header

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#51002 - 06/26/18 10:48 PM Picture and Conversation Thread
Hard Knocks Online   content

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Hello all. Sometimes (awwww, who am I kidding, MOST times) my conversation skills are lacking, BUT I do take a bunch of pictures regularly while I'm out. I thought about posting a few in the Death Chat, but that seemed out of place. So here's a thread to post pictures in, and if they lead to some conversation as well, then cool....

#51003 - 06/26/18 10:50 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

A few rainbows from a nice day out last weekend.

#51004 - 06/26/18 10:51 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

And a plague of crickets we have this year, worse than normal.

#51005 - 06/27/18 08:20 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Nice pics H/K. Those are some fine looking fish...I bet they tasted great! grin

#51008 - 06/27/18 07:32 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Private Klink

I agree, that bottom fella is a beauty.

Are you using bait or lures?

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#51009 - 06/28/18 02:33 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

Thanks Tom. My boy had one about an inch longer than my good one. We got in pretty late that night so haven't fried them up yet, but I'm looking forward to it smile

Originally Posted By: Trumby
Are you using bait or lures?

We caught those on lures Ian. I couldn't seem to get a strike on anything other than a silver Mepps brand spinner with a hair tail on it. My boy caught all of his on a red and white Daredevil spoon. I've had good luck there with a brown Roostertail spinner, but not this time, and for the life of me I couldn't get a strike on a spoon just like my boy was using.

#51010 - 06/28/18 09:08 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

My son does that to me using Heddon Zara Spooks on my pond. He will nail the bass while I just keep trying. I usually switch to a plastic worm and catch up. wink

#51013 - 06/28/18 07:17 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Back in the good old days before I retired my son-in-law used to work for me after work on my bush rock business.

Instead of pay I would put his wages into a fishing fund and add the same for myself, when we had enough we would book a weekend away on a fishing charter up to a coastal town called South West Rocks.
That included accommodation and two days deep sea fishing

The owner of the charter knew all of the best spots to get us into the action.

Here's a pic of my SIL holding up a typical fish we used to encounter.
I used to get a bit sea sick but it was worth it for the fun.

#51014 - 06/29/18 07:48 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Man, I haven't gone fishin' for such a long time!

#51032 - 07/05/18 08:54 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Ian, I want to go fishing with you! grin

#51035 - 07/06/18 01:03 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]

My son does that to me using Heddon Zara Spooks on my pond. He will nail the bass while I just keep trying. I usually switch to a plastic worm and catch up. wink

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rubber worm or twist-tail jig both put up numbers for me, too, Tom. I guess I just don't hold my mouth right when I have a spoon on the line.

#51036 - 07/06/18 01:20 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

Back in the good old days before I retired my son-in-law used to work for me after work on my bush rock business.

Instead of pay I would put his wages into a fishing fund and add the same for myself, when we had enough we would book a weekend away on a fishing charter up to a coastal town called South West Rocks.
That included accommodation and two days deep sea fishing

The owner of the charter knew all of the best spots to get us into the action.

Here's a pic of my SIL holding up a typical fish we used to encounter.
I used to get a bit sea sick but it was worth it for the fun.

That's a beauty Ian. What specie of fish is that?

Man it's been a long time, but when I was a kid we used to go out of Garibaldi off the Oregon coast. We fished with a captain there named Ted or Ed Fisher IIRC (35 years ago...) But anyway, there was a reef there that was later named 'Fisher's Reef' for that Captain, and we caught some big ling cod there. I say 'we' but mostly it was the grown-ups as I was just a kid that wouldn't let go of my dad's coat-tail long enough to get left home. I can smell the salt air and diesel exhaust right now, as well as remember crossing the bar, lol.

The nicest day I ever spent out on the ocean was out of Newport, also off the Oregon coast. I don't think there was a foot variance in the seas that day, and we fished out of my cousin's 17-foot Boston Whaler, a small craft for what can be big water. But it was beautiful that day. Idyllic, really, the water just like glass. There were four of us fishing, and I don't think there was a time all day when one of us didn't have something on. So many days fishing when someone lays into them, but the rest struggle....not this day. We hauled in blue and black bass, capezon, ling, flounder....others that I'm forgetting I'm sure. I doubt I live long enough to see another day on the ocean like that. Thanks for spurring the memory.

Edited by Hard Knocks (07/06/18 01:22 AM)

#51039 - 07/06/18 01:41 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Here's a few nice trout from last summer with a NMFSH for size reference.

#51040 - 07/06/18 01:43 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

And a bunch of shovelnose sturgeon from years ago along a stretch of the Missouri River flowing through Montana. These don't get as big as white sturgeon. A 48-inch fish is very large for shovelnose in that country.

#51042 - 07/06/18 05:17 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

It's a Cobia or Black Kingfish, great fighters and a prized table fish.
Can get a good bit larger than that one.

#51043 - 07/07/18 01:47 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks
And a bunch of shovelnose sturgeon from years ago along a stretch of the Missouri River flowing through Montana. These don't get as big as white sturgeon. A 48-inch fish is very large for shovelnose in that country.

There big fish, do you catch them by set line ?

