The Swamp Rat Pet Thread

Posted by: worldwood

The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/14 05:50 PM

Since i just got a new puppy and i was curious as to the pets everyone else has, but I dont want to turn the chat thread into the pet talk thread, so i figured it would be cool to start a thread for everyone to show off their pets.

Here is Kiba, my new Shiba Inu puppy. He is 11 weeks old and an awesome addition to our family.

So how about it Rats, show your pets!!
Posted by: Carl Theile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/14 06:06 PM

I have a pair of Mainecoon cats, one male and one female. The male weighs 33 pounds; the female weighs 23 pounds. Neither is fat. The male can stand on hind legs and put front legs on the kitchen counter to see what I am doing (especially if there is red meat of any kind on the counter).

We also have a dog (toy poodle) and two cockatiels. Then there are the barn cats, the deer, the turkeys, the opossums, the raccoons, a fox and a coyote who all live outside with me. smile

-carl
Posted by: Thesnakeman2

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/14 06:20 PM

i have a black lab mix named daisy and a merauke(its a subspecies hailing form papua new guninea) blue tounge skink named blaze

pics will follow after i find some
Posted by: Drumrboy

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/14 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile
I have a pair of Mainecoon cats, one male and one female. The male weighs 33 pounds; the female weighs 23 pounds. Neither is fat. The male can stand on hind legs and put front legs on the kitchen counter to see what I am doing (especially if there is red meat of any kind on the counter).

We also have a dog (toy poodle) and two cockatiels. Then there are the barn cats, the deer, the turkeys, the opossums, the raccoons, a fox and a coyote who all live outside with me. smile

-carl

And don't forget that other animal your wife has to deal with! cool

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/14 10:51 PM

I didn't. I live outside with the less domestic of the "pets". smile

-carl
Posted by: Trumby

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 12:11 AM

1 Dawg
3 Cats (only one worth feeding} grin
Possums by the hundreds (ring tails and brush tails)
Wallaby's crashing around all night
Parrots squawking all day

My wife keeps feeding these buggers and their telling their friends. laugh

Here's the dawq.

Posted by: Hard Knocks

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 01:55 AM

Don't have pets so much as hunting dogs, but they are some of my best friends smile

Congratulations on that new pup, WW. He really is a beautiful dog.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 09:33 AM

Sounds like rats commingle with other animals great smile

Love the pics too,

Ian what kind of dog is that? I love seeing dogs that dont mind jumping in some water. Most the ones i have had were scared of the water, we did have 1 when i was younger who loved to swim, but that one was an oddball

HK, A nice group you got there, they look like some great workers and companions.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 10:24 AM

We got some more snow this morning. Dog likes it... I dont.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 04:10 PM

He's a great looking pup, WW.

My dog is an Australian Kelpie, they really are for working and need a lot of space, otherwise they go stir crazy.

My wife goes out hunting possums in the bush everynight with it. grin
As soon as the dog detects a possum, it stays under the tree and waits for my wife to find it with the torch. laugh

The bloody dog will go day and night if you let it.

I have seen them in suburbia where bordom turns them into chasing cars, or running around and around the yard until they wear a track a foot deep. At home here she acts like any normal dog, if it is a cold morning she will take off down the paddock at full speed, race out through the bush and run for a couple of miles, then come back ready for her breakfast. laugh

They are totally devoted to their owners and bond more strongly to one. They also live to an old age and up to 20 is not uncommon.
They are great workers on sheep and cattle.

Cheers, Ian.
Posted by: Lora

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 07:39 PM

This is my little lady, she's part Husky, Border Collie and my father swears part wolf. I've had her about four years now and she knows she's got it good. She is a pretty good dog. She caught a possum the other morning and presented it to me like she had just mauled a bear or something. She was so proud. In the second picture, she's mad at me for not letting her catch the "toy" in the yard. That toy was one of the neighbor's kittens. She was so mad that she wouldn't even look at me.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 08:43 PM

This is my big bog Magnus. Proudly showing off a few rats…

Magnus and his best friend Edmund. Edmund is now a good bit north of 130lbs.

Twister, the lap dog…

All 3 boys here.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 09:02 PM

Lap dogs smile

Growing up I'd heard the term "lap dog" and just figured they ran laps, like greyhounds, to stay in shape. smile

My cat is a lap cat....

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 10:58 PM

DB, Being three males, do they ever get into brawls ?

I know that when I had Stan, there would be no way that I could have another male in the place.

He was fine with our Kelpie (female), in fact he would usually let her go to the feed dish first, a couple of times she tried to take his bone of him, and that would cause him to fire up. grin

She was always safe though, as she could easily out run him. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/18/14 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Lora
In the second picture, she's mad at me for not letting her catch the "toy" in the yard. That toy was one of the neighbor's kittens. She was so mad that she wouldn't even look at me.

Well, you were a spoil sport about it all. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/19/14 07:34 AM

Ian, two of the boys are brothers (twister and Edmund), so sometimes they act like brothers. They get into it occasionally but we can usually tell when it's coming. The posturing gets a lot more frequent and then next thing you know.... Of course it always tends to happen when I'm gone and my wife has to pull them apart.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/19/14 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy
Of course it always tends to happen when I'm gone and my wife has to pull them them with water apart.

LOL. She would be impressed with that.

We had a dog fight here, some years ago now, I was up the bush loading bushrock as I did everyday.
My wife tried everything she could, throwing buckets of water only livened them up, they went for nearly two hours until I drove in and pulled them apart.
The old dog ended up having a heart attack and died an hour later.

One was a Bull Mastiff and the other an English Mastiff, I never kept two males after that. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/19/14 07:38 PM

There is slways the problem of "alpha" with males. Like Ian, I only keep one male favoring peace and lower vet expense. That said, my female 6 pound poodle 17 years old and blind is alpha among cats, dogs, birds and humans in our house.

There is a great horned owl that tried for her once (she was younger) and she attacked. To be fair, I had distracted it, otherwise she would have fattened that owl. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/19/14 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby
Well, you were a spoil sport about it all. grin

I didn't want to ruin the little girl next door's day. She loves her kittens and I would feel terrible knowing that I had let Jaz destroy something so dear to her.

Great pictures everyone! Pets are better than people a good majority of the time.
Posted by: Need2Know

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/19/14 09:39 PM

I'm confused, didn't we already have a pet thread?

Anyway, nice animals your pets have! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/19/14 09:44 PM

I found a pet thread on the Busse sub-forum of BF, but before i made this one i searched this forum for an old one and didnt find it.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/19/14 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know

LOL. You can't have too many pet threads. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/19/14 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know

LOL. You can't have too many pet threads. grin

Agreed. smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/22/14 12:47 PM

Kitties!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/22/14 02:12 PM

LOL that last pic is too funny, that kitten has a look on its face like its out for revenge HAHA
Posted by: Andy the Aussie

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/22/14 06:19 PM

English Setters.... brother and sister (different litters)... Rogue (the boy) and Alli-Gator (the girl)... as I type this they are both less than two feet away....

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/22/14 07:55 PM

LOL. I like their Busse coats. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/01/14 06:08 PM

Andy those pictures are great bud!!

My wife says in this picture Kiba looks more like a wild animal and the bear looks more like a pet LOL
Posted by: Private Klink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/03/14 04:02 PM

Kibas are REALLY cute dogs! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/03/14 07:07 PM

Great pictures guys! Andy, I always love seeing pictures of your dogs! WW, Kiba is adorable!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/03/14 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: worldwood
LOL that last pic is too funny, that kitten has a look on its face like its out for revenge HAHA

I'm not sure what he was after, he just pounced up on my knee and hung there staring at me for a little bit. Long enough for me to pull out my phone and snap a picture.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/04/14 09:28 PM

We have a tamed bush cat here that my wife started feeding a few years ago.
He would have to be the ugliest bloody cat I've ever seen, He has a head on him like a robbers dog. grin

I'll try and get a picture of him later. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 04:51 PM

We have a tamed bush cat here that my wife started feeding a few years ago.
He would have to be the ugliest bloody cat I've ever seen, He has a head on him like a robbers dog. grin

I'll try and get a picture of him later. laugh

Say, Ian- You sure you were not looking into a mirror? smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Private Klink
Kibas are REALLY cute dogs! wink

I agree, I don't think we have them in OZ?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 05:55 PM

-carl

LOL. Can't be that. grin This fellas way too athletic to be me.
I swear he's the Rocky Marciano of the cat world, he has the other two sneaking around looking out for him in case of ambush.

Actually the only friend he has here is the dog, strange as it may be.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 07:39 PM

Thanks guys!!

Ian they are a Japanese breed. Called Shiba Inu... Not real common here either. When i take him outside i always get asked if he is mixed with fox or wolf or what exactly he is LMAO, when my wife took him to get his shots a lady in the parking lot asked if she had to have a special permit or a license to have "that animal" My wife said no its just a puppy LOL!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 09:22 PM

I think the reactions that some pets get from people are hilarious. When I first took Jaz home, the UPS guy asked when I got the wolf. I was confused at first, then it hit me that he was confused about her.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 09:27 PM

-carl

LOL. Can't be that. grin This fellas way too athletic to be me.
I swear he's the Rocky Marciano of the cat world, he has the other two sneaking around looking out for him in case of ambush.

Actually the only friend he has here is the dog, strange as it may be.

Both semi-wild maybe?

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 10:09 PM

I think the reactions that some pets get from people are hilarious. When I first took Jaz home, the UPS guy asked when I got the wolf. I was confused at first, then it hit me that he was confused about her.

Yea some huskies can look almost identical to wolves. Those are my wife's favorite breed, every time she sees one she gets all smiley.

This is pretty neat. Side by side it looks like a shiba inu could be the baby of the other 2 LMAO

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 10:32 PM

Meet Butch. grin

He was growling at me when I took the photo. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/05/14 11:23 PM

Good thing for you that Butch isn't about 400 pounds! crazy

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/06/14 01:38 AM

Meet Butch. grin

He was growling at me when I took the photo. laugh

I'll bet that dude could bite the snot out of a guy. No wonder the others are afraid of a surprise attack! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/06/14 04:11 AM

Butch looks awesome!! Name fits him well!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/06/14 09:05 AM

He has eyes like a lion! eek........................ grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/06/14 08:23 PM

Butch looks like he's fed up with everyone's crap and is ready to take things into his own hands...paws?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/06/14 10:11 PM

I'd say Butch isn't very happy at the moment.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/06/14 10:53 PM

I'd say Butch isn't very happy at the moment.

Butch is never happy. grin
I often see him sleeping side by side with the dog, it appears they have become mates.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/08/14 03:48 PM

I like that photo of Butch. I can relate ...but then I've always gotten along with critters. We have a barn cat that looks a bit like him- but grey and white. A Great Horned Owl also lives in the barn. I've no doubt there is a grudging respect between them.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/08/14 04:24 PM

I like that photo of Butch. I can relate ...but then I've always gotten along with critters. We have a barn cat that looks a bit like him- but grey and white. A Great Horned Owl also lives in the barn. I've no doubt there is a grudging respect between them.

-carl

That possum that I showed asleep in the bike helmet sleeps in there every day now, my wife leaves him a slice of wholegrain bread and some apple every night.
She has named him Harley. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/08/14 05:07 PM

I like that shot as well. Harley is a perfect name. Rose is always feeding local critters, and word gets around, plus they have offspring taught where the handouts can be had. Both of us are going to have to move out for want of space. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/11/14 10:08 PM

I grew up in a family that never had pet cats, we always just fed all the strays and barn cats that showed up. Some were more tame than others, and there were quite a few that were too feral to even think about trying to pick up. I've always been partial to dogs, but there are some pretty cool cats out there. I can't say that we ever fed opossums or raccoons, they typically met the business end of a bullet. We did take in a duck that got froze to a puddle in the barn one winter that we affectionately named Howard.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/11/14 11:00 PM

I'm a dog lover myself, but I do put up with the cats, one I call Tiger is an incredible hunter, and is a real asset on the property.

One is old and useless, he's name is Smokey.

Then there is Butch, a proper mongrel. grin

Our Possums I think are different than yours ?, we have Brush Tails and Ring Tails here.

Brush Tail

Ring Tail

Posted by: Magoo

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/12/14 02:04 AM

That first possum is bloody fat, Ian. What doe the missus feed them ? wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/12/14 08:50 AM

A LOT!!! laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/13/14 07:53 PM

The ones we have around here look quite a bit different than yours. They can be cute

But they are some angry buggers when they grow up and you get too close to them or their babies.

They look a lot like over gown rats if you ask me...

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/13/14 09:24 PM

They sure look like they could give a nasty bite, lol.

Ours are protected here, unlike New Zealand where they are in plague proportions.

Over there they are culled for their skins, I have several pairs of possum fur socks. They are knitted just the same as wool and are incredibly warm and durable.Actually my wife has stolen most of mine. grin

Their winter pelts are also valued.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/13/14 11:16 PM

You say possum fur socks and all I can think of is llama wool. Possum wool seems so strange to me, but it's fur. Growing up, our neighbors had a llama and alpaca farm. They became friends of ours quickly and their mom made wool from the fur and was constantly making all sorts of things for us. Llama wool makes some pretty warm gloves, I will say that without question.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/14/14 12:13 AM

We have a Alpaca farm just down the road from us here and they now have all their young on the ground for this season, When I drive past you see the little buggers running everywhere. grin Just to fill you in on the possum sox, here is a New Zealand web page where they sell the products on line. I bought six pairs last time, all blue/grey in color, like I said, once my wife tried a pair out they all started going missing. laugh

http://www.thepossumstore.com/

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/14/14 12:57 AM

Possum and Merino-
Let me try a pair, Ian, and I'd bet you lose them as well. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/14/14 03:36 AM

Thanks for that link, Ian. Looks good ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/14/14 07:36 PM

There is possum everything on that cite! Holy smokes! I never would have thought.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/16/14 05:37 PM

There is possum everything on that cite! Holy smokes! I never would have thought.

