header

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47970 - 07/10/19 07:28 PM Re: Lets see some Guns [Re: Trumby]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
Andy, did you have problems with your 30-30 Trapper from new? mine came with a front blade sight that was too short, anything under 100 yards shot too high.
I ended up getting Thornton Gun shop to send away for another front sight before I could use it confidently with open sights.

Donít bother walking a mile in my shoes that would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head, thatíll freak you right out.

#47971 - 07/10/19 08:01 PM Re: Lets see some Guns [Re: Trumby]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
My .303 Jungle Carbine pictured above with the pup, stayed with me for more years than I care to remember, I bought it from Mick Smith's gun store in George street Sydney with some ammo and a Puma hunting knife.
Mick picked me out a good one as they were like buying a lottery ticket, all classed as second hand, but many had never been fired. With it"s 18" barrel I was able to roll it up in my swag with some ammo, as the swags were thrown onto the back of a truck to be transported wherever. and I used that rifle on anything from sparrows to Buffalo. grin
Ammo was free on the big stations, providing you had a Three 'O' Three laugh

Daily use was for getting a killer (bullock) for the camps or the head station. We would kill at least once a week. I shot so many pigs with that rifle it would be almost unbelievable. most were for blood samples for Brucelosis and Tuberculosis testing. Some for just the hell of it, because they were big buggers. laugh I was often sent out for a couple of weeks to shoot pigs for blood samples.
A guesstimate of weight in kilos, sex of the pig and approximate area it was shot had to noted on the vial supplied, it was just a small cut in the neck and let the blood trickle in until the vial was full.
Also after a muster cattle were tested for Brucelosis by the stock squad, any reactors had to be shot in the yards before dismantling the yards for the next camp.
The number was agreed on and paperwork given to the head stockman as the government paid $110.00 a head compensation. Anywhere up to 200 head were destroyed in an area muster.

I often ground the points flat on the military ammo that we were supplied as they ended up a better killing round, I would grind them until the lead core was exposed.

Accuracy didn't seem to be compromised by grinding them either.

Donít bother walking a mile in my shoes that would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head, thatíll freak you right out.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.