header

Page 8 of 19 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#51249 - 08/14/18 10:30 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
For those who don't know, Lightning Ridge is the home of Black opals.

The most valued of all opals is the Black Opal, of which Lightning Ridge is ’home’ and their inherent value comes from their rarity. Black Opal is distinguished from other opals by their dark background (Body Tone) and this characteristic enables the brightness of colour of which they are known. The ‘darkness’ is the result of the opal is formed on a darker (black) quartz-like layer that enables greater refraction/reflection of the light to the top of the opal, especially the reds and pinks. It is the 'reds' that are more valuable.

To expand the 'play of color' of Black Opal even further, some specimens have a light crystal colour bar on dark opal potch (colourless opal) which gives the otherwise light opal a dark appearance. Even expensive black/dark opals may have only a very thin colour bar on black potch (Colourless Opal).

Black Opal is found as what is referred to as 'Nobbies', which are fossil replacements of corals or sponges. As the opal is formed, silica replaces the organic material and carbonaceous material or impurities like titanium impregnates the mineral structure giving the Black Opal its body colour.

Compared to Light and Boulder opals, Black Opals fetch a higher price for a given colour, clarity and pattern, due to their scarcity.

Black Opals

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#51264 - 08/16/18 04:17 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Originally Posted By: Trumby
Here's some old pictures of the Lightening Ridge "Billy Goat Races"......

....Then there would be 4X4 wheeler's heading in all directions to get the kid back. grin
Being wild, they didn't all run in the right direction.

Hahaha! That looks like a great time. They have porcupine races in a town about an hour north of here every year. No riders allowed lol grin

#51265 - 08/16/18 03:56 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Sadly, thus is what we let the minority groups do to our country, same as the gun lobby.

Its time Australians show some balls and put them all in their places.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-04-13/change-of-format-for-lightning-ridge-goat-races/2619208

And why I won't be back there.

#51275 - 08/16/18 06:03 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

It's everywhere Ian. The local FFA club (Future Farmers of America) used to do a 'donkey basketball' fund raiser for their chapter. That got shut down too. Somehow bake sales just don't turn the revenue like watching the school principal trying to make a basket from the saddle.

#51276 - 08/16/18 06:31 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Yeah I guess so mate, its sad though that a small amount of loud mouths can cause so much trouble.

Everyone that I know is outraged that the races are stopped as well as the locals. But the minorities still win at the end of the day.

#51297 - 08/20/18 09:44 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]
Hard Knocks Offline

Originally Posted By: Trumby
Yeah I guess so mate, its sad though that a small amount of loud mouths can cause so much trouble.

Everyone that I know is outraged that the races are stopped as well as the locals. But the minorities still win at the end of the day.

Yep I agree. Maybe we'll see a change one of these days, at least I hope so.

#51298 - 08/20/18 09:45 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

Got to do a little fishing with the family over the weekend. Not a lot of fish, but the ones we did catch were good ones.

Edited by Hard Knocks (08/20/18 09:46 PM)

#51299 - 08/20/18 10:03 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

They are beauty's. cool

Is that ice your sitting on? smile

#51302 - 08/21/18 12:29 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Private Klink Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Nice catch H/K! smile

#51312 - 08/23/18 12:00 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Private Klink Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
My last two Busse knives:

Page 8 of 19 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.