#51058 - 07/10/18 12:39 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

We caught all those with rod & reel. Actually I'm not sure if it's legal to use a set line there and I know we can't use one here. In other parts of the country I understand it's no problem though. I remember trying to carry/drag them from the river to the truck about 200 yards through the dark that night. That part wasn't near as fun as catching them grin

#51059 - 07/10/18 02:20 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

One of the hairiest fishing situations happened to me in Alaska in 1990. We were fishing along the Kenai river with my wife's uncle, who had flashlights for us in case it got too dark. We caught a LOT of salmon, and it indeed got very dark. My wife and I decided to go back up the hilly trail to the truck, and of course the flashlight was nearly dead. My wife said "if you will carry the fish and your .44 magnum, I will carry all the fishing gear". That was one HAIRY hike back to the truck, particularly because there were warning signs about bear activity in the area. eek

Her uncle stayed on the bank fishing all night, and he said he heard a lot of sounds that kept him wide awake all night. crazy

#51063 - 07/10/18 06:58 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

That's enough to keep you awake all week. grin

#51066 - 07/12/18 10:56 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]

One of the hairiest fishing situations happened to me in Alaska in 1990. We were fishing along the Kenai river with my wife's uncle, who had flashlights for us in case it got too dark. We caught a LOT of salmon, and it indeed got very dark. My wife and I decided to go back up the hilly trail to the truck, and of course the flashlight was nearly dead. My wife said "if you will carry the fish and your .44 magnum, I will carry all the fishing gear". That was one HAIRY hike back to the truck, particularly because there were warning signs about bear activity in the area. eek

Her uncle stayed on the bank fishing all night, and he said he heard a lot of sounds that kept him wide awake all night. crazy

I've got a bunch of family in Alaska. I remember on one summer visit we were headed fishing and crossed some big bear tracks on a sandbar. My dad said, awww there's nothing to worry about, they were probably made in the night. Then he got quiet for a minute. I asked him what was wrong, and he said well I just remembered it doesn't get dark this time of year grin

#51067 - 07/12/18 10:58 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

The view out the back door. The wheat's about ready to be threshed....

Edited by Hard Knocks (07/12/18 10:59 PM)

#51068 - 07/12/18 11:08 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Nice pic H/K! smile

#51071 - 07/13/18 07:37 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

That is a nice picture. cool

#51072 - 07/13/18 07:49 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

We caught all those with rod & reel. Actually I'm not sure if it's legal to use a set line there and I know we can't use one here. In other parts of the country I understand it's no problem though. I remember trying to carry/drag them from the river to the truck about 200 yards through the dark that night. That part wasn't near as fun as catching them grin

We used to set lines on the Baron river out at Collarenebri where I spent a good part of my youth after Yellowbelly (Golden perch), there was a little old lady down the road who regularly set a couple of lines and one day she had one on that was far too big for her to handle, her two sons were shearers and happened to be home at the time, they went out to help her get it in. They later weighed it in at the butchers at 106 lbs.

#51075 - 07/14/18 02:33 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

That's a LOT of fish! shocked

#51082 - 07/17/18 06:01 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

That's a LOT of fish! shocked

Sure is, from what I've heard the big ones don't taste anywhere as good as a juvenile fish.

#51084 - 07/18/18 01:57 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]

Nice pic H/K! smile

That is a nice picture. cool

Thanks! It was a beautiful evening, if a little warm lol.

Edited by Hard Knocks (07/18/18 01:58 AM)

#51085 - 07/18/18 02:00 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

Sure is, from what I've heard the big ones don't taste anywhere as good as a juvenile fish.

Are those golden perch white-meated? Man that would be a dandy fish alright.

#51088 - 07/18/18 08:48 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Are those golden perch white-meated? Man that would be a dandy fish alright.

Yes they are white meated.
There is currently a push to remove all of the introduced European carp from our dams Rivers and freash waterways. They have bred to massive proportions and here it is illegal to throw one back in if you catch one, by law they must be killed.

They are endangering our native species.

#51095 - 07/19/18 10:51 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

We are also overrun with carp. It's not illegal to throw one back, but no one ever does. At least we don't have any of those jumping ones out here that go crazy when a boat passes by.

#51104 - 07/22/18 05:58 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I've seen them on documentary's, fortunately we don't have them either laugh

#51107 - 07/24/18 02:45 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Asian carp takes down reporter, or reporter takes down game warden??!

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

#51121 - 07/26/18 01:03 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I can't get that one to work for some reason.

#51124 - 07/26/18 10:43 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

I can't get that one to work for some reason.

Well shoot. A very nice-looking lady reporter is doing a story on the invasive asian carp when the one she is holding begins to flop. The reporter lady promptly drops the carp and jumps backwards into the game officer, who she knocks over and ends up sitting in his lap with him smiling a big goofy grin grin

Doesn't have the same effect just telling it though blush grin

#51125 - 07/27/18 06:04 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

It's up now! grin

#51126 - 07/28/18 02:04 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I would smile too! grin

#51146 - 07/30/18 11:58 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

We're going to try to get out and catch a few kokanee this week. We're going to a spot my folks use to go to when I was a kid. It's far enough off that I haven't had a chance to fish it/scout it, so I sure hope we hit the run right!!

#51147 - 07/31/18 01:11 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Best of luck H/K! smile

#51150 - 07/31/18 05:41 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Thanks Tom! I'm sure ready to get out of Dodge at this point in the day! smile

#51151 - 08/01/18 12:23 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Have a good one H/K

#51152 - 08/01/18 01:46 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I hope H/K takes some pictures, as he will be in some beautiful country. smile

#51154 - 08/01/18 09:28 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Sounds like a good times plan to me!

There are times when I feel nostalgic about the fishing spots and mushroom spots of my youth...

#51155 - 08/01/18 09:42 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Yes, I often think about past vacations and fishing trips. I'm spoiled now that I have my own pond, but now I can take my grandkids whenever they visit. New memories! smile

#51174 - 08/06/18 05:50 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Yes, I often think about past vacations and fishing trips. I'm spoiled now that I have my own pond, but now I can take my grandkids whenever they visit. New memories! smile

What do you catch there Tom?
Twice I tried breading Yabbies and both times the turtles and Kookaburras cleaned me out.

