header

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#51035 - 07/06/18 01:03 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Hard Knocks Online   content

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Originally Posted By: Private Klink
My son does that to me using Heddon Zara Spooks on my pond. He will nail the bass while I just keep trying. I usually switch to a plastic worm and catch up. wink

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rubber worm or twist-tail jig both put up numbers for me, too, Tom. I guess I just don't hold my mouth right when I have a spoon on the line.

#51036 - 07/06/18 01:20 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

Originally Posted By: Trumby
Back in the good old days before I retired my son-in-law used to work for me after work on my bush rock business.

Instead of pay I would put his wages into a fishing fund and add the same for myself, when we had enough we would book a weekend away on a fishing charter up to a coastal town called South West Rocks.
That included accommodation and two days deep sea fishing

The owner of the charter knew all of the best spots to get us into the action.

Here's a pic of my SIL holding up a typical fish we used to encounter.
I used to get a bit sea sick but it was worth it for the fun.

That's a beauty Ian. What specie of fish is that?

Man it's been a long time, but when I was a kid we used to go out of Garibaldi off the Oregon coast. We fished with a captain there named Ted or Ed Fisher IIRC (35 years ago...) But anyway, there was a reef there that was later named 'Fisher's Reef' for that Captain, and we caught some big ling cod there. I say 'we' but mostly it was the grown-ups as I was just a kid that wouldn't let go of my dad's coat-tail long enough to get left home. I can smell the salt air and diesel exhaust right now, as well as remember crossing the bar, lol.

The nicest day I ever spent out on the ocean was out of Newport, also off the Oregon coast. I don't think there was a foot variance in the seas that day, and we fished out of my cousin's 17-foot Boston Whaler, a small craft for what can be big water. But it was beautiful that day. Idyllic, really, the water just like glass. There were four of us fishing, and I don't think there was a time all day when one of us didn't have something on. So many days fishing when someone lays into them, but the rest struggle....not this day. We hauled in blue and black bass, capezon, ling, flounder....others that I'm forgetting I'm sure. I doubt I live long enough to see another day on the ocean like that. Thanks for spurring the memory.

Edited by Hard Knocks (07/06/18 01:22 AM)

#51039 - 07/06/18 01:41 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

Here's a few nice trout from last summer with a NMFSH for size reference.

#51040 - 07/06/18 01:43 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]

And a bunch of shovelnose sturgeon from years ago along a stretch of the Missouri River flowing through Montana. These don't get as big as white sturgeon. A 48-inch fish is very large for shovelnose in that country.

#51042 - 07/06/18 05:17 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
It's a Cobia or Black Kingfish, great fighters and a prized table fish.
Can get a good bit larger than that one.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#51043 - 07/07/18 01:47 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks
And a bunch of shovelnose sturgeon from years ago along a stretch of the Missouri River flowing through Montana. These don't get as big as white sturgeon. A 48-inch fish is very large for shovelnose in that country.

There big fish, do you catch them by set line ?

#51058 - 07/10/18 12:39 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Trumby]

Originally Posted By: Trumby
There big fish, do you catch them by set line ?

We caught all those with rod & reel. Actually I'm not sure if it's legal to use a set line there and I know we can't use one here. In other parts of the country I understand it's no problem though. I remember trying to carry/drag them from the river to the truck about 200 yards through the dark that night. That part wasn't near as fun as catching them grin

#51059 - 07/10/18 02:20 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
One of the hairiest fishing situations happened to me in Alaska in 1990. We were fishing along the Kenai river with my wife's uncle, who had flashlights for us in case it got too dark. We caught a LOT of salmon, and it indeed got very dark. My wife and I decided to go back up the hilly trail to the truck, and of course the flashlight was nearly dead. My wife said "if you will carry the fish and your .44 magnum, I will carry all the fishing gear". That was one HAIRY hike back to the truck, particularly because there were warning signs about bear activity in the area. eek

Her uncle stayed on the bank fishing all night, and he said he heard a lot of sounds that kept him wide awake all night. crazy

#51063 - 07/10/18 06:58 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

That's enough to keep you awake all week. grin

#51066 - 07/12/18 10:56 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]

Originally Posted By: Private Klink
One of the hairiest fishing situations happened to me in Alaska in 1990. We were fishing along the Kenai river with my wife's uncle, who had flashlights for us in case it got too dark. We caught a LOT of salmon, and it indeed got very dark. My wife and I decided to go back up the hilly trail to the truck, and of course the flashlight was nearly dead. My wife said "if you will carry the fish and your .44 magnum, I will carry all the fishing gear". That was one HAIRY hike back to the truck, particularly because there were warning signs about bear activity in the area. eek

Her uncle stayed on the bank fishing all night, and he said he heard a lot of sounds that kept him wide awake all night. crazy

I've got a bunch of family in Alaska. I remember on one summer visit we were headed fishing and crossed some big bear tracks on a sandbar. My dad said, awww there's nothing to worry about, they were probably made in the night. Then he got quiet for a minute. I asked him what was wrong, and he said well I just remembered it doesn't get dark this time of year grin

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.