Torches ainít just torches, it seems.

Posted by: Trumby

Torches ainít just torches, it seems. - 02/28/13 03:55 PM

My wifeís youngest fella turned up the other night with a smallish head light and when he switched it on it blew my old faithful Electro Lumens out of the water (so to speak).

I use a torch most nights here and often need to have a look down the paddock at night as well as my wifeís plant nursery when the dogs barking, until now I thought I was pretty well armed up with a decent torch. Now I realize just how little I know about them.

Iím after some advice on a torch that can shine out to 80-100 yards and let you really see whatís out there. I now also realize that they donít have to be monsters to do the job.

Not sure what brand/model the young fellaís is, but Iíll find out. I donít want a headlamp type, just a small compact one that really is powerful and quality.
Thanks, Ian.
Posted by: Joshua R.

- 03/01/13 08:30 AM

Ian you can't go wrong with O-light, surefire and Fenix. I have had good luck with these and believe me you can def reach out with some of there models.
Posted by: Need2Know

- 03/01/13 01:45 PM

I own many lights, I'll post more information and suggestions when I find some spare time this weekend.

Are you looking for a pocket-friendly light? I ask because the truly bright ones at 100 meters tend to be a bit bigger...say 2 CR123s/ an 18650 minimum. These can fit in pockets but they are fairly long, sometimes with wide heads, etc.

---While pocket-friendly lights are more often single CR123 powered. Here's the truth...Chinese makers overestimate output, and USA makers think 200 lumens is bright. The perfect light is yet to exist and I believe this is intentional to help sell more lights over time. Why do I believe that???, because I fell into the trap. No one light to rule them all. Opinions differ, but I'm not wrong.
Posted by: PatrickKnight

- 03/01/13 03:09 PM

My Fenix PD32 is as bright as I would ever need at 315 lumens. Its not to big and bulky but it is an amazing light, I really cant recommend it enough. Now if you want a bit more size and a bunch more light look at the PD32 UE it packs an amazing 740 lumens out of a fairly small package.

Both lights are powered by CR123s.

With my PD32 using 2x CR123s I have lit up a sign that was easily 300 yards away. This was on its max setting which is 315 lumens.

- 03/01/13 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;17541
My Fenix PD32 is as bright as I would ever need at 315 lumens. Its not to big and bulky but it is an amazing light, I really cant recommend it enough. Now if you want a bit more size and a bunch more light look at the PD32 UE it packs an amazing 740 lumens out of a fairly small package.

Both lights are powered by CR123s.

With my PD32 using 2x CR123s I have lit up a sign that was easily 300 yards away. This was on its max setting which is 315 lumens.

I've got a PD32, it's an ok light. Most modern lights will throw some illumination to good distances, but if you want to really light things up at 100-300 meters and clearly see all that's to see, I don't think too many smaller lights can.

And I seriously doubt the 700+ lumen claim, it's "measured" on rechargable cells and I'm sure under laboratory conditions (if it's true at all).
Mine is not the 700 lumen version.

- 03/01/13 05:20 PM

Here's some additional "truth"...lights are about as personal a decision as the knife in your pocket. Some love rear clickies, some like a rotary, some like both, some prefer the light to tailstand, some want a strobe feature, some need 2-4 output levels controlled by the clicky or button, some like multiple-button designs, some like....etc. and so on...

- 03/01/13 05:57 PM

I agree there is a good bit of hype when it comes to lights same as there is anything else for that matter. When I said I lit up the sign I knew what it said but I could not read it based on the amount of light my PD32 put down there I could just see there was a sign is all.

I also completely agree that lights are a personal choice based on what you want and how you plan to use the light.

- 03/01/13 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;17548
I agree there is a good bit of hype when it comes to lights same as there is anything else for that matter. When I said I lit up the sign I knew what it said but I could not read it based on the amount of light my PD32 put down there I could just see there was a sign is all.

I also completely agree that lights are a personal choice based on what you want and how you plan to use the light.

A PD32 in your pocket is not a bad choice. It's one of the smaller 2-cell lights packed with features. But for something that turns night into day at great distance....well, maybe the higher output version of the 32 can...but only on rechargable cells RCR123 s and I'm sure the 700+ is a bit embellished.