Yep, puts a whole different slant on how you look at Possums. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/14 09:46 AM

i wanna try this lol

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/14 07:35 PM

i wanna try this lol

You would look funny on all fours with a leash. smile

-carl
Posted by: Joshua R.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/14 07:53 PM

Better hope your dog tires out quick or you will be chasing it for awhile.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/14 08:34 PM

That poor dog!!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/14 08:40 PM

That poor dog!!!!

I'm with you on that, Lora.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/14 09:41 PM

i wanna try this lol

-carl

Who knows what im into on the weekends LMAO

j/k

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/14 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.
Better hope your dog tires out quick or you will be chasing it for awhile.

Thats a good point. better wait to try it in a large fenced in area. Id tire long before my pup does.

Would be funny though. Strap a walkie talkie to it and then make growling sounds and just watch the dog go crazy HAHA

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/14 10:06 PM

i wanna try this lol

-carl

Who knows what im into on the weekends LMAO

j/k

To each his own......... REALLY???

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/18/14 10:07 PM

On warmer days, Jaz gets let outside. She has a fairly good sized dog house outside that she lays in when she's out. Today I went out to check on what she was barking at inside her doghouse. Come to find out, she had pinned a woodchuck between the walls. This thing seemed pretty upset to be in there and Jaz wasn't too happy about her uninvited house guest. I can't say that I'm too thrilled about having to rip the house apart just to evict a woodchuck.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/22/14 05:36 PM

My wife was getting ready to cook and dropped a raw chicken wing on the floor and the pup grabbed it and took off running LMAO

You'd think he won the lottery, i took it from him for a second so i could lure him back into the kitchen so he doesnt make a mess on the carpet and when i gave it back to him he ran around my legs all excited before he started eating it again.

My wife screams.. WHAT ARE YOU DOING, DONT GIVE IT BACK TO HIM CHICKEN BONES ARE BAD... I just laughed, cooked ones are bad, raw is the natural way and especially the wings are great for a dog. the bones are soft and act as a toothbrush. I told the wife, "so who takes away the bones in the wild" LMAO.

I hope he like raw fish too, id love to take him fishing with me and toss him the occasionally small one, or when im cleaning the fish give him the organs.

I know people who only feed their dogs raw meat mixed with a small amount of veggies or fruit, i would do that too, but i want the convenience of being able to feed kibble as well. But i am thinking of going to a kibble/raw diet and doing raw meat a couple times a week.

Hell chicken is cheaper than the dog food i get now too. Im using Blue Wilderness, its 60 a bag and wont last 2 months the way he eats now.

I want to try some raw fish and rabbit now that i seen him with that chicken wing LOL I know rabbit is OK, ill have to do some reading to figure out which fish is OK.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/22/14 06:56 PM

On warmer days, Jaz gets let outside. She has a fairly good sized dog house outside that she lays in when she's out. Today I went out to check on what she was barking at inside her doghouse. Come to find out, she had pinned a woodchuck between the walls. This thing seemed pretty upset to be in there and Jaz wasn't too happy about her uninvited house guest. I can't say that I'm too thrilled about having to rip the house apart just to evict a woodchuck.

Lol. Just leave him in there, the pooch should sort him out, and have some entertainment time as well. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/22/14 07:07 PM

ww,
$60.00 is a lot, how much do you get? Is it dry food?

I usually buy bags of dry food for my pooch, but often pick up a fresh road kill as well. Generally a Wallaby, if there's traffic around I just throw in the back of the truck and bone it out up a bush track. Only takes five minutes and the pooch thinks its Christmas. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/22/14 07:40 PM

My wife was getting ready to cook and dropped a raw chicken wing on the floor and the pup grabbed it and took off running LMAO

You'd think he won the lottery, i took it from him for a second so i could lure him back into the kitchen so he doesnt make a mess on the carpet and when i gave it back to him he ran around my legs all excited before he started eating it again.

My wife screams.. WHAT ARE YOU DOING, DONT GIVE IT BACK TO HIM CHICKEN BONES ARE BAD... I just laughed, cooked ones are bad, raw is the natural way and especially the wings are great for a dog. the bones are soft and act as a toothbrush. I told the wife, "so who takes away the bones in the wild" LMAO.

I hope he like raw fish too, id love to take him fishing with me and toss him the occasionally small one, or when im cleaning the fish give him the organs.

I know people who only feed their dogs raw meat mixed with a small amount of veggies or fruit, i would do that too, but i want the convenience of being able to feed kibble as well. But i am thinking of going to a kibble/raw diet and doing raw meat a couple times a week.

Hell chicken is cheaper than the dog food i get now too. Im using Blue Wilderness, its 60 a bag and wont last 2 months the way he eats now.

I want to try some raw fish and rabbit now that i seen him with that chicken wing LOL I know rabbit is OK, ill have to do some reading to figure out which fish is OK.

I like a dog that fetches me dinner smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/22/14 07:58 PM

ww,

I usually buy bags of dry food for my pooch, but often pick up a fresh road kill as well. Generally a Wallaby, if there's traffic around I just throw in the back of the truck and bone it out up a bush track. Only takes five minutes and the pooch thinks its Christmas. grin

Its dry food and its a 24 pound bag. This is one of the more expensive dog foods here.

We let the dog pick its own food in the pet store. I figure if he is going to be eating the same thing most the time he should like it. He smelled all the bags of dog food in there and kept going back to the Blue Wilderness. SO thats what we got, at first we tried a small bag and he loved it, so then i bought the big bag.

And yea im pretty sure this pup will be getting raw meats and fish a lot more from now on, ill still give the store bought dry dog food, but id like to do about half and half. I read its bad to give dry dog food and raw meats on the same day because it can cause upset stomach because the kibble doesnt digest at the same rate. So Ill try doing raw on a few days a week and see how that goes.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/22/14 07:59 PM

-carl

Id like that too smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/22/14 09:30 PM

-carl

Id like that too smile

WW-
I had such a dog. He'd run squirrels and rabbits, get lucky once in a while, and come to me to brag and show off his catch. I obliged by sharing it with him. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/22/14 10:22 PM

That would be awesome. I have read a bunch about these Shiba Inu dogs and there are several people who say their Shiba catch rabbits and eat them. One lady says hers catches pheasants every once in a while too.

I live in the city so he wont be catching any rabbits here LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/23/14 02:59 PM

I knew a fella, {no not me grin) that had a dog that would run across the sale yards and grab a fat lamb by the throat, drag it over to the fence and deliver it to his feet. laugh Not a Sound made!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/23/14 03:16 PM

Now THERE is a hunting dog.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/23/14 05:43 PM

Now that dog would get a king size bed and his own room!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/23/14 05:54 PM

Now that dog would get a king size bed and his own room!!

Agreed.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/24/14 07:08 PM

ww,

Its dry food and its a 24 pound bag. This is one of the more expensive dog foods here.

We let the dog pick its own food in the pet store. I figure if he is going to be eating the same thing most the time he should like it. He smelled all the bags of dog food in there and kept going back to the Blue Wilderness. SO thats what we got, at first we tried a small bag and he loved it, so then i bought the big bag.

And yea im pretty sure this pup will be getting raw meats and fish a lot more from now on, ill still give the store bought dry dog food, but id like to do about half and half. I read its bad to give dry dog food and raw meats on the same day because it can cause upset stomach because the kibble doesnt digest at the same rate. So Ill try doing raw on a few days a week and see how that goes.

Jaz is pretty picky about her food as well. She simply won't eat a lot of foods. When my parents puppy-sit her, they don't like to buy the more expensive foods but they learned that she would rather starve than eat what they were buying. She loves Blue Wilderness, I let her pick her's out as well. I figured that I know what I like to eat, she deserves to have the right to choose as well. laugh Then again, she gets spoiled...A LOT

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/24/14 08:07 PM

Thats how Neko is..... Speaking of that, i just noticed i didnt mention it in this thread but we changed his name from Kiba to Neko a few days after naming him.... Because Kiba, ending in "A" made a lot of people think he was a female dog. Even the vet asked if it was a female name or unisex name.... There are a lot of puerto ricans here... my wife is puerto rican HAHA but spanish is spoken around here just as much as english and the majority of people was saying they thought it sounded feminine. So we didnt want people to keep thinking he was a girl so we changed it to Neko... Now it ends with an "O" and no one gets confused LOL..

But, we even tried wellness core, which is another higher priced dog food, and Taste of the Wild, which had excellent reviews... He wont eat either of them unless we mix blue wilderness in it..

Since i paid for a bag of Wellness Core, and Taste of the Wild, i dont want the food going to waste, so i been mixing it with the wilderness and he will eat it.. but not as fast as he eats just the wilderness.

Occasionally ill take a half tablespoon or so of peanut butter... Put it in a little water... Put that in the microwave for about 30 seconds to make a "gravy" and coat his food with that. Then he will eat ANYTHING.... This dog goes psycho over peanut butter.

But he handled raw chicken, bone and all, great. We expected a little diarrhea since it was his first time on raw meat... because i read its normal for a dog to have some diarrhea when switching to a RAW diet. But his stool was perfect. So ill be going to a butcher shop this weekend and getting him some meats.

I think its awesome watching a dog eat meat like its in the wild. He seems to like it way more too. full of win.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/26/14 09:47 AM

A quick updated picture. He is growing up fast

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/26/14 05:18 PM

Yep', one cute dog! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/26/14 07:08 PM

Does he like the Salmon or the Chicken blend?

But he's still so fluffy!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/28/14 04:35 PM

All of this picking their own brands and flavors is teaching my dog bad habits. grin

Twice I had to close my laptop lid when she walked past. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/28/14 05:48 PM

You've got a good looking girl there Ian.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/28/14 07:02 PM

You'd think he won the lottery,
..... we have a bottom yard with two ponds and a short creek that the dogs are locked out of most of the time. When Rogue was a puppy I let him down there while I was hanging washing or something...I turned and saw him come out from under a small log with something "black" in his mouth, he started to trott very happily back around the house. Not knowing what he had (he was only maybe seven weeks old) I went after him and snatched it out of his mouth (much to his disgust).. I then discovered I was holding what had once been a chicken wing that was now falling apart and dripping maggots..... our other dog at the time, "Dixie" had hidden the wing there under the log several days before and had been locked away from it since..... he was MOST annoyed I took away his SCORE !!!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/28/14 09:09 PM

Does he like the Salmon or the Chicken blend?

But he's still so fluffy!

LOL, yes he is just a handful of fluff!! He has dropped a lot of puppy fur already though. He is double coated like huskies.

And right now we are using the puppy formula, the main ingredient is chicken though. I will probably let him check out a different flavor next time... if he "likes" the smell of the bag anyway LOL.

And Ian thats a great looking dog bud!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/28/14 09:17 PM

All of this picking their own brands and flavors is teaching my dog bad habits. grin

Twice I had to close my laptop lid when she walked past. laugh

You've got to keep that in check before she catches wind that other dogs are being allowed to be picky about what they eat. She's a beautiful dog!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/29/14 02:18 AM

My hounds get Dog Chow and a can of wet food, but they really love the Iams cat food! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/29/14 02:41 AM

LMAO, yea i never met a dog who wouldnt eat cat food HAHA

My Neko hasnt been around any cat food, he is picky with dog food, but anything else i give him he eats fine.

Raw meat, plain rice, bananas, green beans, carrots, egg, peanut butter, plain greek yogurt... Everything i have tried he eats LMAO

I have done a lot of reading online about which foods are good for him, which are OK, and which should be avoided, and i have found a book im going to be ordering as well.... But i start slow in little amounts and go from there... I keep expecting loose stool but Neko is a CHAMPION.

Some people dont agree with feeding fruits or veggies to a dog, they say they are carnivores, but i never had a dog i didnt occasionally see eating grass or other plants and even a lot of Kibble has fruits/veggies in it. I know Blue Wilderness does. so im on the fence with that... Now i dont feed a lot of fruits and veggies either, but a little bit here and there IMO is just fine as long as you avoid the ones toxic to dogs.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/29/14 11:01 PM

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/29/14 11:45 PM

That is a vicious looking killer you are training up, WW ! smile lol......

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 12:11 AM

LMAO, i think its hilarious the faces he makes.

Im trying to teach him only to bite the hands and arms when playing.

He bit my nose once while playing.... SO i bit his ear... He hasnt went towards my face again LMAO

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 04:55 PM

I hope you didn't give him rabies! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 06:38 PM

Good point... Luckily he has had his rabies shot smile
Posted by: RobStanley

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 07:56 PM

Here's a pic of Murray on the beach with our niece. He's a distinguished old gent. (right click - view image - for a bigger version)

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 07:57 PM

LMAO, i think its hilarious the faces he makes.

Im trying to teach him only to bite the hands and arms when playing.

He bit my nose once while playing.... SO i bit his ear... He hasnt went towards my face again LMAO

...but now you are engaged. Best tell the wife. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 08:30 PM

-carl

LOL.
I once had an old mate, an ex boxer. Art Rolls, dead now.

He had a lady with a small dog on a lead and her dog bit him on a street in Sydney. He got down on his knees and then bit the dog. grin

It all ended up with him spending a night in jail. laugh

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=361261&cat=boxer

What was even funnier was the judge fined him heavily for being a professional fighter and not able to restrain his temper, he pleaded that it was a joke, but it didn't help him any.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 08:32 PM

Rob, Murray is HUGE!! What does he weigh? 2 tons? grin

Carl, LMAO the wife might get jealous HAHA

But really when i was a boy, we had just got a bull mastiff that was about 6-7 months old and touching 100 pounds, when we would play football out in the yard the dog could, and often did, tackle the person with the ball down to the ground.

