What folder do you EDC?

Posted by: Need2Know

What folder do you EDC? - 06/28/12 02:28 PM

Hello all.

Many of you know I EDC Hinderers and I am aware of what a couple of you carry. For example Josh pockets a folding Rat.

I'm just curious, and am always keeping eyes peeled for the elusive Busse folder to be a reality.

So, what's the folder you have chosen as your go to EDC?
Posted by: VoxHog

- 06/28/12 03:24 PM

I rotate the following depending on mood...
- Hinderer XM18 3.5", slicer
- Strider SnG
- Hinderer XM18 3", slicer
- Victorinox Alox Farmer
- Victorinox One Hand Trekker

All great knifes. smile
Posted by: Private Klink

- 06/28/12 03:47 PM

I always carry my Cold Steel XL Voyager, and usually a small Schrade folder in the other pocket. I spend the bigger money on bigger fixed-blade knives...;)cool
Posted by: Mumbojumboo

- 06/28/12 04:32 PM

At work GEC good as gold

mumbo dump by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Off work GEC Beaver tail

mumbo dumpo 7_25_12 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

when it is dark Moonglow manix

mumbo dump 12_29 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

mumbo edcf ghost by mumbojumboo, on Flickr
Posted by: Joshua R.

- 06/28/12 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5400

For example Josh pockets a folding Rat.

I do???? LOL Are you talking about this little guy in the middle. :p

Posted by: infocus2006

- 06/28/12 05:14 PM

Syderco Manix or Benchmade Auto Rift! Sometimes a carry a Case xx Barlow appaloosa bone 10dot just to mix it up!
Posted by: Carl Theile

- 06/28/12 05:14 PM

Benchmade McHenry and Williams axis lock in D2 and a Gerber Paul- but I also EDC two non-folders: a Warden and his little brother.
-carl

- 06/28/12 05:20 PM

Can we see those gerber paul knives. I have a few and they are slick.

This one is a Lone Wolf Paul

mumbo's stuff by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

- 06/28/12 05:23 PM

Yes, Josh that one in the middle!

I enjoy seeing all the different opinions on EDC folders. Everyone has a reason behind what items they carry even if that reason is that it was a gift or that you don't really care a great deal about your primary user. A tool that I may need or want may not be just right for your needs and the opposite is also possible.

I happen to care a great deal about the gear in my pocket and do not come from a position of bragging. I have had more than a few folders fail in one way or another so I was on a quest to find a robust but still practical folder. I have found most of the high-end production and mid-tech brands do a good job to fill the need of a reliable and useable tool. Then, personal preference comes into the game and for me Hinderer is on top.

Here's a pic of my primary EDC: Hinderer Gen 4 XM 18 3.5" Spanto Flipper along with a couple of my recent Blade scores. I hope any of you that were unable to get a RMD FFG or Kill Devil get a shot in the upcoming Ganza.

Enough words, it's photo time...

- 06/28/12 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Mumbojumboo;5417
Can we see those gerber paul knives. I have a few and they are slick.

This one is a Lone Wolf Paul

mumbo's stuff by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Don't (yet) have a digital photo. Plan to remedy that soon. Sorry.
-carl
Posted by: Trumby

- 06/28/12 05:56 PM

Here's mine.

- 06/28/12 06:02 PM

Man!!! I gotta get a Rat folder! Sweet knives and a cool rock Ian!

- 06/28/12 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;5428
Here's mine.

In rotation or all at once? wink

That Damascus Lionsteel looks pretty cool. I have come close to buying one a few times but closest folder I have to it is one of the limited edition, numbered DPX HEST folders they teamed up w/ Pelton to produce. It is a lot like an Izula folder that has yet to be released.

- 06/28/12 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5430
In rotation or all at once? wink

lol, laugh
Whatever I carry is always accompanied by my Leatherman

- 06/28/12 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;5435
lol, laugh
Whatever I carry is always accompanied by my Leatherman

Right on!
My little Leatherman goes many of the same places I do.

Posted by: elof_alv

- 06/28/12 09:51 PM

Rotation:
Spyderco Caly 3 ZDP
Emerson Mini A100
Blade Tech Ganyana
Kershaw Skyline
Benchmade MPR
Benchmade Mini Pardue in D2

Also keep a Leatherman Wave in my bag .

Would love to buy a Hinderer or two, but at those prices risking that the Customs will confiscate is too much.
Posted by: Dman62

- 06/28/12 10:48 PM

Spyies: Meerkat, Caly 3 ZDP, Delica. Para 2 (Blue & Brown), TSF Beast, Emerson Mini Commander, and CQC-8.
Posted by: Private Klink

- 06/28/12 11:53 PM

The Spyderco Tenacious is a decent little knife, and I carry mine on occasion.

- 06/29/12 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Private Klink;5453
The Spyderco Tenacious is a decent little knife, and I carry mine on occasion.

Got one to try my hand at stonewash, it worked fine, I like the way it looks, just find the handle to be a bit big for the blade size, but other than that it is a fine folder.

- 06/29/12 05:54 AM

Now here's a folder. laugh

Posted by: Drumrboy

- 06/29/12 06:53 AM

That ain't right!
Posted by: AngryDaddyBird

- 06/29/12 07:38 AM

I have been using a Spyderco military for 12+ years. Never failed me. I won't change until that Busse or Rat or SYKCO Folder comes out. Then I'll get three of them and start a rotation thing.
Posted by: Magoo

- 06/29/12 07:59 AM

Nice one Ian but I reckon that Al Mar Sere200 looks OK...
I still have the Spyderco Sage 2 in my pocket - nice slicer and all titanium-. Looking forward to a Strider though. Just can't carry my Lionsteel like Ian does !! wink

- 06/29/12 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Magoo;5475
Nice one Ian but I reckon that Al Mar Sere200 looks OK...
I still have the Spyderco Sage 2 in my pocket - nice slicer and all titanium-. Looking forward to a Strider though. Just can't carry my Lionsteel like Ian does !! wink

I carried a Strider SMF until I got a Hinderer XM24, very capable and robust folder. I still have it but it's keeping my other folders company while my XMs get all the work.
Posted by: RPN

- 06/29/12 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;5428
Here's mine.

How do you like the LionSteel Ian? They are going to come out with a mini version this year (hopefully) that has me pretty interested.

For me it's a SAK in the left pocket and either a para 2 or Ritter Grip with new scales in the other. Both great knives....cool

- 06/29/12 08:34 PM

Thanks Need2Know.....nice to know your Strider keeps such great company ! I am looking at the SnG model......looks just right !!

- 06/29/12 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Magoo;5493
Thanks Need2Know.....nice to know your Strider keeps such great company ! I am looking at the SnG model......looks just right !!

SNG is good size for EDC. I always like to carry a primary and secondary EDC folder. Generally, a 3-3.5" bladed primary with a 4" secondary.

Here is the SMF I mentioned earlier. I love the way everyone seems to trust my word on ownership and holds back on the "pics or didn't happen" stuff.

- 06/29/12 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;5467
Now here's a folder. laugh

...for the serious, hard-core golfer ....with a caddy to carry the folder;)
-carl

- 06/29/12 09:40 PM

Need2Know : Nice stuff indeed.......and it looks like it did happen. Nice photos.... wink

- 06/29/12 10:16 PM

How do you guys afford these expensive ass folders!?!:D Between SR and Busse knives i am spent! No funds for high end folders. I have never even seen or held a Hinderer knife or a Strider. One of you guys need to send me one to play with to see if i want one or not!:p

- 06/29/12 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Magoo;5501
Need2Know : Nice stuff indeed.......and it looks like it did happen. Nice photos.... wink

Thank you. Knives is a hobby I enjoy, happy to share a bit thru a photo or two.

I know I need to get more user pics, but when I'm using my knives taking pics is not the first thing on my mind. Try every once in awhile but can never get a quality action pic, it all looks like before and after photos.

- 06/29/12 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;5503
How do you guys afford these expensive ass folders!?!:D Between SR and Busse knives i am spent! No funds for high end folders. I have never even seen or held a Hinderer knife or a Strider. One of you guys need to send me one to play with to see if i want one or not!:p

I hear you on the Bussekin, but "there's always room for jello". In this case "jello" being high-quality folding knives.

- 06/29/12 11:25 PM

I love the look of the Hinderer knives. I have been thinking about getting a Grayman folder or the Three Sisters Forge Beast. Hinderer are a little out of my comfort zone on price!

- 06/30/12 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;5503

infocus2006 : we can't afford them but we buy them anyway !! My name is Magoo and I am a knife addict.......

- 06/30/12 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;5513
I love the look of the Hinderer knives. I have been thinking about getting a Grayman folder or the Three Sisters Forge Beast. Hinderer are a little out of my comfort zone on price!

I have knives from all three of the makers you mentioned. A 1 of 50 first run Grayman Satu DLC and carbon fiber folder and a one of a kind annodized Three Sister Forge Beast (never posted a pic in public). I choose not to disclose exactly how many Hinderers I own because each time I show or tell my inbox gets hit hard.

Here's a pic of the Grayman next to one of my 3.5 XMs.

- 06/30/12 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: RPN;5492
How do you like the LionSteel Ian? They are going to come out with a mini version this year (hopefully) that has me pretty interested.

I love the LionSteel, its a big solid folder though. Having said that I carry mine often and don't feel it being uncomfortable to carry.

- 06/30/12 09:22 AM

Yeah, looks like a big 'un! The para 2 and full sized grip are as big as I've gone. A mini lion steel would be interesting and I'm real interested in one of the ZT/Hinderers.

- 06/30/12 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: RPN;5532
Yeah, looks like a big 'un! The para 2 and full sized grip are as big as I've gone. A mini lion steel would be interesting and I'm real interested in one of the ZT/Hinderers.

The 0560 and 0561 are great if you are a flipper fan (like myself), the 0550 (rarer 0551) are thumb stud only. Some find difficulty opening their 0550s, mine flys open with just a quick thumb flick. I place my thumb nail on the stud and in a motion as if flipping a coin, open the blade.
Posted by: Toys4us

- 07/02/12 01:29 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83[/ATTACH]

I rotate between a Spyderco Endura 4, Spyderco Resilience, Kershaw Hawk, Warden and a few others.

- 07/02/12 04:48 PM

I am thinking about getting a Grayman Dua for my new EDC! But i have read some complaints on side 2 side blade play. Anyone else have any negs on Grayman folders?