I have lights by 4 7s, Klarus, NiteCore, etc. that throw some light down range. They are all claiming pretty steep lumen outputs and I try to keep freshly-charged rechargeable cells in them...but I'm still in doubt the claims made in advertising /spec. sheets are accurate.

- 03/01/13 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info so far, I guess a compact torche is what I really need. The one I have is about 8 inches and an 1 3/4 thick, smaller would be better, but I'm still happy with the size I have.
The power is not good when trying it next to a modern torche as I stated above. We both stood out on the lawn and shone it down into my bottom paddock, that's when I realized how poor mine really was.

I've had the Electrolumens about eight or nine years now, so I guess they have come a long way since then. When I bought it I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. laugh It takes 3 AA batteries in a round caset. I've noticed that these newer one takes different battery sizes? I guess they are readily available anyways?

I've been looking at the Fenix PD32 here on line at around $70.00, that seems a fair price to me, also it seems smaller than my old torche.

- 03/01/13 07:32 PM

PD32 is a pocketable light with some nice features. If you are thinking about getting one, I'd certainly look into the higher output version. Because the 300+/- lumen one, while bright, won't do the best work at great distances.

It's about as long as the RMDs handle from choil to butt.

- 03/01/13 08:11 PM

Hey N2K got a battery question for you when it comes to lights (sorry for the slight hijack here Ian). My PD32 still running plain jane 123s atm but I am looking into getting some new batteries soon. I am looking at some AW 18650 with a mAh of 3400. Do you think these would be the best choice or are there better power sources out there. I am really trying to get the most out of my little Fenix.

- 03/01/13 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;17552
Hey N2K got a battery question for you when it comes to lights (sorry for the slight hijack here Ian). My PD32 still running plain jane 123s atm but I am looking into getting some new batteries soon. I am looking at some AW 18650 with a mAh of 3400. Do you think these would be the best choice or are there better power sources out there. I am really trying to get the most out of my little Fenix.

Difficult to beat the convenience of a system w/ 2 18650s to power a light that accepts one cell. It allows you to (most) always have a "fresh" cell ready when the other drains. I popped her open and right now I'm running a pair or RCR123s at well below 3K mAh. I threw in an 18650 @ 3K and not a full or recent charge...and it proved brighter than the cells I had in it. This means little, I'll top off a few cells and and compare brightness to standard CR123s soon. I've got charged cells for other lights around, but nothing I've topped off recently.

- 03/01/13 08:47 PM

These lights are in my collection and scattered about, the lights in my pocket(s) are always rockin' fresh power. Just to disclose. But we're not talking pocket lights in this thread...as 100 yard illumination was the prerequisite.

With that in mind, slightly larger than the PD32 are lights by 4 7s like the Malestrom series that throw nice and bright at a respectable distance.

- 03/02/13 12:44 AM

I've been wondering about this one. The Fenix TK 35.

https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/product/509/fenix-tk35-860-lumen-high-powered-tactical

Any thoughts?

- 03/02/13 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;17552
Hey N2K got a battery question for you when it comes to lights (sorry for the slight hijack here Ian).

No hijack. laugh I'm real interested in batteries as well. laugh

- 03/02/13 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;17562

https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/product/509/fenix-tk35-860-lumen-high-powered-tactical

Any thoughts?

You discovered a light I do not own. But I have an opinion / comment...it's running in 4 CR123s / 2 18650s. Do purchase a charger and 4 18650 cells if decide you want this light. The cartridge thing is a bit cumbersome unless it allows some shock protection or other benefit...just seems like an extra step to mess with every time you freshen the power.

Similar output can be had for shorter periods of time with lights like the NiteCore MT 26 (readily available for about $65 USD). It runs on 1 18650 and will throw a claimed "800" lumen in short duration, it claims the light steps down the output after 3 minutes. And if cells are low, the "turbo mode aka 800 lumens" may be disabled but lower outputs still function.

