header

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#44651 - 08/08/15 02:31 AM Africa preparations...
Andy the Aussie Online   content

So in about 10 days I will be jumping onto the big tin bird to fly to Africa for a couple + weeks. Some time in SA looking at things and taking pics and 10 days on Mozambique hunting.

As I am getting down to the wire it was time to get the rifle squared away, shot, zeroed and readied. So I took a quick 8hr drive west of Sydney to try and kick back a gear and make sure all was well.

As some other guys were on the property at the same time as me I elected to stay in the Shearer's Quarters as opposed to the old homestead I normally do. They are basic but comfortable.

The block closest to the camera is the kitchen, the next are 3 x 2 bed rooms and the last is the shower block.

Given it was about zero degrees most nights I spent a good portion of time in the kitchen near the wood stove before racing to my bunk and sleeping bags...

Sunrise looking almost directly out the kitchen door ...

And the point of the exercise...

The .375 is shooting like a dream, three round cloverleaf groups the downside is that it looks like I got a bad batch of Remington primers as I had 6 duds in 35 rounds !! Second and third hits didn't get them to go bang nor did pulling them down and loading then in another case and trying a different rifle. Most disconcerting given the propensity of some critters in Africa to kill. The rifle religiously capped off another 50 factory and other loads after so that does not appear to be an issue. Got home and tried some primed cases (same batch of primers) and sure enough a few more duds.

Pulled everything down and reloaded with Federal LR Magnums. Tested some primed cases as well. Hopefully that is that.

Just before I left I also collected my stripped Busse DSSF back from elof_alv sporting the new slimline sheath he made for me....

I have to finish cleaning the blade though. While the decarb layer makes for a nice look it is happily rusting away.

So now the rifle is cleaned and checked and I have started packing all my odds and sods for the trip...

BTW.... you just have to LOVE "Emma" in this news story...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/enviro...0-1227475196520 wink wink

#44652 - 08/08/15 06:09 PM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Its a good job you found out about the faulty primers early, it would be a bummer to have one malfunction on the big day.

I'm looking forward to the pictures all ready.

That lion story sure has provided fodder for the animal libbers, I feel story for the dentist as he has been made the scape goat, when all he really has done is paid for an expensive trip believing everything was above board.

btw, Is there any problems taking your own rifle and ammo to Africa and return?

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#44653 - 08/08/15 06:30 PM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]

Yeah it was a lucky save with the ammunition mate. The first one that went "click" not "BOOM" made me take a moment.... when three more in the next five did the same I was almost sick...!!! Funny thing is I zeroed it the morning before and then hunted all afternoon with it (without firing a shot). The failed rounds were in the rifle and my ammunition slide while I was hunting !!

No great issue taking the rifle in and out of the three involved countries...

For here....

I need to register as a customer with Customs, I need an export approval from them (any kind of export) and a specific export approval from the Dept of Defence for the rifle and ammunition (it is a Defence document but approved by Customs at the same time as the export permit). On departure I have the rifle, registration certificae and my licence inspected by Customs at the airport. I also need an approval from Qantas to fly with ammunition.

On return to Australia I need a form B709A that is a Customs document identifying that NSW Police have no issue with me possessing that firearm and ammunition back here in NSW. Again it is all inspected on arrival.

For there...

On arrival in South Africa, once I have collected the rifle, I get through immigration and then attend the SA Police office at the airport and have a licence granted for the period I am there (including both ends of the trip. Same procedure in Mozambique on arrival (except in Moz it cost me $US200 up front for the licence).

Andy

#44658 - 08/08/15 08:49 PM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Andy-
I agree- great catch on the ammo... I would rather hear about your trip from you than some news hog.

BYW- that going and coming could be worse.

Some folks make you ship the firearm and ammo ...then you get to worry if it will be there upon your arrival...

Have a great trip.

-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (08/08/15 08:49 PM)

You are not out of options until you quit.

#44666 - 08/09/15 12:53 AM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Hard Knocks Online   content

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Hate to hear about those bad primers. Doesn't take much of that to make a guy jumpy. I got a bad batch of factory ammo one time and found out in the middle of a mountain lion hunt.

Bought two boxes, sighted in, did a little coyote hunting, no problems. Broke into the second box, ran a lion to ground in a cave, three bad primers in a row. By the fourth round I was about ripping the trigger off the dang thing, amazing the shot went true. Those are the 'lion eyes' in my avatar pic. The real photo is in my avatar on Blade, and I did some kind of photo effect to get the one I use here. Snapped the pic BEFORE I knew I had a problem, ha! I was a little shaky after the dust cleared. Reloads with CCI primers have treated me well since then.

Can't wait to hear about your adventures Andy. I hope it all goes off smooth as silk, mate.

#44673 - 08/09/15 10:33 AM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
I just wish all of the anti-hunters had to harvest their own meat for a year or so... that said, I've not much respect for the dentist or his "guide" if the stories are true.

Where I am on this issue now is, that I never hunt trophies- I'd rather they live to improve the gene-pool. I hunt lesser critters and think the wolf has the right idea: Keep the herd strong.

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#44675 - 08/09/15 12:44 PM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
Good catch on the primers Andy. I've run into more bad Remington primers than I have with CCI or Federal. I like their bench rest primers, but unreliability isn't worth the not knowing factor...especially on a hunt where the game would just as easily charge you.

Good luck on the hunt. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Never Stop Trying

#44680 - 08/09/15 06:07 PM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I've never used Remington primers, I've reloaded shotgun rounds for many years using Winchester without a problem.
I have seen primer fails at the gun clubs over the years though. The most common at the gun club is seeing someone's gun go pop and the shot dribble out of the barrel, then asking if anyone has a rod handy, to remove the wad. grin

I'm currently using up a 1000 round box of Federal primers without mishap so far.

#44740 - 08/16/15 04:31 AM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]

Well I am pretty much packed. Fly out Tuesday morning but I am pretty much at the point of only needing to put the rifle in the case and lock it up now. Phew...!!!

Get a haircut tomorrow, pick up some bug repellent and I will call it good..!!!!!

#44741 - 08/16/15 05:33 AM Re: Africa preparations... [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Have a good trip, Andy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.