#51177 - 08/07/18 12:40 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: elof_alv]

Thanks for the well-wishes all!

Originally Posted By: elof_alv
Sounds like a good times plan to me!

There are times when I feel nostalgic about the fishing spots and mushroom spots of my youth...

Same here Cesar. One of the reasons I wanted to take this trip is that my family used to live in that area and fish and camp there when I was very young. The new generation hasn't got to see this area before, so I wanted to make some new memories, like Tom said.

It was a great trip. We were too early for the run of kokanee that I wanted to show everyone, but as my girl is headed back to school, it was now or never. We did catch some trout and bass (you could fish the streams, the main river, or the reservoir) and I got to show my kids and niece some different techniques for fishing multiple types of water, so that was cool. At least it was for me, and I think they'd say the same, ha! smile Beautiful country for sure.

Lion sign

Bear sign

And the biggest Rubber Boa that I've ever seen (they're a very small snake). They're about the only snake I can tolerate, probably because they're not poisonous or big enough to eat me lol. grin

Edited by Hard Knocks (08/07/18 12:44 AM)

#51178 - 08/07/18 02:41 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Now that's a beautiful place to spend some time. cool

#51179 - 08/07/18 06:56 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Great spot for sure!

#51180 - 08/08/18 12:04 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Definitely a beautiful area! smile

#51181 - 08/08/18 12:05 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

It is beautiful for sure. We had a marten (called sable in some places) run through camp while we were there and heard wolves howl one night. I was looking on my GPS at the surrounding area while we were there. The spot we stayed borders the Sawtooth Wilderness, and I was amazed at how many high mountain lakes are in that country. Literally, a man could live his whole life and try to visit every one of them in Idaho alone, and fail. Same in Montana, and I'm sure other states as well. Beautiful and wild country. Here are a couple of more pics my wife snapped while we were there.

#51192 - 08/08/18 10:05 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

It would be a fantastic place to have a cabin back in there someplace secluded.

#51194 - 08/10/18 03:53 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I was thinking the same thing! grin

#51198 - 08/10/18 07:14 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I was thinking the same thing! grin

Yeah, I could happily become a hermit in that situation. grin

#51199 - 08/10/18 10:08 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Now here's an old picture I found. grin

Taken with my first wife quite a few years ago.

The man that reared me when my parents gave up. grin
My Grandfather, only a little skinny fella, but most of him was heart.

Who's game to put a few up laugh

#51205 - 08/11/18 01:15 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

I like those pictures Ian!

Here's a few...

My wife snuck this one of me last trip. I'm even showing a little leg. Get your sun glasses!!

Me and my girl checking out a trout she caught

Another shot of my girl singing the national anthem before an Idaho Steelheads game

#51206 - 08/11/18 05:14 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Great pictures, HK.

#51207 - 08/12/18 03:02 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

For sure!

#51214 - 08/12/18 12:19 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

All boys should get to run through the woods with the hounds at least once. Here's mine smile

#51215 - 08/12/18 03:10 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

H/K, you look like you're big enough to wrestle a bear! grin Those dogs sure look happy.

#51220 - 08/12/18 07:00 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

That's a great picture!

I noticed all of the dogs have trackers on them, I could have done with a few of those at times. grin

#51225 - 08/13/18 02:57 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Andy the Aussie Online   content

Well as you know I have an aversion to my picture being out there....but here's one I can live with...

#51228 - 08/13/18 05:41 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Andy the Aussie]

Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie
Well as you know I have an aversion to my picture being out there....but here's one I can live with...

Looks like you're ready and rearing to tackle the world there Andy!

Edited by Hard Knocks (08/13/18 05:41 PM)

#51229 - 08/13/18 05:44 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]

H/K, you look like you're big enough to wrestle a bear! grin Those dogs sure look happy.

That's my kid, and yep, I let him do most of the wrestling now!! grin

That's a great picture!

I noticed all of the dogs have trackers on them, I could have done with a few of those at times. grin

I've ran dogs most of my life without them. About 12-15 years ago I began running telemetry collars, and then about five years back upgraded to GPS collars. I certainly do not want to go back to the old way!

Edited by Hard Knocks (08/13/18 05:50 PM)

#51231 - 08/13/18 06:03 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

yep....had Mum known what she was getting into she would have probably returned me then and there. I am guessing that is late 1969.

#51232 - 08/13/18 07:21 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I've ran dogs most of my life without them. About 12-15 years ago I began running telemetry collars, and then about five years back upgraded to GPS collars. I certainly do not want to go back to the old way!

Yeah, it's not much fun still out in the middle of the night looking for dogs. grin

WE were out until about 3am one morning calling and looking for dogs, my mate said I think we should give up and come back in a day or two, though we wont have the same desire I guess, what desire is that?
To shoot the bloody things on sight. grin

Often we had to go back for one or two, they'd be laid up at a farm sore footed and looking miserable.

#51233 - 08/13/18 07:25 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Andy,
that's a fetching picture of a healthy looking young fella. grin

#51234 - 08/13/18 10:10 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I think I've shown this one. grin

Taken in 1958 at Collarenebri, getting a feed for the dogs laugh

Rifle is a Lithgow .22 single shot, the only rifle I owned at that age.
Went droving just after that pic was taken from Burren Junction to the Riverina.
After that I was cashed up and able to buy my first hi power MK5 .303 Jungle Carbine.

Later on in life I bought a Mauser 3000 in 30-06 and a Roberts rifle in Roberts 257. But kept the Jungle Carbine most of my adult life, mainly used on a horse in a scabbard, I eventually shot the barrel out on the .303.

