header

Page 55 of 57 < 1 2 ... 53 54 55 56 57 >
Topic Options
#47698 - 05/30/16 11:29 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
MtnRat Offline

Loc: Arid-Zona
I was reading through this and realized i had forgotten to post my elk from late season muzzleloader!
Heres the story:

Couldn't sleep for the past week awaiting this day, opening muzzleloader season.
Got lucky and drew my first tag for muzzleloader.

Woke up like five times last night! So excited.

Finally rolled out of bed at 345... Showered, got the last of my stuff together.... Got to my friends house at 445.

Loaded up, drove 40 minutes, unloaded his big ranger. Loaded out gear and headed out.
Had a couple good bulls scouted from weeks before.
Sneaked into my spot...nothing there..... Glassed 40minutes...no elk...

Finally spotted a couple bulls over a mile away.
Walked half way there and decided one bull was good enough to pursue.

Hiked half a mile up a ridge and came in on top of him. Sat down on a huge rock bluff, ranged him at 176.... Perfect!

He was feeding with 2 other bulls....the wind swirled, one small bull put his nose in the air and took off.... I was already on the bull I wanted, but he was behind a bush...waiting for him to take 2 more steps.... Instead, he put his nose in the air... That's a bad sign, I had to shoot him now or let him go... He was about to bolt.... I breathed a slow breath and held tight... Bam! The 50cal thundered across the giant Basin! Shhhhmack! I heard the 300 grain hornady hollowpoint find its target!
The bull lurched forward, then turned and walked downhill about 20 yards. Then laid down and that was that..... Died in about 10 seconds.

I was incredibly excited! Tried to load another load, and the wind was hooking so fast, it blew about ten grains of powder out!

My buddy and I took off towards the bull.

My other friend made his way 30 minutes worth of hiking down into the basin to get his hands on the bull. magnificent creatures, these monarchs of the forest.
We snapped a few pics, then began skinning and quartering the animal out.
An hour later we began the arduous trek out of the basin. 2 hours later I got the head and one backstraps out, my friend took one hind quarter.

We rested a bit then went back for the rest of the neck, tenderloins, backstraps and other hind quarter and 2 front quarters.

I've never hiked so far with so much weight on my back through such a nasty, Rocky, thicket of bushes and trees in my life! It took everything I physically had for another 2 hours to get the rest of that elk back up to the quads. I mean literal muscle failure exhaustion for hours and hours.!! Heck it was fun!
Shot the bull at 830 am, got him finally loaded into quad at 430 for the ride out.

Thank goodness for my friend, or I'd still be out there!
I am whooped ass tired!

We got the bull to the processor, and went to my buddy's house to drink and eat some fresh elk tenderloin..... Oh brother was that well earned nutrition! Tasty, tasty nutrition!

So happy, and so exhausted....

Just thought I'd share.

#47699 - 05/30/16 11:47 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
MtnRat- Great story and NICE Bull! Thanks for sharing that.

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#47700 - 05/30/16 02:26 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

That is a heck of a bull and great story. I am sure you will be telling that one till the day you die. COngrats.

#47704 - 05/30/16 06:19 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
Congratulations MtnRat, I loved the story of your adventure, and the pictures of that bull speaks for itself.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Ian.

Donít bother walking a mile in my shoes that would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head, thatíll freak you right out.

#47716 - 05/31/16 06:24 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: MtnRat]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Originally Posted By: MtnRat
I was reading through this and realized i had forgotten to post my elk from late season muzzleloader.....Just thought I'd share.

Glad you did share, that's a great hunt! And look at the whale tail on that sucker. Congrats man.

#47721 - 06/01/16 12:07 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
MtnRat Offline

Loc: Arid-Zona
Thanks guys! I'm pretty proud of him, and a freezer full of tasty protein is awesome!

#47729 - 06/01/16 10:44 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: MtnRat]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Originally Posted By: MtnRat
Thanks guys! I'm pretty proud of him, and a freezer full of tasty protein is awesome!

That is the part that is bothering me... Almost no Elk in the freezer, and not enough wild meat overall to suit me. Guess I'll have to supplement with hog and other small game.

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#47780 - 06/01/19 07:32 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Andy the Aussie Offline

Damn....saw Carl was the last poster but didn't look at the date...

#47783 - 06/01/19 09:48 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Yeah, it got me in for a minute as well. grin 3 years of pictures and hunting stories gone. We'll have to dig up some more, I guess.

Donít bother walking a mile in my shoes that would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head, thatíll freak you right out.

#47804 - 06/08/19 01:49 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie

frown

Page 55 of 57 < 1 2 ... 53 54 55 56 57 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.