- 07/02/12 09:06 PM

For $60 bucks an Endura is a great knife.

mumbo Thylacine2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

mumbo Thylacine by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

- 07/02/12 09:09 PM

Looks like that one has tick problems...:o
-carl

- 07/02/12 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;5643
I thinking about getting a Grayman Dua for my new EDC! But i have read some complaints on side 2 side blade play. Anyone else have any negs on Grayman folders?

My large, very large Grayman SATU has NO wiggle in any direction. That said, it is a recurve and does not see pocket time. Because of its size, I pack (in a pack) it along on outdoor excursions, but because my Bussekin and other fixed blades come with, this guy gets little use. It has opened several of those tricky plastic packages (that we are all familure with) that house batteries and such. It tears thru materials with ease. Very toothy edge, but cuts surprisingly well.

I have no experience with the smaller Grayman folders or even more recent folders from them in any size. The one I own was a very early and limited item. But it does get used (be it very little) despite sticker shock pricing and my lack of fondness for recurve blade shapes.

- 07/02/12 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;5658
Looks like that one has tick problems...:o
-carl

hahaha. I RIT dyed it. My son said it looks like a Thylacine.

- 07/02/12 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Mumbojumboo;5662
hahaha. I RIT dyed it. My son said it looks like a Thylacine.

Oh so it is a custom! Great! cool
-carl

- 07/03/12 11:26 AM

hahaha. New paint=custom.

- 07/03/12 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mumbojumboo;5709
hahaha. New paint=custom.

Not so much custom as customized. For example, a hand-made, one-of-a-kind or limited piece made by its creator and deemed as "custom", is a custom. If I paint, anodize, or modify a piece; it is then "customized" or "pimped".

- 07/03/12 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5718
Not so much custom as customized. For example, a hand-made, one-of-a-kind or limited piece made by its creator and deemed as "custom", is a custom. If I paint, anodize, or modify a piece; it is then "customized" or "pimped".

....if I split a hair, is it custom or customized (smirk).
-carl

- 07/03/12 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;5724
....if I split a hair, is it custom or customized (smirk).
-carl

Dunno.

Probably depends on if it's your hair or that of another. wink

- 07/03/12 06:23 PM

N2K-

I was poking fun at you splitting hairs on that definition...
-carl

- 07/03/12 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;5726
N2K-

I was poking fun at you splitting hairs on that definition...
-carl

I know...I'm playing a bit too. Nothing but respect, especially for all those who were here before me.

- 07/03/12 08:03 PM

I have a pre-order in for the kershaw cryo...looks interesting- a poor mans ZT! cool:D

- 07/03/12 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: RPN;5731
I have a pre-order in for the kershaw cryo...looks interesting- a poor mans ZT! cool:D

I have a couple of these pre-ordered also. Got to play with one at the Kershaw/ZT booth at Blade. It's small and feels much better than the Cryo 2, smoother action too. Good little knife for when you cannot carry a larger knife or more valuable one.

- 07/03/12 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5732
I have a couple of these pre-ordered also. Got to play with one at the Kershaw/ZT booth at Blade. It's small and feels much better than the Cryo 2, smoother action too. Good little knife for when you cannot carry a larger knife or more valuable one.

Really? I ordered the 2 figuring I liked the size...more like my para 2 and ritter griptilian. What didn't you like about the 2?
Posted by: Toys4us

- 07/03/12 09:04 PM

Mumbojumboo, I like that paint job. Well done. I'll have to try that on one of my brown Enduras. Thanks for posting the pics.

- 07/03/12 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5728
I know...I'm playing a bit too. Nothing but respect, especially for all those who were here before me.

Oh, no offense taken, just thought I might need to clarify me pokin fun. This is a great group, and we do fool around a bit, especially with each-other. That said, it is always good to err on the side of caution....
-carl

- 07/03/12 11:53 PM

On a lighter note... I use to use this as my EDC but i kept cutting my jeans trying to get my keys out of my pocket and everyone looked at me like i was weird. I had to represent since i am a Level 5 Mall Ninja!!!:p

- 07/04/12 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: RPN;5733
Really? I ordered the 2 figuring I liked the size...more like my para 2 and ritter griptilian. What didn't you like about the 2?

The story is as follows. Was strolling around Blade and paused at the ZT/Kershaw booth. Guy behind the counter called me over and said "hey, you interested in our new models?". I am a bit interested and said I have two Cryos on order, own a 0550, 0560, and 0561. He smiled a little as he recognized he was speaking with a customer.

He handed me what I thought was a Cryo, as I had never held one. I was taken aback since it was bigger than I had hoped and felt very inline with its price tag. I said, I thought the Cryo was smaller. Guy said, "that's the 2" then reached into a neighboring display case and produced the Cryo. In hand it was smaller and was what I was expecting.

Comparing the two, the inexpensive feel is there in both, but more obvious on the larger model. Still good knives. I can see them as good light users or tackle/tool/glove box knives or knives you pack in the checked luggage when you fly. But I can also see them never being an end all EDC, I know I would be wanting more knife in my pocket/hand.

I handled all their new "fancy" prototype knives too. I have opinions on each of them but no one asked, so I'll hold off on that.

- 07/04/12 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;5738
On a lighter note... I use to use this as my EDC but i kept cutting my jeans trying to get my keys out of my pocket and everyone looked at me like i was weird. I had to represent since i am a Level 5 Mall Ninja!!!:p

Ever see that movie 7?

That fist of sharpened shark reminds me of the Lust sin response. Pretty wicked stuff.

- 07/04/12 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;5737
Oh, no offense taken, just thought I might need to clarify me pokin fun. This is a great group, and we do fool around a bit, especially with each-other. That said, it is always good to err on the side of caution....
-carl

Right on. Add me to the fun column, I can take some mild to slightly aggressive jabs without a whimper. As friendships grow so can the abuse.cool

- 07/04/12 05:18 AM

Infocus2006 - that knife pic made my day !! Mall Ninja L5......lol smile

- 07/04/12 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5718

I guess I sholuld have put a ? 'New paint =custom?' My wife wrecked the car and no we have a custom Town and country.

Now, This is customized

dawg2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

- 07/04/12 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5744
The story is as follows. Was strolling around Blade and paused at the ZT/Kershaw booth. Guy behind the counter called me over and said "hey, you interested in our new models?". I am a bit interested and said I have two Cryos on order, own a 0550, 0560, and 0561. He smiled a little as he recognized he was speaking with a customer.

He handed me what I thought was a Cryo, as I had never held one. I was taken aback since it was bigger than I had hoped and felt very inline with its price tag. I said, I thought the Cryo was smaller. Guy said, "that's the 2" then reached into a neighboring display case and produced the Cryo. In hand it was smaller and was what I was expecting.

Comparing the two, the inexpensive feel is there in both, but more obvious on the larger model. Still good knives. I can see them as good light users or tackle/tool/glove box knives or knives you pack in the checked luggage when you fly. But I can also see them never being an end all EDC, I know I would be wanting more knife in my pocket/hand.

I handled all their new "fancy" prototype knives too. I have opinions on each of them but no one asked, so I'll hold off on that.

Ahhhh I see....good scoop and story! Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm curious- how big the smaller model? Like a Delica?

- 07/04/12 09:21 AM

Originally Posted By: RPN;5752
Ahhhh I see....good scoop and story! Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm curious- how big the smaller model? Like a Delica?

There is a video on you tube with the Cryo in hand. I found it with a quick GOOG search of "kershaw cryo". Will give a better point of reference than written description. It seems a little smaller than a Delica. You lose the grippy feel of the textured Spydie to a smooth handled Cryo. So the two knives feel very different in hand.

- 07/04/12 09:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Mumbojumboo;5751
I guess I sholuld have put a ? 'New paint =custom?' My wife wrecked the car and no we have a custom Town and country.

Now, This is customized

I hope the Wife and all involved in the MVA are doing well.
Little confusing about the "customized" Town and Country. Is it customized by the damage of an accident or is it a replacement vehicle for one damaged?

And I agree, that Mustang is "customized", "personalized" and quite possibly restored or "hot rodded". Whatever it may be, if it's rockin' some monster torque and some wild ponies it's a win. Is it yours? Want to share any more about it? Date on the photo is a few years old.
Posted by: aaaa_cccc

- 07/04/12 12:08 PM

My EDC is a Leatherman Charge TTI multi-tool. This thing really comes in handy, especially on fishing outings. It's got a 3" S30V blade which is a great slicer. Believe it or not it also feels pretty good in hand when using the knife. I carry it on my belt horizontally in the pouch that it came with. Also, for all the tools that it has in it, the weight is very minimal due to the use of titanium for its frame. At $100 from Amazon.com this thing is an awesome value.

- 07/04/12 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5754
I hope the Wife and all involved in the MVA are doing well.
Little confusing about the "customized" Town and Country. Is it customized by the damage of an accident or is it a replacement vehicle for one damaged?

And I agree, that Mustang is "customized", "personalized" and quite possibly restored or "hot rodded". Whatever it may be, if it's rockin' some monster torque and some wild ponies it's a win. Is it yours? Want to share any more about it? Date on the photo is a few years old.

Just kinda fooling ya. I don't think there is such a thing as a custom Town and Country not matter what is done do it. :p The stang is my first car. I bought it in 86 when I was 16. I never let it go. I went to the prom in that car and my oldest drove it in his home coming parade. That was cool!

- 07/04/12 05:05 PM

Quote:
That was cool!

No, that IS cool.
-carl

- 07/04/12 08:17 PM

You do have to love those old Stangs. Great little cars, but way too easy to get in trouble with.

- 07/04/12 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5746
Right on. Add me to the fun column, I can take some mild to slightly aggressive jabs without a whimper. As friendships grow so can the abuse.cool

Amen to that!
-carl

- 07/05/12 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Mumbojumboo;5766
Just kinda fooling ya. I don't think there is such a thing as a custom Town and Country not matter what is done do it. :p The stang is my first car. I bought it in 86 when I was 16. I never let it go. I went to the prom in that car and my oldest drove it in his home coming parade. That was cool!

I agree with Carl, that is cool.