- 03/02/13 01:31 AM

Please understand I'm not suggesting the purchase of any of these lights. I have high hopes every time I place an order and am often left wanting. I'm still on the lookout for "the" light. The Chinese lights will not feel the build quality of USA made lights. But USA made can be either low on output, high on price or both.

- 03/02/13 08:17 AM

I am loving this thread. I have just started to get into buying light. Like you N2K I am still searching for THE light.

- 03/02/13 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.;17580
I am loving this thread. I have just started to get into buying light. Like you N2K I am still searching for THE light.

It does not exist. And that comes from a guy with EDC HDS(s).

- 03/02/13 12:30 PM

I completely understand the idea in tactical situation where 200-250 lumens can be blinding as it bounces off internal walls, etc. but when we need to see outside or in large areas...throw in a bit more output please...I'll manage my power cells and take responsability for fast depletion. If I need to see...let there be light. Isn't this what stepped output levels and rotary dials are for?

Oops, little rant.

- 03/02/13 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;17562

Any thoughts?

Take a gander at the Sure Fire P2X Fury.

- 03/02/13 02:57 PM

Topped off the cells last night and did a quick side by side of CR123s, RCR123s and 18650 @ 3K mAh in the PD 32 @ claimed 315 max lumens....bottom line, indoors there does not appear to be any remarkable difference. I'll take them outside after the sun sets and check throw. I know it takes a good jump in output to be easily decernable, I didn't really notice that indoors.

- 03/02/13 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17588
Take a gander at the Sure Fire P2X Fury.

Will do, I nearly pulled the trigger on the TK 35 last night, but baulked for some reason, I want to try and get it close to right this time.
Posted by: Carl Theile

- 03/02/13 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;17636
Will do, I nearly pulled the trigger on the TK 35 last night, but baulked for some reason, I want to try and get it close to right this time.

Ian-
Take a gander here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?135-Recommend-Me-a-Light-For&

And at this: (Google) Eagletac M2XC4

-carl

- 03/02/13 11:27 PM

Thanks Carl,

I switched over to the Candlepower forums and straight away found a thread comparing the torche I'm thinking of buying with three of four others.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...ayman-V60C&

- 03/02/13 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;17643
Thanks Carl,

I switched over to the Candlepower forums and straight away found a thread comparing the torche I'm thinking of buying with three of four others.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...ayman-V60C&

Here is another possible consideration: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...SHOTS-and-more!

Just one caution: Consider battery life and rechargers. At such high output, these things eat batteries like snacks. I have some high output lights that I use in a momentary operation ....just bursts of light, rather than full "on". That preserves battery life ...or extends battery life. There is nothing worse than a dead-output (formerly high-output) light when you need it.
-carl

Good luck, anyway......:)

- 03/03/13 01:06 AM

I was going to reco. CPF as an info source but didn't know if it was PC to do so. That forum often comes up towards the top of most Internet flashlight searching, so I figured it to be an easy find.

I too use momentary over most constant-on...look for when purchasing or set my lights up for momentary-on if its a programmable light.

Batteries---recharables are convenient as long as you don't see keeping up with them and buying the charging system as inconvenient. Some say that's a hassle and replacing with disposables is easier for their needs. A few lights on the market recharge in a cradle, that's convenient or cumbersome depending on how you plan to use the light also.

- 03/03/13 01:08 AM

I also am trying to keep this conversation easy to follow for flashlight neophytes. CPF can get technical and quick.

- 03/03/13 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17649
I also am trying to keep this conversation easy to follow for flashlight neophytes. CPF can get technical and quick.

Flashlights are no longer a simple matter. They are very high-tech ....unless you just want an aluminum tube to store dead batteries. CPF, though technical (Like SRKW) is for junkies of the subject matter ...but good data can be had.
-carl
Posted by: elof_alv

- 03/03/13 05:31 PM

Ian, any luck finding one?

There's a brand available locally called LedLenser. They have been getting good reviews, I have one on the way.

A fella in Tassie on another forum has P17, something like the old MagLight baton/torch, for $70 posted on a local forum. It's not small, a foot long, 800 grams but has a beam range of 330 meters.

