header

Page 1209 of 1212 < 1 2 ... 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 >
Topic Options
#47813 - 06/10/19 04:55 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
My mate complained that Coopers were too hard for sealed roads (just about what Ian describes), but brilliant offroad

#47814 - 06/10/19 02:12 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
I think weight displacement has lot to do with it as well, my truck being a tray top is mostly empty, loaded is a whole different ball game, whereas Andy's being a wagon more weight is over the rear wheels.
My truck behaved much better with a load of rock on the back with the Maxxis tyres.

I noticed Andy has the duel batteries under the bonnet, i don't think that's standard, very handy to have in the bush, I also have the second battery on mine, only it's mounted in the front left toolbox, a 200a/h, great for backup, I also have a 600 watt inverter with it.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, worn out, shouting 'holy $hit what a ride'! cool

#47816 - 06/10/19 09:13 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
I just put a set of Coopers on my half-ton chevy. I think they are the Discoverer S/T Maxx tires IIRC. First set of Coopers I've tried. They handle great on black top, dirt and gravel. I was afraid they may throw a lot of gravel but that doesn't seem to be the case. They may not prove to be aggressive enough in the mud for me, but otherwise I have been pleased thus far. The tread looks about like the spare tire on the back of Andy's ride.

#47817 - 06/11/19 05:10 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Andy the Aussie Online   content

They are Cooper ST Maxx, leaning toward a more offroad tyre but they are not noisy and stick in the wet. I am on my third set of Coopers and someone will need to twist my arm to try something else given the run I have had from them !!! I had some Hankook tyres on my 62 Series truck and got rid of them for the same reason you did your Maxxis. Downright dangerous in the smallest of rain !!

I have to change the hubs out on my trailer and collect some 5 Stud Rims for it so I can again match the trailer to the truck. I will run a +50 offset on the wagon when I change to steel rims (alloy are pretty but I like to be able to do a hammer repair in the arse of nowhere should I need) but can keep a 0 offset on the trailer and still run a truck spare in a pinch. The hubs are FAR less costly than I had anticipated !!

I will find some rims on Gumtree (like Craig's List here in Oz for you from the nether lands) for less than 100 and the Coopers on the trailer can then swap over.

#47818 - 06/11/19 05:16 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Trumby]

Originally Posted By: Trumby
I noticed Andy has the duel batteries under the bonnet, i don't think that's standard, very handy to have in the bush, I also have the second battery on mine, only it's mounted in the front left toolbox, a 200a/h, great for backup, I also have a 600 watt inverter with it.
yep he put some $s into that battery system (about $1200 from the receipts he gave me with it). Out on the left there is a battery management box, keeps both batteries charged (giving preference to the cranking battery) and allows charging from the alternator, an external charger or a solar panel. I have to figure the later out and will buy a soft folding solar blanket (about 200w output)to have for those times it is parked up and the battery is getting used (fridge !!).

#47820 - 06/11/19 07:32 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Mine is set up the same way, it is a Red-Ark, been there about 9 years and never been a problem.

I have a small Engle fridge, old as buggery and always works. Mostly use the inverter for a few power tools.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, worn out, shouting 'holy $hit what a ride'! cool

#47821 - 06/11/19 06:42 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]

My fridge is a Dometic, it's a Three Way and is HARD on 12V when the vehicle is not running (it will freeze though !). If I am stopped/camped I normally get it out and find a shady spot for it and set it up on gas. I can get around 7 days out of a 2.5kg gas bottle as long as I remember to shut it off at night. In summer I take the 3kg bottle and it was run 24/7 on that for a week.

#47822 - 06/11/19 06:48 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]

Yesterday I was feeling a bit human (but did too much and screwed that up) so could not help but playing around with the truck.

Added a swinging registration plate bracket (as when fitted normally the plate cover 1/2 of the recess where the winch fairlead will be bolted) and some LED replacements for the ARB fog lights. The LEDs better illuminate a track at slow speeds when you you need to see what is RIGHT THERE in front of you and not 500m away laugh

Plate down...

Plate up...

Also swapped out the guts of one of the cabin lights with an LED upgrade kit (Lightforce Ian, like the driving and spot lights)...

....what a hell of a difference....!! Came inside last night after taking that pic and order up another kit for the back light !!

I am pacing up and down waiting on the courier who is due today with my cargo barrier. Once that arrives I will drop the truck off to have the winch, driving lights, fridge and rear light power and barrier installed.

#47823 - 06/12/19 03:10 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Bet you're looking forward to getting it all finished how you want it. laugh

What seats are you wanting?

#47824 - 06/12/19 06:47 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Yup, the LEDs make a huge difference!

Feeling better Andy?

Page 1209 of 1212 < 1 2 ... 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.