But he liked to bite when playing and didnt really care where he bit you, so one day my father tells me to bite his ear and he will stop, so i bit his ear... and the dog stopped.. But then my dad started cracking up laughing and shouts out that he didnt think id really do it LMAO SO at that point i wasnt sure if pop was just messing with me or what.

Fast forward several years later and im watching a man train German shepherds.. And one of them keeps biting at the man and growling... So he grabs the dogs ear and pinches it hard between his fingers... the dog got calm immediately. Then the trainer told us it shows them your the Alpha without really hurting them.

But with Neko he is just playful, so i didnt really bite his ear hard, just enough for him to feel it, he didnt yelp or anything, he just looked up and then licked my hand a few times and continued playing without biting towards my face anymore. He still goes for the hands and arms though LOL But i let him know thats fine, i like playing with him like that.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: RobStanley
Here's a pic of Murray on the beach with our niece. He's a distinguished old gent. (right click - view image - for a bigger version)

Rob, I believe in starting them off right, you should be telling that little girl that she's getting on, on the wrong side. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 08:48 PM

Rob, Murry is looking good there as always.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 08:53 PM

Rob, I believe in starting them off right, you should be telling that little girl that she's getting on, on the wrong side. grin

hahaha!!! Good one Ian. Nothing like riding a horse bareback on the beach.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 08:56 PM

Rob, Murray is HUGE!! What does he weigh? 2 tons? grin

haha! He's 90kg. According to google's converter, that's 198lbs. You know it when he stands on your foot. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 08:59 PM

-carl

LOL.
I once had an old mate, an ex boxer. Art Rolls, dead now.

He had a lady with a small dog on a lead and her dog bit him on a street in Sydney. He got down on his knees and then bit the dog. grin

It all ended up with him spending a night in jail. laugh

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=361261&cat=boxer

What was even funnier was the judge fined him heavily for being a professional fighter and not able to restrain his temper, he pleaded that it was a joke, but it didn't help him any.

Good thing he didn't bite the judge ..... smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 09:04 PM

Rob-

Is Murray an Irish wolfhound, Male? (Cant get picture to show).

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 09:10 PM

Carl, he's a great dane. Here's a direct link to the image - https://24.media.tumblr.com/5e5e1c9150281db3f32ae20ea8c20ca8/tumblr_n39x4loneP1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 09:13 PM

Thanks, Rob. He's a big boy. Our male wolfhound was almost that big (short by 15 pounds).

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 09:40 PM

Thats awesome Rob. Definitely a big boy!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 09:42 PM

Stan was 84 kilos. grin

This bottom pic shows how huge he was, Rob's dog is another six kilos heavier again. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 09:53 PM

I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of either of them.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/30/14 10:36 PM

That's for sure. It wouldn't end well to get on their bad sides.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/31/14 01:37 AM

Ian, Stan was a darling boy. You must miss him terribly.

I love the mastiff breeds - Danes, English & Bull Mastiffs, Neos etc. Some of the oldest domestic dog breeds known.

It's funny, only in the English speaking world do we call Great Danes, Great Danes. The rest of the world knows them as the German Mastiff, or Deutsche Dogge.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/31/14 02:33 AM

You ever seen the Tibetan Mastiff? Most expensive dogs in the world. One sold for 1.5 Million dollars. They almost look like a lion LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/31/14 04:46 PM

You ever seen the Tibetan Mastiff? Most expensive dogs in the world. One sold for 1.5 Million dollars. They almost look like a lion LOL

I thought it was a Chow! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/31/14 05:28 PM

I looked into getting one of them until I saw the price tag. LOL they are supposed to be one of the greatest protectors of a family. Very loyal.
Tom I have a chow/lab mix that looks similar to that. Just not quite as big and ferocious, he is also black. He is very loyal to me and protective.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/31/14 06:14 PM

Good masters are hard to find. Good dogs are everywhere. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/31/14 09:01 PM

True words, Carl! I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person simply by the way they treat their pets.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/31/14 10:03 PM

What she said!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/31/14 11:29 PM

True words, Carl! I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person simply by the way they treat their pets.

And by the way their pet behaves.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/02/14 03:49 PM

Bigger is better. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/02/14 05:11 PM

The bone is from a buffalo, i ordered it online and didnt expect it to be so big honestly because it said great for small to medium sized dogs, but Neko seems to be super excited about its size HAHA

There is a new benebone wishbone by his foot you can barely see in the above picture, it just came today as well, and i gave it to him first. He started to licking it and biting on the wishbone immedietily. I was happy he liked it so much..

Sorry for the crappy shot on these ones,

He chewed that wishbone until he fell asleep, and once he fell asleep i put the buffalo bone next to him for a size comparison HAHA

But i guess the smell got to him because he woke FAST!!

Now that little wishbone is old news LMAO

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/02/14 06:05 PM

That is cool. Just wait till he starts carrying that thing around.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/02/14 06:36 PM

The bone is from a buffalo.

Yikes!!!
It looks like a thigh bone off a Mammoth. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/02/14 08:49 PM

LMAO, he has been working on it non stop since i unwrapped it!!

And he keeps trying to pick it up and carry it off but its too heavy for him. Its pretty funny. He can just barely drag it. LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/03/14 12:04 AM

He's in puppy heaven right now! That thing is almost as big as him, I bet it was like Christmas morning for him when he woke up.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/03/14 01:56 AM

That is so cool ! I remember I gave a Chihuahua a bone he couldn't carry. He went nuts - loved it ! Good on you WW !! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/03/14 03:04 AM

Its about 3am here right now and Neko is sitting beside me right now still gnawing on that bone LMAO, he loves it. smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/03/14 07:46 PM

I can't say that I blame him very much, it's like an all you can eat buffet for him!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/03/14 09:11 PM

I can't say that I blame him very much, it's like an all you can eat buffet for him!

LOL,
Even if he does have sore jaws in the morning. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/04/14 12:50 AM

I told my wife this morning my jaws were sore just from watching him all night LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/04/14 07:56 AM

Happy Fridays everyone

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/04/14 07:57 AM

oops wrong thread LMAO

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/04/14 05:29 PM

It's all good! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/06/14 06:15 PM

Here's a pic I found of Bondi's dad working in the cattle yards.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/06/14 11:11 PM

Nice! Gotta love those working dogs!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/07/14 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks

He's just going in for the bite and duck routine. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/07/14 10:37 PM

He's just going in for the bite and duck routine. grin

Had a friend with a good cow-dog that perfected that routine just one ear late ...silly looking dog, but I doubt he ever got kicked again. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/07/14 10:51 PM

I used to have a blue heeler that would duck in, bite then look up at me on the horse and grin.
We were pushing a mob of cattle out a gully one day when he did it again, next thing wham, straight up side of his head.

The rest of the day he walked in the shade of the horse and sulked, he never grinned at me again from behind a beast either. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 04:47 PM

How humiliating! Same thing happens to me every time I get too confident or cocky....

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 09:23 PM

Does Rose kick you in the head Carl?

I know my wife does that from time to time just to keep me in line!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 09:56 PM

Sure-

To keep me in line, or maybe just to get my attention. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 09:59 PM

i know exactly what you mean!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 10:03 PM

We of higher intellect need someone grounded to guide the way from problem to problem in a very pragmatic way. Otherwise we'd be thinking up some new alternative fuel or somesuch...

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 10:18 PM

I just realized there is potential to misunderstand my last comment ...my intellect is no higher than Rose's- but she is the pragmatic sort. My role is to "engineer" solutions to the issues she raises. Absent such direction, momentum keeps me engineering stuff. Therein lies the problem. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 10:18 PM

Without the grounding, who knows where we might wind up? I'm sure I would have blown myself up by now otherwise!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 10:20 PM

There it is, plain and simple. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 10:23 PM

Yep, they keep these animals straight! That's the truth.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/08/14 10:38 PM

And we are the better for it ...according to Rose. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/14/14 07:23 PM

Neko ate a witch laugh

This is the first time i had to fence him in while he eats, its also the first time i gave him chicken feet though. He kept wanting to hide the feet on me LMAO He ate the chicken necks and beef chunks standing at the bowl as usual, but he wanted to take the feet and hide them somewhere. At one point he had 2 feet hanging out his mouth LMAO, looked like he swallowed a chicken whole and the feet were hanging out... He finally ate them in the area i gated off.... Cant have raw food hidden around the house LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/14/14 07:56 PM

Careful WW- YOU are food. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/18/14 07:37 PM

Neko ate a witch laugh

LMAO grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/19/14 12:35 PM

We had six outdoor cats by my old house which I visited and took goodies to; I'm down to one thanks to coyotes. mad I hope to improve his survival odds once I get my rifle night-vision scope. smirk

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/19/14 05:03 PM

We had 'Yotes singing last night and my neighbor just might have lost some Guinea Hens. My (now 34 pound) Mainecoon just sat at the open door and growled. One on one, the yote would have no chance at-all, but there were at least 4. Sorry to hear orf your loss, Herr Klink.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/20/14 09:02 AM

I think I'll name that rifle "Retribution"! smirk

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/22/14 05:02 AM

This is not new, but it hasn't been shown for some years.

My best mate that died from a cancer in the jaw at 5 years of age. I still can't watch it through without getting tears in my eyes.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/22/14 05:50 PM

Oh man, Ian. Wow. I hope someday you can watch that and have it be all smiles, my friend. Or at least shed only happy tears.

David

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/22/14 07:42 PM

A great video Ian. I understand how you must feel watching it.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/23/14 12:13 AM

I will be starting a puppy obedience course with Neko soon. Not because he is being bad or doing anything wrong really i just want him at the top of his game. He is great on a leash, but i want to be able to let him off the leash as well which right now is impossible, i tried it and ended up chasing him for 10 minutes through some brush... 10 minutes might not sound long but when your running after a puppy in the woods 10 minutes is FOREVER HAHA.

Also he doesnt come unless you have a treat, but if you have a treat he will come, sit, high five, and stand up on back legs and wrap his front legs around me and "hug" me.. He is VERY smart but listens when it benefits him only. I dont want to HAVE to have a treat to get him to come or sit down.

Im debating on private lessons here or going to their location.

Private lessons are more expensive, like 85-100 per lesson or hour. group courses at their location ranges from 110-160 for a 6 week course with 1 lesson per week.

But if they can teach the dog quicker and easier here since its 1 on 1 it might be more beneficial. But on the other hand the interaction with the other dogs and people would be beneficial as well. But im worried he will listen there.. but when we get home go back to the same routines.

The lady i have been speaking to is a CPDT-KA certified trainer and has a lot of great testimonials on her site for both private lessons and group training.

So basically i just need to figure out if i want to go the private route or go with group lessons.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/23/14 01:28 AM

Group is good, I did that with Rogue, it also helps socialise him with other dogs and people. Then for the cost of additional lessons look for a local "Obedience Club", yearly membership is less than a single lesson in many case and you get to work with LOTS of different (and "different" wink ) people.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/23/14 01:34 AM

I still can't watch it through without getting tears in my eyes.
... I hear you mate, I have videos of Dixie (lost her 3yrs ago Monday) that I still can't bring myself to watch... frown

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/23/14 04:48 AM

I still can't watch it through without getting tears in my eyes.

I tear up when I see Stan. I wish we had met earlier, Ian, so he could have come to your first Knife meeting - when we met for the first time. You were worried I was some City Slicker who wore PINK shirts or something like that.........fond memories.

Like HK said - I hope as time goes by it gets easier to watch.....

You chose a great track for the video, mate !

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/23/14 10:50 AM

Great video Ian.
Posted by: Tristine

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/23/14 12:10 PM

Awesome video Ian.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/23/14 06:56 PM

That is a perfect tribute Ian.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/24/14 09:37 PM

Ian, it's the worst losing a four legged friend. There are times that I feel that losing a dog is worse than losing a human friend. There's something about the love of a dog that is never equaled by anyone or anything else. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but the video makes it look like you have many fond memories with him. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/25/14 03:51 PM

That is a perfect tribute Ian.

I agree, and I know how it is to lose a friend.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/25/14 08:43 PM

Thanks everyone.

Stan a was once in a lifetime friend, and was taken way too early, and yes, Lora. Dogs are a friend that can be harder to loose than humans. especially in my case.

I've had two such dogs and a couple of horses that I considered my best friend as well.
Ian.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/29/14 06:22 AM

Ian that's a lovely tribute to your beautiful boy.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/29/14 06:35 AM

I will be starting a puppy obedience course with Neko soon. Not because he is being bad or doing anything wrong really i just want him at the top of his game. He is great on a leash, but i want to be able to let him off the leash as well which right now is impossible, i tried it and ended up chasing him for 10 minutes through some brush... 10 minutes might not sound long but when your running after a puppy in the woods 10 minutes is FOREVER HAHA.

Also he doesnt come unless you have a treat, but if you have a treat he will come, sit, high five, and stand up on back legs and wrap his front legs around me and "hug" me.. He is VERY smart but listens when it benefits him only. I dont want to HAVE to have a treat to get him to come or sit down.

Im debating on private lessons here or going to their location.

Private lessons are more expensive, like 85-100 per lesson or hour. group courses at their location ranges from 110-160 for a 6 week course with 1 lesson per week.

But if they can teach the dog quicker and easier here since its 1 on 1 it might be more beneficial. But on the other hand the interaction with the other dogs and people would be beneficial as well. But im worried he will listen there.. but when we get home go back to the same routines.

The lady i have been speaking to is a CPDT-KA certified trainer and has a lot of great testimonials on her site for both private lessons and group training.

So basically i just need to figure out if i want to go the private route or go with group lessons.