- 03/03/13 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;17677
Flashlights are no longer a simple matter. They are very high-tech ....unless you just want an aluminum tube to store dead batteries. CPF, though technical (Like SRKW) is for junkies of the subject matter ...but good data can be had.
-carl

All I was saying is that this thread asked about a light that throws well at distance, and that the topic of flashlights is so daunting that active forums exist and thrive on the general topic. So, it's easy to get overwhelmed with data.

- 03/03/13 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17686
All I was saying is that this thread asked about a light that throws well at distance, and that the topic of flashlights is so daunting that active forums exist and thrive on the general topic. So, it's easy to get overwhelmed with data.

We are agreed.
-carl

- 03/03/13 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;17681
Ian, any luck finding one?

Not yet mate. I'm more confused now than before I started. laugh

- 03/03/13 08:24 PM

I'd say you need to stay away from Surefire, excellent torches as they are it is pain in the arse to get the batteries for them here.
The big advantge of LedLenser is that they use common batteries AA and AAA, and D for the large ones.
No point having a torch that you can't find batteries for.

I just got mine it is the P5, 5 Inches long, light, 1 AA battery. 105 lumens, supposedly beams up to 130 meters. Has a small belt holster as well.

Picture with Swamp Warden for size:

- 03/03/13 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;17705
I'd say you need to stay away from Surefire, excellent torches as they are it is pain in the arse to get the batteries for them here.
The big advantge of LedLenser is that they use common batteries AA and AAA, and D for the large ones.
No point having a torch that you can't find batteries for.

I just got mine it is the P5, 5 Inches long, light, 1 AA battery. 105 lumens, supposedly beams up to 130 meters. Has a small belt holster as well.

That light won't get the 100 yard illumination done and done. Beam might light objects at that distance but you likely won't be able to dicern a wallaby from a small kangaroo.

Are CR123 camera batteries or 18650s all that uncommon over there?

- 03/03/13 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;17691
We are agreed.
-carl

Never think we disagree..just further explaining myself in continued effort to be easily understood in a thread that can easily turn complicated.

- 03/03/13 09:20 PM

It's dark here, so I'll go do the cell-tests in that PD32...only because I said I would, as it is not the right light for this 100 yard task either.

- 03/03/13 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17707
That light won't get the 100 yard illumination done and done. Beam might light objects at that distance but you likely won't be able to dicern a wallaby from a small kangaroo.

Are CR123 camera batteries or 18650s all that uncommon over there?

Wallaby is a small kangaroo...
I was just giving an example, not saying get this one.
CR123 are not VERY hard to get, but living out in the bush having a torch that runs on standard batteries you can buy everywhere helps. In my humble opinion...

- 03/03/13 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;17710
Wallaby is a small kangaroo...
I was just giving an example, not saying get this one.
CR123 are not VERY hard to get, but living out in the bush having a torch that runs on standard batteries you can buy everywhere helps. In my humble opinion...

I thought a little Roo was a Joey...:D

I've been looking at the PD32 more since it came up early in this thread. The Ultimate Edition might deserve a look. If you don't mind that the second button is on the side the light's not too large, not too expensive and does have temporary-on with the tail button. It claims up to an hour runtime at a claimed 740 lumens. Very likely it's fewer.

I took my 315 lumen version out back and can say that the 18650 with a fresh charge does seem to appear a bit brighter than CR123 disposables and my lower mAh RCr123s. It showed greater flood at distance also at about the 80 yard distance. I'd be illuminating the neighbors if I shined further.

- 03/03/13 09:57 PM

Ian-
Take a gander at this:

http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/SR90.htm

Down near the bottom of the review are some distance shots (100M)

-carl

- 03/04/13 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17707
That light won't get the 100 yard illumination done and done.

I'm guessing that there isn't any 'street lighting'anywhere near where Ian lives. You should see the darkness away from the cities here! you can't see your finger when its two inches in front of your nose. The beam from a torch looks like a damn lightsaber.

- 03/04/13 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;17721
I'm guessing that there isn't any 'street lighting'anywhere near where Ian lives. You should see the darkness away from the cities here! you can't see your finger when its two inches in front of your nose. The beam from a torch looks like a damn lightsaber.

No "moonlight"?

I'm aware in no-light situations even minimal lighting appears super bright.