#51237 - 08/14/18 12:05 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

Andy,
that's a fetching picture of a healthy looking young fella. grin
....yeah, but it seems I grew out of those baby good looks.... wink

#51242 - 08/14/18 07:45 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Here's some old pictures of the Lightening Ridge "Billy Goat Races"

I used to go out there every year until I heard that the animal libbers were going out to protest about cruelty to the wild goats that were caught each year for the races.

A whole load of BS!

Every now and then a goat would find a way out of the cordoning and head for the hills with someones kid hanging on as the jockey.

Then there would be 4X4 wheeler's heading in all directions to get the kid back. grin
Being wild, they didn't all run in the right direction.

#51243 - 08/14/18 08:21 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

It's been a bloody long time since I went to Lightening Ridge. There was a time there when gunfights around town were not uncommon. God knows how many bodies are actually stuffed into old shafts there !!

#51248 - 08/14/18 08:34 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Yeah I know, as a kid I used to go out with the mail contractor to open the gates for him. The pub in those days was corrugated iron on bush poles.
Nothing to see fellas walking around with a rifle or shotgun in those days. grin

If anything, Coober Pedy was worse or better, depending on how you look on changes we have in today's society. laugh

Here's a few more!

The Wiz bin races.

#51249 - 08/14/18 10:30 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

For those who don't know, Lightning Ridge is the home of Black opals.

The most valued of all opals is the Black Opal, of which Lightning Ridge is ’home’ and their inherent value comes from their rarity. Black Opal is distinguished from other opals by their dark background (Body Tone) and this characteristic enables the brightness of colour of which they are known. The ‘darkness’ is the result of the opal is formed on a darker (black) quartz-like layer that enables greater refraction/reflection of the light to the top of the opal, especially the reds and pinks. It is the 'reds' that are more valuable.

To expand the 'play of color' of Black Opal even further, some specimens have a light crystal colour bar on dark opal potch (colourless opal) which gives the otherwise light opal a dark appearance. Even expensive black/dark opals may have only a very thin colour bar on black potch (Colourless Opal).

Black Opal is found as what is referred to as 'Nobbies', which are fossil replacements of corals or sponges. As the opal is formed, silica replaces the organic material and carbonaceous material or impurities like titanium impregnates the mineral structure giving the Black Opal its body colour.

Compared to Light and Boulder opals, Black Opals fetch a higher price for a given colour, clarity and pattern, due to their scarcity.

Black Opals

#51264 - 08/16/18 04:17 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

Here's some old pictures of the Lightening Ridge "Billy Goat Races"......

....Then there would be 4X4 wheeler's heading in all directions to get the kid back. grin
Being wild, they didn't all run in the right direction.

Hahaha! That looks like a great time. They have porcupine races in a town about an hour north of here every year. No riders allowed lol grin

#51265 - 08/16/18 03:56 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Sadly, thus is what we let the minority groups do to our country, same as the gun lobby.

Its time Australians show some balls and put them all in their places.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-04-13/change-of-format-for-lightning-ridge-goat-races/2619208

And why I won't be back there.

#51275 - 08/16/18 06:03 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

It's everywhere Ian. The local FFA club (Future Farmers of America) used to do a 'donkey basketball' fund raiser for their chapter. That got shut down too. Somehow bake sales just don't turn the revenue like watching the school principal trying to make a basket from the saddle.

#51276 - 08/16/18 06:31 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Yeah I guess so mate, its sad though that a small amount of loud mouths can cause so much trouble.

Everyone that I know is outraged that the races are stopped as well as the locals. But the minorities still win at the end of the day.

#51297 - 08/20/18 09:44 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

Yeah I guess so mate, its sad though that a small amount of loud mouths can cause so much trouble.

Everyone that I know is outraged that the races are stopped as well as the locals. But the minorities still win at the end of the day.

Yep I agree. Maybe we'll see a change one of these days, at least I hope so.

#51298 - 08/20/18 09:45 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Got to do a little fishing with the family over the weekend. Not a lot of fish, but the ones we did catch were good ones.

Edited by Hard Knocks (08/20/18 09:46 PM)

#51299 - 08/20/18 10:03 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

They are beauty's. cool

Is that ice your sitting on? smile

#51302 - 08/21/18 12:29 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Nice catch H/K! smile

#51312 - 08/23/18 12:00 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

My last two Busse knives:

#51315 - 08/24/18 12:25 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]

My last two Busse knives:

I like that hogs-head stamp!

#51316 - 08/24/18 12:29 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

They are beauty's. cool

Is that ice your sitting on? smile

Those rocks look pretty funky now that you mention it. The river dropped fast and left a film over everything below the high water line. It rained on us the other night and we could hardly keep our feet under us it was so slick.

#51317 - 08/24/18 12:31 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Those rocks look pretty funky now that you mention it. The river dropped fast and left a film over everything below the high water line. It rained on us the other night and we could hardly keep our feet under us it was so slick.

BUT, the fish went on the bite during the storm and we were able to tag-team this 28#er.

#51320 - 08/24/18 12:53 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Wow! That is a thumper.

That picture gives the impression that your under water, great picture.

#51323 - 08/24/18 01:07 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

H/K, that's a lot of fish! shocked

#51339 - 08/26/18 02:25 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

One from 1995, I was doing an advanced rope course out in the Blue Mountains, part of this was people management so they would get a couple of us to come along and work on their beginners classes. Inevitably there was a number of early 20s people (I was only mid 20s) including the odd one or two eligible girls wink as their confidence grew I always suggested an "Australian Rappel" and there would be a few doubters that it was a thing so I would demonstrate....hence the star fish look, a little posing... wink

#51340 - 08/26/18 06:59 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Great picture, Andy.