Sounds to me like you have to alter your routines a bit. I am no expert, but your experiences you've described here lead me to believe that you need to work harder on being the pack leader. In most cases, dog training is about training the owner. Dogs do not speak human. We are fortunate to be intelligent enough to be able to speak 'dog'. Once this mindset is understood and adhered to, you must work on being a strong leader. Dogs are social pack animals that require a clear cut hierarchy. If this is not evident in the relationship with your dog, you will experience the issues your are experiencing. He is an intelligent boy that needs a good strong friend to show him the way. And he will love you for it!!!

My advice is learn to speak 'dog' and be the leader and I guarantee your problems will go away. I've had 3 great danes in my adult life and trust me, you have to be the pack leader with a 200 pound dog that is stronger than you! hahaha!

Good luck mate smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/29/14 11:08 AM

Thanks Rob,

And you are definitely right, I need the training more than him. I need them to teach me to teach him to follow my commands without needing a treat.

He is a great dog, i dont ever feel the need to get aggressive or loud with him. If he gets a hold of something he shouldnt, all i normally have to do is say "Neko drop it" and he does.

But your right i dont speak dog. I dont know how to unlock all his real potential. Because he is very smart.

Me and him are actually going to a little class tonight. We are going to meet the trainers and spend an hour or so and they will tell me where he is at, and what would be the best course to follow.

Now i found out they say no matter how trained these dogs are you should never let them off a leash unless in a fenced area because they have a very high hunting prey drive. There was a guy that had a 10 year old Shiba that had won multiple obedience and agility courses since he was 1 years old, was even trained in search and rescue because these dogs are considered scent hounds. And the owner had always let him off the leash by the beach, but one day all it took was a seagull flying low and the dog chased it right in front of a car despite the owner using his emergency recall command multiple times. There are other similar stories of these dogs, well trained, being taken on walks in the woods without a leash and disappearing after seeing an animal. Most the time the owners would get them back... sometimes not.

SO i dont think ill ever take the chance of letting him off leash , just not worth the risk. Once i move he will have plenty of fenced in land to run on off leash though.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/29/14 03:22 PM

I would add, you might want to learn to "think dog" by watching him very closely. You will notice behaviors that could be harmful to him in certain environments.

I had a dog that liked to run down coyotes and kill them. No command could stop the behavior, so it was recommended that I get a choke collar and 100' of shroud line. Attach one end to the collar and one end to a stake in the ground, varying the lengths of "free play" in the line. When the dog saw a coyote and gave chase, I watched the line play out and just before all of the line was played-out, say "Mule stop" (dogs name was mule). Of course he did not, then hit the end of the line and get yanked into the air swapping ends. After 10 or so lessons, the words "mule stop" had him putting on the brakes instantly.

This took about 20 sessions, but Mule learned that no matter what, failing to heed "Mule stop" meant immediate and painful consequences. Incidentally, shroud line has stretch in it- enough so that the dog was mot injured in these lessons.

Why these lessons? He did not seem to be able to discern the difference between coyotes and wolves or cars, or anything else that "ran" from him. Additionally, having him on a leash was not possible as we lived in the woods.

By watching him, I learned that he could get his blood up in a chase and have but one focus- catching his prey. The lessons added just one component to the chase: cock one ear backwards to see if it was OK. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/29/14 08:03 PM

All the dogs that I've had have been "tracking" dogs. Jaz has been the worst of them, she has to track and/or hunt what she smells. When she's outside, she is always on a lead line. She follows commands very well, right up until she sees or smells a rodent or cat. Then she only wants to find it, kill it and present her trophy. It's gotten a lot better than it used to be, but it still happens quite a bit while we're out running. I am very pleased with how she's grown since I got her, but we live on a fairly busy road and I love her far too much to risk her finding her way in front of a vehicle.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/29/14 08:33 PM

Lora, I've had a great time with tracking dogs while raising my daughter. We used to play "hide and seek", where my daughter would sneak away from home or camp and hide somewhere (prearranged, of course). Then I would tell the dog to find the kid.

This was great fun for dog and kid, but I had higher purposes in mind ...for if and when the kid got too far away from us we knew the dog could and would find her.

We started them both as pups smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/30/14 07:13 PM

Jaz was a rather old pup when I first got her. She's a great tracker, but its taken a while to get rid of the bad habits she acquired from her previous owners. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I say it just takes more determination and patients.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/30/14 07:48 PM

Bondi, our latest mutt wasn't brought home here until she was 16 months old, up until then she had only worked sheep and cattle, we have neither here. laugh
She was well obedience trained though. It didn't take long for her to fit in, at first she was running through the plants in the nursery and a bit hypo.
But now she is like a veteran, my wife goes out looking for possums most nights with a torch and it didn't take long for the dog to work out what to look for, now she runs up to the trees with possums in it and waits looking straight at them.

I had dogs like this when I was a kid, they would find hollow logs with rabbits in them. One would actually hold his nose against the log where the rabbit was so all I had to do was chip away at the log with an axe and pull the rabbit out.
Once they pick up what you want, they soon make a game out of it. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/01/14 06:02 PM

Here are some well trained dogs. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/01/14 06:06 PM

That is great! Thanks for the laugh!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/01/14 07:05 PM

Cool pic Ian!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 01:01 AM

That IS good!!! laugh laugh laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 02:07 AM

Thats funny Ian!!!

Neko is just starting to smell around, but now he is getting more and more to the point where once he catches scent of something he has to go after it.

Tonight he caught a mouse. This was the first time he actually caught anything. Hell he is just starting to lift his leg to pee LOL but i took the mouse from him... In the city where i am it could very well have been exposed to poisons.

But after he gets some obedience classes down id love to get him into some type of tracking training. That would be so awesome. Where im buying land is literally 1 block from hundreds of acres of Goethe state forest land... Me and him will be having LOTS of fun there.

A buddy did some renderings of one of his pictures that i think is just awesome so i thought id share....

original

Complements of "The Warrior"

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 04:58 AM

That's very cleaver. grin

I must say, he's starting to look like an adult dog these days, he's loosing that puppy look.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 05:52 AM

The first rendering is my avatar on a dog forum smile

And yea he is growing up and i think looking awesome. He is 5 months old now and is about finished blowing his coat and loosing that puppy fur. Thankfully. He actually started blowing his first coat a little early, but thats because he went from spending most the day in the snow, to being inside my house where my wife keeps it 70 degrees.

Me and him are becoming real good friends.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 07:34 AM

This dog seems well trained......

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 08:55 AM

That is one COOL dog!!! laugh laugh laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 03:29 PM

Wow! Awesome pooch!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 06:09 PM

Now that's one smart pooch!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/02/14 09:48 PM

You'll have to tell your friend "The Warrior" that he did some really cool work.

Magoo, that is awesome! That is definitely one very cool dog, skateboarding, water sports and downhill slalom.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/03/14 10:09 PM

Magoo- Great video!!! Thanks for the entertainment.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/04/14 02:18 AM

Pleasure Carl ! I love the bit when he runs through the witches hats on his front paws ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/04/14 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Magoo
Pleasure Carl ! I love the bit when he runs through the witches hats on his front paws ! wink

I loved the whole thing, but that was special.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/05/14 07:24 PM

Now if only he could fetch me a nice tall crown and coke he would be perfect.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/08/14 01:58 AM

He's not 21 and legal! grin
Posted by: VANCE

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:11 PM

i dont post much here but been around for awhile

& i miss stan

maximus helping ,e tend the grill tonight

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:28 PM

Hello there, Vance. I see you lurking a lot... smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:31 PM

ive been around since the old green forum

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:31 PM

like your sig pic

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:36 PM

Thanks-

He's a tad easier on the eyes than I am and I wanted to depict an "ultimate survivor" if there is such a person. smile

-carl

Or were you referring to the "old days" rat banner?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:43 PM

rat banner

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:45 PM

Got it. (duh)

You could add it to your profile.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:49 PM

i dont remember when i joined there

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 10:57 PM

OK. But you were there (I remember) and with that comes a bit of entitlement.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 11:03 PM

OK. But you were there (I remember) and with that comes a bit of entitlement.

-carl

I guess so! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 11:06 PM

I'm flat out remembering my own name. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/10/14 11:08 PM

I can remember my name due to the next two generations behind me! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/11/14 02:19 AM

So i forgot to update about going to the puppy obedience class with Neko on Tuesday. It was a small class, just Neko and 1 other puppy, i really liked that because its more hands on with both dogs. And if there would of been more than 1 other puppy im not sure how it would have turned out.....

We learned real quick he doesnt like other puppies... But the trainer lady is AMAZING. Neko was growling, showing his teeth and trying to bite the face of the old english sheep dog puppy. That puppy was twice the size of Neko but he didnt care at all.

Now i already knew he doesnt care for other dogs much and explained this to the trainer up front before i even went. Now he has never showed his teeth like that before but he has tried to go after other dogs when im walking him on leash. He will yank and pull to go after them and he gets a look on his face thats not very friendly LOL

But it only took her 10-15 minutes and they were playing like best friends, Neko was actually letting the other puppy play bite him and everything, and in the beginning Neko was growling and snapping at his face when he came within a few feet of him.

I thought she was going to ask me to leave and not come back in the beginning because of how aggressive he was, but she actually said she wants to keep working with him. Which is great because she is AWESOME.

The first class was mostly just talking to the humans and her getting a feel for the pups to let us know what type of training she recommends and what we can be doing now at home to get a jump start. And also letting the 2 puppies interact, the other puppy was also new to being around another dog but he was SUPER friendly and just wanted to play with Neko from the beginning.

Next class we move on to the sit come stay type of stuff. The trainer is great so we will probably be doing several different courses in the future.

I love Neko.. I havent bonded this closely to a dog since i was a kid. My wife says she is jealous of the dog sometimes LMAO He is awesome, he stays close to me but doesnt like to sit on laps, he doesnt bark unless he has a reason, he loves to play but when im busy he's fine with playing by himself and doesnt try and bug you... But as he is getting close to 6 months old he is getting a little bit rowdy and im the only one he listens to here what so ever and sometimes he wont even listen to me, he just give me a crazy look and lays down when i call him LMAO.. So training is going to be very important i think.

More and more this video is making sense LMAO

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/11/14 03:13 AM

I have seen you around, Vance. Good to see you.....
Nice pooch ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/11/14 07:16 AM

thanks

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/11/14 07:25 AM

It's great see you around again,Vance. I do remember you.
I love the pic of your dog. What age is he?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/12/14 06:44 AM

he is 4

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/13/14 02:31 AM

Hard to believe that Max is that old! shocked

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/15/14 06:50 AM

tell me about it tom

i remember when he was a "tiny terror"

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/15/14 08:09 AM

LOL! laugh Great pic Phil! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/15/14 03:34 PM

Good looking Dog Vance good to see you back in the waters.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/15/14 07:05 PM

"Tiny Terror" pretty much sums that picture up in a nutshell. He looks like he'd be a bit of a handful. Great looking dog!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/15/14 10:35 PM

thanks tom,josh & lora

im sorry but i love my dawg

yet all he cares about is my wife

him looking "manly"

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/16/14 02:48 AM

I love those dog pictures. cool

I'm like you, I love my dogs as well, no wonder they are called, "Mans best friend" grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/16/14 03:29 PM

Those are great pictures.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/16/14 05:50 PM

Vance he has LOTS in common with my boy Rogue...!!!!!!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/16/14 09:43 PM

wifes outta town...so me & max are playing..
im on the grill he is tearing up the backyard

nice ribeye

heavy(for me ) salt & light crushed black pepper pay...not enough forethought

campari tomatos w/ kosher salt & crushed black pepper w/ olive oil

all together w/ tuscan white bean salad w/ mushroom & sage infused olive oil

sorry didnt exactly get the shutter speed right for "full on boxer"

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/16/14 09:44 PM

thanks guys

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/16/14 09:48 PM

rogue looks awesome behind that rifle

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/16/14 11:37 PM

Phil, you certainly know how to pick dogs and eat well! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/17/14 05:59 AM

thanks tom

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/17/14 09:49 AM

That sounds like a great day with a great friend.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/18/14 09:08 PM

Vance-
That your dog likes your wife (and vice versa) is a good thing, right?

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/18/14 09:52 PM

A bit like my new dog, loves me until my wife turns up, then doesn't won't to know me then. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/18/14 10:59 PM

Funny how that is, they somehow sense that in the battle of the sexes, men are at a great disadvantage ...though they may prevail in the short term. smile

My cat, however, is a different story. He and I play rough. At 33 lbs, that is a lot of cat to handle so my wife defers to me. Accordingly, the cat disregards her completely.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/18/14 11:17 PM

Funny how that is, they somehow sense that in the battle of the sexes, men are at a great disadvantage ...though they may prevail in the short term. smile

My cat, however, is a different story. He and I play rough. At 33 lbs, that is a lot of cat to handle so my wife defers to me. Accordingly, the cat disregards her completely.

-carl

Yeah, Bonnie the Kelpie was the same. Stan was totally the opposite,I couldn't move without Stan checking up on me, and if the truck was involved, I only had to look at the keys and he was up and raring to go. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/19/14 12:36 PM

-carl

Yeah, Bonnie the Kelpie was the same. Stan was totally the opposite,I couldn't move without Stan checking up on me, and if the truck was involved, I only had to look at the keys and he was up and raring to go. grin

Smart dog.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/19/14 09:42 PM

All the dogs that I had growing up and have had since have been definitely been my dogs. They spend more time with me than anyone else in the house. I have nothing against it in the slightest. I'm very much a dog person.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/20/14 06:17 AM

If that's the case Lora, why don't you visit the Dogs at the Scrap Yard?!!? confused We would love to have you visit us as well. wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/20/14 09:04 PM

Dogs of a different persuasion ...I'm thinking Klink is trying to dress up the junkyard a bit. smile

Lora has found a home here, Klink wink

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/20/14 11:20 PM

Lora has found a home here, Klink wink

-carl

Yep, and we aim to keep her here. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/21/14 03:46 AM

Well, I guess I'll just have to hug on Lora at Blade! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/21/14 09:12 AM

Be careful, she might have something sharp laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/21/14 02:34 PM

Yup-

Before you hug Lora, you'd better be clear that it is OK with her. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/21/14 11:03 PM

Awe shucks fellas, who knew I was liked so much. You guys are great! That's one of the reasons I come hang out around here, you're all so sweet!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/22/14 11:14 AM

Be careful, she might have something sharp laugh

Lora IS "something sharp"! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/24/14 07:03 PM

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/24/14 07:48 PM

Haha, I love that shot, how did you get them to pose like that. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/24/14 08:07 PM

That are standing on a table looking down, I am flat on my back... wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/24/14 09:18 PM

I think they think they see something a bit strange. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/24/14 10:08 PM

Awe shucks fellas, who knew I was liked so much. You guys are great! That's one of the reasons I come hang out around here, you're all so sweet!

