header

Page 9 of 20 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#48476 - 09/16/16 10:32 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Andy the Aussie Offline

I figured you might have mate wink I hunted on Goodparla Station before it became part of Kakadu. I found it amusing that Cole owned it at one point !

#49281 - 02/18/17 05:39 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Just bought a new book.

The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey
by Rinker Buck

A major bestseller that has been hailed as a “quintessential American story” (Christian Science Monitor), Rinker Buck’s The Oregon Trail is an epic account of traveling the 2,000-mile length of the Oregon Trail the old-fashioned way—in a covered wagon with a team of mules—that has captivated readers, critics, and booksellers from coast to coast. Simultaneously a majestic journey across the West, a significant work of history, and a moving personal saga, Buck’s chronicle is a “laugh-out-loud masterpiece” (Willamette Week) that “so ensnares the emotions it becomes a tear-jerker at its close” (Star Tribune, Minneapolis) and “will leave you daydreaming and hungry to see this land” (The Boston Globe).

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#49286 - 02/19/17 07:11 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
I have either walked or driven my Jeep over much of that old trail. I've seen places where they lowered stock and wagons down vertical cliffs over 50 feet high to keep going. They were a tough and hardy lot...

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#49288 - 02/19/17 11:45 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

When I purchased this book from Amazon, I searched Oregon Trail and was astounded how many books that were written on the subject.

If I enjoy this one, and I'm sure I will, I'll delve into the others and see if I can get another one or three. smile

#49290 - 02/20/17 12:01 AM Re: [Re: Trumby]
Private Klink Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Certainly looks interesting. wink

#49379 - 03/03/17 03:39 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Stocking up for winter. grin

Another new book from Amazon.

Journal Of A Trapper: Nine Years in the Rocky Mountains, 1834-1843

“Perhaps the best account of the fur trapper in the Rocky Mountains when the trade there was at its peak.” Aubrey L. Haines

In 1834, Osborne Russell joined an expedition from Boston, under the direction of Nathaniel J. Wyeth, which proceeded to the Rocky Mountains to capitalise on the salmon and fur trade.

He would remain there, hunting, trapping, and living off the land, for the next nine years.

Journal of a Trapper is his remarkable account of that time as he developed into a seasoned veteran of the mountains and experienced trapper.

In Russell’s own words he explains to the reader “if you are in search of the travels of a classical and scientific tourist, please lay this volume down, and pass on, for this simply informs you what a trapper has seen and experienced. But if you wish to peruse a hunter’s rambles among the wild regions of the Rocky Mountains, please read this”.

Russell encounters grizzly bears, hunts buffalos, trades with Native Americans and suffers from the extreme conditions of his mountainous environment. His account is written in vivid prose that transports the reader to nineteenth century Northwest America.

Of particular note are his descriptions of the landscapes in which he lived. Although it had not been designated a national park during Russell’s time, his portrayal of Yellowstone is truly breath-taking.

This is the perfect book for anyone wishing to find out more about the lives of the mountain men, what they ate, how they hunted, what shelters they used and how they survived in some of the most inhospitable conditions.

After this book was written Osborne Russell became a politician who helped form the government of the state of Oregon. He was born in 1814 in Maine. He ran away from home as a young man for a life at sea, but eventually found employment as a trapper. In 1844, he was elected to the second Executive Committee of the Provisional Government of Oregon, but after he was not re-elected he eventually went and lived in California. He died in 1892. This edition was published in 1921.

#49380 - 03/03/17 03:43 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

And another.

My Sixty Years on the Plains: Trapping, Trading, and Indian Fighting

Of course I knew how to scalp, and soon accomplished the feat, much to his satisfaction, for he said, “You are broke in now. You will do.”

Following the doctor’s orders for a change of climate, in 1842 William Hamilton found himself accompanying a party of trappers on a year-long expedition.

Heading into the wild, Hamilton would prove himself to be a fast learner, as adept with a firearm as with sign language: this early experience would be the making of him.

As the nineteenth century progressed, along with many other trappers Hamilton found himself drawn into the Indian Wars brought about by territorial expansion.

Exploring, trapping, trading and fighting, Hamilton shows how every aspect of a mountain man’s life relied on his wits and knowledge in order survive the inhospitable environments.

First published in 1905, when the experiences of such pushing, adventurous and fearless men were becoming a thing of the past, Hamilton’s unassuming memoir relates an extraordinary life in a disappearing American West.

William Thomas Hamilton (1822-1908), also known as Wildcat Bill, was a Scottish-born mountain man, trapper, and scout of the American West. Trapping from an early age, in the 1850s he became an Indian fighter and at the end of the decade established a trading post, concurrently holding a variety of jobs including county sheriff.

Albion Press is an imprint of Endeavour Press, the UK's leading independent digital publisher. For more information on our titles please sign up to our newsletter at www.endeavourpress.com. Each week you will receive updates on free and discounted ebooks. Follow us on Twitter: @EndeavourPress and on Facebook via http://on.fb.me/1HweQV7. We are always interested in hearing from our readers. Endeavour Press believes that the future is now.

#49382 - 03/04/17 12:19 AM Re: [Re: Trumby]
Private Klink Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Sounds like a couple of excellent books. smile

I recently finished another book by Tom Clancy..."The Bear and the Dragon".

#49386 - 03/04/17 12:27 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Ian-

Thanks for the suggestions. I will need a closer look at them.

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#49392 - 03/04/17 05:45 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I just checked Tom's book out, but they don't sell it in Kindle format frown

Page 9 of 20 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.