I'm a fan of lights powerful enough to see at a respectable distance even when the sun is shining...say obvious beam appearing on a wall at 6-8 meters and appearing at greater distances too.

- 03/04/13 09:25 AM

Here's the 315 lumen PD32...I believe the one with the 740 claimed lumen "burst" mode is the same size. I am trying to only recommend lights with realistic price points. It's easy to spend large amounts on a light. The reason I'm not saying go spend $300-600 on a light is because I often find that one light is not a do it all. And would rather my friends look at an affordable first, so not to feel buyers remorse if it turns out not to meet expectations.

- 03/04/13 09:40 AM

I have a couple Four Sevens Malestrom series lights and think the MM-X might need some consideration.

I don't have it, but do have the X7...very similar light and it throws nice and bright at distances like those in the first post. XML LED has a nice cooler hue to it also that helps see things better than warmer light at distance.

- 03/04/13 04:16 PM

Nope, no street lights. laugh But full moon is nearly as good as a torche.

I've downloaded a few reviews from You Tube and am loving the review of the Fenix PD32 T6 Ultimate edition 740 Lumens. I like the option of having all that power if really needed, it's compact size, and the fact that I can run 18650 rechargeable batteries as I would buy a battery charger and a couple of spare batteries.

Is there anything wrong with my choice?? AS I lnow bugger all about torches. laugh

- 03/04/13 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;17745
Nope, no street lights. laugh But full moon is nearly as good as a torche.

I've downloaded a few reviews from You Tube and am loving the review of the Fenix PD32 T6 Ultimate edition 740 Lumens. I like the option of having all that power if really needed, it's compact size, and the fact that I can run 18650 rechargeable batteries as I would buy a battery charger and a couple of spare batteries.

Is there anything wrong with my choice?? AS I lnow bugger all about torches. laugh

Not a bad idea in my opinion. The light can be had for around $75 USD over here, plus the money invested in a charger and a pair of 18650s is not misspent as the 18650s fit in many lights. So even if there's no big cost advantage over disposables for awhile at least the 18650 set up gives flexibility if you become addicted to flashlights like many (me included) do.

- 03/04/13 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17746
Not a bad idea in my opinion. The light can be had for around $75 USD over here, plus the money invested in a charger and a pair of 18650s is not misspent as the 18650s fit in many lights. So even if there's no big cost advantage over disposables for awhile at least the 18650 set up gives flexibility if you become addicted to flashlights like many (me included) do.

Can you name a good company for purchase in the US?
Our dollar value is about the same as yours here.

- 03/04/13 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;17747
Can you name a good company for purchase in the US?
Our dollar value is about the same as yours here.

PM sent...they may sell quickly if we show them some love. So I sent you info. on a Web site that has them. I've done business with this site in the past and I will again in the future...good prices and no issues.

- 03/04/13 06:25 PM

I almost ordered one for myself with all this conversation playing out, but I'm good on lights for a bit...until something truly impressive comes along...I am a flashaholic.

- 03/04/13 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17748
PM sent...they may sell quickly if we show them some love. So I sent you info. on a Web site that has them. I've done business with this site in the past and I will again in the future...good prices and no issues.

On a double check they might not have any in stock..mad

- 03/04/13 08:56 PM

Thanks for that. I can wait until there back in stock, anyways. cool

- 03/04/13 09:37 PM

Sent ya a pm of a good store Ian.

- 03/04/13 09:52 PM

Patrick,
Any chance of sending the link to me too?

- 03/04/13 09:52 PM

Ian-
Make sure to order the Eagletac 18650 (3100mAh) battery (ies). They will give you a longer runtumes. I am told they will work in your choice.
-carl

- 03/04/13 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;17764
Ian-
Make sure to order the Eagletac 18650 (3100mAh) battery (ies). They will give you a longer runtumes. I am told they will work in your choice.
-carl

Excellent advice as the only way to reliably hit near the max lumens claimed on the spec sheets is with rechargable cells. A pair of 18650s and a charger with 2-bays will provide a lot of flexibility. I've got a few charging systems I picked up here and there and find those that allow for both home and 12-volt charging come in handy and further expand flexibility.