I think I'd need my brown undies on for that job. grin

#51341 - 08/26/18 07:05 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Here's a avatar pic that Carl designed for me back in the old days. grin

#51342 - 08/26/18 07:14 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Here's an oldie from me, Taken out in the NT outback with a family that were just wandering around out there looking for a place to buy and rear their family away from the city.

I hoped they found their dream, we first thought they were broken down as he had the bonnet on the Holden station wagon up.

We were just bumming around between jobs. grin

Another pic of a ute and caravan just about to go down the Roper River in the Northern Territory, been a lot of tourists eaten by crocks on that river over the years, the river had receded a little and I was able to get a chain on them and get them going again.

#51347 - 08/27/18 07:35 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]
Die Hard Rat

Here's an oldie from me, Taken out in the NT outback with a family that were just wandering around out there looking for a place to buy and rear their family away from the city.

I hoped they found their dream, we first thought they were broken down as he had the bonnet on the Holden station wagon up.

I always thought that the bonnet up was a default position on any Holden...

I'm just gonna roll on the floor laughing until Andy gives me some stern words...
Used to own Astra... got a genuine Holden alternator that fell off the truck to get it running smoothly... (damn! where's the rolling on the floor emoticon when you need it?!?!?)

#51350 - 08/27/18 05:08 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

LOL.

I used to work for an old fella that swore if a man wanted to become successful in life he was to stay with Holden utes and Caterpillar machinery and Mack trucks. grin

#51351 - 08/29/18 03:50 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: elof_alv]

I always thought that the bonnet up was a default position on any Holden...

I'm just gonna roll on the floor laughing until Andy gives me some stern words...
Used to own Astra... got a genuine Holden alternator that fell off the truck to get it running smoothly... (damn! where's the rolling on the floor emoticon when you need it?!?!?)
.....next knife delivery you get I may send in the Prius...lets see if they arrive.... wink wink

#51362 - 08/31/18 05:23 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: elof_alv]

I'm just gonna roll on the floor laughing until Andy gives me some stern words...snip...damn! where's the rolling on the floor emoticon when you need it?!?!?)

Lol. It was worth the log-in to see elof this gleeful!! grin

Ian, it's a wonder that rig wasn't washed plumb down the river.

#51371 - 09/01/18 06:13 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Ian, it's a wonder that rig wasn't washed plumb down the river.

Yes, they were very lucky, the old fellas wife was so scared she was going to become a big salty's dinner while they were stuck there, forgetting that death would be drowning if they were washed down. laugh

#51372 - 09/01/18 07:04 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Had this fight with the Princess of Darkness when we were up in the NT, had a deep'ish crossing to make so I told her to get her seat belt off and the window down, that way if we got pushed over she would be able to get out easier...she would do neither as she was not planning on leaving the Toyota....I tried to point out that drowning would be a certainty and being eaten was still only a remote chance but she was having none of it. I did explain I would have no further conversation about it once water started filling the cabin and would be making for the bank if she chose to join me...

#51373 - 09/01/18 07:51 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

LOL. grin

It's amazing how the fear of being eaten takes prevalence over every thing else. laugh

#51374 - 09/01/18 08:34 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Yep....logic goes out the window.... !!

#51380 - 09/03/18 02:42 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Mind you, a big one often will watch the habits of people camped and lay waiting hidden and watching their movements ready for an opportunity to grab them.

There's been some slack stockmen taken that way, its not only tourists. grin

#51382 - 09/03/18 03:45 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

One of the people giving me jobs freaked out today when I sent her a Redback picture from the job and said she's getting a pest control guy in...

Given the shit that I was doing (removing a pile of various shit that the mental owner of property dumped between the fence and the house) I was happy that I didn't come across a Funnel Web spider...

I didn't enjoy getting bitten by a Red Back 15 years ago, I'd imagine it was something akin to bad acid trip (never done anything more than marijuana), so the driving back home would have been out of the question... but spiders have extremely important role in the ecosystem, so i didn't kill the girl...

However I might need to fumigate my van... somehow I managed to bring a lizard to the tip, so possibly some of the spiders might have caught the ride too...

Edited by elof_alv (09/03/18 03:46 AM)

#51385 - 09/03/18 04:42 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

There's a good chance you have a couple there. laugh

We used to bring thousands back with the rock truck, I imagine many fell off on the way down as well. grin
I was bit by a Redback at about age 8, trying to get him into a matchbox. laugh

#51387 - 09/03/18 06:33 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Some cool pictures of a Queensland scrub python swallowing a Wallaby.

#51393 - 09/03/18 11:16 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Here's my good friend Buck. He's made quite a name for himself in my part of the world, to the point that folks who don't know my name may well know his grin He's pretty popular with the local ranchers or anyone with big critter problems. Danged dogs just don't live long enough, and he's starting to show his miles. Makes me happy and sad at the same time.

Edited by Hard Knocks (09/03/18 11:16 PM)

#51394 - 09/03/18 11:33 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

It is sad to see them get old, particularly when they develop arthritis, and most working dogs do as they have spent their life active and the joints wear out.

The one I have now, I reckon will outlive me by years. grin

#51398 - 09/04/18 03:03 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
Here is a picture of my boy Murray. He is getting bigger every day. We had a good weekend at shows this past weekend. He was ready to find a couch and start snoring when we were done though!

Never Stop Trying

#51399 - 09/04/18 04:15 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

He's a beautiful animal that's for sure, people here travel miles to the dog shows, the one that's nearest to here has vehicles parked often with interstate number plates.

And some of the rigs they tow for the dogs are mobile gin palaces. grin

#51407 - 09/04/18 10:05 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Probably everyone has seen this, when Stan was put down I created a video with some of his pictures that I liked, being a first and only time, I made an amateurish mess, but parts of it turned out good. laugh

#51408 - 09/04/18 11:32 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

That is a fitting tribute for your mate Ian.

