header

Page 772 of 1335 < 1 2 ... 770 771 772 773 774 ... 1334 1335 >
Topic Options
#35336 - 03/26/14 08:56 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

My grandfather is 93 years old and twisted his knee. He refused to go to the doctor and hobbled around for about a month. He said it probably wasn't broke and if they treat it like a finger they will just tape it to the other one. Then he would be no good to anyone. LOL he is one tough old man.

#35338 - 03/26/14 02:09 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Trumby]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Originally Posted By: Trumby
LMAO,
The other day I took a tumble, twisted my knee, ended with a sore back and a groin strain. grin

Now that's going for the tri-fecta. laugh

OK, You win this time. smile smile

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#35339 - 03/26/14 02:38 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Joshua R.
My grandfather is 93 years old and twisted his knee. He refused to go to the doctor and hobbled around for about a month. He said it probably wasn't broke and if they treat it like a finger they will just tape it to the other one. Then he would be no good to anyone. LOL he is one tough old man.

...so the question I struggle with is: Is Grandad tough or have we gotten soft? Methinks a little of both. Back in the day, the question was: is it hurt or is it injured?

Hurt just meant use was painful, but the extremity worked; while injured meant it was fundamentally broken. If hurt you kept on working. If injured you sought repair for the purpose of getting back to work.

I observe now, that if there is a Band-Aid present anywhere, all work is out of the question......

-carl

#35340 - 03/26/14 03:25 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

I have noticed that in a lot of people. Band-Aid means they can't work for the day or more. I have found very few people that will work through the pain. I actually prefer to work through the pain rather than go see a doctor. To me Dr. in front of your name means: I have a white coat so I know more than you. LOL

#35341 - 03/26/14 05:02 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

It also meand that Band-Aid will cost you $120.

-carl

#35342 - 03/26/14 05:17 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Carl Theile]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Sounds about right! crazy

#35345 - 03/26/14 05:46 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Private Klink]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Private Klink
Sounds about right! crazy

LOL. I agree!

In my case, Going to the doctor would only make the experience more painful, the misery of trying to get comfortable at night with my knee aching, plus the misery of having to contribute to the the doctors retirement fund. grin

Years ago, I had a bad buster from a horse while working on an outback station. We only had the flying doctor service out there. At 8.30 am I was to call via the bush radio every other morning. The protocol was to say good morning doctor, and he would ask you your problem, then you would commence to state the manner of the ailment.
The doctor would ask you to press around and try to move the area where you were injured. In my case it was my neck and shoulder.

Once he/her determined that nothing seemed broken, I was told to draw a bottle of tablets numbered #375, as all medication was in numerical order. the station managers wife was in charge of the medical kit, and was to reorder the drugs to be delivered by the mail contractor, depending on the season, that could take some time. In the rainy season, it could be several weeks.

More serious cases, the patient would be picked up by the plane, again, dependent of the season as is was often the case where the plane couldn't land.
In those time you hoped that it wasn't too serious. grin

All of this service was free, and still is, many stock-men in the outback owe their lives to the dedication of this wonderful service and I still contribute in donations to the FRDS.

http://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/

We had non of the modern day communications that are out there now, such as Internet or even telephones that are available in most areas today.
Still, these remote cattle stations are dependent on weather condition's as in the rainy season, it can be a couple of months before any form of transport can get in or out.

If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

#35347 - 03/26/14 06:02 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Carl Theile]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
^^Sounds like a great service there. Not sure we have anything similar.

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile
It also meand that Band-Aid will cost you $120.

-carl

$0.25 for the band-aid. $119.75 to help pay for the guy that gets choked on a potato chip while playing video games in his mother's basement.......while you were working.

Edited by Hard Knocks (03/26/14 06:03 PM)

#35348 - 03/26/14 06:12 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

HK that is becoming way to common.

#35351 - 03/26/14 07:02 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Carl Theile]
Lora Offline

Loc: Swampland Ohio
Originally Posted By: Carl Theile
Originally Posted By: Joshua R.

...so the question I struggle with is: Is Grandad tough or have we gotten soft? Methinks a little of both. Back in the day, the question was: is it hurt or is it injured?

Hurt just meant use was painful, but the extremity worked; while injured meant it was fundamentally broken. If hurt you kept on working. If injured you sought repair for the purpose of getting back to work.

I observe now, that if there is a Band-Aid present anywhere, all work is out of the question......

-carl

I've noticed that people tend to coddle pain more than necessary. I hate having to go to the doctor or even stop what I'm doing to tape a finger or bandage a wound. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. I'd rather let the wound scab over with a little bit of dirt in it than worry about wasting time with a bandage.

It's amazing how serious of an injury a paper cut or a tiny little sliver is anymore. When did we get so soft?

Page 772 of 1335 < 1 2 ... 770 771 772 773 774 ... 1334 1335 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.