Well, we do try to make this ole swamp civil enough to make you feel welcome. Thanks for dressing this place up a bit.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/25/14 04:37 PM

Lora, Carl is correct. YOUR avatar is so much nicer than his! laugh I am really glad that you got into the forums; you make them even nicer to visit! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/25/14 06:57 PM

Lora, Carl is correct. YOUR avatar is so much nicer than his! laugh I am really glad that you got into the forums; you make them even nicer to visit! wink

Agreed, Klink, and it is also nicer than yours. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/25/14 07:46 PM

-carl

What do you reckon, I could lend him my spare one. gringrin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/25/14 09:10 PM

-carl

What do you reckon, I could lend him my spare one. gringrin

I recon that would suit Klink just fine. smile smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/25/14 10:07 PM

But I don't speak with that funny accent! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/25/14 10:11 PM

.... see that is truly about perspective..... wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/25/14 11:06 PM

It would be kind of neat to hear how everyone sounds in real life.

The variety of accents would be pretty cool!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/25/14 11:45 PM

I sound perfectly normal.... the rest of you...well I can't vouch for that.... maybe we should ask Lexi as she would have actually heard the vast majority of us at some point....Lora would probably be the one with the next most experience... laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 10:35 AM

Hmmm... Flatulence with an Aussie accent? smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 02:51 PM

Now Carl, don't pick on Andy that way! whistle............. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 05:04 PM

laugh lets not even start in on a farting contest !!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie

We have enough Swamp gas in this place as it is. Plus, with that contest, there are no winners....

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 05:25 PM

Id say the winner was the one with the M40 or similar.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 06:21 PM

We have enough Swamp gas in this place as it is. Plus, with that contest, there are no winners....

Especially with Klink involved... I abstain and object. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 08:20 PM

It's nice that you abstained Carl, KNOWING that you would win hands down! grin It gives everyone else a chance in the contest! laugh laugh laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 09:36 PM

I might be in the lead today.... If not id be a runner up.

Barbecue chicken with rice and beans seems be good fuel LMAO

Glad i could share HAHAHA

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/26/14 10:28 PM

Holy smokes! The swamp air is gonna get pretty think if you guys start in on a farting contest! shocked I'll try to stay upwind!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 01:59 AM

Wise move Lora!!! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 02:35 AM

Now if anything would give you gas, this would. grin

A Queensland Scrub Python having dinner.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 02:37 AM

Ian did you just happen to walk up on that???

Sweet pictures!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 02:48 AM

No I don't know who took them to be honest.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 02:53 AM

I sound perfectly normal.... the rest of you...well I can't vouch for that.... maybe we should ask Lexi as she would have actually heard the vast majority of us at some point....Lora would probably be the one with the next most experience... laugh

What he said. We sound normal. I saw a vid with WW as the star "Drunk Guy with Knives" and loved his accent. I am astounded at how many different accents come from the good ole USA.
I have been practicing - I can do New York, California, Far north (Minnesota etc). I do a great Southern Drawl.
The nuances in pronunciation are intriguing......

Last week there was a Scottish guy on TV. No one could understand a word and kept asking me to translate. He was speaking english - just had an accent. I have spent time with Scots and I understand them.....took a while, though. wink

I told them I dinnae ken nowt aboot the wee bairn in the burn, man.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 02:55 AM

Bloody hell, Ian. Thanks for the pics ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 07:13 AM

Aye Laddie! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 08:41 AM

I agree Magoo, a lot of very different accents come from the states.

I have been to over 25 of the states, and passed through a bunch of the others, but it always amazes me the different accents you can hear in different places.

It doesnt even take going to the other side of the country. from one city to the other and even different parts of some cities talk differently.

A lot of people around here comment on my accent, of course i dont notice mine, but i notice theirs LOL

My wife grew up in Brooklyn and Philadelphia. And sometimes her accent really shines through, especially when she gets angry HAHA

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 05:57 PM

Accent? What accent?

Tsu vos men iz gevoint in der yugend, azoi tut men oif der elter.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 06:07 PM

I don't think I have an accent! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 06:38 PM

No one thinks they have an accent! Regardless of whether you think you do or not, I like listening to people who don't sound like me when they speak. It's fascinating to hear what other cultures call things. Shrimp = prawns, I didn't know that until Rob cleared it up for me. laugh Thumbs up to listening to accents!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 06:51 PM

I always thought prawns were just larger shrimp...

I just looked it up and I was wrong, but they are two different things, even though the term is used interchangeably quite often.

Again not that important but since i just learned something new i thought id share.

On a shrimp the second plate overlaps both the first and third plates, but on a prawn the second plate will only overlap the third plate.

Though both prawns and shrimp are crustaceans belonging to the Decapoda order, they are members of different suborders: Prawns belong to the Dendrobranchiata suborder, and shrimp to the Pleocyemata. In addition to the slight variation in appearance, their reproductive patterns differ.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54773/whats-the-difference-between-prawns-and-shrimp/

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 06:58 PM

No one thinks they have an accent! Regardless of whether you think you do or not, I like listening to people who don't sound like me when they speak. It's fascinating to hear what other cultures call things. Shrimp = prawns, I didn't know that until Rob cleared it up for me. laugh Thumbs up to listening to accents!

LOL' Lora, I bet you don't wear your thongs on your feet like we do. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 07:00 PM

WW, Lora

Australia and some other Commonwealth nations follow this British usage to an even greater extent, using the word “prawn” almost exclusively. When Australian comedian Paul Hogan used the phrase, “I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you” in an American television advertisement, it was intended to make what he was saying easier for his American audience to understand, and was thus a deliberate distortion of what an Australian would typically say.

.....so there you go. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 07:32 PM

That's true, really he was sticking another prawn on the barbie. grin

Another thing I learned here was you guys call an esky a cooler.

I was having dinner at a hotel one time where there was a lot of Americans at the table, they were all air-force family's brought down from Darwin after a cyclone, back in 74.

I was mesmerized by their accent, and after the main meal the waitress asked who wanted desert, one lady spoke up and said, I couldn't, I'm stuffed. I said it's been a big day, has it?
She just looked at me strangely. I later worked out she was full as a tick. I thought she was just tired. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 07:52 PM

That makes sense Carl.

Kind of like "chips" can refer to potato chips or "french fries" depending on where you are.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 09:55 PM

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/27/14 10:10 PM

maximus seems happy to be back in his "place" and have me & his mommy back home from the charlotte race

but...hot passes & everything you would want passes were pretty cool
my wifes dad works in the "credentials" house for this race & has been asking me to come for atleast 12yrs. we had charlotte motor speedway communications passes....which go just about everywhere

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/28/14 12:07 AM

LOL' Lora, I bet you don't wear your thongs on your feet like we do. grin

Growing up, my mother called them thongs, I didn't know they were called flip-flops until I was over at a friend's house and her dad looked at me very strangely when I told him that I had to put my thongs on before I went to go get ice cream with her. I can only imagine what was going through his mind. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/28/14 01:17 AM

LMAO!!!

I can imagine laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/28/14 11:41 AM

Me too! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/28/14 11:36 PM

I always called them thongs growing up too. But I also heard flip flops quite a bit.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Our backwoods county up in the hills was cultured enough to get both terms!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 08:05 AM

As a youngster they were called either thongs or flip-flops; that was in Chicago's western suburbs. smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 08:23 AM

I never cared for thong style flip flops. I dont like having something running in between my toes. or any other crevices for that matter LMAO

Of course being from florida i grew up wearing sandals all the time. But not the thong flip flops. More like these... im wearing a pair of these right now actually.

But i want to get me a pair of Keen sandals one day. You can customize them on their website and all. But their a bit over 100 bucks, and i never paid 100 bucks for shoes much less sandals. I paid 100+ for a couple pairs of boots in my life, but never shoes or sandals. Maybe one day though.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 05:13 PM

Aussie kids are BORN wearing a pair of rubber thongs.... wink As we grow older and more cultured we get rubber but with canvas toe pieces.... wink You can pick the bride at a Bogan wedding...she is the one in the new thongs... Oh, I could go on for hours....

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 07:56 PM

If I don't have to wear shoes, I don't. Outside of work and in the general public I'm barefoot. It's just the way we're supposed to be. I've got way too many flip flops, mainly because they're the closest thing to being without shoes a girl can get and still be socially acceptable. cool

Back on topic smile I gave Jaz a bath today, she wasn't too pleased but she forgave me pretty quickly.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 08:02 PM

My dog becomes very sneaky when its bath time, I have to hide her lead and pretend that I'm just relaxing on the verandah. Then she will walk up for a pat.

I still have to be quick, if she gets a look at the lead, she's gone. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 08:19 PM

Talking about sneaky.
I bought this colored pony for my step daughter, years ago now, to join the local pony club. I've had horses all of my life but I've never seen a pony that could get up to mischief like this one. She would open every gate in the place, turn on all of the water taps, and even open the screen door at the house and go inside. grin

She used to throw the step daughter off every chance she got, so I'd get on her and butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.

Not to mention the damage she had done to any fruit tree or garden around the place. I even tied ropes around the gates to stop her, but always someone would forget to tie the rope again after opening the gate. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 08:52 PM

Lora he is looking great!!

Im only suppose to bath Neko at most 4 times a year, i have done it once myself so far and he did just fine with it, the 2nd time i took him for an oxygen infused bath and "spa" treatment. He came back so happy and smelling and looking wonderful. I figure since he is only suppose to be bathed 3-4 times a year its no biggie paying to have it done by a pro since he seems to love it and comes back looking and smelling so great.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 08:57 PM

Bath time is an experience at our house. Trying to get three big dogs clean is a chore.

One of them likes it
One tolerates it
And one tries to make himself as heavy and immobile as possible.

The fun part is drying them off. I've got this big blower that they use on horses that I dry the boys with. It's about like the bath as far as which dog likes it.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/29/14 11:30 PM

I rescued a little dog running along the road once, he had a name tag and a mobile number, so I rang it. It turned out his owner was a girl that owned a mobile dog wash business. Being grateful for saving her little dog she said that she would call out and give my dog a free dog wash.
When she turned up and saw the size of Stan her eyes nearly bugged out. grin all 84 kilos of him.
Being a gentleman I ended up lifting him up into the tub and held him while she washed and shampooed him. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/30/14 02:24 AM

My wife is raising a Meadowlark chick that showed up in the yard. We don't know what happened or how it got where it was, but he is doing fine. Pretty good, considering that most wild birds have a very low percentage of surviving. His name for now is Irving. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/30/14 06:25 PM

If my two fur bags see me setting up the dog bathing accessories they vanish, if I look out in the side garden there will be two sets of eyes looking back at me from up under the plants..!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/30/14 08:24 PM

WW, what is an oxygen infused bath treatment?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/30/14 09:06 PM

WW, what is an oxygen infused bath treatment?

This is a copy and paste below to give better info than i could LOL, but what i do know is we dropped Neko off and he was there 4 or 5 hours, he also got his nails clipped, ears cleaned and stuff like that as well though, when i picked him up he was happy as could be and smelled awesome!!!

Oxygen Infused Bath:
It is water infused with oxygen and a deep massaging action to help evenly distribute the right amount of shampoo. It gets deep down into the coat to remove any loose hair and debris. An oxygen infused bath will also make sure that the dog is free from parasites and other harmful insects that can cause serious damage to a puppy’s sensitive skin.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/30/14 10:13 PM

LOL. I might book myself in for one of those. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/30/14 10:20 PM

LMAO Ian, great minds think alike laugh

When we picked him up i told the wife i might call and see if they do people LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/31/14 01:25 AM

That makes three..... not sure how they would be with me turning up in my Budgie Smugglers with a big grin and pronouncing "I'M READY" ..!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/31/14 01:57 AM

That makes three..... not sure how they would be with me turning up in my Budgie Smugglers with a big grin and pronouncing "I'M READY" ..!!

LMAO, I suppose I could try the same, but I imagine that I'd just get flee powdered and sent on my way. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/31/14 02:11 AM

LMAO!!! I had to google Budgie Smugglers, HAHA yea im not sure that would work out so well!!

Id never make it out the car, the groomers were a couple of rather cute women, my wife would beat me senseless thinking i had plans other than a bath!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 05/31/14 07:40 PM

You know, that sounds like a wonderful addition to any trip to the spa....I wonder if there are places that do have something like that for humans as well a pets.

Googling

oxygen infusion facials, oxygen infused foot bath, O2 bars, are a few that I found. I was hoping for oxygen infusion shampooing, it sounds like it'd be great.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 01:56 AM

Lora you were on a mission for you oxygen infused hair bath LMAO

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 01:56 AM

They sure do grow up quick.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 05:43 AM

That top picture is a beauty. cool

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 09:51 AM

The bottom one looks good as well! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 11:41 AM

LMAO, yea Ian, my wife says she wishes puppies would keep that puppy look smile

The bottom one is his begging/sad face... He was wanting me to throw the ball.... He is addicted to fetch, but there is only so many times i can throw the ball before my arm falls off LMAO

He did figure out how to play fetch by himself though... He takes the ball to the top of the steps, drops it, and chases it down the steps.. He did it a couple dozen times last night and i was cracking up.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 01:49 PM

Smart dog. Better watch that one, he is a thinker. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 05:24 PM

Yes he is Carl, and yes i do LOL he is smart but hard headed.

