header

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#47217 - 04/06/16 05:29 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Thanks Tom, I'm pretty sure that I haven't seen the old one as well.

Sometimes I sit and wonder why Iím not in a mental asylum ... then I take a look around me and realize maybe I already am.

#47219 - 04/06/16 09:17 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
ThatGuyCF Offline

Loc: Virginia
Here's just a short mix of both my favorite quick and long reads. The Hatchet series by Gary Paulsen, The Rifle by Gary Paulsen, A Painted House by John Grisham, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, the Alex Cross series by James Patterson, Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingles Wilder, and any of the Hardy Boys books are a great bet!

#47232 - 04/08/16 02:14 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Sometimes I sit and wonder why Iím not in a mental asylum ... then I take a look around me and realize maybe I already am.

#47236 - 04/08/16 08:14 PM Re: [Re: Trumby]
Private Klink Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
I'm presently reading "The Blackout Wars" and "Electric Armageddon"; both dealing with EMP and its effects.

#47238 - 04/09/16 10:39 AM Re: [Re: Private Klink]
RPN Offline

Originally Posted By: Private Klink
I'm presently reading "The Blackout Wars" and "Electric Armageddon"; both dealing with EMP and its effects.

That cannot be good!

I just picked up a book by Isabelle Allende.

Was really hoping to see if there was anything new by Carl Hiaasen- if you guys have never ready his books, grab them! He does these quasi mysteries that are just HILARIOUS!! He is from Florida and just crazy and his books are laugh out loud funny. He has a number of the same characters, so I would suggest starting at his first novel.

Edited by RPN (04/09/16 10:45 AM)

#48470 - 09/15/16 05:11 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Kings in Grass Castles
Mary Durack
Read by Jenny Seedsman
Winner TDK Australian Audio Book of the Year Awards 1997
"One of the greatest biographies of an Australian pioneering family ever written." ó The North Australian Monthly

When Patrick Durack left Ireland for Australia in 1853, he was to found a dynasty of pioneers, and build an empire of cattle-land across the great stretches of Australia. His grand-daughter, Mary Durack, with a profound sense of family history, has rebuilt the saga of the Duracks, a saga that is the story of Australia itself, huge, pioneering, and tremendous in concept.

I've always wanted to read this book, but have never got around to it.
Just borrowed it from our local library in audio, via download, so I just have to sit back and listen. grin

#48471 - 09/15/16 05:17 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

The Waddi Tree
Kerry McGinnis
Read by Humphrey Bower
"The most evocative and moving account of a childhood in the Australian bush since The Road to Coorain." ó Australian Country Style Magazine
"McGinnis has the eye of a painter; she writes as she sees and the land comes alive." ó The Weekend Australian

Two branches of the McAllister family lead very different lives on cattle stations in Central Australia. Rob, a stickler for correctness, manages a wealthy, company-owned property while his easygoing brother Sandy struggles to support his wife and son on an impoverished leasehold. When tragedy throws the families together, ultimately driving them even further apart, it's Sandy's young son Jim who suffers the most. Left to rebuild his shattered world, he falls back on the larger-than-life station characters and the comfort of horses. This is tough country, where personal hardship is kept in perspective by drought, fire and isolation. The times are just as unforgiving, and as the years pass, Jim discovers that he must pay for his father's mistake as well as his own. Yet this harshly beautiful land is full of promise, a source of strength to Jim on his road from innocence to independence.

All I need to do now is find somewhere to hide from the missus and enjoy some quality listening. grin

#48472 - 09/15/16 05:35 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

And one last one. grin

In the Middle of Nowhere
Terry Underwood
Read by Terry Underwood
Bestseller
International bestseller
"This is a modern adventure story, inspirational and enthralling." ó The Times

This remarkable journey of a young city convert following her man and his dream to the back of beyond involves the listener with rare intimacy. In one of the most remote locations in the world, you share their hopes and heartaches, joys and laughter, with emotions as deep as the love of Terry and John Underwood. This audiobook transports you to the real outback, and is as vast, dramatic and inspiring as the land that lies at the heart of this unforgettable book.

#48473 - 09/16/16 04:22 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Andy the Aussie Online   content

Hell West and Crooked is another good one Ian.

#48474 - 09/16/16 04:58 AM Re: [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie
Hell West and Crooked is another good one Ian.

Andy, I have everything Tom Cole wrote

When he mentions a young Bill Cousins, I worked in one of his camps in the early eighties.
He was a little old man by then.
Sara Stora wrote and sung a song about him also, Buffalo Bill, (Aussie version.) grin

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.