- 07/05/12 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;5803
Amen to that!
-carl

And so it begins...cool...:D
Posted by: Invinoveritas1911

- 07/06/12 02:27 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122[/ATTACH]
My Kabar warthog II tanto, or CRKT M-16 tanto, is what I guess would be my edc folder. I almost always have a fixed blade on the neck or in pocket sheat(ie. Kabar Piggyback, or 311)
Posted by: vasara

- 07/06/12 03:06 PM

My favorite folders EKI Horseman, BM 940, and Hungarian traditional Kocsis Fejesgörbe

- 07/06/12 05:10 PM

I like that Hungarian knife! Gotta get me one!

- 07/06/12 06:24 PM

Really cares? smile

- 07/06/12 06:34 PM

Yeah! Kinda unique and looks elegant!

- 07/06/12 06:57 PM

Yes it is custom-made, but the traditional form.
I ask the maker, that can be ordered. wink

- 07/07/12 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: vasara;5858
My favorite folders EKI Horseman, BM 940, and Hungarian traditional Kocsis Fejesgörbe

Not poking fun or trying to be offensive, but none of these look like they have ever been used. Are these all photos from when they were brand new right out of the package?

What folder, if any do you EDC?

I like the wave on the Emerson, keep a Super Karambit on my person from time to time...but only when I choose to carry more than two knives at a time. Several of my buddies are CQC-7 faithful, and I understand. I'm not a huge liner lock fan, but not a total hater either.
Benchmade makes some great EDC-minded folders too. I keep a Benchmade Triage handy when I travel. Have others too, but I am only talking about users or carry knives.

- 07/07/12 05:35 PM

Here are the two that are always on me! (Manix is soon to be replaced with ZT0560 Hinderer i just ordered!)cool

- 07/07/12 10:50 PM

The 0560 will be a nice companion to the Solution. cool

- 07/08/12 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;5909
Not poking fun or trying to be offensive, but none of these look like they have ever been used. Are these all photos from when they were brand new right out of the package?

What folder, if any do you EDC?

I like the wave on the Emerson, keep a Super Karambit on my person from time to time...but only when I choose to carry more than two knives at a time. Several of my buddies are CQC-7 faithful, and I understand. I'm not a huge liner lock fan, but not a total hater either.
Benchmade makes some great EDC-minded folders too. I keep a Benchmade Triage handy when I travel. Have others too, but I am only talking about users or carry knives.

Yeah, well you see. Are little used,most eating, box opening.
I like to keep them clean and sharp, rather you see them. smile
The most "used" EDC, the green 940. However, I really like the Horseman.

If I go hiking or something to work to be a knife, I use a fixed blade.
But each day I can not carry a fixed blade.

If I could it would be with me every day.

- 07/08/12 04:27 AM

My most frequently used knife is also green, nice choice.

- 07/08/12 07:24 AM

Hinderer is very nice. but I really like the custom shop Solution. laugh

- 07/08/12 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: vasara;5981
Hinderer is very nice. but I really like the custom shop Solution. laugh

I like them all. Thank you for showing some like for them. I feel very fortunate to own all the knives in my horde.
Posted by: bobbystoney

- 07/09/12 01:02 AM

Usually carry my Lionsteel SR1A

sometimes I'll carry my Busse though

- 07/10/12 11:38 AM

Busse folder...got a pic of the other side of that one?

I know photoshop and custom pieces crafted my unofficial makers are what they are...any info you want to share on that one---I'm all ears.

Sure wish they would bring an official Busse folder.

- 07/10/12 05:25 PM

Ash1 handles with a game warden blade looks like. Very cool!

- 07/11/12 04:51 PM

What do your non-forum family and friends EDC?

My peeps are rocking Benchmade autos, Les George VECP, CQC-7, and things like that. I'm talking non-forum buddies. That makes it not too easy since most are not EDC knife types.

I put this here and not in it's own thread because it's more difficult to rember or photograph others knives than your own.

- 07/11/12 05:32 PM

All the guys I work with carry the Cheaper Bucks, Gerbers and Kershaw blades. Some of them even carry those Gas station Ninja knives!

- 07/11/12 06:43 PM

My New EDC knife on the Bottom!

- 07/11/12 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;6321
All the guys I work with carry the Cheaper Bucks, Gerbers and Kershaw blades. Some of them even carry those Gas station Ninja knives!

The Horror.

- 07/11/12 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;6324
My New EDC knife on the Bottom!

Nice!

You like it?

For me 0560---Feels light, nice and flippy, excellent blade shape, pretty large overall...all comes together for a great folder.

- 07/11/12 09:54 PM

How is it? Feel, ergos and performance? Thinking of getting one, but would need to pick it up during my Europe trip, here IF they show up they cost around $700 eek

- 07/11/12 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;6367
How is it? Feel, ergos and performance? Thinking of getting one, but would need to pick it up during my Europe trip, here IF they show up they cost around $700 eek

They are not worth 7 bills. But at the price point here in the USA, they are worth every penny.

Only things that stand out I mentioned in my above post. The size is a little on the large side, mostly handle length. The knife feels lighter than it looks.

- 07/11/12 10:01 PM

I can post it next to a other more common knife if you want to request a photo. Just list a couple common folders you own or know well and I can do a side by side.

- 07/11/12 10:15 PM

I love the feel of the ZT! It is a lot lighter than it looks but i like that about it. It is silky smooth to flip and the ergos are perfect! The edge on this sucker could split a frogs nad hair! I'm sure one of could get one for you cheaper than $700! You could darn near buy the Real deal Hinderer for that here!

- 07/11/12 10:30 PM

The problem is that importing flippers is illegal. There is one guy who has brought some in and sells them for $700, actually he started at 780 but then dropped the price.
I was thinking KnifeCenter delivered to my sister in Poland, but if one of you guys could help to get one and send to her, I'd be really happy.

- 07/11/12 10:32 PM

I wonder if we took it apart and one of sent you the blade and someone else sent you the rest.

- 07/11/12 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;6413
I wonder if we took it apart and one of sent you the blade and someone else sent you the rest.

Like in M.A.S.H. when Radar sent a Jeep home one piece at a time. I think it was Radar, I caught reruns of the program years ago.

- 07/11/12 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;6409
The problem is that importing flippers is illegal. There is one guy who has brought some in and sells them for $700, actually he started at 780 but then dropped the price.
I was thinking KnifeCenter delivered to my sister in Poland, but if one of you guys could help to get one and send to her, I'd be really happy.

It would cost us about 3 bills USD to get that done. This is a backside topic, me thinks.

- 07/11/12 10:41 PM

That's fine, I'll be in Poland in 2 months or so so I can pick it up.
I heard someone had balisongs mailed to him in pieces... wink They're illegal too...

- 07/11/12 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;6420
That's fine, I'll be in Poland in 2 months or so so I can pick it up.
I heard someone had balisongs mailed to him in pieces... wink They're illegal too...

Too many rules. I don't like all the BS rules we have to deal with, those are even more frustrating.

- 07/11/12 10:46 PM

If your sister can order it from the USA for you or you can order and ship to her I know where you can order one right now!

You can ship it to a person and address that is not the purchaser. I have done this and it has been done my way as well. Hit my e-mail in my contact or PM for a link.

- 07/11/12 10:47 PM

Don't know about international stuff though.

- 07/11/12 11:07 PM

I'm waiting to see the ganza offerings, that's a spending stopper for me! I'll look at folders afterwards.

- 07/11/12 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;6433
I'm waiting to see the ganza offerings, that's a spending stopper for me! I'll look at folders afterwards.

That's cool, but 0560s sell out wicked fast. Then it's weeks or months before they are available again.

- 07/11/12 11:39 PM

Will have to take my chances... frown

- 07/12/12 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;6436
Will have to take my chances... frown

Hope it works out or you. This ZT collaboration is worth owning. I have the 0550, 0560 and 0561, if I were not EDCing my XMs religiously, the ZTs would be a strong contender for my primary EDC folder.

- 07/12/12 06:37 PM

If I could get XM at primary price I'd buy it, but at 1K they are a bit above my budget for a folder...

- 07/12/12 08:09 PM

$1000 dollars would get me a couple of my Swamp Grails! I just checked a Ratweiler off the list so i guess the Desert Jack is next!

- 07/12/12 10:54 PM

Not to mention that I'd have to get XM in in one sneaky way or another... I'd go mad if some customs officer would end up with a 1K Hinderer that he decided he likes to keep for himself...

- 07/13/12 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;6535
Not to mention that I'd have to get XM in in one sneaky way or another... I'd go mad if some customs officer would end up with a 1K Hinderer that he decided he likes to keep for himself...

That is criminal and deserves a punishment befitting a thief.
Posted by: Cutshaw

- 07/14/12 06:57 PM

- 07/14/12 07:01 PM

Gotta love Photoshop! Killer folder Cutshaw!

- 07/14/12 07:03 PM

No pho[U][/U]toshop... just a very generous custom gift. smile

- 07/14/12 07:10 PM

I see! Very cool! SAR3 Blade?

- 07/14/12 07:11 PM

Yeah... Sar 3. It moved the Sebenza Classic out as the EDC.

- 07/14/12 07:14 PM

I apologize for the assumption. I am very jealous now!(Glad to have you back BTW!:))

- 07/14/12 07:33 PM

Apologize?! Oh, heck no. I was grinning as i typed "no photoshop!" If it was photoshopped, Marisa Tomei would have been holding it! Lol

- 07/14/12 09:11 PM

Nice!
-carl

- 07/14/12 10:47 PM

At least somebody around here has good taste!

- 07/14/12 10:56 PM

Those suckers cut through my monitor glass!:p I love her!

- 07/15/12 12:40 AM

Custom Busse folders and Marisa burnt bra nip thru white shirt pic...this thread is getting interesting.

- 07/15/12 12:35 PM

Just like how I bowl... in the gutter. wink

- 07/15/12 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Cutshaw;6701
Just like how I bowl... in the gutter. wink

They make gutter bumpers for those pesky bowling alley gutters, there is no remedy for the male mind. And that's fine too.

- 07/16/12 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Cutshaw;6648

How did I miss that one. eek

- 07/16/12 06:29 AM

Awesome knife, Cutshaw. Did I see pics of that in the Busse forum at BF last year ? It is one of only 2 custom Busse folders I have seen......very nice ! Thanks for sharing. wink

- 07/16/12 08:44 PM

That thing is shweeet!