Im pretty sure he is training me and not the other way around.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 10:08 PM

There are times I wish that chunky, fluffy puppy would stick with dogs forever. They're just so cute when they're small.

This morning I got home to find Jaz going absolutely nuts. I looked out into the field and I saw a small group of dear standing right at the edge of the yard. Crazy dog smile I think she wanted some venison.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/01/14 11:04 PM

At 4am Sunday I was outside in the side yard (I live on a corner block so I have a large side yard that goes to the front of the house) and my girl was having a moment at one of the "portholes" in my brick fence... seems a rabbit was there on the lawn and SHE WANTED AT IT...!!!!! Next time I have to go and distract a gundog from prey in winter I promise I will put on pants as well, it gets awkward at a point..!!!!

If it is not rabbits, it is possums or lizards...they both just hunt and hunt...

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/02/14 03:29 AM

Thats funny Andy, i can imagine you out there without any pants pulling the dog away LMAO

Neko fell asleep tonight on top of his buffalo bone smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/04/14 09:45 AM

Looks like Neko is having pleasant dreams. smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/07/14 12:19 AM

Had to let a mate of mine in NY know that a package he sent out arrived safe and sound, the package included a new pair of Ray Bans of mine, I just e-mailed him this picture....

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/07/14 02:21 AM

Sweet Picture Andy.

Neko wouldnt stay still anywhere near long enough for a shot like that LOL

The picture above right under his puppy picture took forever, and i had to bribe him with a handful of treats and his favorite ball to finally get him to stay still for the shot HAHAHA, the one when he was asleep on his buffalo bone was the first time i only had to take 1 picture!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/07/14 04:30 AM

And that is my night gone...........yuck ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/08/14 10:03 PM

Here's a cool Stan when he was a young fella. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/09/14 01:00 AM

Ha ha! Great pic. Any cooler and he'd be an iceberg smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/10/14 03:19 PM

He looks so cool, all the ice cubes are jealous!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/10/14 06:27 PM

Yep, he was a cool one alright, he could have at least blown his nose before posing for a photo though. grin

Appearances never were one of his strong points. laugh

His son, "Benson" always took better care of himself.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/11/14 07:35 AM

Here's pic of Murray the day he came into my life. He was 7 weeks old. Now he's almost 10 years!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/11/14 11:40 AM

Great pics guys! smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/11/14 04:33 PM

Look at how tiny Murray was!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/11/14 07:09 PM

Here's a cool Stan when he was a young fella. grin

Always a classic, that Stan. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/11/14 10:58 PM

Great pup picture Rob. Its hard to imagine them growing up to the size they get to.

we have to be very careful around here at the moment, there has been aerial baiting for pigs all around our place, already two neighbor dogs have been killed by 1080 baits. frown

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/12/14 03:04 AM

Great pup picture Rob. Its hard to imagine them growing up to the size they get to.

we have to be very careful around here at the moment, there has been aerial baiting for pigs all around our place, already two neighbor dogs have been killed by 1080 baits. frown

I know. It seems like only yesterday he was a baby.

That's not good news about the pig baits. Especially when peoples dogs are picking them up!

Sunnies shots...

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/12/14 01:44 PM

One of Edmund right after we brought him home. More than once, he fell asleep like this.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/12/14 04:28 PM

Edmund must have been so tired to have fallen asleep in the bowl!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/12/14 04:45 PM

One of Edmund right after we brought him home. More than once, he fell asleep like this.

That looked like me when we got home from Blade show. LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/12/14 05:13 PM

I hope you got a bit of sleep then Josh! Falling asleep in your food is no good. It just wastes good food!

I need to get a good recent picture of him. He is nowhere near that size anymore.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/12/14 06:59 PM

That is one great picture, DB. gringrin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/13/14 01:03 AM

haha I thought Murray was lazy!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/13/14 06:34 PM

Baby Dogs... laugh

This was "Rogue" (the monster wearing my glasses a page back) on the first day we met, he is laying on the deck in the back of my Landcruiser after wearing himself out "savaging" my boot...!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/13/14 09:53 PM

A 4 week old Stan.

And again at six weeks. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/14/14 09:17 AM

Ian, Stan looks so cute. It's funny, baby mastiffs look like adult pugs.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/14/14 09:19 AM

Baby Dogs... laugh

Baby dogs are the best smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/14/14 10:45 AM

They just don't stay small for long!

I've always had big dogs and probably always will. After about 3 months of age I quit trying to pick them up. My back can't take the abuse!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/14/14 12:27 PM

They just don't stay small for long!

I've always had big dogs and probably always will. After about 3 months of age I quit trying to pick them up. My back can't take the abuse!

Yep, they grow fast. Luckily there are some drawbacks to puppy time that I don't mind losing as they grow/mature a bit.

I still pick up my doggie, but then again I'm not a tiny guy and he's just a APBT.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/14/14 12:55 PM

I still pick mine up from time to time... he doesnt like to be held or carried though... And he only weighs around 20 pounds now LMAO The most he is likely to ever weigh is about 25 pounds. He is the first small/medium breed dog i ever owned.

Well my father had a few when i was younger but i called them his dogs. He had a jack russell, mini italian greyhound, and a shetland sheepdog.. At different times. But they mostly just hung around with him. That sheltie was a smart smart dog... I normally hung out with the bigger dogs... mastiff, pits, boxers, mutts... I like em all. Im a lot more picky with smaller breeds.

Once i move back to the country ill definitely have a couple more dogs. I love boxers, their playfulness and just pure goofy attitudes are awesome to me. Ill almost positively get a boxer again. The wife wants a husky but im not sure Florida is a good place for huskies because its hot a lot of the year... So ill have to look into that. But we will also have a dedicated guard dog.

One thing about being out there in the country away from neighbors is a good yard dog is important. The crime rate there is nothing compared to Philly, but i have known a few places that got broken into... Its always when nobody is home and always out in the woods in a yard with NO dogs. A dog might not keep everyone away but they definitely help out a lot.

Then if you have a garden the wildlife loves to come eat it up, even a fence becomes a losing battle against some of the more stubborn animals, but a good fast dog with a decent prey drive can help keep your garden safe a lot of the time.

Im a dog person so ill make up more excuses as time goes as to why we need more dogs LMAO

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/14/14 01:51 PM

I still pick Jaz up like a puppy. She isn't a fan of being off the ground for very long, but she loves being able to attack my face with kisses so she tolerates me holding her. I got Jaz when she was full grown and about 2 years old so I never had the little tiny puppy fun with her. She's about 6 now and getting lazier as she gets older. She doesn't play for nearly as long as she used to. The older she gets, I'm trading play time for doggy love with her laying beside or across me. There really isn't anything better than relaxing with her.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/14/14 08:30 PM

Quote:
Baby Dogs... laugh

A pile o' hound pups smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/15/14 03:19 AM

Great pic H/K! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/15/14 09:06 PM

Hmmm.... a six-headed dog bowl...

I'm a critter person. I really don't care what it is- skunk, possum, raccoon, coyote, fox (Raised / rescued all of them and returned them wild), cat, dog ...love them all. Rewards have been greater than losses in every case.

My choice pet is an AI dog or similar ...but then it needs to be at least half wild just to keep up. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/15/14 09:43 PM

Quote:
Baby Dogs... laugh

A pile o' hound pups smile

That is an incredible pic. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/15/14 09:47 PM

Carl, What is an Al dog?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/15/14 10:20 PM

Carl, What is an Al dog?

great minds think alike. grin What is an A1 Dawg?? grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/15/14 10:38 PM

American Indian Dawg

There is very careful breeding going on to re-establish, this wonderful dog. Will provide additional info in a bit.

Look Here

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/15/14 10:52 PM

WOW!! That one looks so much like an Australian Kelpie.

My dog.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 01:59 AM

Thanks fellas. I would have got a picture of all seven, but he was plumb out of sight. Should have named him Bottom Feeder after that, ha!

Hmmm.... a six-headed dog bowl...

I'm a critter person. I really don't care what it is- skunk, possum, raccoon, coyote, fox (Raised / rescued all of them and returned them wild), cat, dog ...love them all. Rewards have been greater than losses in every case.

My choice pet is an AI dog or similar ...but then it needs to be at least half wild just to keep up. smile

-carl

I remember we talked a little about these dogs last winter....one of the pics looked 'wolfie' but the literature says no.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 02:49 AM

Really cool looking dogs Carl!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 08:07 AM

I agree with Ian, the American Indian dog does look a lot like the Aust Kelpie. I wonder if they're closely related or it's just coincidence they look like that?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 08:30 AM

Those Kelpies are cool dogs as well!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 10:32 AM

I'd go for a kelpie as well. I like a dog close to his wild dog roots. Dingo adds what coyote adds. Breeders need to exercise caution in that regard for general public consumption, but A I dogs bred with coyote 100 years ago...

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 05:55 PM

I'd go for a kelpie as well. I like a dog close to his wild dog roots. Dingo adds what coyote adds. Breeders need to exercise caution in that regard for general public consumption, but A I dogs bred with coyote 100 years ago...

-carl

I agree, particularly with our Australian Cattle dogs, Show dog breeders have slowly turned them into stumpy little compact dogs, that were originally bred for speed cunning and agility, hence incredible working ability.
That is why I went to a working dog breeder for my last dog.

This has happened to many breeds, take a Cocker Spaniel for instance, they are now nothing more that a lap dog. They were once a very useful working dog.

Fortunately, Kelpies are not that popular here in the show rings and obtaining a good working dog is much easier than the ACD.

We had a vet here at the nursery a month or two ago buying plants. She remarked, after looking at our dog. "If everyone owned Kelpies, vets would go broke."
They rarely have a health problem and longevity is another factor.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 06:21 PM

Carl, AI Dogs are so beautiful! Dogs that are close to their wild roots have held a special place in my heart for a long time. Growing up, my uncle used to take me to a coyote farm. I loved going.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 08:28 PM

Here are some Kelpies working.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/16/14 10:27 PM

Those are some very talented dogs. Thanks for the vids.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/17/14 05:04 PM

I had a Kelpie growing up, she was a great pup, I was probably seven or eight and had a birthday party at home, my lingering memory was of the Kelpie hearing 9 or 10 kids into the corner of our yard and "holding" them there..... !!! laugh laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/17/14 05:46 PM

Got a neighbor with an AI Dog. Another neighbor would shoot it if he saw it, thinking it a coyote. Interesting thing is, that dog is always around my place but the shooter has never seen it. Smart dog.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/17/14 07:36 PM

I had a Kelpie growing up, she was a great pup, I was probably seven or eight and had a birthday party at home, my lingering memory was of the Kelpie hearing 9 or 10 kids into the corner of our yard and "holding" them there..... !!! laugh laugh

Andy, that's what happens when that don't have livestock to work. grin my Kelpie works the bush cat we have here, she's like a cutting horse buzzing back and forwards giving the cat hell. grin
He tries to fight back, but she is too quick, occasionally she gives a yelp when the cats laid one on her. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/17/14 08:59 PM

Man i need a kelpie to help get my kids to bed HAHA

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/17/14 10:47 PM

Man i need a kelpie to help get my kids to bed HAHA

Excellent idea. Lots of folks would catch that trend and own Kelpies.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/17/14 11:02 PM

Carl, AI Dogs are so beautiful! Dogs that are close to their wild roots have held a special place in my heart for a long time. Growing up, my uncle used to take me to a coyote farm. I loved going.

Can't agree more, Lora. Growing up in the woods, I'd occasionally trip to the presence of having company, unknown, rarely seen, but there. Over time I came to love being shadowed by my curious friend and often looped my route so as to come across my tracks again and figure out what was following me. The revelation was inevitably coyote, and thus began a sort of courtship where I brought food to drop (for my shadow) and an increasing occurrence of her following me. That led to more sightings, less fear on her part, and a long friendship (of sorts).

Those are days I will never forget, and led to my wanting an AI dog ...to cement the friendship.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/24/14 07:46 PM

Are the AI dogs workers or hunters?
I imagine that hunting would be the most logical, though there is a fine line between working dogs and hunting dogs.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 06/24/14 09:22 PM

They were (are) both. Good (not great) noses, they are more sight hunters than cold trail workers. When I get one, she will be kept close to avoid hunters thinking "coyote" and shooting her, because that would land me in jail.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/07/14 05:34 PM

A face only a mother could love. grin

I caught old Butch sunning himself on the table out on the verandah. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/08/14 01:31 AM

I believe that's the "You owe me money" face ^ LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/08/14 01:32 AM

He is mighty purty, Ian. Tough looking cat ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/08/14 03:14 AM

woops - wrong thread.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/08/14 07:16 PM

A face only a mother could love. grin

I caught old Butch sunning himself on the table out on the verandah. grin

Old Butch will do. He is the kind you don't bathe smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/08/14 08:05 PM

I'd hate to try and bathe him, he's as wild as buggery. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/08/14 09:47 PM

How to wash a cat

This was simply too much of a time saver not to share it with you:

1. Put both lids of the toilet up. And add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close the lid. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a 'power-wash' and rinse.'

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift the lid.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Sincerely, The Dog

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/08/14 10:34 PM

LMAO Carl!!

I like the clothes washing machines with the clear lids so you can watch the cat spin around and get cleaned.

