header

Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#51645 - 11/02/18 10:24 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
DEFINITELY need to change my shorts! eek

#51652 - 11/05/18 12:31 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Lol. grin

I once sat down under an Iron Bark and reached out for my water jug and lying beside it was a large Death Adder.
Had I been bit there would have been no hope of making it to hospital in time. I'd been knocking the bark off strainer posts that I'd cut with a sledge hammer. So much for noise making them disappear. grin

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.

#51660 - 11/06/18 01:18 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
We were hunting a few weeks back and the gal with the tag started hollering SNAKE!! We had run a bunch of dogs over it and got it stirred up in this dry creek bed to buzz out in front of her bringing up the rear. I didn't want to go back if she was just hollering about a bull snake or some such so I hollered if it was a rattlesnake. Reply: It's a big ass rattlesnake!!!! grin

#51667 - 11/08/18 06:35 AM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Sounds like SHE probably needed to change her drawers! laugh laugh

I probably would too. blush

#51668 - 11/08/18 02:19 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Does the rattlesnake try to avoid you if possible? most of ours do.
Its the ones that just lay there that bother me most.

A long while back now, a mate and myself were pig catching in the swamps north west of Moree in NSW. We'd been walking through water mostly knee deep, my mate was about a quarter mile to the north of me with his dog and I was with mine. A blue cattle dog crossed with a Bull Terrier.
Mine, being shorter than my mates was having to swim a lot of the way and was getting tired. I spotted a small island just to the west of me and called the dog over to give him a spell from swimming. As soon as I stepped onto dry land I started seeing snakes, and I mean hundreds of them. grin
I grabbed the dog by his collar and stood for a while, in every direction I looked snakes were coiled up and laying over logs and laying all around the ground. They mush have all camped there on there high ground while the water was up, there were mostly red bellies, but also a bunch of western browns.
I don't usually worry about snakes as I've lived among them all my life, but that sight made my skin crawl. I couldn't get out of there quick enough.
That's the only time I've seen them in mass numbers like that and it was frightening. I had no gun, only a knife and I couldn't get out of there quick enough, grin

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.

#51669 - 11/08/18 03:16 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

Sounds like the Louisiana swamps after a storm. eek

#51671 - 11/08/18 04:13 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Private Klink
Sounds like the Louisiana swamps after a storm. eek

I'ts the only time I've been really scared of snakes, I have seen a western brown kill one of my dogs in less than a minute.
Even walking away from the place I was scared as I reckoned the there would be some swimming oround there as well.

Normally, I would often come across a snakeon a track, and many,many times when on a horse, but never a concentration of them like that.
Often on a horse, the horse would jump aside when coming up on a snake, so you had to be aware of that as well.
In black soil country there used to be sink holes, only a couple of inches deep, but snakes often curled up in these sink holes, another spot to watch out for them was in hay sheds, I've often founf them tucked in between the bails, a nasty feeling when loading a truck and you accidently grab hold of one when picking up the bail. laugh

#51672 - 11/08/18 09:08 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Die Hard Rat

I was always careful picking up small square bales of hay for that reason. Not a concern with the tractor picking up the large round bales. wink

#51684 - 11/13/18 02:44 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Private Klink
I was always careful picking up small square bales of hay for that reason. Not a concern with the tractor picking up the large round bales. wink

And a damned side easier to load than the small ones. grin

We used to load 600 on the semis, all had to be packed perfectly so they didn't move on transit. Two of us loaded 1800 one hot summers day, when the last truck pulled out all we could do was lay flat out on the stack.

#51686 - 11/13/18 03:23 PM Re: Picture and Conversation Thread [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Here's an old picture of Carl being inducted by Jerry at blade.
I think maybe it was blade west?

Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.