header

Page 1339 of 1352 < 1 2 ... 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 ... 1351 1352 >
Topic Options
#51165 - 08/03/18 07:45 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Andy the Aussie Online   content

Yep, the situation here is pretty bloody grim.

#51166 - 08/04/18 08:44 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Over here many cattlemen are selling off their stock as hay and feed is too expensive or in short supply. I haven't heard of any suicides though, thank goodness!

#51167 - 08/04/18 07:57 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Tom,
The further out here the properties become larger, 1 thousand square miles is very common, and some much larger.
VRD (Victoria River Downs) was 15 thousand aquare miles.
Mustering is nearly impossible without chopper musters and cattle camps, I went through a bad drought in the gulf of Queensland where hand feeding is near impossible.
The bullocks that were isolated from prior musters were soon trucked away before they could loose too much condition.
My days consisted of dropping uramol blocks around the bores. (Molasses Based, salt, Urea Calcium). to help them survive on rubbish like spinifex and other rubbish they could forage way out away from water.
Cattle out there are predominately African breeds, santa gertrudis, brahman, and zebu.
Big hard leggy cattle that can walk 100 or more miles (there snd back) from water to forage, also somewhat tick resistant.
Though I've seen some so tick infested they were just walking skeletons staggering along just nodding their heads. We used the strongest cattle dip available, then when the bullocks were trucked east to fatten and slaughter, they were held over in Julia Creek, a town east and re-dipped in a solution even we weren't able to have.
Most of my day, was traveling around the bores in a lamdcruiser tray top with a chain pulling the dead out of the water and shooting the hopeless before they ended up in there as well.
We had an estimated 44,000 head count there, so you can see how hopeless it all was.

I'm sure the smaller holdings closer to the coast did what they could to reduce numbers even at the miserable prices they would have made through the sale yards.

Most of the suicides, from what I can establish, are the properties that are well mortgaged and getting further in by buying more food from further borrowing.
Then the banks start to foreclose on them.

I watched a woman on telly the other night who said that she begged her bank manager to extend her time and he offered suicide as a solution.
This he strongly denied when the reporters questioned him.

There's no denying they do well in the good times, but it can all be stripped away in a drought.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#51168 - 08/05/18 02:18 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Die Hard Rat

WOW! shocked Those are some HUGE ranches! It's sad that the folks in deep trouble can't just walk away and start a new life elsewhere instead of resorting to suicide. It makes me think of my Grandfather who came over from Czechoslovakia with nothing but hope. He worked in coal mines until he could scrape up enough to get a small farm in southern Illinois. He went through some tough times but never gave up.

#51169 - 08/05/18 06:24 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
I think many are walking off the land, also many have been passed down through generations.
And a few take the easy way out. That percentage is very low, but has increased of late.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#51170 - 08/05/18 04:10 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Trumby]
Die Hard Rat

Well, I hope that folks give serious thought to their situation and come up with a more positive answer. There's always hope.

#51176 - 08/07/18 12:25 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Hard Knocks Online   content

Loc: SW Idaho USA
I hate to hear the drought is so bad there. It's hotter than blazes here and half the country has wildfires burning it seems. We are forecasted 108F here mid/late week. I guess I just figured the winter months would be yielding some moisture for our Australian brethren. Sorry to hear it's not.

#51182 - 08/08/18 12:06 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Die Hard Rat

Rains and storms have been missing us while just to the North and South they have been getting them. Only good thing about it is that I don't have to mow my grass very often.

#51185 - 08/08/18 12:14 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Hard Knocks Online   content

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Where are you in Missouri Tom, if you don't mind saying (no worries if not)? I've got relation from both the Branson area and near Springfield.

#51186 - 08/08/18 08:34 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

H/K, I'm just over an hour N/W of Springfield. If you take Springfield and Joplin, pick a point right in the middle of them, then go North the same distance you will find me. grin

Page 1339 of 1352 < 1 2 ... 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 ... 1351 1352 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.