header

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#43342 - 05/26/15 11:09 AM Re: Jerky making/recipes [Re: Trumby]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Ian- Before you purchase one, have a look at THIS .

If I did not have, or did not want to fire-up the woodstove, I would build this reasoning that if it is too warm to have a fire it is warm enough to dehydrate...

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#43358 - 05/26/15 07:59 PM Re: Jerky making/recipes [Re: Trumby]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
That looks easy enough to build, its a big sucker though. grin

Our wood fire is a combustion heater, it has provision for keeping a coffee pot or to keep a pot of stew heated on top, but other than that it is closed in with a glass fronted door.

If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

#43392 - 05/27/15 11:09 AM Re: Jerky making/recipes [Re: Trumby]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Trumby
That looks easy enough to build, its a big sucker though. grin

Our wood fire is a combustion heater, it has provision for keeping a coffee pot or to keep a pot of stew heated on top, but other than that it is closed in with a glass fronted door.

Same as ours. I might be tempted to build something similar after we get settled. Looking to move to higher and wetter locales. I favor 4-6 thousand feet where snow is a given in winter, and cedar is giving way to fir and pine. Fall would still have enough sun to dehydrate meat. Likely to build a smoker as well. Most likely more off-grid than I am now, there will be little opportunity for any other type of dehydrator.

-carl

#43405 - 05/27/15 05:59 PM Re: Jerky making/recipes [Re: Trumby]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

My bags of jerky turned up yesterday, so far I've only tried the roo, and it was very good.

It say's to keep in an airtight container and in a cool place. At this time of the year that's not a problem. There's quite a lot in each bag, so I'll be a while chawing through it all.

My wife doesn't even want to look at it so that's good news, I get to have it all myself. grin

#43468 - 05/29/15 09:56 PM Re: Jerky making/recipes [Re: Trumby]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Another jerky recipe.

Marinade
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons hickory smoke bbq seasoning, or similar
1 clove garlic

Directions
Preparation:1hour Dehydrate:8hours Extra time:1day marinating Ready in:1day9hours

Take your beef roast and trim off as much fat as possible.
Now slice the beef into thin strips and place into a large plastic container. Cover with lid and place in the fridge.
Marinade: Place the Worcestershire, soy, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar and hickory seasoning into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until sugar has dissolved. Cover and leave to cool down.
When marinade has cooled down to room temperature pour over the meat and give it a good mix around. Cover and place back in fridge to marinade for 24 hours stirring twice.
Take meat out and place on a dehydrator trays making sure they are laying flat and not overlapping or touching each other.
Turn dehydrator onto 52 degrees C for aprox 8 hours checking occasionally.
To check meat for dryness take a piece out and let it cool, it's hard to tell properly when the meat is still warm. It should be pliable but split when bent.
If you dont have a dehydrator you can use an oven at the same temp with the door slightly open. You can add all different types of seasonings and things depends on what you like.
When cooled down store into an airtight container and place in fridge or cupboard.

#43506 - 05/31/15 11:25 AM Re: Jerky making/recipes [Re: Trumby]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Looks good, Lotsa chemicals. I'd hickory smoke it first at 175 degrees F for about 45 mins and leave out the hickory smoke seasoning...

-carl

#43561 - 06/03/15 02:40 AM Re: Jerky making/recipes [Re: Trumby]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Well, I've tried all of my three jerky mixes. grin

First, the Roo has a more wild, strong taste, I like it very much.

Second, the teriyaki I found a little too sweet for me, but still I'm enjoying it.

Third, the BBQ, is neither too sweet or too salty, it has a definite smoky taste, and a slight peppery after taste, it is definitely my favorite, followed closely by the Roo.

It would still be cheaper to make my own, but the direct from the factory jerky is cheaper that buying it from a supermarket. Costing $10.00 for 255gms, around 1/2 pound.

#43573 - 06/03/15 11:26 AM Re: Jerky making/recipes [Re: Trumby]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Ian- Thanks for the review. I'm going to smoke a bit of "wild meat, source unknown" wink in the smoker before the marinade and all of that. Seems way more complex than my standard dip method.

-carl

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.