Never Stop Trying

#51409 - 09/05/18 12:28 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Drumrboy]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Thanks mate!

It is still not easy for me to watch it through. John Williamson, who is about my favorite Aussie singer doesn't help with "True Blue"

He also sang that song at Steve Irwin's farewell.

#51410 - 09/05/18 03:06 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

That's still an awesome tribute!

#51417 - 09/05/18 11:15 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Thanks Tom.

#51423 - 09/05/18 11:57 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Loving the dog pics. That tribute video is a neat idea Ian.

DB, is Murray a Chow?

Edited by Hard Knocks (09/05/18 11:58 PM)

#51425 - 09/06/18 01:19 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Nice work Ian.

#51426 - 09/06/18 05:26 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Thanks mate.

#51428 - 09/08/18 12:32 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Its well done mate. I still struggle when I see pics of a couple of mine that have passed.

#51431 - 09/08/18 01:27 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Yep, I have more trouble getting over a dog or horse than a human. grin

#51432 - 09/08/18 01:43 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

That makes two of us mate !!

#51433 - 09/08/18 04:49 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

HK, Murray is a Newfoundland.

Side note, his official registered name is Water's Edge Ancient Mariner. Murray, his call name, is an Irish name and means "Of the sea". A bit of a nod to an old poem.

Never Stop Trying

#51436 - 09/09/18 07:34 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

My dogs are named: Indy, Bear, Junior, Mingo, and Ten. But sometimes they are addressed as Shithead! laugh

#51437 - 09/10/18 12:21 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

LMAO

I used to have one called "Crunch" he was blue healer x bull terrier. grin

#51441 - 09/10/18 07:04 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

My 1 year old Rottweiler loves to chew up 2" x 4" boards...it's his favorite "toy". crazy

#51444 - 09/12/18 02:22 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Couple of sweet ones, not Rats though.

#51448 - 09/13/18 11:56 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Drumrboy]

Originally Posted By: Drumrboy
HK, Murray is a Newfoundland.

Side note, his official registered name is Water's Edge Ancient Mariner. Murray, his call name, is an Irish name and means "Of the sea". A bit of a nod to an old poem.

That's right, a Newfoundland. I remember that now. Beautiful dog DB.

#51449 - 09/13/18 11:56 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Man I like the scales on that Badger Attack Ian.

#51452 - 09/14/18 02:54 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Sweet aren't they, even Josh reckoned they were as nice as he's seen for snakeskin.

Actually it's a Jack, I think TACjack,
We might need elof on that one. laugh

#51462 - 09/14/18 06:25 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Yes it's a Jack and I think a Tac it is. The Attacking Badgers are a favourite of mine however... laugh

#51463 - 09/15/18 12:50 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Andy, here is the first Badger made.

The BA-e, they were off the market before the rest of the ergo series came out, probably around 2000 or a little earlier when they were for sale.

I have a few pictures of one in Afghanistan on my old computer somewhere, a special forces guy had it stuck into a door of an old house.
Besides being stuck in the door, it was also stuck through a block of C4. grin

He later went on to take it to Africa after his deployment.

I bought this one and a Police Recruit from a fella in New York.The BA-e came with two sheaths, an Okuden kydex and a Kenny Rowe in black leather.

And the other one that elof has.

#51471 - 09/15/18 07:52 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Nice Ian....the BAeII is a nice knife as well ! I took that BATAC of mine to Africa as well laugh

#51482 - 09/16/18 07:31 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

So if I've got this right....

The BATACs are both a little shorter and little thicker than the one of Ian's that's wearing the snakeskin? And Ian's would be called the SJTAC?

#51483 - 09/16/18 07:47 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Yes thats an SJTAC I believe. The "TAC" is the handle style that they share. I only have one take on the SJ and that is an Axehammer.

#51484 - 09/17/18 06:00 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

It is the best all round drop point I have being a great compromise between a small and large knife.

Also it feels great in the hand.

#51495 - 09/18/18 06:57 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Drumrboy]
RobStanley Offline

Loc: Straya
Originally Posted By: Drumrboy
Here is a picture of my boy Murray. He is getting bigger every day. We had a good weekend at shows this past weekend. He was ready to find a couch and start snoring when we were done though!

That's the first Murray I've seen since my Murray passed on back in 2015. And he's a nice big fella too smile Love big dogs.

#51507 - 09/18/18 11:34 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Andy the Aussie]

Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie
Yes thats an SJTAC I believe. The "TAC" is the handle style that they share. I only have one take on the SJ and that is an Axehammer.

If only one, then that tribute blade would be a dandy!

#51508 - 09/18/18 11:35 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

It is the best all round drop point I have being a great compromise between a small and large knife.

Also it feels great in the hand.

I had another gentleman on Blade say almost the same thing to me via PM about the SJTAC. Good info, and appreciated!

#51515 - 09/19/18 07:24 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Stan at a dog show with the lady that bred him, he won the his group against the other breeds in his class here, not long after that he nearly grabbed a judge that was fussing around him and was banned by the dog show association as dangerous.

I could never go with her and help as I had the rock business in those days and was far too busy.

A bunch of little Stan's.
This was taken long after Stan was gone, the breeder had frozen semen stored at a veterinary surgery.

#51516 - 09/19/18 08:03 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Look at all those little buggers !!!!!!!

#51523 - 09/20/18 05:29 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

lol. They'd be a handful wouldn't they. grin

#51525 - 09/21/18 03:59 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Those are some great looking pups! smile

#51527 - 09/21/18 01:13 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

There would be a few dollars worth of pups standing there.