- 03/04/13 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;17755
Sent ya a pm of a good store Ian.

Cool, I sent him a few...every time I thought I found the light I looked a bit deeper and noticed it wasn't currently in inventory. But I'm sure with the links were sending, guys here can find one.

- 03/05/13 06:30 PM

Well, I've bought a Fenix PD32 T6 Ultimate edition 740 Lumens. Thanks to everyone for their help in choosing my new torch. laugh Also for the effort in finding available sources where they are still in stock.
Where I purchased mine they were showing that they had 10 in stock, this morning I pressed the availability button and there is 21 Ė 31 day waiting time. WOW!
Iím still not sure that I got in, in time as I was scratching around looking for the other stuff I needed. laugh
I also purchased a two battery charger and 3 additional 18650 rechargeable batteries.

Thanks again all.
Ian.

- 03/05/13 09:27 PM

Let us know how you like it Ian.

- 03/05/13 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;17831
Let us know how you like it Ian.

Ditto
-carl

- 03/06/13 02:25 AM

I'm not too sure what this is all about?? confused It's not a Hand Gun I'm importing?

Please note that no action on your part is needed at this time. This email is just to keep you informed about the progress of your order.

Thank you for ordering:

We apologize, but your order has temporarily been placed on hold.
We are currently in the process of verifying the details of your order for export control. Usually this process takes about 1-5 business days. Additionally, payment verification information may be requested.

As soon as the verification process is complete and your order is ready to ship, we will send you an e-mail confirming the order's contents, shipping method and tracking information.

At this time your credit card HAS NOT been charged. We will not charge your credit card until we are ready to ship the order.
If you have any further questions, feel free to check our FAQ page at http://www.opticsplanet.com/restrictions-faq.html or contact us.

Thank you and have a great day!

- 03/06/13 05:39 AM

Ian,
They're probably trying to make sure it'll get to you. There is a ban on laser pointers/devices import and they might have had some issues sending stuff in the past... Ain't it great to live in the land of the free?

- 03/06/13 11:17 AM

If you added "batteries" power cells to your order it is possible that could slow shipment. As recently as January 2013 the USPS had flipp-flopped on policies about shipping batteries internationally. Different shippers may also have differing policies.

O-planet should be able to get you squared away. If it's a "out of stock" issue or a battery shipping issue or other thing like import restriction (like mentioned above), I'm hopeful it all works out quickly and drama-free.

Worst case senerio if it's a battery shipping issue is have them ship everything but.

Then look local for 18650s. Since the light will run CR123s you will be able to use the light even if rechargable cells prove difficult to source.

- 03/06/13 11:21 AM

The message is also very likely a generic auto-reply on International orders.

- 03/06/13 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17877
The message is also very likely a generic auto-reply on International orders.

Yeah, I'm thinking that as well, though I've never had a message like that before. Batteries are readily obtainable here in all sizes, just maybe not locally. It's only a matter of getting them on line.

https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/category/batteries

- 03/06/13 06:33 PM

Ian,

It might be worthwhile to shoot an inquisitive e-mail to them with your order number, etc. or call them.

This Ultimate Edition is a bit elusive.

This is why I (sorry for it) sent you a few PMs with a couple or so links to possible places to buy the light. You could call each and see who will work with you.

- 03/07/13 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;17876
If you added "batteries" power cells to your order it is possible that could slow shipment. As recently as January 2013 the USPS had flipp-flopped on policies about shipping batteries internationally. Different shippers may also have differing policies.

Yep, that is what happened. I have asked for the order to be processed without the batteries, as I can get then here easily.

Greetings from OpticsPlanet.com!

Thank you for ordering the following item(s):
==============================================================
Fenix PD32 Ultimate Edition 740 Lumen LED Flashlight, Black FENIX-PD32-T6
ExtremeBeam 18650 Rechargeable Battery 2B, Gray, N/A EB-XA-A02
ExtremeBeam 18650 Rechargeable Battery 1B, Gray, N/A EB-XA-A01
ExtremeBeam 18650 Double Charger with Car Adapter, Black, N/A EB-XA-B03 ==============================================================
Please note that:
==============================================================
ExtremeBeam 18650 Rechargeable Battery 2B, Gray, N/A EB-XA-A02
ExtremeBeam 18650 Rechargeable Battery 1B, Gray, N/A EB-XA-A01 ==============================================================
cannot be included with your order.