- 07/16/12 09:43 PM

No body missed the folder, it's a custom.
Posted by: rlacan71

- 07/23/12 02:29 AM

I had a Rat Trap that was destined to be only a safe queen. I decided to sell it with the funds going towards the lightly used Gen 1 Ratweiler I have coming to me in the next 2 weeks. I made a thread on Bladeforums about looking for a Hard use EDC here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/970303-In-need-of-a-Tough-EDC

There were a whole lot of great suggestions. One among the many that I will be checking out in the near future is Grayman. In the end though I decided on this:

[color:"#0000FF"] ZT0560 [/color]

- 07/24/12 08:07 PM

Great choice! I love mine and I am about to get the 0561.

- 07/25/12 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;7299
Great choice! I love mine and I am about to get the 0561.

Is a great choice. As for getting both, I did. But in hindsight, the only difference is the scale color and model number on the blade and box decal. So, imagine the number of replacement scales I could have purchased instead to change the looks of the 0560, just sayin'.

Posted by: y0ukn0wwh0

- 08/03/12 03:12 AM

Whatever strikes my fancy that particular day!
Strider, ZT, Spyderco, Jim Baker, HTM, Benchmade.... To name a few.... I'm saving for my Hinderer 3" or 3.5" XM-18

- 08/03/12 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: y0ukn0wwh0;7867
Whatever strikes my fancy that particular day!
Strider, ZT, Spyderco, Jim Baker, HTM, Benchmade.... To name a few.... I'm saving for my Hinderer 3" or 3.5" XM-18

I had a slow rotation till I got my first XM, now no more rotation.

- 08/03/12 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;7341
Is a great choice. As for getting both, I did. But in hindsight, the only difference is the scale color and model number on the blade and box decal. So, imagine the number of replacement scales I could have purchased instead to change the looks of the 0560, just sayin'.

Shoot me heads up if you happen to see a flamed hinderer bead in your hinderer hideouts. They are hard to find! You have some killer folders in this pic! As far as getting the 0561 I think I will just wait and hope they come out with a matching Ti scale for my 0560

- 08/03/12 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rlacan71;7228

I love that one. cool

- 08/03/12 11:37 PM

So.....
How does that liner lock work for a leftie?
I have avoided them after having one unlock in hard use (trying to cut myself out of a stirrup after being thrown).
-carl

- 08/03/12 11:48 PM

The 0560 0561 are frame lock if you are asking about those.

- 08/03/12 11:51 PM

With frame locks, I find that your fingers (when gripping the open knife) prevent the lock bar from moving outward. If anything, you press inward as you tighten your grip. I don't know of any ZT lefties and have never seen a Hinderer leftie (don't exist), but CRK does have leftie Sebenzas and such.

- 08/03/12 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;7925
Shoot me heads up if you happen to see a flamed hinderer bead in your hinderer hideouts. They are hard to find! You have some killer folders in this pic! As far as getting the 0561 I think I will just wait and hope they come out with a matching Ti scale for my 0560

Will certainly do. I'm also headed to Vegas soon and will catch the USN gathering so I'll look for some there too.

Thanks for complimenting these folders.

And it is rumored from the Ranch that 0560/0561 scales will some day be officially released like they did/do for the 0550 / 0551. Full Ti may be an option. Less likely than G10 and Carbon, but not entirely out of the question.

- 08/04/12 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;7940
The 0560 0561 are frame lock if you are asking about those.

Yeah, I mistyped. The problem I had was with a framelock- less a grip problem than a twist-while-cutting problem. That horse was giving me a thrashing, and I was lucky to do much of anything. However, I was left with a lasting impression...
-carl

- 08/05/12 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;7938
So.....
How does that liner lock work for a leftie?
I have avoided them after having one unlock in hard use (trying to cut myself out of a stirrup after being thrown).
-carl

Carl, it would only be uncomfortable to close it with left hand, has thumb studs on both sides and the flipper will work with either hand. I can close all my linerlocks with my left hand without problem, so as a leftie it should be even easier for you. And as N2K said some makers make left handed folders.

- 08/05/12 06:42 AM

I gave in. I found a local retailer with nearly no mark up. The ZT 550 is stuck in my right hand..... wink

- 08/05/12 07:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Magoo;8005
I gave in. I found a local retailer with nearly no mark up. The ZT 550 is stuck in my right hand..... wink

Is that where we bought the Lion Steel's ?

- 08/05/12 08:26 AM

Naah......, it is a forum I used to post in and am still a member. The prorietor has now set up un online shop to make it easier. The ZT was just over half what the guy with the Lion Steels wanted. Close to US price.....same as some. Sweet ! wink
Glad I checked in there recently ! wink

And anyone can buy there now but I got all the good stuff....it is mostly sold out !

The guy with the Lion Steels is sending me my Spydie Techno.......

- 08/05/12 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;7988
Yeah, I mistyped. The problem I had was with a framelock- less a grip problem than a twist-while-cutting problem. That horse was giving me a thrashing, and I was lucky to do much of anything. However, I was left with a lasting impression...
-carl

A higher quality and beefy tool should not flex in a manner that would cause lock failure. If under stress, (if the blade was not fully deployed disallowing the lock bar to seat properly) the I could see it slipping.

Thinner frame locks of questionable quality could have issues as well.
I went thru a lot of knives till I settled on my current primary EDC. It is a very personal thing with so vary many variables. I could write a multi-page dissertation on why I carry a Hinderer XM 18 3.5 Spanto Flipper, but in the end it still may not apply to "your" knife wants/ needs the same way it applies to mine.

You have lived thru some challenging situations and I thank you for sharing some of the stories with us. Glad you are still with us after some of these rough and tumble moments.

Now, if it were me...while on horseback, I would seriously consider a small fixed blade carried horizontally at center of body (likely along the belt, but in a manner that does not impede mobility and comfort). I'd set it up to be accessed by either hand. If something goes astray, it's rapidly deployable and no need to open it or risk potential lock failures.

I'd avoid a necker that could get caught on things and choke you causing more harm than help.

Also, a small double edged boot dagger may come in handy too.

- 08/05/12 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;8016

Thinner frame locks of questionable quality could have issues as well.

Actually I don't fully trust any folder in an emergency. I had a Puma lock back let go onto my fingers in the cattle yards one time. Admittedly it had a build up of blood, hair and grit that caused the failure.

- 08/05/12 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;8032
Actually I don't fully trust any folder in an emergency. I had a Puma lock back let go onto my fingers in the cattle yards one time. Admittedly it had a build up of blood, hair and grit that caused the failure.

Kind of depends on the emergency as well as the gear on hand.

If I'm doing "X", I'll bring along gear most likely needed for "X" as well as consider if something goes wrong while conducting "X"...I'll attempt to gear up for that as well.

If I'm out on any given day and an unexpected "emergency" requiring a knife comes into play, folders are certainly with me and only small fixed blades. I'd have to retrieve items from my vehicle, pack, "go bag" or "murse" to equip a larger fixed blade.

- 08/05/12 08:35 PM

Picked up a BN 707 a few days ago and it's a perfect light duty folder for EDC. laugh
Posted by: calemerson

- 08/05/12 11:39 PM

Lately its been a MT Whaleshark, or Spyderco Native 5 with a convex edge, along with a stag Schatt Morgan rail splitter. The rail splitter seems to get the most use while I am at work.

Thanks

Calemerson

- 08/06/12 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;8032
Actually I don't fully trust any folder in an emergency.

I guess emergency was the wrong terminology. I was purely using it as a tool. A folder is easier to handle in cattle yards. After doing a run of marking up the race, you fold it and slip it back into your pocket.

We were starting about 6.00 am and working all day marking and branding, doing as many as 900 to a thousand bull calves. You get filthy, your knife gets filthy and as you get tired yo tend to take less care.

The last thing I expected was for the folder to let go and come back onto my fingers. I have a new respect for them now.
A small fixed blade would never fail in that way, but any knife accident is possible under those conditions, fixed blade or folder.

After that I went on to using a small fixed blade, I also tried surgical blades for a while, they are fine if the working conditions were perfect. laugh

Anyway, it's just a thing I have about folders now, if I'm putting any force onto one I remember the one that bit me.

- 08/06/12 02:37 AM

For the tasks as you described and the conditions mentioned, I would use a fixed blade as primary with a folder in my pocket.

I have, when doing things, needed a second blade.

Your primary falls, is in need of a wipe down but nothing clean nearby to wipe with, you lend it to a buddy for a moment, and so on.
And as luck would have it, I'd need that knife but it's incumbered or out of reach. That's when the folder would come out to cover for the fixed. And if by some brainfart type event I leave the fixed blade at home or away from where I'd be using it, at least a folder can get me started.

Now for EDC a folder takes primary. But my day is not on a ranch or farm.

This all falls back on my earlier post. I equip with the "proper" gear for the tasks as best I can.

The knife that closed on you was not a frame-lock. These actually allow you to squeeze the lockbar onto the back of the blade and help prevent unwanted closures (while the knife is in your hand during use).
A liner lock or internal locking system does not give you this feature. The open-back design of a Hinderer XM (for example) lets debris and materials pass thru the body of the knife to help prevent gumming the lock with junk.

- 08/06/12 05:43 AM

Calemerson....welcome to the Swamp ! wink

- 08/06/12 05:59 PM

Welcome from me 2!
Posted by: calemerson

- 08/10/12 11:22 PM

Thank You

Calemerson

- 08/11/12 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;8073
The knife that closed on you was not a frame-lock. These actually allow you to squeeze the lockbar onto the back of the blade and help prevent unwanted closures (while the knife is in your hand during use).
A liner lock or internal locking system does not give you this feature. The open-back design of a Hinderer XM (for example) lets debris and materials pass thru the body of the knife to help prevent gumming the lock with junk.

