header

Page 10 of 20 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#49401 - 03/05/17 01:17 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
I'm rather narrow in my pursuit of passive entertainment- It needs to have horses, guns, wilderness, knives, etc. I never found war entertaining enough to hold my attention long- except when it involved the trails and tribulations of one subject in that endeavor- Like Shooter.

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#49410 - 03/08/17 03:43 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Another for winter. smile

CHRISTOPHER CARSON; Familiarly Known As Kit Carson The Pioneer of the West.

Kit Carson was a frontiersman, explorer, Indian fighter and a true American hero. This book, Christopher Carson - The Pioneer of the West by John S.C. Abbott tells the story in wonderful detail. You'll meet other well known Americans such as John C. Fremont, but mostly, you'll thrill to the adventures of Kit Carson.
Carson was a mild mannered man who didn't drink alcohol and never used foul language, but when danger threatened him or any of his companions, he stepped forward without a hint of fear. He grew to manhood in some of the most exciting times the new American nation ever experienced, and was instrumental in extending the boundaries of this new nation from sea to shining sea.
This isn't a novel, but the true story of the life of Kit Carson. Once you start reading you'll find that this is a book you won't want to put down until the end.
This edition of CHRISTOPHER CARSON; Familiarly Known As Kit Carson The Pioneer of the West includes the original images from the book plus historical and newly painted images of Kit Carson.
This is the ebook of the Bottom of the Hill Publishing print edition of CHRISTOPHER CARSON; Familiarly Known As Kit Carson The Pioneer of the West. If you would like a printed book look on Amazon for ISBN 978-1-61203-731-8

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#49411 - 03/08/17 03:53 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Also a couple of Aussie books for when I'm strapping in for winter. smile

The computers at Amazon watch the books you are looking at, and then send emails with suggestions to lure you in.

Last of the Packhorse Stockmen Vol 1 - 1 (The City Kid Goes Bush:north to the Kimberley)

This is a true story about life on the land in those final
years before the mobility of mechanization changed the
face of life on the great rural holdings of inland
Australia. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, always
interesting.
The people are real, but many have long since passed
away.
The places are real, but although most still exist today,
prosperity and change has hidden the hardship and
isolation they once endured.
The events described really happened and have been
tarnished only by the erosion of time.

And another.

Dirt Classroom: An inspiring true adventure through the Australian Outback

At 15, I made the decision to leave home and began working on some of the worlds largest cattle stations. Over the next 2 years, I was attacked by a few wild animals, experienced unexplained phenomenon, had a massive learning curve and truly experienced the Australian outback.

If you are after a story that was written to appeal to the masses and that mainstream publishers love, then this probably isn't for you. If you are after a lighthearted read that provides the raw truth about life out bush and my experience of it, then click away.

#49416 - 03/08/17 07:09 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

I think I'd like Dirt Classroom a lot!

-carl

#49418 - 03/08/17 10:27 PM Re: [Re: Carl Theile]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
They DO look interesting. smile

#49427 - 03/10/17 09:49 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Bought another two. grin

Kirrama: Life on an Australian Cattle Station Kindle Edition
by Barbara Gunn (Author)

Sold on Reality? KIRRAMA/Life on an Australian Cattle Station. This is a true story of an ordinary Texas ranching family moving to Queensland, Australia, to ranch on a much larger scale. The Gunn family took a huge step into the unknown. There would be many sacrifices. The children would be home schooled. Everyone would have to learn to survive without modern conveniences. Outpost radio would be the only means of communication and verbal medical diagnosis. The pages of this book reflect the true life challenges faced by an ordinary “spoiled” American family.

The second one looks to be a beauty, also set in the times when I was out there working.

They Even Paid Me: Raw reflections of a third generation Kimberley cattleman. Kindle Edition
by Janet R Wells (Author)

Based in the rugged West Kimberley region of Western Australia 'They Even Paid Me' is the story of a third generation Kimberley stockman, who grew up on a cattle station near Derby during the nineteen forties and fifties. With his inimitable drawl, wry humour and innate ability with stock John Wells is a man once met not easily forgotten. Now in his seventies this is the story of his journey from infancy to manhood, and of his experiences as a ringer, headstockman and station manager on some of the regions best known cattle stations. Set in the days when cattle were wild, conditions tough and communication networks non-existent 'They Even Paid Me' is an accurate and frank account of life as it was for the station worker of those times, of the risks taken, the jokes shared, the hardships endured and the methods used. With detailed descriptions of how tasks were performed, from bull throwing to pulling a beast up to a bronco panel the story also conveys a deep admiration for the many accomplished native stockmen of that era, as well as the brilliant but alcohol sodden white men without whom stations at that time could not have functioned, whilst the affection he felt for his working horses is apparent throughout. A stickler for accuracy the tales contained in this book are both raw and real, some coarse, others compassionate. All are true. John has not spared himself in their telling. He has given a candid account of himself, one which it is hoped conveys a vivid picture of life as it was on Kimberley cattle stations during the nineteen sixties, seventies and eighties.

#49428 - 03/10/17 09:59 PM Re: [Re: Carl Theile]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile
I think I'd like Dirt Classroom a lot!

-carl

Carl,
The Dirt Classroom was a bit disappointing, it was about a young fifteen year old fella that hated school. (I could relate to that) smile

He was only out there for two years, however he would have had a fair introduction to the outback, but then went on to join the army and after that the police force.

He talks about the min min light a fair bit, and I could relate to that as well, I've had one follow me through the bush at night out there. An uncomfortable experience. grin

The old blackfellas reckon that their evil spirits chasing them. some say they are something to do with the earths surface, I've even heard old bushmen say that its an Emu running around out there with a torch stuck up its arse. grin
Either way they can be very unsettling on your own out in the back country at night.

The picture is of the author with one of the station horses.

#49438 - 03/12/17 03:19 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Thanks, Ian. "they even paid me" is more my style... Looking for it...

-carl

#50987 - 06/24/18 10:55 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Started a new book.

Green Hills of Africa
Ernest Hemingway

Haven't really got into yet, but I think it will be a good one.

#50989 - 06/25/18 12:45 PM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Sounds interesting Ian, keep us posted. wink

Page 10 of 20 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.