Unfortunately, due to Hazmat shipping restrictions we are unable to ship these items. Therefore, we are forced to remove this item(s) from your order.

Please reply as quickly as possible via phone at (847) 513-6201 ext. 315 or email at RM@OpticsPlanet.com whether you are still interested in receiving the remainder of your order. If so we will get it out to you as soon as possible.

Please note that if we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will cancel your order and you will not be charged.

For detailed description of our International Policy and Export Restrictions, please visit http://www.opticsplanet.com/our-policy.html#international or contact us directly. We apologize for any inconvenience that this cancellation may cause you.

Please note: U.S. Government Export Control Laws and Regulations prohibit us from exporting or assisting with the export of restricted items without proper licensing. We must comply with all existing U.S. Government Laws and Regulations. We hope that you can understand the reason why one part of your order has been cancelled.

If you have any further questions, feel free to check our FAQ page at http://www.opticsplanet.com/restrictions-faq.html or contact us.

Thank you in advance for your prompt response. Have a great day!

Best regards,
OpticsPlanet.com Risk Management Team

Export control laws and regulations are complex. Any summaries of such laws and regulations provided by OpticsPlanet.com herein are not comprehensive and are not to be taken as legal advice or counseling.
Posted by: Szilard

- 03/07/13 09:14 PM

I know this has been resolved a lot as well but I like my Fenix LD12 a lot, and my Quark QT2A-X. I have another smaller Fenix E11 that is also great. All of them have served me well as EDCs. All of them are button press and the first two have adjustable settings.

- 03/12/13 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Szilard;17971
I know this has been resolved a lot as well but I like my Fenix LD12 a lot, and my Quark QT2A-X. I have another smaller Fenix E11 that is also great. All of them have served me well as EDCs. All of them are button press and the first two have adjustable settings.

Fenix, seems to have a good name. cool

I've ordered a small torch as well and have re-ordered the batteries from here in OZ.

- 03/12/13 10:23 PM

Just wait for the runt's to show up now- You will dazzle them. laugh
-carl

- 03/24/13 10:38 PM

Well, my hot dog torch turned up. cool laugh it lights up the paddock like daytime. laugh

- 03/25/13 09:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;18794
Well, my hot dog torch turned up. cool laugh it lights up the paddock like daytime. laugh

Good to hear. Very pleased to learn you're healing too.

What addendum light did you choose "ordered a small torch"?

It's a slippery and expensive slope trying to find the right light.

Personally, I'd love a rotary HDS with twice the current maximum output and a lot less overall weight. They are robust, but far too chunky/heavy to be an end-all type device at current output levels.
Would also be nice if you could access the various outputs without first turning the light on, then pausing before double and/or tripple clicking. Quirks, but things that have bugged me a little. I'm not bashing, the HDS are my primary EDC lights.

- 03/26/13 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;18825

What addendum light did you choose "ordered a small torch"?

I only ordered the very small 10 lumens torch to read in bed with. laugh

- 03/26/13 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;18881
I only ordered the very small 10 lumens torch to read in bed with. laugh

So I guess you've got one of those Kindles without a backlight or perhaps you like things more traditional.cool

- 03/26/13 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;18794

Good- failing eyes will thank you :p
laugh

-carl

- 03/27/13 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;18910
So I guess you've got one of those Kindles without a backlight or perhaps you like things more traditional.cool

That's exactly right, I read in bed with my Kindle, and the little Fenix E01 is just about perfect for a reading light.

I also gave the new torch a workout tonight as well, and it's a beauty, I have two fresh batteries all charged up and ready to go as well. laugh

- 03/27/13 08:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;18928
That's exactly right, I read in bed with my Kindle, and the little Fenix E01 is just about perfect for a reading light.