-joke grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/08/14 11:56 PM

lol.I love that. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/09/14 10:51 AM

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/09/14 01:13 PM

Definitely good ones! laugh laugh laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/10/14 01:26 PM

One of my favorite Far Side cartoons there.

I think the boys are about due for a bath. They got into something the other day that will peel the paint off the walls.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/10/14 03:02 PM

Neko played in the water today grin He is a happy camper right now!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/10/14 05:15 PM

Neko is getting big.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/10/14 05:18 PM

One of my favorite Far Side cartoons there.

The Far Side cartoons were great. Sometimes they'd just crack me up, and then others I'd just have to look at and wonder what I was missing LOL.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/10/14 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.
Neko is getting big.

Yes he is.

He is about at his full adult height and length now according to the breed standard. He will prolly get a little stockier, i read they can keep filling out until 2 years old and i was told the males faces get fatter around 1-2 years old. But he has pretty much about reached his full size.

A huge ~16" or so at the withers lol grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/10/14 06:55 PM

Good looking dog! smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/24/14 03:23 AM

Daughter had a birthday today.... laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/24/14 03:39 AM

Thats awesome, how old??

And whats the cake made of?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/24/14 08:44 AM

Happy birthday.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/24/14 05:02 PM

She is 4, the base of the cake is beef mince done in a heart shaped cake tin topped with kibble and dog friendly "chocolate" buds.... wink The boy is 6 next week so we have to do it all again.... laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/25/14 10:34 AM

Am I the only one that thinks that cake sounds delicious.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/25/14 07:11 PM

No mate, I have eyed off their cakes as well...previous years they have had "icing" made from mashed potato or pumpkin... wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/25/14 07:27 PM

Thats awesome Andy!!! Very creative on the cake too!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/25/14 08:54 PM

Pumpkin icing!?!! shocked Say what! That sounds delectable.
Posted by: elof_alv

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/25/14 09:07 PM

One of by boys:

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/30/14 04:12 AM

So it still seems like only yesterday Satan's Spawn arrived home...but today he had his sixth Birthday with us..!!

As usual a "cake" ...

And him patiently waiting in "his" chair for it to be served...

A true test of his willpower...

Going...

Going still....

Gone...but sharing the crumbs with his baby sister...

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/30/14 10:40 AM

That is very cool. Happy birthday.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/30/14 12:00 PM

Thats awesome Andy!! Im going to have to get a recipe from you eventually for these dog cakes!!

Neko turns 1 ON Thanksgiving day!!! I think its pretty cool his 1st birthday will be on thanksgiving.

I should find him a turkey LOL...A live one... He would like that best. He keeps trying to catch the birds that fly around here but he just hasnt figured out how to use his paws to fly... YET grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/30/14 09:19 PM

It looks as though it is a very happy birthday for your boy. Great looking cake!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/30/14 09:33 PM

That's some birthday cake, Andy. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/30/14 09:35 PM

No flash drives or car keys on the cake Andy? wink
Posted by: Curt

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/31/14 05:56 PM

My Lab pup, doing what Labs should be doing, hunting.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/31/14 06:24 PM

That is a good looking pup.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 07/31/14 06:29 PM

Labs are great hunting and family dogs, my sister had one that used to go down to the front gate every morning and bring the newspaper up to the house. grin

A bit slobbered on though. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/01/14 04:31 PM

Nice looking pup there, Curt. Love those huntin' dogs smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/01/14 06:37 PM

That little guy is adorable! I love lab pups!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/02/14 01:45 PM

Awesome little guy you have there Curt!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/03/14 11:07 PM

Very cute pup you have there Curt; it should be a great companion! smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/07/14 11:15 PM

My dog is AWESOME.

Took Neko on a walk a few minutes ago... I normally take him on long walks at night because its cooler out and there are less people walking their dogs.

I walked him to the park and let him run around inside the fenced in area a little bit, which was really nice because he doesnt get to go off leash very much since he is aggressive with other animals he doesnt know... But there was no one out this late so he got to run around for a while. He had a blast!!

Walking back we had a loose pitbull mix run up on us, it got about 10 feet from us and started growling softly.... So i went to pick Neko up to carry him away and then the other dog started barking at me like crazy... Man, Neko wasnt having that AT ALL!! He went full on defense mode and was snapping showing his teeth and yanking on the leash trying to rip that dog apart!!! The other dog looked at neko like he was crazy..... but he did go away!!

Now, I know if they were both let loose that pit bull mixed dog would likely kill Neko, but i LOVE how much spirit this little dog has!! He was not going to let that bigger dog bully us what so ever, he was like shoot, you gotta show me something LMAO!!!

These are not my pictures.... I just really like them LOL

Shiba VS mechanical bear

Shiba VS boar

Shibas VS sheep

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/08/14 02:22 AM

LOL. They are great shots, WW. grin

What laws do you have there with Pit Bulls?

Down here a Pit Bull and some other breeds must be on a leash and muzzled. My Stan would have had to be led the same way. He never got to go where any other pedestrians or animals were anyways, so it really didn't matter.
He often rode in the back of my truck and managed to scare plenty of people that walked past it. grin

He used to roar and go half crazy as soon as someone walked near the truck. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/08/14 05:56 AM

Great story, WW. Thanks for sharing. Awesome dog for sure ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/08/14 03:07 PM

You gotta love a dog that will take on anything to protect his owner. I have a chow lab mix that is like that. Everyone thinks he is mean. I love it because he stays at my feet and in between me and anyone else around.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/10/14 01:00 AM

Thanks fellas.

Ian, there are no specific laws on pits here that i know of. A few years ago i had one myself. You see them all over the place really.

There are lots of places that wont let you rent with a pit bull, but there are also lots of places that wont let you rent with any dog at all, so its not really against the breed itself.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/10/14 09:54 PM

Many years ago I was laying abed in a hospital broken up through some poorly conceived antic. There I met a fella who was an African lion handler for the movies. He was also busted up. I was fascinated with the nature and cause of his injury. Turns out he was on a set getting ready to film with two large male lions which he had raised from cubs. Somewhere on another nearby set they were filming a western and a gunfight broke out. Startled at the sound of gunfire both 500+ pound male lions dove between his legs for protection (as they had been doing since "cubhood").
We became friends and that afforded me a chance to witness his skill with the lions. One evening several stray dogs came to his compound to raid it. He said "watch this", and at the proper time gave the command to the lions to stand and roar. Both did in terrifying harmony. All dogs turned themselves inside out to retreat. I have wanted a lion ever since. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/13/14 11:08 PM

Many years ago I was laying abed in a hospital broken up through some poorly conceived antic. There I met a fella who was an African lion handler for the movies. He was also busted up. I was fascinated with the nature and cause of his injury. Turns out he was on a set getting ready to film with two large male lions which he had raised from cubs. Somewhere on another nearby set they were filming a western and a gunfight broke out. Startled at the sound of gunfire both 500+ pound male lions dove between his legs for protection (as they had been doing since "cubhood").
We became friends and that afforded me a chance to witness his skill with the lions. One evening several stray dogs came to his compound to raid it. He said "watch this", and at the proper time gave the command to the lions to stand and roar. Both did in terrifying harmony. All dogs turned themselves inside out to retreat. I have wanted a lion ever since. smile

-carl

A lion's roar is certainly something that evokes a deep down primal fear. I was visiting Mogo Zoo many moons ago on the south New South Wales coast. They participate in the international big cat breeding programme and have many large cats such as lions, tigers etc.

The big male lion in the main enclosure decided he was going to assert his dominance with a chorus of roars for about 30 mins. It sent shivers down my spine and was incredibly intimidating. I was VERY glad for the steel fence in between me and him. Amazing and beautiful creatures that need to be protected and nurtured.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/22/14 02:16 AM

The next generation.....

My female Walker, Maggie, and her new batch of pups. Big heart, small body. We call her Mini-Mag, ha smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/22/14 03:08 AM

That's a great picture HK. cool

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/22/14 03:50 PM

Maggie's face reminds me of my old buddy Spud; he was my pal for 16 years. smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/22/14 06:31 PM

She does have that "what the hell have I done" look going on !!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/22/14 06:35 PM

LOL.
Or she's thinking, are you sure I can get rid of these little monsters in a few weeks? grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/22/14 09:38 PM

LOL. They are great shots, WW. grin

What laws do you have there with Pit Bulls?

Down here a Pit Bull and some other breeds must be on a leash and muzzled. My Stan would have had to be led the same way. He never got to go where any other pedestrians or animals were anyways, so it really didn't matter.
He often rode in the back of my truck and managed to scare plenty of people that walked past it. grin

He used to roar and go half crazy as soon as someone walked near the truck. laugh

There are different laws for different locations. I know that trying to find an apartment is difficult with a husky. When I was looking for a temporary place for Jaz and myself there were quite a few different apartments that I had to walk away from because huskies were on their "aggressive breeds" list. I was more than a little upset.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/23/14 01:31 AM

LOL.
Or she's thinking, are you sure I can get rid of these little monsters in a few weeks? grin

Lol. She's already spending some time on top of the dog house rather than in it. smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/23/14 01:35 AM

Maggie's face reminds me of my old buddy Spud; he was my pal for 16 years. smile

Sixteen years is a pretty good run. What kind of dog was he?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/23/14 01:36 AM

There are different laws for different locations. I know that trying to find an apartment is difficult with a husky. When I was looking for a temporary place for Jaz and myself there were quite a few different apartments that I had to walk away from because huskies were on their "aggressive breeds" list. I was more than a little upset.
.... yeah I own another house back where I grew up. My agent there was against allowing dogs, I said I would be a hypocrite if I didn't as I know what it was like when I was renting here in Sydney with two...!!!!!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/23/14 03:39 PM

H/K....my pal Spud was a beagle. He didn't know he was small, and the only dog he shied away from was my 165# Malamute. He used to climb up my bales of hay stacked three high and then tease the other dogs. He was all heart! smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/24/14 12:54 AM

Lol. Ole Spud sounds like a good 'un alright! smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/24/14 02:26 AM

PUPPIES grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/24/14 09:30 PM

H/K....my pal Spud was a beagle. He didn't know he was small, and the only dog he shied away from was my 165# Malamute. He used to climb up my bales of hay stacked three high and then tease the other dogs. He was all heart! smile

spud is a great name for a dog. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/25/14 06:25 PM

Agreed. Spud is a great name. I have three fowl named Bird, Duck, and Goose ...the kiss principle works for me.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/25/14 09:24 PM

Jaz was a year old when I first got her, she'll be 6 at the beginning of the year. She refused to answer to the name that the previous owners had given her, "Stitch", so I let her decide what her name was going to be. I spent an entire weekend calling different names. Just when I was about to give up she stopped in her tracks when I said "What about Jaz?". When I noticed her reaction I called to her using her name, she came running and it's stuck.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/25/14 11:49 PM

My two.... well that was easy....

The Boy, decided to get him as we were driving back after seven weeks in the Northern Territory, camping fishing, dodging large reptiles that thought I looked like lunch... wink

There was a bad Aussie movie around not long before relating to a very large and upset crocodile (like an Aussie freshwater versions of Jaws if you will)... some of the areas we camped and fished etc were the setting for the movie. As an exercise in staying awake during the very last few hours of the last ten hour day to get home (at 2am) the game was to name the new boy dog (he was not conceived at that point BTW)...finally, about 1am, on the Bell's Line of Road just west of Sydney (yes I remember just where wink ) the game ended with "ROGUE", the title of the movie relating to the croc... wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(film)

Now the girl...she came along a couple of years later.... and it was a struggle for a bit to get a name different from his (when you are screaming at him for his perpetual badness it is good he knows it is him in trouble - but what the hell did I expect calling him "Rogue" in the first bloody place)and yet complementary....they are brother and sister so it needed (in my mind) to go together a little.... so along came "ALLI" ...which, is of course an abbreviation of her full name "Alli-Gator" ... wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 08/31/14 09:29 PM

An updated picture of my little buddy... He is 9 months old now!

Full of energy and loves to play.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/01/14 01:23 PM

Beautiful dog! smile

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/01/14 01:47 PM

Looking good.
Posted by: PatrickKnight2

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/01/14 05:39 PM

Here is a picture of my little buddy. This cat literally follows me every where I go when I am at home. I sit on the sofa he sits next to me, I go to bed he lays down next to me, and when he wants me to pet him he will paw my face until I do. Picture is a bit blurry but he didn't want to stand still and my skills with a camera are horrible.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/01/14 06:29 PM

PKnight-

I also have a little buddy, feline, who is very similar in traits- specifically, follows me everywhere and knows how to get attention (and when not to do so). He is Mainecoon and 33# at 5 years old.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/01/14 08:12 PM

That's a nice looking cat, PK.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/01/14 09:41 PM

Thanks fellas!!

Cool cat PK!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/03/14 11:39 PM

PK2.....I think I have a twin to your cat! shocked

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/05/14 02:55 AM

Born to ride. grin

Young Harley getting ready for a spin on the bike.

One with a youngster.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/05/14 09:27 AM

Great pics Ian.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/15/14 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight2
Here is a picture of my little buddy. This cat literally follows me every where I go when I am at home. I sit on the sofa he sits next to me, I go to bed he lays down next to me, and when he wants me to pet him he will paw my face until I do. Picture is a bit blurry but he didn't want to stand still and my skills with a camera are horrible.

Pat, this must be his "country cousin"! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/16/14 05:55 PM

Well, Klink, at least you have ONE friend (smirk), and a beautiful one at that!

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/16/14 06:29 PM

I must admit, he is much more handsome than my Butch. grin

Who I might add, is in the bad books for killing and eating one of my wife's pet Possums the other night. frown

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/16/14 07:14 PM

That Butch will be after Wallabies next... smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/17/14 02:42 AM

I guess that Butch is still a growing cat. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/17/14 03:46 AM

Sorry to hear about the pet possum.

