header

Page 1260 of 1355 < 1 2 ... 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 ... 1354 1355 >
Topic Options
#49090 - 01/08/17 12:02 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
ThatGuyCF Offline

Loc: Virginia
Good morning all. I just wanted to share something that happened to me this morning. Maybe it will help someone out in the future.

I got up at 5 am to go goose hunting with my younger brother and two cousins. The temps this morning were hovering around 18°F. We had gotten 8 inches of snow yesterday but my brother had ridden out and said that the roads were clear enough to go in the morning. We left and at 6:30, it happened. Going about 30 mph on a road covered in 2 inches of ice, I lost control of the truck and slid perpendicular to the road for 75m, spun around, and ended up in the ditch, less than a hand's width away from slamming into a massive oak. Myself and my cousin were unharmed but shaken up. We inspected the damage and luckily it was only a popped tire and a slightly dented back panel.

Luckily I had my InfiDu in the truck that I threw in to help setting up decoys if we needed it. The tire was stuck onto the frame pretty good. Last time the tires were rotated they had to be beaten off with a sledgehammer. I used my InfiDu to chop a branch big enough to ram against the tire and break the ice so I could change it.

A big thank you to Busse for making a knife with a good enough design that it can be carried everywhere, yet sturdy enough to be relied on in an emergency. I'm extremely thankful that we weren't injured, and while this wasn't by any means a life threatening survival situation, the InfiDu sure earned a spot in my heart forever. If you've been affected by the snow, please be safe. Only travel if you need to and if the roads are clear.

Take care all

#49091 - 01/08/17 12:12 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
ThatGuyCF-

Glad you and yours emerged unhurt.

Sounds like you made good use of a great piece of steel.

Were you able to drive outta there?

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#49094 - 01/08/17 03:07 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Glad you got out of that without anyone getting injured. Also a great knife to have handy at a time of need.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#49095 - 01/08/17 03:50 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
ThatGuyCF Offline

I was Carl. Luckily I knew the owner of the house a quarter mile down the road and was able to pull in there to assess the damage. Got the spare on, hopefully the auto body shop will be open tomorrow to check the axle and alignment to make sure there were no unseen damages.

#49099 - 01/08/17 06:42 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Last ice-related event I had was westbound on Interstate 80 in Nebraska, at North Platte. A big storm had closed I-80 in both directions all of the previous night, but it was just opened.

My CJ-7 was doing just fine until an 18 wheeler blew by and spun us out. I ended up going backwards and steered for the medan off the ice and into deep snow where I could stop.

No damage whatsoever, but I had to sit a spell to lose the shakes. Then we were on our way. We counted 50 accidents before we topped the rockies and went down into Cheyenne Wyoming.
-carl

#49101 - 01/08/17 10:33 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
ThatGuyCF Offline

This was my first accident and I'm extremely glad that it turned out to be a minor one. Makes me wonder what would've happened if the situation had taken a turn for the worse. I may need to start rethinking my every day carry gear...

#49102 - 01/09/17 11:25 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

I agree. Experience informs content ...and sometimes behavior smile

My Go Bag has evolved many times, but EDC gear remains constant.

What might you add?

-carl

#49104 - 01/09/17 11:50 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
ThatGuyCF Offline

Right now my edc gear for my person is a BM 551, Fenix PD-22 light, and a Leatherman Squirt. I tried to find a way to modify the back end of my 551 and affix a carbide glass breaker instead of carrying one separately. My truck has a seatbelt cutter, some water and snacks, and a roadside emergency kit containing duct tape, flares, bandages, etc.

I should probably keep some 550 cord in the truck as well as a small folding axe or hatchet, and a glass breaker of some sort.

A fire kit wouldn't go amiss either. I got a good amount of fatwood today. Once I clean it up I'll keep some in a Ziplock in the glove box.

Anything I'm missing? smile

#49106 - 01/09/17 01:20 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Sounds fine to me- I think this is highly personal and over the years modified mine based upon someone else's input ...only to find I gravitated back to my own style.

I EDC a BM Contego 810 (non-serrated),Swamp-Rat Warden, ARC-P (triple A), swiss-Tech Pliers, Fishing kit (1/2 X 1 X 1 1/2 box with #16 treble hooks, leader and Spyderwire line), Firesteel (The tiny boyscout size), analog watch (doubles as a compass) Victorinox sharpening steel, P-38 (Can opener from back in the day), small tin of Burt's Bees Lip Balm (great for adding to cotton to start fires) and a cell-phone or 2-meter radio.

I add to that list with bolt-on, snap-on, belt-on or hook on stuff depending upon my activities (Glock, Contender, Assorted Busse / Swamp-Rat blades).

Fatwood needs to breathe a bit- always have some in my Jeep- but I never put it in plastic, along with a poncho and wool blanket in summer adding a sleeping bag in winter. I also always have a high-lift jack, chains (Cut down 18 wheeler) and a 13K pound winch with 125' of 3/8 aircraft cable. Also in the Jeep are a 20' 30,000 pound rescue strap, 30' of chain and #0 Jumper cable 25' long as well as assorted tools and spare parts.

A bag of Jerky hangs by the door next to my coat. I may grab one or both on the way out.

-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (01/09/17 01:26 PM)

#49116 - 01/09/17 10:32 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
I think you meant a coat is in the way of your bag of jerky. Don't let that stand!

Old School Rats

Page 1260 of 1355 < 1 2 ... 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 ... 1354 1355 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.