I know what Ian is talking about, I had a build up of lint in the space between blade stop (at the bottom) and the scales (on the sides), with blade acting as a stopper for that, you get a small ball of fluff that will stop the lock from engaging properly. Linerlocks and framelocks might actually lock with that, but with a backlock the blade will just not lock in place... luckily never got cut because of that...
Posted by: Not2sharp

- 08/11/12 10:17 AM

my work EDC
Posted by: VANCE

- 08/11/12 09:58 PM

northfield white owl

- 08/11/12 10:36 PM

Quote:

Try that while flopping around with one leg strapped to 1500 lbs of pi$$ed off horse, broken ribs, dislocated ankle and a slight concussion, UPSIDE DOWN. laugh I now EDC a small fixed blade (The Warden)
-carl
Posted by: Gundog JYD#138

- 08/12/12 12:20 AM

SOG trident or crkt m16 and always a leatherman wave with the others

- 08/12/12 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;8405
Try that while flopping around with one leg strapped to 1500 lbs of pi$$ed off horse, broken ribs, dislocated ankle and a slight concussion, UPSIDE DOWN. laugh I now EDC a small fixed blade (The Warden)
-carl

That's the correct knife for that adventure. You pulled only a bit of my words to quote. My first sentence or two said a fixed blade would be my primary for the Ranch. Applies while on ponies too.
And you can squeeze the lock bar on a framelock to firmly engage the blade while under stress. You simply grip, very firmly.

- 08/12/12 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;8366
I know what Ian is talking about, I had a build up of lint in the space between blade stop (at the bottom) and the scales (on the sides), with blade acting as a stopper for that, you get a small ball of fluff that will stop the lock from engaging properly. Linerlocks and framelocks might actually lock with that, but with a backlock the blade will just not lock in place... luckily never got cut because of that...

I have not owned a knife with that style lock since I was a child. Not my style.

- 08/12/12 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Not2sharp;8368
my work EDC

confused Folder???

- 08/12/12 05:44 AM

I took another shot at stonewashing. The victim is BM 707.
Before:

After:

Will have to wait for daylight for the re-assembled pictures, with my lights pics suck.

- 08/12/12 05:49 AM

Man ! Awesome stuff, mate ! Looks like I will have to quiz you when we next meet...wow. wink

- 08/12/12 06:32 AM

After I'm back from holidays I'll be getting the abrasive media meant for this kind of thing... At the moment I use some flat pebbles I collected on a beach...

- 08/12/12 06:33 AM

Magoo, did you get the Techno yet?

- 08/12/12 07:16 AM

Roger that....my first blade with a blade made out of CTS-XHP. Pics may take a day or two.... wink

- 08/12/12 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;8412
That's the correct knife for that adventure. You pulled only a bit of my words to quote. My first sentence or two said a fixed blade would be my primary for the Ranch. Applies while on ponies too.
And you can squeeze the lock bar on a framelock to firmly engage the blade while under stress. You simply grip, very firmly.

Yes, I get it. I actually do understand framelocks ...and lockbacks ...and axis locks ...and linerlocks. I have handled all ad nauseum. My point was that I was lucky enough to have gotten my hands on ANY knife. As it happened, the only one available was a trusted frame lock ...and while I had a death-grip on that handle, I had to both cut and twist. Therein came the failure: the twist required released the lock (my only possible explanation) and that added to my problems a bit.

I did not intend to mis-quote you. I was trying to get the relevent info at hand to make a response. So! While there is a 99.9999 percent chance that will never happen again, I will avoid frame-lock style knives. I currently carry 2 axis-locks- but before pressing them into duty I tried to make each fail by every method I know- without success ...but I still carry 2 fixed blades as well.

Thanks for your interest.
-carl
Posted by: Rgoziner

- 08/12/12 08:11 PM

If I'm in a permissible location I carry a Spyderco Delica with the Emerson wave clipped to my pocket. If I'm in a non-permissable location I carry a benchmade mini-grip in the pocket.

- 08/12/12 08:12 PM

Welcome friend!

- 08/12/12 08:12 PM

But I'm in the market to try and get a swamp warden to wear as a neck knife everywhere.

- 08/12/12 08:13 PM

Thanks! I figured I might swing by here and see whats going on since I've got such a blade crush on my Ratmandu.

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;8463
Welcome friend!

- 08/12/12 08:15 PM

You couldn't have picked a better knife to have a crush on!

- 08/12/12 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Rgoziner;8464
But I'm in the market to try and get a swamp warden to wear as a neck knife everywhere.

Just remember that a necker can be a killer. I recommend beaded necklaces that break away if you decide to neck carry. 550 is handy, as can be leather, ect., but if it gets snagged or pulled, you could be in serious hurt in short order.

Welcome to the Swamp.

- 08/13/12 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;8423
I took another shot at stonewashing. The victim is BM 707.
Before:

After:

Will have to wait for daylight for the re-assembled pictures, with my lights pics suck.

I like it. Did you put it all in a plastic container and toss it in the dryer on low? Or put in a tumbler?

- 08/13/12 08:46 AM

Dryer, about 2 hours of turning on cold. Recently found out that there are abrasive medias so will have to get some and try those some time in the future. laugh

- 08/13/12 09:28 AM

Here are all 4 that I have stonewashed

Sorry about bad pic, I hardly ever see daylight during the week...:(

- 08/13/12 06:47 PM

Quote:
Elof_alv said: I took another shot at stonewashing. The victim is BM 707.

Got one of those when they were first released. I love that folder and have re-built it twice (even though company policy says I got to send it in, I did not have to do that).
The springs broke from too much time in a hind pocket between a saddle and a backside (read: rust). Why sonewash?
-carl
Posted by: SwampRat66

- 08/13/12 07:33 PM

My primary is a Spyderco Tenacious because of the FFG blade it works best for me on the job. I rotate between that a BM Rift, Hogue EX-01 and my ZT 350 mostly. I have a Manix 2 that I like but it doesn't see much pocket time with the others.....

- 08/13/12 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;8503
Why sonewash? -carl

Carl, Just don't really like shiny. laugh
Especially on folders, if the clip is such that part of the blade sticks out above the pocket, the shiny bit of blade attracts attention. Stonewashed finish makes it more subtle.

- 08/13/12 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;8510
Carl, Just don't really like shiny. laugh
Especially on folders, if the clip is such that part of the blade sticks out above the pocket, the shiny bit of blade attracts attention. Stonewashed finish makes it more subtle.

I see. I don't like it either. Ever try cold-bluing?
-carl

- 08/13/12 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;8546
I see. I don't like it either. Ever try cold-bluing?
-carl

Nope, but that in the plans as well...
Posted by: meluck

- 08/27/12 12:50 AM

para

- 08/27/12 05:54 AM

Nice pic meluck. I get tempted by those from time to time......the Spydie Sage 2 and tbe Spydie Techno is enough Spydies for me...love the Techno. Must get some pics up..

- 08/27/12 12:05 PM

Today, Eki cqc-8

- 08/27/12 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Magoo;8873
Nice pic meluck. I get tempted by those from time to time......the Spydie Sage 2 and tbe Spydie Techno is enough Spydies for me...love the Techno. Must get some pics up..

Those are on my next 2/3 purchases. Also want to try out the cryo.
Posted by: lazi

- 08/29/12 09:48 PM

kershaw blur in s60v... takes a nice edge and hold up nicely to edc use.

- 08/30/12 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: lazi;9046
kershaw blur in s60v... takes a nice edge and hold up nicely to edc use.

and slices to the bone with great ease too...
Posted by: mic214

- 09/05/12 11:25 AM

You guys are packing some beautiful blades! My EDC folder is a plain jane Benchmade 710. I also pack a Leatherman Micra and a Mini-Mag Solitaire flashlight:

- 09/05/12 01:09 PM

Got with me on the trip my stonewashed BM 707. Must say it is a great folder for EDC
Posted by: Mountain Rat

- 09/14/12 06:41 PM

Mine is an old EDI "Genesis II"

Kept going back to it due to its

being thin, very light for its size

and still being very tight in the

blade play both side-to-side and

vertically. Balance in hand is really

quite good for changing hand position.

- 09/14/12 07:14 PM

I would like to see pics of this blade you speak of, sir!

- 09/17/12 04:29 PM

My newest addition! Thanks to IF's help I got it at US retail price! Thank you Sir!

- 09/17/12 05:11 PM

Yeah!!!!

Glad you got that one!

btw..."IF" is awesome!

- 09/17/12 05:24 PM

He sure is a top bloke!

- 10/17/12 03:34 PM

Ok, back to the top with this thread.

I need a new folder. I'd like to keep it under $150. And I need to get it quickly (like by this weekend), so nothing that has a huge wait time. So, what says the Swamp? Any suggestions? I'm more of a fixed blade guy, so I don't have a "good" folder that will take a bit of abuse.

- 10/17/12 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;11377
Ok, back to the top with this thread.

I need a new folder. I'd like to keep it under $150. And I need to get it quickly (like by this weekend), so nothing that has a huge wait time. So, what says the Swamp? Any suggestions? I'm more of a fixed blade guy, so I don't have a "good" folder that will take a bit of abuse.

Seemingly innocent and simple question to answer, but in reality...I have trouble giving a good recommendation of any one knife at that price point.

I can say that I own a few Spydercos and Benchmades in that price range that I feel are good knives.

What type of lock do you prefer on the folder, what blade length, approximate overall size, etc. are you seeking?
And most importantly...what do you not want in a folder. For example, if a liner lock or a plastic handle are trunoffs, that will help refine the suggestions. Oh, and what color scheme? So many options.

- 10/17/12 05:18 PM

Just like N2K said, narrow the parameters a bit...

There is quite a bit love/hate thing going for them, but HEST 2.0 seems to be 'able' folder, D2 blade and Ti frame lock, comes in a lefty version too and you should be able to get it around that price point.

- 10/17/12 07:51 PM

I'd like it to be able to take some abuse. I'm not expecting the world at that price point, but I don't want a piece of junk either.

For length, say 3-3.5". I tend to go bigger rather than smaller. I have big hands and small knives just don't feel good to me.

No serrations on the blade. I've had a few like that and they don't do anything for me.

I don't want a plastic handle on this.

As far as color goes, I don't really care. Black is good...pink is not good.

I might go as high as $200 for this, but that's about it.

Good steel is a plus. I like a knife that will take and hold an edge. (don't we all)

I'm generally not in a high humidity area, nor near salt water, so having a stainless blade is not critical.

Hopefully this additional information helps some. Thanks guys.

- 10/17/12 08:06 PM

How do you feel about a ZT 0550?

- 10/17/12 08:22 PM

I had looked at that one. What's your thoughts on it?
Posted by: PatrickKnight

- 10/17/12 08:29 PM

Im not a folder guy as my choices are my trusty Buck 110 and my Buck Vantage Pro but that 550 looks like such a bang for the buck its unreal, most of all if you can snag one of the ELMAX versions. Being a production knife im sure there is no way its built to the tollerances of a XM-18 but from my eyes it sure looks like Mr. Hinderer put a lot of hard work and thought into its design.

