Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#42035 - 03/16/15 11:02 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Seal team 10 has a legacy:

Demonstration of the tenet: The team is greater than the sum of its parts.

Sadly, Few are ever part of such a team.

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#42038 - 03/16/15 01:16 PM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

Yes I have read that one. Also a very good read.

#43839 - 06/17/15 12:14 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Reading a new one and its a beauty!

The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge by Michael Punke

Their bringing a movie out on it next year, About a trapper left for dead by his mates, he survived.

Page 1.

THEY WERE ABANDONING HIM. The wounded man knew it when he looked at the boy, who looked down, then away, unwilling to hold his gaze.
For days, the boy had argued with the man in the wolf-skin hat. Has it really been days? The wounded man had battled his fever and pain, never certain whether conversations he heard were real, or merely by-products of the delirious wanderings in his mind.
He looked up at the soaring rock formation above the clearing. A lone, twisted pine had managed somehow to grow from the sheer face of the stone. He had stared at it many times, yet it had never appeared to him as it did at that moment, when its perpendicular lines seemed clearly to form a cross. He accepted for the first time that he would die there in that clearing by the spring.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#43840 - 06/17/15 09:24 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

Sounds like a great book. I will have to check it out.

#47154 - 03/30/16 12:33 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Weathers cooling and time to get out my battle scared kindle for a new book. grin

Its about one of Americas most prestigious horse trainers, only just got thought the introductions so far.

The Faraway Horses

The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen

By Buck Brannaman, Bill Reynolds (With), William Reynolds

Published In: United States, 01 February 2005
Telling the story of Buck Brannaman's life, this book gives horse owners the keys to understanding their animals. Buck Brannaman is a horse gentler - not a horse "breaker" - who has started more than 10,000 young horses in his clinics. Buck Brannaman's method of training focuses on communicating with horses, reading their body language and making them feel safe so that horse and rider can achieve a true union and in this book, he shares the knowledge he has cultivated over a lifetime. He also provides a behind-the-scenes glimpse of Robert Redford's movie "The Horse Whisperer", for which he was the technical advisor.
About the Author

Buck Brannaman is a horse gentler - not a horse "breaker" - who has started more than 10,000 young horses in his clinics. He lives with his wife Mary and their three daughters in Sheridan, Wyoming. William Reynolds is the associate publisher of Cowboys & Indians magazine and lives with his family in Santa Ynez, California.
Reviews

'Buck Brannaman is part of a lineage of skilled horsemen, and for the horses he works with, it is about trust and understanding, not submission." - Robert Redford "When it comes to horses, Buck Brannaman is part guru, part psychologist, and all cowboy. He's a 19th-century man in a 21st-century world, and his life is at once inspirational and instructive." - Tom Brokaw "I've started horses since I was 12 years old and have been bit, kicked, bucked off and run over. I've tried every physical means to contain my horse in an effort to keep from getting myself killed. I started to realize that things would come much easier for me once I learned why a horse does what he does. This method works well for me because of the kinship that develops between horse and rider. Horses and life, it's all the same to me." - Buck Brannaman

#47161 - 03/30/16 11:10 AM Re: [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Ian-

These folks are amazing in what they do and how they do it. There is a fella I see regularly working horses near my place. I love watching him work and can spend hours there- it has become, at least partially, my pastime. I envy some of his skills.

I hope you enjoy that book.

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#47162 - 03/30/16 06:15 PM Re: [Re: Carl Theile]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Ian, that story is about real-life Mountain Man Hugh Glass, and the boy who abandoned him was future great Mountain Man Jim Bridger. When Hugh caught up to him, he decided that Bridger was too young to deserve killing and therefore spared him. The other fellow had joined the Army, so Hugh didn't bother with seeking his revenge. But it sure gave him a reason to persevere! wink

#47164 - 03/30/16 07:42 PM Re: [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Private Klink
Ian, that story is about real-life Mountain Man Hugh Glass, and the boy who abandoned him was future great Mountain Man Jim Bridger. When Hugh caught up to him, he decided that Bridger was too young to deserve killing and therefore spared him. The other fellow had joined the Army, so Hugh didn't bother with seeking his revenge. But it sure gave him a reason to persevere! wink

Tom, that is an awesome book, I enjoyed every bit of it. I'd like to see the movie as well when I get a chance.

#47165 - 03/30/16 07:47 PM Re: [Re: Carl Theile]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile
Ian-

These folks are amazing in what they do and how they do it. There is a fella I see regularly working horses near my place. I love watching him work and can spend hours there- it has become, at least partially, my pastime. I envy some of his skills.

I hope you enjoy that book.

-carl

Carl,
I'm just getting into the book and starting to enjoy it. The two brothers had it tough, their father used to make them stand against a fence and hang onto the rail while he flogged them with a stock whip.

And I used to grumble about my father being tough, he only used a tree branch. grin

#47168 - 03/31/16 12:53 AM Re: [Re: Trumby]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Ian, "The Revenant" is basically a re-make of the 70's movie "Man in the Wilderness" starring Richard Harris as the Hugh Glass character..."Zak Bass" in the movie. I hope to see the new one when it's available on DVD. smile

Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.