header

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#6648 - 05/29/12 11:58 AM
infocus2006 Offline

Great list! I like the oven roaster bag!
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it." ...Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China

#6649 - 05/29/12 01:55 PM
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Thanks, fella's-
That list has been pretty static for over 8 years now, and at least once a year I bail with only that bag for 3 to 4 days to "re-certify" content. I used to bail for a week at a time, but the wife wants to go and she wants to "enjoy" the trip (which invariably leads to more stuff than I want available) so the trips are shortened a bit. She has a BOB of sorts but that ain't enough either..............some you lose and some you LOSE. confused

But, the point is, an untested bag is just a bag- not a BOB.

Additionally, I like redundancy for critical items (2 is 1 and 1 is none). But you need to decide what is critical based upon what is in your brain (the CRITICAL piece of gear that eases the load on your back and gives you added flexibility and mobility). A 20 pound BOB will trump a 50 pound BOB every time (and the bag comes in at 3- 5 pounds empty).
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#6650 - 05/29/12 11:53 PM
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
I've got to be honest, I don't own a BOB. Unless you can call my truck one, I've pretty much everything in it somewhere that will fit into the BOB classification. laugh

My only defense is that I rarely get too far away from my truck.

Donít bother walking a mile in my shoes that would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head, thatíll freak you right out.

#6651 - 05/30/12 01:43 PM
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Trumby;3718
I've got to be honest, I don't own a BOB. Unless you can call my truck one, I've pretty much everything in it somewhere that will fit into the BOB classification. laugh

My only defense is that I rarely get too far away from my truck.

Ian-
Your BOB is in your head as is much of mine. Think back to the days when you were mustering ...when your horse jumped a creek and impaled itself on a tree. I know the story and there is not one thing I would (or could) have done differently. Time in the bush (where you survive issues) is time in school.
-carl

#6652 - 05/30/12 08:59 PM
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

It's called the school of hard knocks. laugh

Donít bother walking a mile in my shoes that would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head, thatíll freak you right out.

#6653 - 05/30/12 09:32 PM
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Trumby;3830
It's called the school of hard knocks. laugh

Yeah, but taken as a whole, it is a darn good school. I rather like the pass/fail system of grading in that school. If ya fail, you are not here to tell about it. Graduates are few and far between ...and most of them have scars (or broken bodies) for diploma's.

Like when I broke my leg on Lost Johnny Creek, Montana (left tibia) preseason spotting Elk herds for a later hunt (which I never got to participate in), or when I broke my ankle in the Dollhouse region of Utah- what you do and whether or not you succeed is totally up to you. Broken limbs and vertical ground don't mix well. You can't "crawl" out and no-one is going to come get you.
You better have (and be) all you need.

While I don't want to repeat either course, they were great ways to learn what counts and what don't.
-carl

#6654 - 05/30/12 10:46 PM
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;3834
Yeah, but taken as a whole, it is a darn good school. I rather like the pass/fail system of grading in that school. If ya fail, you are not here to tell about it. Graduates are few and far between ...and most of them have scars (or broken bodies) for diploma's.

Like when I broke my leg on Lost Johnny Creek, Montana (left tibia) preseason spotting Elk herds for a later hunt (which I never got to participate in), or when I broke my ankle in the Dollhouse region of Utah- what you do and whether or not you succeed is totally up to you. Broken limbs and vertical ground don't mix well. You can't "crawl" out and no-one is going to come get you.
You better have (and be) all you need.

While I don't want to repeat either course, they were great ways to learn what counts and what don't.
-carl

Wow, and I thought getting shin splints 5 miles from camp was bad. You have to be one tough SOB to make it out of those situations.

#6655 - 05/31/12 02:01 AM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

You can read all the books, watch all the television shows, and consume all the Internet information available, but without getting out and living a bit, you truly miss so very much.

#6656 - 05/31/12 02:23 AM
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.;3844
Wow, and I thought getting shin splints 5 miles from camp was bad. You have to be one tough SOB to make it out of those situations.

...or maybe just dumb. My pappy always told me that if I was gonna be dumb, I'd better get tough:)

Here is a great example:

That is a doc in the background, photo taken after he did his handiwork.
-carl

#6657 - 05/31/12 02:26 AM
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

ya tough when you ask the doc if he can wrap up the bits for your cat. :D:D

All jokes aside, that's gotta hurt.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.