header

Page 12 of 18 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#51283 - 08/17/18 09:16 AM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
I'm presently reading "The Iron Mistress" by Paul Wellman. It's the book that inspired the movie of the same name, starring Alan Ladd as Jim Bowie.

#51284 - 08/17/18 01:52 PM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
MonkeyBomb Offline

Loc: USA
I got a kindle a few years ago. I thought I would hate it. I have a thing for holding a book in my hands and turning a page. Its just as much tactile experience as anything else.

I like the kindle because I can get books cheap and instantly.

If you order Wool make sure you get the book unless you want the graphic novel.

#51285 - 08/18/18 01:18 AM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
Die Hard Rat

I ordered the book. wink

#51456 - 09/14/18 02:36 PM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
Die Hard Rat

I finished "The Green Hills of Africa" last night, so I will start reading "Wool" next.

#51467 - 09/15/18 08:02 AM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Another two new books for me.

Sons in the Saddle by Mary Durack, an Aussie writer.
I've read one of her other books Kings in Grass Castle's. Her family had one of the big outback cattle stations up in the top around the WA and NT border.

Also another by her
Keep Him My Country

(Keep Him My Country) Australian Aboriginal English. (To keep it my country) Me interpreting grin.

Keep Him My Country is a powerful novel of a young man's experience of the harsh beauty of the outback, growing up and the difficult learning experience that accompanies it.

When 19-year-old Stan Rolt strikes out for the Northern Territory, determined to manage an ailing family cattle station, he plays into the hands of his manipulative grandfather. Intending to spend two years at Trafalgar Station, he stays fifteen, his soul captured by the harsh but haunting country of Kimberley. Try as he might, he can't seem to escape its clutches, even though it killed his father and threatens also to bring him down. He is held there by the dependence of the people, black and white, and the memory of a tragic love affair that still haunts him...

When the Aborigines sing songs of ‘my country’ they don’t mean Australia, for they have no knowledge of any other land. They mean their tribal territory, where the bones of their ancestors lie, and which they know and feel in their blood as well as through their life’s experiences. For the title of this fine novel of the north she knows so well, Mary Durack has chosen an appeal to the tribal earth from an Aboriginal love-song. Her theme is that the harsh, exploited north, filled with disappointment and heartbreak, wild fun, and good mateship, can clutch white men to it as firmly as it can any of its own dark sons. Stan Rolt, rebel member of a pioneering family, has plans for himself that differ widely from those of ‘the Old Immortal’, his domineering, cunning grandfather. The old man wins, with the powerful aid of the harsh, uncomfortable, exploited land itself and of the Aborigines.
Rolt is always on the verge of ‘making a break’ and getting out for good. He never manages it, is always held back by some urgent emergency on Trafalgar, the dependence on him of the people, black and white, the love of the place he never admits but that is revealed in his reports to the owners in the south. Sensitive and intelligent, he becomes sincerely in love with a coloured girl, and though the episode is, as it must be, tragic, it soars for a while to levels of delight.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#51486 - 09/17/18 07:05 AM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
Die Hard Rat

They both sound interesting.

#51497 - 09/18/18 07:07 AM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
RobStanley Offline

Loc: Straya
Read this one a little while back. Facsinating read...

Edited by RobStanley (09/18/18 07:07 AM)

#51499 - 09/18/18 05:31 PM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

That looks to be a good one, Rob.
It's great to see you back mate, I hope you can stick around, we need the support grin

#51502 - 09/18/18 08:01 PM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Trumby]
RobStanley Offline

Loc: Straya
Originally Posted By: Trumby
That looks to be a good one, Rob.
It's great to see you back mate, I hope you can stick around, we need the support grin

It is a great read. I spent several years of my childhood in PNG, so it was good to read about places I was familiar with too.

#51582 - 10/01/18 09:02 PM Re: OT: Looking for some new books . [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

It's Similar for me with the Mary Durack books, as I've worked throughout a lot of those areas.

Page 12 of 18 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.