#51528 - 09/21/18 02:54 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I don't know about Bull Mastiffs, but English Mastiff pups go for around $600.00 - $650.00 in this area.

#51529 - 09/21/18 04:04 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

They can go for $1500 here and up to three thousand.

#51530 - 09/22/18 08:04 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

eek Good grief! crazy

#51531 - 09/22/18 10:56 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Those little French Bulldogs are selling for $5000.00.

If you need a new cat here, you just wait for someone to dump one. grin

#51533 - 09/24/18 12:27 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

That's how we got our cats. smirk

#51540 - 09/24/18 05:35 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Same here, even Butch would have been an ancestor of a dumped one.

#51541 - 09/24/18 06:45 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I guess the county line is the favorite place for folks to dump animals; that's how we got all three cats and three of our five dogs. smirk

#51548 - 09/26/18 09:14 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Yes, its pretty bad here as well, people don't have the guts to get rid of their animals humanly.

They just throw them out of a vehicle and keep driving.

#51549 - 09/26/18 09:15 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Been Ferreting a few times. but this is a different slant on it altogether. grin

Watch how this clown does it!
A temporary Australian. laugh

#51550 - 09/26/18 10:18 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

I'm not ever going to need a rabbit bad enough to try that.

#51552 - 09/27/18 01:08 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
Why not just eat the snakes?

He threw probably 15 lbs of meat down a hole to get 2 lbs out.

Old School Rats

#51553 - 09/27/18 01:10 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

No one's ever gone broke betting on the limitless capacity for stupidity of young men.

Old School Rats

#51554 - 09/27/18 01:29 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Hello, DT. Its great to see you back, how have you been?

#51555 - 09/27/18 10:48 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Amen. smirk

#51563 - 09/28/18 08:38 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

I have been tired. Thanks for asking. With all the weather changes we've had comes migraines, swelling, joint pain, and excessive nerve pain. Some days I'd probably cut off my feet if I had the option. I've chatted with a person with my issues who did just that to get away from the pain--no regrets, surprisingly. The intensity will pass once the weather decides what season it wants to be, though, so I'll try to keep my extremities intact for now smile

It's been crazy sending my oldest off into the world. My one reassurance: he has an RMD grin

There's a sketchy guy living in the apartment (shared by 6 guys). Seems like no matter the situation, when you get a group of guys living together, one of them will inevitably be psycho. Loners don't play well with others.

The kid's picture, when they were making apartment allocations, looked normal--scrawny and somewhat nerdy even. Now he's a hulking brute who stands shirtless in front of a mirror recording video for his vlog about his workout and eating routines ("Alright guys. So I just did 200 pushups after hitting my bench press PR. Had a whey shake, and a protein bar, and I am looking NICE! Check out how ripped those pecs are!").

I'd guess the kid was probably picked on a lot as throughout elementary and high school and is now making up for lost time. Seems like a CLASSIC overcompensating bully victim.

Jonathan told me he had a "moronic" haircut. I was saying: "Please say mullet! Pleas say mullet!". Unfortunately, he described something that sounded like one of the punk-ish haircuts I had prior to going full-Mohawk, so I had to remain silent in my 1980s shame.

The major issue is that the guy walks around shirtless, and brings home different girls with whom to make out in the middle of the living room. He basically takes over the common space with his rambunctious sexscapades-light. It makes everyone else uncomfortable. It's BYU-Idaho, so there's a very strict honor and morality code--the other guys in the apartment don't want to get the boot because this guy is being a tool.

I told Jonathan that he should just go in when they're at it, make some popcorn, and watch TV (or just stare at them). He and his other housemates have started doing that. The oldest guy in the apartment (23-24 I think) told him he can't be bringing girls in and laying on top of them while they make out on the couch.

That's when he completely stopped talking to everyone else in the apartment and glowering at them whenever they say "hi." He glowers at them over breakfast. Glowers at them when passing them in the halls. Glowers at them in the shower and while they sleep (ok, that part I hope I made up).

Jonathan texted me, saying "I'm low-key afraid of this dude. He spends 8 hours a day working out and has become a total jerk to everyone here. I'm not too worried though, since I sleep with my Ratmandu next to my head at night."

Bussekin: protecting 18 year olds from the caves of Afghanistan to the dorms of Rexburg Idaho. Maybe that should be the new slogan grin

Ah. Drama.

I busted out laughing two days back when my wife--one of the most prim and proper women you'll meet--looked at me as we were discussing this and said "This guy is a real douche!"

I have NEVER heard her say ANYTHING remotely like that grin At the same time, however, truer words have never been spoken grin

Old School Rats

#51564 - 09/28/18 09:39 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

It takes all kinds to make up this world. smirk

#51570 - 09/28/18 04:25 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Crikey DT, shocked
I'm starting to feel better about leaving school at 14 after that. grin grin

#51617 - 10/16/18 12:48 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

We were only talking about spider bites the other day where elof mentioned he was bitten by a Red Back

Here's where I was bit by a White Tail spider.

Here's a six foot Red Belly black snake that bit my wife on the ugg boot.
Mind you I don't chuckle about it when she's around. grin

An Ugg boot is a ankle high sheep skin slipper/boot.
I had blown about three inches off the business end here with my shotgun.
She swears that she never stood on it, but i don't believe her. laugh
She came tearing down from her strawberry patch yelling she'd been snake bit. lol.

I can't laugh, I walked out of the house early one morning and stepped over one just as big, probably still half asleep and scratching my ass. laugh

#51621 - 10/21/18 02:05 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

The joys of living in the land of Oz! laugh

#51624 - 10/21/18 05:56 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Your pretty safe here in the bush as long as you are aware of keeping an eye out for them.
Most that get bit here are doing something stupid. laugh

#51625 - 10/22/18 06:57 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Well, you can have them! laugh

#51639 - 10/29/18 11:26 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Man alive I'd probably be dead of a heart attack before I realized I wasn't bit lol.