Round here you can barely get a cat to eat anything unless its poured into a bowl for it.

Now my Neko... If it moves its food. I was out in the back yard a few weeks ago cleaning up and i moved these old flower pots that was up against the house and soon as i did it a little mouse ran out.. Neko had that thing swallowed before i could get to him. He has caught more than a handful of mice already. I can normally get them from him before he eats them but sometimes he is just too quick. If we were in the country id let him eat all of them, im just worried he is going to grab one after its been poisoned or something here in the city.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/17/14 10:47 AM

That Butch will be after Wallabies next... smile

-carl

Or Buffalo. I'll bet he's thought about it laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/27/14 03:14 PM

This is her "But mom, I'm too cute to be in trouble" face. I just can't stay mad at her for too long. Do you blame me?

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/27/14 08:19 PM

Not at all Lora... !!!

My girl is still ill at the moment and as well as having me loose lots of sleep over her, she can do no wrong either just now wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/27/14 09:44 PM

Lora-

Not at all....

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/27/14 10:20 PM

She looks beautiful, Lora ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/27/14 10:45 PM

This is her "But mom, I'm too cute to be in trouble" face. I just can't stay mad at her for too long. Do you blame me?

Like I said the other day, they never judge or blame you for anything.
Can't say that about humans. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/28/14 05:40 PM

+1 to that, Ian, still man's best friend.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/28/14 10:46 PM

Just an update on my lab, who is now 14mths, he's great on the ducks and I'm now teaching him to scent trail deer, but it's only early stages yet.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/28/14 11:21 PM

Great picture Lora and Curt!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/29/14 06:08 AM

He's a good looking dog, Curt.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/29/14 10:02 AM

Curt-
Great looking lab. Please let us know how it works out with the deer. Mine could find my kid when she was running the woods, even when she was several miles away. We sorta trained her that way because the kid wouldn't show up for dinner and it gave us peace of mind that the Lab could find her.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/29/14 03:47 PM

Like I said the other day, they never judge or blame you for anything.
Can't say that about humans. grin

Very true, Ian. Dogs are the most amazing gift that we can be blessed with in this life. Their unconditional love is something miraculous.

That makes me think of this little thing I read a while back. It's a little sad, but it's sweet and true.

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owner, his wife, and their little boy were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, the owners told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old boy to observe the procedure. They felt he could learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. The little boy seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.

Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

The little boy, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four-year- old continued, "Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Curt, your lab is beautiful. I agree with everyone else, please keep us updated with how he's doing with tracking deer.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/29/14 06:02 PM

Lora-
Thanks for sharing that story about Belker.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/29/14 07:18 PM

Thanks, Lora.

I remember that fateful day I had to have Stan put down for cancer.

He seemed to know it was over and tucked his head under my arm as the vet administered the needle.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 09/30/14 10:34 PM

I think putting down a pet is among the worst of life's trials.

I've lost too many.........

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 10/01/14 12:49 AM

You're not alone Carl. smirk

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 10/01/14 03:39 PM

Having to put a pet down is the most difficult thing I've had to encounter. I've cried for the loss of pets more than I've cried for the loss of people, pets are just too close to let go.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 10/02/14 03:14 AM

Having to put a pet down is the most difficult thing I've had to encounter. I've cried for the loss of pets more than I've cried for the loss of people, pets are just too close to let go.

Oh so very true Lora.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 10/02/14 06:41 AM

I agree. It's certainly the most difficult and gut wrenching thing I've had to do in my life.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/03/14 11:49 PM

One of my cats ate a peanut frown
And wanted more too!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/04/14 01:41 AM

One of Neko's favorite foods is peanut butter. He goes slap crazy for it.

He knows what the peanut butter jar looks like and where it goes in the cabinet. When my daughter goes to make herself a peanut butter jelly sandwich Neko gets all excited thinking its for him.

Neko turns 1 year old this month on Thanksgiving day. He will get his own bird to eat on thanksgiving laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/04/14 12:43 PM

I have two cats that want anything I eat ...even peanut butter.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/04/14 02:12 PM

One of Neko's favorite foods is peanut butter. He goes slap crazy for it.

I think most dogs do.

Whenever we have an empty peanut butter jar, or near empty, its given to the dog and she sits out on the grass for hours licking out the last little bit. The jar ends up highly polished. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/04/14 06:15 PM

I do the same thing with out near empties Ian!!

Sometimes ill take a little bit of kibble and throw it in the jar and shake it around real good and give him that. He plays with it longer that way.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/09/14 01:50 AM

Neko is almost 1 year old now!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/09/14 02:43 AM

Great pics mate...!!!!! Wow ...a year already ..!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/09/14 04:43 AM

Yessir he grew up QUICK!! He is my lil buddy.

Wife got me a new camera so i was playing with it grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/09/14 05:57 AM

He is a good looking dog WW. Hard to believe that a year has gone by since you got him....

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/09/14 10:27 AM

Yessir he grew up QUICK!! He is my lil buddy.

Wife got me a new camera so i was playing with it grin

Great looking mutt there, WW. I'm with Magoo and Andy ...a whole year????

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/09/14 03:08 PM

Thanks fellas.

He actually turns 1 on the 27th. Thanksgiving day. But we are pretty close now!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/09/14 03:20 PM

He's looking quite the young man these days, WW. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/10/14 03:46 PM

He looks great.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/10/14 11:13 PM

For sure! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/11/14 12:14 AM

Thanks fellas! He is a handful!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/27/14 02:22 PM

Neko's birthday is today, on thanksgiving. Here is his breakfast. Turkey neck and giblets. He had this earlier this morning. Finished it all in a couple minutes. Happy camper.

He is getting a pound of raw steak for his dinner in an hour or so.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/27/14 02:27 PM

It started in his bowl... But he prefers it off the ground so he tipped the bowl over.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/27/14 03:40 PM

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/27/14 05:11 PM

There great pictures, WW, But I'm thinking if my dog gets to see these, she's going to start thinking I'm seriously neglecting her. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/27/14 05:14 PM

That looks like one HAPPY dog!!! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/27/14 05:27 PM

Great pics, WW ! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/27/14 05:33 PM

Ian i told my wife it was hard to hand him the steak... That would of tasted great on the grill LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/28/14 09:28 AM

I think he eats better than me. LOL Looks like he enjoyed his meals.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 11/30/14 05:33 PM

Ian i told my wife it was hard to hand him the steak... That would of tasted great on the grill LOL

Yep, too good for the dawg. grin

I thought we had a Bandicoot digging holes out back, that is until my wife caught our dog in a hole about a foot and a half deep pelting dirt out behind her about 3 foot into the air. laugh

I'm not sure if she's looking for a lost bone or just coal mining,lol.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/01/14 03:19 PM

I think the dog is digging a tunnel to WW's house... smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/13/14 05:42 PM

-carl

lol. She is also good at eating xmas beetles,the last hot night we had I counted over sixty xmas beetles consumed.
They sound like she's eating a packet of potato crisps. grin

Only the smaller ones, the big xmas beetle mustn't taste as good.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/13/14 05:51 PM

-carl

LMAO!! Id follow that tunnel back to Ian's house!! I dont like flying so that would be an easier way to get to Australia!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/13/14 06:02 PM

Don't tell Homeland Security ...they will invent thousands of ways to "protect" us from intruders.................

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/13/14 06:39 PM

Don't tell Homeland Security ...they will invent thousands of ways to "protect" us from intruders.................

-carl

She's in enough trouble without that. grin
A couple of nights ago she came tearing around the corner of the house from the bush after chasing a Wallaby, my wife stuck her leg out to make her jump a hedge she was standing near, and the dog came straight ahead hitting my wife at about 30 mile an hour. grin

No damage to the dog, but my wife has had xrays and is now needing an MRI scan for crucial ligament damage.
And I'm getting to do all of the bloody work. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/13/14 09:11 PM

Ouch!!

Sorry to hear that part about the injury to your wife. Hope she turns out OK ...and I hope the dog survives her return home. wink

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/13/14 11:26 PM

I'm on the dogs side, sticking your leg out on a dark night in front of a running dog is not smart at the best of times. grin

She made a spectacular landing, flew up horizontal to the ground and came down flat on her back. laugh
Lucky it was on the grassed section.

It happened last Friday night, she is getting around, slowly with a leg brace and walking stick.
I don't think its going to get better for a good while either.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/14/14 03:32 PM

I'm on the dogs side, sticking your leg out on a dark night in front of a running dog is not smart at the best of times. grin

She made a spectacular landing, flew up horizontal to the ground and came down flat on her back. laugh
Lucky it was on the grassed section.

It happened last Friday night, she is getting around, slowly with a leg brace and walking stick.
I don't think its going to get better for a good while either.

Then you can avoid the ACTUAL honey-do list in favor of catering to her needs... Here is hoping she mends before you wear out. smile

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/14/14 04:30 PM

My boy took my knee out only last week...!!! He was asleep in our bedroom at 2330hrs while the power company was doing the emergency repairs (we got smashed in one of the storms last week and a tree branch severed the incomming powerline at the wall), I walked into the darkened room and he heard something that needed an immediate response...he ran headlong into my knee, than had the audacity to walk over me to keep responding while I lay on the floor !!!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/14/14 08:44 PM

The lad needs to play Rugby.

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/14/14 08:56 PM

I won't tell her you said that Ian!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/15/14 10:40 AM

No worries- I am relatively certain that Ian already said as much. He is due to be out of the hospital in a few weeks, having been thrashed by a one-legged woman after his faithful canine friend abandoned any defensive strategy. wink

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 12/15/14 01:16 PM

I won't tell her you said that Ian!

lol. I already have. (not while she was still laying on the ground), I'm not that game. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/15 02:22 AM

"Neko look up, im trying to take your picture"

"NEKO"

"Neko look at me damnit"

"NEKO I SAID LOOK"

"peanut butter"

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/15 10:18 AM

You got MY attention.....

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/15 11:37 AM

He is looking good. Looks like he is enjoying all that snow.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/15 02:33 PM

Yea he loves the snow. He will be the only one who misses it after the move LOL.

He was much more photogenic today.

His "GQ" pose.

His "Come and take it" pose.

And his "I just dropped acid?" pose.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/15 02:53 PM

LOL He is a beautiful dog.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/15 03:47 PM

Thanks brother!!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/15 04:48 PM

Beautiful indeed! wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 02/17/15 07:53 PM

Not only beautiful, he's having a ball in that snow. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/06/15 05:45 AM

Thanks guys. He loves him some snow.

Here he is just a few hours ago... He is looking for one of his balls that got buried under the snow. I was wanting him to hurry up and piss and come inside so i could close the door for the night LOL

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/15 02:08 AM

It seems that Butch the cat and Harley the possum had a show down in the shed the other night. I found Harley's body near the back wheel of my truck.

I did mention to my wife that I'd seen Butch hanging around the shed, but my wife reckoned that there's no way the cat would take him on as the possum's too vicious, well Butch proved her wrong, he's burred up and battle scared a bit, but feeling quite smug about himself. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/17/15 09:05 AM

Now THAT is a CAT!!! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/18/15 12:52 AM

Gotta love Butch! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 03/21/15 06:17 PM

Thanks guys. He loves him some snow.

That's better than my mutt, she wanders off into the bush, finds a dead critter and rolls in it. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/10/15 09:29 PM

Not hard to tell all the critters around here are in good spirits and raring for action. grin

Tiger

Butch

And the Dawg

Butch with his only friend in the world. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/10/15 09:31 PM

Great pics Ian. Your furry kids look very content.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/11/15 07:31 PM

Great pics Ian. Your furry kids look very content.

That's true. grin
I guess I would be too if I only had to lay around in the sun all day, had ample food handed out whenever I wanted it. laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/12/15 12:35 AM

Try it...you might like it! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/14/15 09:45 PM

I'm a big fan ob Bernese Mountain Dogs. We have three and they are a handful. This afternoon I got to visit an old friend whose dog had a big litter of pups about 2 months ago. So, for the afternoon I spent it in the floor with 8 Berner puppies crawling all over the place nd trying to eat my shoes. For an old dog lover, that's a perfect way tp spend a few hours.

But man, those suckers have some sharp teeth!

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/15/15 01:14 AM

I bet it was hard to leave without tucking one under your arm. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/15/15 02:48 AM

My thoughts exactly! grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/15/15 03:39 PM

Yeah, I wanted to take one home with me, but my wife would have killed me. Three big dogs is enough. For now anyway....

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/15/15 05:59 PM

Yeah, I wanted to take one home with me, but my wife would have killed me.

Yeah, funny how they don't have a sense of humor with things like that. grin

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/15/15 06:47 PM

Left to my own devices, there would be more critters in my domain. I guess that is just how some folks roll....

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/15/15 07:55 PM

Critters don't talk back, and generally are easier to get along with.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/16/15 08:46 AM

I find it hard to restrain myself from increasing the number of critters I have too.
If I lived in a house with a bit of land around...

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/16/15 02:49 PM

Well, I have a house and land, along with two dogs and four inside cats. They're nice to have until it comes time to pay for dog-boarding when we take a trip somewhere! shocked

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/16/15 08:20 PM

Well, I have a house and land, along with two dogs and four inside cats. They're nice to have until it comes time to pay for dog-boarding when we take a trip somewhere! shocked

My mother in law lives only a few streets away... wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/17/15 12:31 PM

That's handy! My closest relative is about 120 miles away, and that's just fine with me! grin I manage to stay out of any family squabbles. wink

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/22/15 09:41 AM

WW saw this and thought of you and your pup.

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/22/15 10:55 AM

Good one Josh! laugh

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/22/15 11:33 AM

(smirk) removes all doubt about what goes through some puppies minds...

-carl

Re: The Swamp Rat Pet Thread - 04/22/15 11:39 AM

HAHA, thats awesome!!!