header

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46741 - 02/20/16 10:55 PM Essential kit
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
We all have discussed essential items for EDC or for a BOB (that we actually carry every day).

What are the top five items in your kit and why?

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#46743 - 02/21/16 12:30 PM Re: Essential kit [Re: Carl Theile]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

OK, I'll start:

A Blade is obvious. I favor an edge between 6 and 7.5 inches, usually opting for my Natural Outlaw or RMD. As I also EDC a Game Warden (for smaller tasks) either will do.

Why: shelter, ease in firemaking and (DRY) wood gathering, making traps, cleaning game (I am a fair trapper and have used snares / deadfalls all my life).

Some form of line / rope / twine
- usually a spider-wire line (like Kevlar, Spectra, Dyneema, or Zylon.

Why: While a large number of fibers can be found and manipulated into rope or twine, this takes time I might not have. Why my choice? Strong enough to build a shelter, small enough to use as fishing line or suture wounds. I no longer use 550 cord, though absent my first choice I would use it.

A 1 liter pot

Yes, there are alternatives. Again, to save time.

Fire steel (or similar)

To make fire, purify water, cook meat, keep warm, etc.

Vet wrap or duct tape (or Gorilla tape)

Vetrap 4'' Bandaging Tape is the first choice in self-adherent wraps, preferred by the majority of professional horse trainers and veterinarians. Its layers “bond” together to provide superior support bandages that stay put for the strongest holding power, better fit and conformity to reduce risk of slipping and strength where it matters.

Made a splint of that and bark to stabilize a broken tibia for a long walk out...

-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (02/21/16 12:33 PM)

#46753 - 02/21/16 08:35 PM Re: Essential kit [Re: Carl Theile]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
I'll need to think some about my essentials these days, but not too different to you Carl.
My old quart pot is packed in a steel trunk with my saddle and bridle.
Mt tote is really stashed in my truck, and I don't get too far away from that.
But I have a small pot and a little gas stove that takes the gas cartridges, some tea and other makings to get by if needed.

My first aid kit and tools are locked in a stainless locker under the truck. also my water tank mounted under the tray. an assortment of good knives always accompany me as well. smile

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#46767 - 02/23/16 04:58 PM Re: Essential kit [Re: Carl Theile]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

Basic 11, Vex, Rat Trap- I figure with this combo I can pretty much do everything that I need to do.

Two bottles of water- I have instant clean water for drinking or washing out a wound. Plus I have the ability to store more water that have purified.

550 cord- But now that I have read Carls reasoning for spider wire it has me rethinking.

Titanium cup- for cooking and purifying water.

First aid kit- I tend to go places that can get you hurt real bad if you screw up.

#46771 - 02/23/16 08:52 PM Re: Essential kit [Re: Carl Theile]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
I carry a knife. Usually a Spyderco Manix 2. This knife has proved its worth over the past 5 years or so.

Tape of some type. Gaff tape the majority of the time. Gaff tape is similar to duct tape but fabric based instead of plastic based.

First aid kit. The items in that kit revolve a bit, but the basics are always in there. I vary it a bit based on the time of year and where I'm going.

Some sort of line. Either fishing line or tie line. Tie line is similar to a wax coated cotton 550 line. It holds a knot incredibly well and you can strip the center fibers out if needed.

Never Stop Trying

#46773 - 02/23/16 11:54 PM Re: Essential kit [Re: Joshua R.]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Joshua R.

550 cord- But now that I have read Carls reasoning for spider wire it has me rethinking.

That's good stuff and I got it from Carl as well off an old thread. I now carry a roll of 40 pound braid in my tool box.

Also a roll of duct tape, and a roll of horse bandage (bright red) grin

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#46792 - 02/25/16 09:54 AM Re: Essential kit [Re: Carl Theile]
TGPB Offline

Loc: Deep in the Woods of Idaho
After tracking a wounded Elk on a warm Fall day I discovered that a couple bottles of water is not enough. After 10 miles into my 16 mile journey I was out of water. I was standing next to a creek with cool water flowing but I did not dare take a drink. There were fresh signs that a herd of range cattle had been there earlier that day. I decided right then and there I was not going to go thirsty again.

I started researching compact alternatives for my hunting pack. I chose the Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System. It takes very little room in my pack, smaller than a 16 oz water bottle, and has several options for drinking water from just about any water source.

I'm so impressed with this set-up I got all my son-in-laws and nephews a kit for Christmas.

Edited by TGPB (02/25/16 09:11 PM)
Edit Reason: misspelled word

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

#46793 - 02/25/16 10:44 AM Re: Essential kit [Re: Carl Theile]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

TGPB welcome to the forum. Second, That ia a great suggestion. I have used a number of larger filtration systems on week long adventures. I have yet to try the smaller ones. May have to look into one of those for my next outing.

#46813 - 02/26/16 01:08 PM Re: Essential kit [Re: Carl Theile]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
TGPB Welcome to the Swamp. Those little systems are dang handy to have in your pack. Good suggestion.

Never Stop Trying

#46819 - 02/27/16 03:16 PM Re: Essential kit [Re: Carl Theile]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

TGPB-

Great suggestion. Huge potential value for very little cost, and as hydration is critical, could play a key role.

-carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.