I also gave the new torch a workout tonight as well, and it's a beauty, I have two fresh batteries all charged up and ready to go as well. laugh

Ian, please understand all I'm doing is guessing at things, could be a bit spooky how I deciphered not only the battery issue with your order but now suggested that you own a Kindle. Lucky guesses, that is all.

As for Kindles, the new Kindle Fire HDs are neat little devices. I don't have one but many around me do and I have used them. Basically, I thought it a bit small, but more recently I think they added a larger version. IDK, I'll see what is released in the Holiday shopping season at the end of the year.

Glad to hear the flashlights (torches) are serving you well. It's never an easy decision to buy a light unless you know how you plan to use it. You knew how they would be used and that helped narrow all the options.

- 03/29/13 08:25 AM

Glad you are enjoying your new torches Ian.

- 03/30/13 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.;19105
Glad you are enjoying your new torches Ian.

The only problem I'm having is keeping my wife's paws of it. laugh She goes out every night squishing snails with a torche, as soon as she saw my new one in action I've had to hide it. laugh

- 04/01/13 02:05 PM

Sounds like a good reason to get another one. wink

Re: - 10/28/14 10:54 PM

It seems I'm in the market for another torch!

After constant bickering with my wife over my good torch, she takes it out most nights with the dog searching for Possums. frown they conveniently forgets to give it back to me.

I like to use it each night reading my Kindle on low power. You might remember I bought a Fenix PD32 UE.

Now getting to my main point here, I have made an executive decision to buy her one for xmas. grin

I subcribe to a local torch company that sells all major brands, but have an EagleTac T25C2 XM-L2 U2 Flashlight - 1180 Lumens on special...

Just wondering if any here can recommend the above brand, or should I bight the bullet and pay extra for the one I have. grin

Re: - 10/29/14 01:59 PM

I hate to tell you but if she likes the one you have you better get her the same thing. She will think you don't love her as much if you go with something less expensive. LOL

The above mentioned is a good torch if you decide to go with it.
Posted by: Andy the Aussie

Re: - 10/29/14 03:49 PM

That is a good looking torch Ian... !! Is it a local place that has them ?? I recently got a Zebralight SC52 and have been a bit amazed by that little thing !!!!! It has replaced a Surefire in my hunting pack !

Re: - 10/29/14 05:28 PM

G'day Andy,
I subscribe to the LED Torch shop in Victoria and have bought stuff off them a couple of times now, they are good to deal with.

I bought the EagleTac as it was on 15% discount, if she who must be obeyed grizzles that mine is better, I'll just swap. grin

Re: - 10/30/14 02:47 PM

Swap wives or flashlights???? wink

-carl

Re: - 10/30/14 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile

-carl

LOL Now you've really got me thinking. grin

Re: - 10/31/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby
Originally Posted By: Carl Theile

-carl

LOL Now you've really got me thinking. grin

(smirk) Always helps to have at least one other perspective smile

Kinda like the old story of a fella who raised fine gaited horses. Day he got married, he hooked one of his best to the carriage that was to take them on honeymoon. At the first gate, he shied and sidestepped; the man quietly said THAT's ONE. A bit further down the road he broke stride and the man quietly said THAT's TWO. The wife heard him both times but said nothing. A bit further down the road a feather blew across the road and again the horse broke stride.

The man said THAT's three and shot the horse. The wife went ballistic, screaming at the man about what he had done. When she settled down the man said: THAT's ONE and they lived happily ever after. wink

-carl

Re: - 10/31/14 10:47 PM

lol. Nothing wrong in making a statement early in the relationship. Not that I'd be game enough to try. grin

Re: - 11/01/14 09:03 PM

Well, never claiming to be smart, I told Rose the story early in the relationship but she beat me to the punchline with "That's one". smile

-carl

Re: - 11/02/14 06:27 PM

Back in the sixties I used to frequent a little bush pub in the nights. There used to be a fella that would, after his last beer, say, well I'm heading home to give the missus a tune up, whether she needs it or not.

Until one evening he stayed later than usual. In walked a woman that was twice his size, grabbed him by the ear and scull dragged him out to his truck. He never mentioned his missus after that. grin

True story!

Re: - 11/03/14 03:47 PM

Now thats just funny.