#51645 - 11/02/18 10:24 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

DEFINITELY need to change my shorts! eek

#51652 - 11/05/18 12:31 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Lol. grin

I once sat down under an Iron Bark and reached out for my water jug and lying beside it was a large Death Adder.
Had I been bit there would have been no hope of making it to hospital in time. I'd been knocking the bark off strainer posts that I'd cut with a sledge hammer. So much for noise making them disappear. grin

#51660 - 11/06/18 01:18 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

We were hunting a few weeks back and the gal with the tag started hollering SNAKE!! We had run a bunch of dogs over it and got it stirred up in this dry creek bed to buzz out in front of her bringing up the rear. I didn't want to go back if she was just hollering about a bull snake or some such so I hollered if it was a rattlesnake. Reply: It's a big ass rattlesnake!!!! grin

#51667 - 11/08/18 06:35 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Sounds like SHE probably needed to change her drawers! laugh laugh

I probably would too. blush

#51668 - 11/08/18 02:19 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Does the rattlesnake try to avoid you if possible? most of ours do.
Its the ones that just lay there that bother me most.

A long while back now, a mate and myself were pig catching in the swamps north west of Moree in NSW. We'd been walking through water mostly knee deep, my mate was about a quarter mile to the north of me with his dog and I was with mine. A blue cattle dog crossed with a Bull Terrier.
Mine, being shorter than my mates was having to swim a lot of the way and was getting tired. I spotted a small island just to the west of me and called the dog over to give him a spell from swimming. As soon as I stepped onto dry land I started seeing snakes, and I mean hundreds of them. grin
I grabbed the dog by his collar and stood for a while, in every direction I looked snakes were coiled up and laying over logs and laying all around the ground. They mush have all camped there on there high ground while the water was up, there were mostly red bellies, but also a bunch of western browns.
I don't usually worry about snakes as I've lived among them all my life, but that sight made my skin crawl. I couldn't get out of there quick enough.
That's the only time I've seen them in mass numbers like that and it was frightening. I had no gun, only a knife and I couldn't get out of there quick enough, grin

#51669 - 11/08/18 03:16 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Sounds like the Louisiana swamps after a storm. eek

#51671 - 11/08/18 04:13 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Sounds like the Louisiana swamps after a storm. eek

I'ts the only time I've been really scared of snakes, I have seen a western brown kill one of my dogs in less than a minute.
Even walking away from the place I was scared as I reckoned the there would be some swimming oround there as well.

Normally, I would often come across a snakeon a track, and many,many times when on a horse, but never a concentration of them like that.
Often on a horse, the horse would jump aside when coming up on a snake, so you had to be aware of that as well.
In black soil country there used to be sink holes, only a couple of inches deep, but snakes often curled up in these sink holes, another spot to watch out for them was in hay sheds, I've often founf them tucked in between the bails, a nasty feeling when loading a truck and you accidently grab hold of one when picking up the bail. laugh

#51672 - 11/08/18 09:08 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I was always careful picking up small square bales of hay for that reason. Not a concern with the tractor picking up the large round bales. wink

#51684 - 11/13/18 02:44 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I was always careful picking up small square bales of hay for that reason. Not a concern with the tractor picking up the large round bales. wink

And a damned side easier to load than the small ones. grin

We used to load 600 on the semis, all had to be packed perfectly so they didn't move on transit. Two of us loaded 1800 one hot summers day, when the last truck pulled out all we could do was lay flat out on the stack.

#51686 - 11/13/18 03:23 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Here's an old picture of Carl being inducted by Jerry at blade.
I think maybe it was blade west?

#51688 - 11/13/18 06:24 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

That MUST be an old picture!

#51696 - 11/15/18 03:25 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

That MUST be an old picture!

Yeah, I think that it was the first blade west for Busse. I bought a custom rat through proxy at that show, but can't for the life remember how long ago it was.

#51706 - 11/22/18 12:08 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Thanks for sharing that picture of Carl, Ian. Very cool picture that.

Man that snake story is going to have me feeling snaky all day lol. Our rattlesnakes out here usually try to dodge you. Usually. I have had a few pick their head up and come straight for me. I can remember one in particular that intended to get the job done, just started for me hard and fast as soon as I saw it. I was turkey hunting with a 12 gauge in my hands so it didn't end well for him, but it did give my buddy a pretty good laugh. That's the exception though as they mostly want to be left alone. What I worry about more is falling and throwing out a hand onto one inadvertently.

#51789 - 12/24/18 05:33 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I received my Urgent Fury today, so here's a few pics.

#51790 - 12/24/18 11:24 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Great pictures, Tom.
The knife ain't half bad either. grin

#51794 - 12/27/18 02:26 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I thought the knife went well with my shirt. grin

#51857 - 01/13/19 08:15 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

The Urgent Fury looks good! Man I thought maybe I had a chance in the 'name the knife' thread with Sweeping Victory. Didn't even make the top seven though lol.

#51859 - 01/14/19 07:06 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I didn't make it either, and I tried a LOT of names. crazy

#51871 - 01/21/19 05:53 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]

I didn't make it either, and I tried a LOT of names. crazy

I do like 'Last Rites' though. Reminds me of the Busse ad with the skeleton in the coffin smile

#51872 - 01/22/19 02:40 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

You have a good point. wink

#51873 - 01/22/19 03:04 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I'm still getting over not winning the naming of the Bog Dog. wink
grin

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.