I do recommend the Buck Vantage Pro though. Its a solid design with a lifetime warranty Paul Bos heat treated S30V (which I think is often over looked as an outdated steel given all the other running around now days but it still holds its own for my uses.)

- 10/17/12 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;11392
I had looked at that one. What's your thoughts on it?

I like mine.

Some complain about this or that, but I am a knife guy. I understand things others complain about to be influenced by operator error. Big example is some say the blade is difficult to deploy.

Well, if you push on it maybe, but I place my thumbnail on the stud and flick the knife open with no worries ever.

The factory scale in my opinion is fugly, so I spent a bit more for the Hinderer texture.

I've got photos...wait...
It's the orange one.

It's worth 2 bills. Beefy and mine has no negatives to mention.

- 10/17/12 10:34 PM

I did also look at the 0560, but it's a bit more than I want to spend right now. I like that style flipper better though.

- 10/17/12 11:11 PM

Well, the price goes up with that option. I'm still trying to think of 150-200 knives that will serve you well.

I own a DDR Gunhammer that's in the ballpark. And if it might not be exactly right for you...
there is a neat thing about them...the authorized foreign manufactured pieces are only about 40-45 USD. on popular knife selling Web sites. So, for less than $50 you'd know if you like them.

- 10/17/12 11:32 PM

Don't know if it's a knife you might consider, but here's a few photos.

- 10/17/12 11:33 PM

- 10/17/12 11:33 PM

- 10/17/12 11:34 PM

I'm still packing the same blade as Mic214:

Have been for over 10 years, no regrets.
I really like the axis lock and the steel ain't all that bad for a folder....
-carl

- 10/18/12 05:47 AM

DB, Kershawguy from BF has some of the limited version of ZT 0550 with black blade here: http://www.kershawguy.com/products-page/...lockbar-cutout/
It's $225.
Kershaw has the 'Blem' policy... And this guy has some of them too, you pay a lot less $$$ for cosmetic problems, ways back I got a S60V Blur for $60... it had uneven grind on the lock side... cuts to the bone, trust me I know...

- 10/18/12 11:41 AM

If you don't mind liner locks, Emerson has several models in the 2 bill range.

I love the Emerson wave deployment feature.

And the one time I needed some warranty work (on a minor issue) they took excellent care of me and completely replaced a little fixed blade surprisingly proptly.

- 10/18/12 12:56 PM

Well, I'm going to a show tomorrow and have some great local knife dealers I've been talking with to meet up and look at some options.

And on a related note, Busse will be at this show, so maybe I can see a few leftovers from Knob Creek. Come on Mini Mojo!!

Thanks for the advice guys. This is exactly what the Swamp is for!

- 10/21/12 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;11419
Well, I'm going to a show tomorrow and have some great local knife dealers I've been talking with to meet up and look at some options.

And on a related note, Busse will be at this show, so maybe I can see a few leftovers from Knob Creek. Come on Mini Mojo!!

Thanks for the advice guys. This is exactly what the Swamp is for!

Results from the show?

- 10/21/12 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;11500
Results from the show?

What, US anxious????? :rolleyes:
-carl

- 10/21/12 03:39 PM

Well, I went the cheap route for this one. Spyderco Manix. It's not hard use by any means, but it was the size I wanted, and I won't feel too bad if it gets lost. Sharp bugger though. It got me good already!

- 10/21/12 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;11505
What, US anxious????? :rolleyes:
-carl

I know you're not rolling eyes @ me! laugh

Since I'm not begging anymore I need something to post about. And yes, I was/am folder curious....it's why I started this thread in the first place.

- 10/21/12 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;11506
Well, I went the cheap route for this one. Spyderco Manix. It's not hard use by any means, but it was the size I wanted, and I won't feel too bad if it gets lost. Sharp bugger though. It got me good already!

Cool. Which variant? I have 2 examples in my earlier photo(s).

Not cool on the bite.

- 10/21/12 04:11 PM

It's a Manix 2. Black G10 on silver. Just like the one in your pic.

The bite could have been worse. It cut sideways instead of straight down. Still got it pretty deep though. But, that's what super glue is for. cool

- 10/22/12 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;11509
It's a Manix 2. Black G10 on silver. Just like the one in your pic.

The bite could have been worse. It cut sideways instead of straight down. Still got it pretty deep though. But, that's what super glue is for. cool

They are great EDCs, especially in the FFG.

But as you stated, it's not the most "hard use" knife on the market. Mostly due to the blade. It's got a big hole in it and I have broken the tip off most every Spyderco I EDCed in the past.

That said, they come wicked sharp and feel good in the hand. I fling mine open and it locks up great with never any play.

Glad superglue fixed you up. I hate those bites that require a stitch or two. So easy to get, such a pain to repair.

- 10/22/12 02:55 PM

Also, you can grind it to have a wave open. Or ghetto wave it with zip ties.

- 10/23/12 01:26 AM

rockin that

mumbp dumpo 10_17_12 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

and this..

mumbo scrap7 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

- 10/23/12 01:40 AM

MJ, your second folder appears to be broken, it doesn't fold!
Is that a GEC?

- 10/23/12 02:49 AM

nifebrite

GEC.

The other can't be broken.

mumbo GEC bullnose nifebrite_edcf spyderco moonglow manix_zebralight h502 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

mumbo GEC bullnose nifebrite_edcf spyderco moonglow manix_zebralight h502_2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

- 10/23/12 04:53 AM

Got the black GEC Bullnose and orange on the way. laugh
Was yours customized?

- 10/23/12 08:52 AM

My EDCs as of today, with no real reason to change.

Often carry a pair, but on occasion carry all 3. (right, Josh? :D)

- 10/23/12 10:49 AM

You said you were going to loan me the one of the left didn't you?

Nice set there!

- 10/23/12 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;11579
You said you were going to loan me the one of the left didn't you?

Nice set there!

Thanks, these are my users.

Since that 24 is my favorite folder I cannot loan it. But I completely understand why you or anyone would like to borrow it. It certainly lives up to the "hype". Matter of fact, when I flip it over...so many have given me hate as much as compliment.

Let me dig out a photo of the non-locking side. I don't remember if I posted a photo of that 24 in the Swamp before.

- 10/23/12 01:51 PM

- 10/23/12 01:52 PM

- 10/23/12 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;11575
Got the black GEC Bullnose and orange on the way. laugh
Was yours customized?

nope....nifebrite. I bet they sold fast

- 10/25/12 11:00 AM

Perhaps it's time for a Rat Trap 2.0?

Something without a liner lock, would be cool.
Posted by: amdmaxx

- 10/25/12 12:00 PM

zero tolerance 0560

- 10/26/12 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: amdmaxx;11644
zero tolerance 0560

They are popular for good reason. Bigger knife, but nice. I really like mine.
I'm hoping they do a slightly smaller collaboration flipper, but who knows?

- 10/26/12 09:08 AM

Awesome pics N2K. Thanks for sharing them. wink

- 10/26/12 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Magoo;11686
Awesome pics N2K. Thanks for sharing them. wink

Thanks.

I like photos in the forums.

Now I just need something Swampy and incessantly begged for to become a reality so I have more topical photos for RatChat.

- 11/04/12 11:03 PM

I can't remeber If I posted this one or not?

Emmerson Persian

mumbo bang an poke by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

- 11/05/12 11:40 AM

Emerson's wave feature and blade shapes are the two things I like most about his knives.

The wave deployment is super simple and very handy when fumbling with holes, discs and studs is a bother. It also does not require you to learn a special / complicated technique or go thru a "process" to rapidly deploy the blade. Catch it on your pocket as you deploy the knife and it's open as soon as its free from the pocket.cool

If my Super Karambit were a frame-lock instead of a liner lock, I'd like it even more.

- 11/05/12 06:12 PM

I picked up the Micro Commander last week.
Like the blade and size, unfortunately hat to take it apart because the liner was only engaging a fraction, and sending it back from here to have it corrected is a no-go, might get confiscated on the way back...
A few moments with coarse diamond sharpener and it works fine now.
Took some sandpaper to it to adjust the scales, they were not lining up with liners, and took off some of the bite they had... way too coarse to carry in a pocket.
And while I was at it I stonewashed the liners to make them less shiny.

Sorry no pics at the moment, will take some later and post them here.

- 11/05/12 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;11990
I picked up the Micro Commander last week.
Like the blade and size, unfortunately hat to take it apart because the liner was only engaging a fraction, and sending it back from here to have it corrected is a no-go, might get confiscated on the way back...
A few moments with coarse diamond sharpener and it works fine now.
Took some sandpaper to it to adjust the scales, they were not lining up with liners, and took off some of the bite they had... way too coarse to carry in a pocket.
And while I was at it I stonewashed the liners to make them less shiny.

Sorry no pics at the moment, will take some later and post them here.

It is not uncommon to have "issues" with an Emerson. I choose the ones I own carefully, but that's not always realistic for everyone. Since so many of us buy knives before ever holding them.

- 11/05/12 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;11991
It is not uncommon to have "issues" with an Emerson. I choose the ones I own carefully, but that's not always realistic for everyone. Since so many of us buy knives before ever holding them.

N2K, it's hard to hold knives if there are no real knife shops around. The only treat is somebody else's knives and they didn't have those particular knives.
I knew there are F&F issues with Emersons, picked up Mini A-100 a few months ago and the whole thing is slightly off, in that case liner worked properly, but still cuts and doesn't close on me...
At the moment, to my knowledge, there are just 2 guys in Oz importing 'tactical' folders which from December require a permit to import.

- 11/05/12 10:56 PM

That's what I meant. Some of these knives are so difficult to track down that it's a "buy first, decide if I like it later" type situation.

Many of my buddies own and have carried CQC-7s. I carry the Super with some regularity, but only as a third blade. It's not practical for a primary EDC for my needs.

Ernie is a good guy, I've met him. And many of the knives are fine, just a few occasionally have "issues" of varing degree. I'm not a big liner lock fan, so I don't own a lot of Emerson folders. I do have a pair of small fixed blades and a trio of the autos Emerson and ProTech collaborated to make.

