header

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38175 - 07/27/14 09:34 AM Sharpening rodent solution
Citizen16 Offline

Hi
I have tried sharpening my rodent solution using a mousepad and sandpaper, stroping and using different compounds. The convex edge is sharp but not razor sharp. Is this a characteristic of rodent solutions ? Is it not meant to be that sharp. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

#38176 - 07/27/14 12:13 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Under your bed
The rodent solution, along with the majority of the knives made by swamp rat are made of 52100 steel, named SR101 by swamp rat.

52100 is an excellent steel and is often used on expensive custom straight razors for the sole purpose of being RAZOR sharp.

So its not a characteristic of the knife itself at all. Swamp rat knives have the ability to become insanely sharp and easily and cleanly cut through hair, but sometimes you are starting with a thick edge to begin with... So unless you get that edge thinned some it may never be as sharp as you would like.

Lets remember that its not the alloy/steel choice that makes it sharp, geometry cuts... Alloy choice and heat treat determine HOW LONG it stays cutting. A piece of plastic or glass with the right edge geometry will also cut.... But will likely dull in minutes.

#38178 - 07/27/14 01:46 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
Citizen16 Offline

So what is the easiest way to sharpen this knife? What do you use ?
Thanks !

#38179 - 07/27/14 03:59 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Under your bed
I do not personally sharpen my own knives.. I do strop them on a leather 3 stage strop with the green chrome oxide on 1 stage, diamond paste at 1 micron and then bare leather on the backside...

But this is only to KEEP them sharp. But if done before and after a bunch of use it does a pretty good job of keeping them ready to go with a steel like 52100.

When they get to the point they need a real good sharpening, or if i want them thinned out a bit i personally just send them off and pay to have it done for me.

Sharpening comes down to personal preference like most things... Id love to get me a KME sharpener with diamonds myself, but when i have extra funds to blow most of the time it goes to a knife LOL

#38180 - 07/27/14 04:08 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
I sharpen (and/or re-profile, then sharpen) all of my own knives. My EDC is 52100 and I have shaved my face and neck with it. It can be done. All of that said, I'm 70+ and have been doing it a long time. Keep at it- you will learn. It is all about consistency and developing a good eye.

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#38182 - 07/27/14 04:52 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
Thesnakeman2 Offline

Loc: SOUTH CAROLINA
i use mousepad and sandpaper to great effect...
give more details on the grits that you use and what is your freehand sharping skill level?

i do the sharping/repair with 400 to a bur(this is the most important part), than up to 600 grit, than to 1000

sr101 takes a bit time to sharpen but its easy enough to work with given the right angles and time

or send it in to get sharped

#38189 - 07/27/14 06:05 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
Citizen16 Offline

This is the first time I've used a mouse pad and sandpaper. I've been using 1000 grit. I use a edge pro or the spyderco knife sharpener. But I was told you shouldn't use it for a convex edge.
It sounds like i need lower grit paper and work myself up. Thanks.

#38190 - 07/27/14 06:12 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
RobStanley Offline

Loc: Straya
My RS had a rather obtuse edge when I got it. I had a similar problem to you with not getting it sharp. The problem was when I was honing it, I wasn't actually honing the very edge. I would come close, but never really got there. I was literally wearing the edge shoulder down. I would have gotten there eventually, but SR101 is hard stuff. After a quick go on a friends sharpmkaer we had the edge reprofiled (the shoulder smoothed out)and now it's very easy to maintain and is crazy sharp.

#38191 - 07/27/14 08:30 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
My guess is you are sharpening and blunting at the same time. I personally don't use a mouse pad for sharpening, and rather sharpen to a standard V. I always knock more shoulder off than is normally on a factory edge.

Sharpening the shoulder instead of the edge is common problem also.
I start with a coarse stone to re-profile and using the same amount of strokes on either side gives a balanced edge, when you start raising a burr, then switch to a finer stone. I use a medium ceramic for that.

The most important part of sharpening is consistency of angle, so practice keeping the angle the same.

The finish is with a steel, I prefer a smooth steel.

Donít bother walking a mile in my shoes that would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head, thatíll freak you right out.

#38192 - 07/27/14 08:31 PM Re: Sharpening rodent solution [Re: Citizen16]
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

I won't even begin the sharpening tasks without a Sharpie on hand. I trust my eyes but find the telltale sharpie wear to aid a lot in knowing if you're sharing the very edge.

Most often I maintain my edges w/ kitchen steels, strops, stones, bottom of a coffee mug and so on...it's only when I really dull them that the sharpening gets more complicated.

I don't have a RS. And I'm also one to knock the boogers off my edges and keep on going 'till I find the time to redo them (on my larger knives).

N2K RMD = FFG Comp Finish INFI w/ black canvas micarta @ .187 or less.
MOAR = Swamp's answer to the MOAB.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.