- 11/05/12 11:09 PM

The Red ano. aluminum looks a tad pink in the photo, but..whatever...

- 11/05/12 11:12 PM

I considered buying the little A-100 as a checked luggage companion. It's small blade length made it friendly to areas I may find myself while traveling. But I went with a trio of other small knives, creating options for that role (that do not include the A-100).

- 11/06/12 02:07 AM

I went after Mini A-100 and Micro Commander because of the size, 3" blade is just right for edc, in the city anyway.

- 11/10/12 04:13 PM

Ok N2K I could use some of your advice. I am in the market for a high end folder and think I have it down to a 550 or a 560. I am not at a place where I can handle them before purchase which sucks but it is what it is. Mainly im curious about ELMAX vs S35VN and how they both feel in the hand. I am also open to other knife suggestions but I want it to be a pretty hard use tool which rules out the other I was considering the Sypderco PM2 I can see myself breaking that tip pretty darn soon after I get it.

I really wish I could afford a real Hinderer or even a Strider SNG but the funds just arent there right now for one of those.

- 11/10/12 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;12168
Ok N2K I could use some of your advice. I am in the market for a high end folder and think I have it down to a 550 or a 560. I am not at a place where I can handle them before purchase which sucks but it is what it is. Mainly im curious about ELMAX vs S35VN and how they both feel in the hand. I am also open to other knife suggestions but I want it to be a pretty hard use tool which rules out the other I was considering the Sypderco PM2 I can see myself breaking that tip pretty darn soon after I get it.

I really wish I could afford a real Hinderer or even a Strider SNG but the funds just arent there right now for one of those.

If you want a large flipper, 560 is a great choice. It has far more love than hate of the two ZTs you mentioned. I too snap tips off of my Spydies. And springs eventualy fail on my autos. Now I EDC big beefy knives; mostly of overbuilt and simple / smart design.

Want a Strider or Hinderer???, it not too far out of reach. Look at it this way. A $20 bill set aside each week adds up to $1,000 after 50 weeks.

All the powdered "super" steels serve my needs. I touch up my EDCs every few days on a sharpening steel that lives in the kitchen.
I occasionally resharpen my knives on the Wicked, but only after they come in contact with concrete or some metals, etc. Either Elmax or the S35VN (S30V), and others like CTS-XHP were chosen by reputable knife makers for more than just marketing hype.

- 11/10/12 04:28 PM

If you need in hand photos I can do them. I might have some free time for that this evening. Just let me know.

- 11/10/12 05:26 PM

That would be awesome if you wouldnt mind.

And your right I could save to get a Strider but what good would it do me when my wife chops my arm off. I can convience her 400 bucks on a fixed blade is ok because she sees its usefullness but I have tryed to show her how a Strider would be usefull but it hasnt set in yet.

Of the two ZTs which do you personally think is more comfortable in the hand?

- 11/10/12 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;12174
That would be awesome if you wouldnt mind.

And your right I could save to get a Strider but what good would it do me when my wife chops my arm off. I can convience her 400 bucks on a fixed blade is ok because she sees its usefullness but I have tryed to show her how a Strider would be usefull but it hasnt set in yet.

Of the two ZTs which do you personally think is more comfortable in the hand?

Save the 20 every week for a year. Then for Christmas time 2013 you get a Strider and she gets one of the following: new jewelry, a bag, nice shoes, a spa day, a romantic night of hotel suite luxury and fine dining...you get the idea.

As for comfort. They both fit the hand nicely. They have good weight and balance. The 0560 is lighter than it looks.

Honestly, I'd like to see a ZT the size of the 0550 but with the flipper of the 0560/0561. Really a smaller 0560 would be an awesome EDC folder for many people.

I took some poor quality photos. They are now in my bucket. I'll post them in 3s below, I think only about 3 images fit in each post.

- 11/10/12 06:04 PM

- 11/10/12 06:06 PM

Usually large MechX fit fine, these are well worn and recently washed.

- 11/10/12 06:06 PM

- 11/10/12 06:07 PM

- 11/10/12 06:08 PM

- 11/10/12 06:10 PM

- 11/10/12 06:11 PM

- 11/10/12 06:12 PM

- 11/10/12 06:14 PM

Lighting was terrible. But these hopefully give a good idea of in-hand scale of one to the other.

- 11/10/12 06:44 PM

Yea they do thank you very much. Which would you say would be a tougher knife. Reason I ask is I have been "asked" to stop carrying a fixed blade at work so now I need to try to find a folder that can take what I dish out on my ESEE 3. As I said I would much prefer a Strider but that just isnt in the budget right now and I have heard these knives are pretty darn tough. Question is which one would be as close to as tough as a Strider SnG.

- 11/10/12 06:56 PM

As to which compliments a SNG, it's obviously the 0550 because it has no flipper and is opened with a thumb. Overall size is similar too.

But, for me...I'm flipper biased. So, if I had to choose one over the other I'd give a slight edge too the 0560. If the 0550 had a flipper...this would be very difficult to decide.

If the bosses want you to get rid of the fixed blade, and you want a knife that opens more like and is sized more like the SNG...0550 is the one.

You are aware that mine is an early version, there is an updated version and recently a limited run with black DLC blades?

I'm pretty sure "Kershawguy" over on BF mentioned he's got them for sale. I don't know the guy, have never purchased anything from him, but I haven't heard anything negative.

- 11/10/12 07:08 PM

I checked for the DLC bladed ones but it seems like most of those are gone already. I did however find out they made the Gen-2 which has the 560 deep carry clip with I like and they redid a little pieces on the frame lock that allows the blade to deploy much easier than the first gen did. Both of which I really like not to mention I found a store where I can snag one up for 160 shipped for the Gen-2 non blem brand new in box which seems like a heck of a deal for a knife of that quality. Thing that sucks though is this is cutting into my Swamp Rat fund.

- 11/10/12 07:57 PM

Did you notice my 0560 rocks an XM clip?

I'm not fond of deep carry. I don't give a rats ass if others can see a bit of my knife, I need to be able to grab it and deploy it when it's needed. A lanyard helps with either clip choice.

Most deployment issues on the Gen 1 were operator ignorance. And a few that traded hands had blade play because some of them fell again to ignorance as some folks fiddled with the pivots and lockbars.

At $160 it's a buy.

- 11/10/12 08:02 PM

Now I just need to see if I can get a cool orange scales for the Gen-2.

Normally I dont care who sees my knife either but if I am being asked not to carry a fixed blade I dont want to give them any reason to tell me I cant carry a folder either. I dont care if customers see it but id rather my boss not just so he doesnt try to say anything to be about it.

Also how about the different steels? Are they pretty similar or is the ELMAX a good upgrade over the S35vn.

Btw thanks for taking the time to help me here im pretty far off from knowing what a good folder is.

- 11/10/12 08:39 PM

I would not consider Elmax an upgrade to other powdered super steels, its "on par" with them. For example, is a Ferrari that much nicer then its Lamborghini counterpart?

Hinderer textured Orange scales are a hard to find item. I get e-mails and such asking if I'll part with mine. I know the frag was offered, but don't know how available it is.

And the aftermarket has several "unofficial" option. I stay away from unofficial parts partially for the obvious warranty interference and out of respect for the makers.

You are welcome. I feel this is what forums are for.

- 11/10/12 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;12193
I would not consider Elmax an upgrade to other powdered super steels, its "on par" with them. For example, is a Ferrari that much nicer then its Lamborghini counterpart?

Hinderer textured Orange scales are a hard to find item. I get e-mails and such asking if I'll part with mine. I know the frag was offered, but don't know how available it is.

And the aftermarket has several "unofficial" option. I stay away from unofficial parts partially for the obvious warranty interference and out of respect for the makers.

You are welcome. I feel this is what forums are for.

I know you said that a regular joe like myself cant order direct from Hinderer but is that only knives or anything they sell. Reason I ask is that it appears the orange scale for a 550 is listed on there site.

I also looked into the frag scales but I think I like the texturing on the Hinderer scale a bit better, it doesnt appear to be quiet as aggresive while still being a very good upgrade in grip over the stock scale (which imo is just damn ugly I wish they would use the 560 type scale on the 550).

- 11/10/12 09:22 PM

Don't know where you see the scale for sale. Please PM me a link. I'm not in the market, but on Hinderer's site all I see are XM parts.

Anyone can buy pieces that are in stock. It's the knives that are difficult to buy.

Oh, since we're talking about Hinderers....if you tuck away the $20/week (like I mentioned), you're only about 30-35 weeks from being able to afford a XM (3.5" or 3") on the open market.

I'm no fan of the original ZT 0550 scale and own no frag (even though I've had many, many chances to buy it; even a shot at very early runs since I was at Blade 2011 when it was introduced for XMs).

- 11/10/12 10:58 PM

Sent you that pm buddy.

- 11/11/12 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;12202
Sent you that pm buddy.

Cool, but on the pull-down menu where you choose your color...it's Green, FDE or Pink only. Orange, as I understand it is very difficult to find.

I have heard from some people that asked (the company) directly via e-mail if the orange would be made again, and no timeframe can be estimated for when.

- 11/11/12 10:33 AM

Well dangit, oh well any of those Hinderer scales are better than the terrible looking one that comes on it.

- 11/11/12 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;12210
Well dangit, oh well any of those Hinderer scales are better than the terrible looking one that comes on it.

Yep, all are more attractive. Even the pink is better than that "brick" pattern.

But given the choices, and I'd move fast if you want the scale.....I'd go FDE first.

- 11/11/12 10:58 AM

- 01/11/13 02:59 PM

Any changes?

Or any new members wanna contribute?

- 01/11/13 03:46 PM

spyderco southard

Posted by: Szilard

- 01/11/13 05:59 PM

I have a lot of folders...too many. I'd kind of like to sell a bunch to fund fixed blades in the Busse and Kin family. I do regularly carry a folder still though.

Benchmade Griptilian and Adamas are my top two, followed by a Paramilitary 2. I enjoy owning the BM860 Persian, but rarely carry it. I was also given a 710 for Christmas that seems to be a really quality blade. I tend to like the axis lock and the compression lock, and I like blades that have a little beef to them. Despite that, the PM2 is still a really quality slicer and since I use the folder for mostly small slicing tasks I have a very good experience and opinion of it.

My 0560 is not for me, it's weird. It's slicing geometry doesn't seem that good or effective. Maybe I just have to wicked edge it. Also I once chipped it doing something REALLY minimal, something which I've seen happen to a few other 0560s so I'm dubious about the heat treat on a few of them. I've also never loved frame locks, which makes me think the hinderers might not be for me.

On the cheaper end I do kind of enjoy occasionally carrying my Cold Steel Recon 1 spear point but generally I fear admitting that in knife communities before someone goes on a Lynn Thompson rampage.

- 01/12/13 07:28 PM

I don't see things the same way you do on many things you posted. But that's the beauty of things. What's right for me and my needs / wants may not be right for you. And the opposite is true as well.
Posted by: Lora

- 01/16/13 09:56 AM

My EDC is my Rat Trap, I love that little knife laugh

- 01/16/13 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Lora;14753
My EDC is my Rat Trap, I love that little knife laugh

You and Josh both. Do you guys share the same one?

Perhaps it's a perk of the job. As good as you girls do at keeping customers happy, it's a well-deserved perk.

- 01/16/13 09:40 PM

Well mine might be changing with the release of the ZT 566.

- 01/16/13 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;14798
Well mine might be changing with the release of the ZT 566.

Wish it had the design elements of the 0560/0561 that make those desirable. I often said a smaller 0560 would be a winner. I guess there's still time for tweaks, but it looks like a mid-range item. By that I mean nicer than a Cryo (&2), but not as nice as the 0560/0561.

- 01/17/13 12:10 AM

The 0566 sure looks nice, and in EDC size too... Pity we here will not get them... flippers are illegal to import... frown

- 01/18/13 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;14810
Wish it had the design elements of the 0560/0561 that make those desirable. I often said a smaller 0560 would be a winner. I guess there's still time for tweaks, but it looks like a mid-range item. By that I mean nicer than a Cryo (&2), but not as nice as the 0560/0561.

Biggest thing to me is its an American made Hinderer design that is in my general price range. I try not to go much over 100 bucks on folders (this would be set aside if it came to a nice SnG or a real XM-18).

- 01/18/13 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;14765
You and Josh both. Do you guys share the same one?

Perhaps it's a perk of the job. As good as you girls do at keeping customers happy, it's a well-deserved perk.

I wouldn't share if I had to wink I like having my rat trap all to myself.

- 01/18/13 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;14931
Biggest thing to me is its an American made Hinderer design that is in my general price range. I try not to go much over 100 bucks on folders (this would be set aside if it came to a nice SnG or a real XM-18).

You want to know something? I used to subscribe to the theory that my primary user should not exceed "X" dollars in value. Adopted that idea after breaking many knives and then losing a first run Benchmade auto that I carried for several years. Was tired of broken, failing and lost knives. So I went inexpensive.

That didn't last long. Knives kept failing. So I turned to the Internet looking for the "best" knives. It's where I found the brands I now carry and why I hang out in the very forums that I do.

- 01/18/13 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Lora;14934
I wouldn't share if I had to wink I like having my rat trap all to myself.

Little selfish, but I completely understand.:D

If I make it to Blade you had better be prepared to play show-n-tell. Josh had his both times I checked (ATL, and at the Creek), btw.

- 01/18/13 05:11 PM

I don't go out anywhere without it. So feel free to challenge that statement. wink By then I may have a few more knives to play Show'N'Tell with that are a little more interesting. laugh

- 01/18/13 05:31 PM

You bet I had mine with me. I am starting to think that it is permanently attached to my hip. Which I am completely OK with.

- 01/18/13 05:34 PM

You and me both Josh, I'm lost without it. That's for sure!

- 01/18/13 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.;14947
You bet I had mine with me. I am starting to think that it is permanently attached to my hip. Which I am completely OK with.

I often have mine clipped into the left pocket of my jeans, being slim it rides there so well it's hard to even know you have it with you. though, when opened, it becomes a full sized folder and having it's drop point it is useful in most any situation.

- 01/18/13 06:02 PM

I honestly feel naked if I am not carrying a knife....it is part of my wardrobe.

- 01/18/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Lora;14945
I don't go out anywhere without it. So feel free to challenge that statement. wink By then I may have a few more knives to play Show'N'Tell with that are a little more interesting. laugh

Do not toy with me...PM details on what other "a few more knives...." you speak of!!! cool

Oh please tell me there's a "better mousetrap" in the works!

- 01/18/13 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.;14947

I'm aware you're very fond of that little guy.
Posted by: Fuer Grissa Ost Draika

- 01/19/13 01:18 AM

One of my EDC's-

- 01/19/13 08:27 AM

Rat Trap Goodness. Love IT.
Posted by: Massive Metal

- 01/19/13 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.;14985
Rat Trap Goodness. Love IT.

I'ld carry it if you guys re-release it

MM
Posted by: Fuer Grissa Ost Draika

- 01/19/13 02:27 PM

I switch up the Rat Trap with a Hossom Retribution from Ontario.
My only issue with the Rat Trap is the finish on the G-10, it is too grippy, if there is such a thing. If it were ever re-released, I would like to see a different pattern on the scales.

- 01/19/13 02:43 PM

Release it again with all Ti (textured on the current G10 side) and make it a frame lock...cool

- 01/19/13 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Magoo;14956
I honestly feel naked if I am not carrying a knife....it is part of my wardrobe.

That's like my Leatherman Charge, it never leaves my belt. If I go out without it I know I've forgot to put my pants on. laugh

- 01/20/13 03:23 AM

- 02/02/13 11:01 PM

Been changing it up a bit lately. I have been using my Emerson A100 and mini A100.

- 02/03/13 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: infocus2006;15844
Been changing it up a bit lately. I have been using my Emerson A100 and mini A100.

I thought about one of the minis for my checked travel luggage as long as it's waved, but went with a waved Spydie Delica instead because of the lower price point. If it's lost or "misplaced in transit" it wont hurt much. I also have a Cryo and BM Mini Grip for this role.
Posted by: bonesmalones

- 02/03/13 08:24 PM

Spyderco Manix 2 XL.

- 02/03/13 09:08 PM

I have a manix 2 and has seen some use! It has been sharpened more than any knife I own and is still solid.

- 02/03/13 09:26 PM

These days I'm carrying a Manix 2. That thing has seen some heavy use lately. I'm just debating on keeping the edge it has or convexing it. How do you keep your edge IF?

- 02/03/13 09:40 PM

Blade-Tech Ganyana in S30V. Tough little thing. I have reground the microbevel so it cuts now, I love the jimping on the spine at the front. Carried the thing on 4 continents, and it's been in 3 oceans... laugh
Posted by: Psyop

- 02/03/13 10:39 PM

I carry a Buck Vantage Pro most days and a SAK Alox Farmer as well.

- 02/03/13 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;15911
These days I'm carrying a Manix 2. That thing has seen some heavy use lately. I'm just debating on keeping the edge it has or convexing it. How do you keep your edge IF?

Not for sure what type edge it is. I just run it on my paper wheels until it is popping hair and shaving a flies whiskers!:). I keep it close to the factor bevel with a lansky and then finish it on paper wheels.

- 02/06/13 03:47 AM

mumbo glow manix 1 v 2 full by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

mumbo glow manix 1 v 2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

- 02/06/13 05:48 PM

I've got a couple Manix 2s. I'll have to dig them out, I know they are different grinds, colors, etc. but the details escape me.

- 04/22/13 02:05 PM

Just got this one!

- 04/22/13 05:15 PM

Nice G4 3.5 Spanto Flipper! Enjoy it!

- 04/22/13 08:06 PM

Some great folders in here. cool

I'm back to carrying my Peter Marker folder.

- 04/22/13 08:09 PM

That's a beauty Ian!
Thumb stud seems to be on the wrong side though wink

- 04/22/13 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;20554
That's a beauty Ian!
Thumb stud seems to be on the wrong side though wink

It is at that. laugh

I forgot to tell him that I was a lefty when I asked him to make it for me. laugh
Though I've mastered opening it up by hooking my index finger under the blade.

- 04/22/13 08:22 PM

Lefties are always a little strange. :p

- 04/22/13 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.;20564

LOL. laugh True.

- 04/22/13 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.;20564

Well, there are at least two of us here, strange or not. wink
-carl

- 04/22/13 09:25 PM

Ian-
Looks like that thumb stud could be moved to the right (read: correct) side.
-carl

- 04/22/13 10:30 PM

Ian, those bolsters are pretty!

As for thumstuds....I like ambi because you never know if you'll be dominant-incumbered when you really need blade deployment.

- 04/22/13 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;20573
Ian-
Looks like that thumb stud could be moved to the right (read: correct) side.
-carl

Yes I've already checked that out, the trouble is there is a recess on the other side for it to fit into.

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;20580
Ian, those bolsters are pretty!

As for thumstuds....I like ambi because you never know if you'll be dominant-incumbered when you really need blade deployment.

I watched a vid on You Tube where a fella demonstrated opening and closing a Leatherman Charge in lefty, so I've been practicing that and I've become proficient at it, not as neat as a righty doing it, but still pretty quick. laugh

Edited to add:
The bolsters are Mokume Gane. I love them and they don't seem to tarnish like brass.

- 04/22/13 10:42 PM

If one HAS to do something...it's amazing what one can accomplish.

But my Sebenza had to have dual studs...I like the look and benefits of dual studs.

- 04/22/13 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Trumby;20582
Yes I've already checked that out, the trouble is there is a recess on the other side for it to fit into.

laugh

Edited to add:
The bolsters are Mokume Gane. I love them and they don't seem to tarnish like brass.

Hmmm.... Like N2K I need/want two studs for left/right deployment. Not critical, though, adaptability is a key strength.
-carl

- 04/22/13 10:54 PM

Yep, better have dual studs just in case you need to use your weak hand.

I've noticed that a lot of 'gentleman' folders have a single stud.

- 04/22/13 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;20590
Yep, better have dual studs just in case you need to use your weak hand.

I've noticed that a lot of 'gentleman' folders have a single stud.

Not bein' a gentle man, I'd never know that. laugh
-carl

- 04/22/13 11:52 PM

On few occasions it has detracted me from buying a folder.

- 04/23/13 12:05 AM

Here's another one of Peters.

Damasteel blade... Mosaic Damascus bolsters...
Mammoth Ivory Bark scales...
Diamonds inlaid in spine and thumb bob...