header

Topic Options
#34098 - 02/08/14 08:44 PM Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
I don't normally do gear reviews on clothing, but I recently picked up one of these at SHOT Show and I am so impressed with it, I thought I'd share my thoughts.

The Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak is a light weight pull over that is designed more for the "high speed, low drag" crowd. Granted, I don't fit into that group, but this anorak also is great on a daily basis. Because of who it was designed for, it is extremely well built, right here in the US.

The Materials:
The Sentinel is make out of 93% nylon and 7% spandex. The bit of spandex gives it just a touch of stretch to it. Not enough to make it feel like it would stretch out on you, but just enough to give a small amount. The weave on the material is very tight. VERY tight. This helps make a very tough and durable fabric. It seems to be very abrasion resistant. Even though it is light weight, I would consider it more of a medium weight fabric. It also has another property that I'll get to in a bit.

Throughout the design of this anorak, they make use of several zippers. The zippers all have very tight fitting teeth. They are not sealed zippers, but have a low profile, and very little of the teeth showing. Much like the fabric, this makes them tight fitting. The action on the zippers is very smooth and easy to maneuver.

The Features:
A lot of pull overs would be a 1/4 zip. This one is more of a 1/2 zip.

Overall, this is an oversized anorak. Not that the fit is just big, but it is designed so that it could be worn over body armor or even a chest rig if you so desired. This is also great if you are wearing this over several layers.

The cuffs, neck and bottom of the anorak are lined with a very lightweight fleece material. Basically, the parts that might rub against your skin all day have a bit of softness to them instead of just nylon rubbing against you. Obviously, this will help with chaffing on those contact areas.

Speaking of the cuffs, they have a velcro tab on them so you can adjust the cuffs to be as tight fitting as you need them.

There are large velcro sections on both biceps area. So, perfect placement for unit patches or morale patches if you choose.

Each arm has a pocket behind the velcro sections. This is great for holding items and is plenty big enough a variety of items. For sure, it is large enough to hold an iPhone. For me flying a lot, it made a great pocket to put things in that I could easily get to while still sitting down.

There is also a pocket on the left side where you would normally put your hands, however on this this pocket, it actually goes behind your back. Why? I'm not sure, but I imagine that it would make a nice location to hide a small back up handgun or knife. It would be a cross draw situation for sure, but if it comes down to it and you need a backup weapon, you'll be glad to have one on you. This pocket would also be good to hide some extra cash or a passport in a location that would be fairly secure.

There is another large pocket on the front of the anorak. This is almost more of a pouch. This pouch is large enough to hold a map or other large items. A unique feature here is this pouch also has velcro that you can open and get to your shirt or other items underneath the anorak.

Back to the tight weave of the fabric and tight fitting zippers for a moment. Because of the material and zippers, this is a very windproof pullover. Wind just does not get through. Also, this is a very warm garment for being very lightweight. It holds in all the warm air your body generates and keeps the cold out. Keeping the warm air close to your body is great, but you can overheat sometimes. To counteract that, there are zippers on the right side of the anorak that go from the bottom of the garment all the way up to the elbow. On the bottom, there is a snap to cover the zipper so you can't accidentally unzip it. On the left side, the air vent zipper goes from about halfway up the side to the elbow. You have plenty of ventilation here to keep you from over heating. I wore this outside the other day with it was 4 degrees and was warm. It's not designed for that, but it held in my body heat so well and cut the wind that I was surprisingly warm.

The Downside:
The one downside to this is the price. Honestly, the only reason I got this was that on the last day of SHOT, Otte was selling all their display models at extreme discounts. They just happened to have a brand new one in the back of their booth that was my size and they let it go for a song.

The Bottom Line:
This is a great piece of gear. Yes, I said gear. If you take what you wear seriously, like a good pair of boots, or gloves and such, then this is part of your gear. It is high speed, low drag and the quality of this shows. It's a great piece and one that I'll have for many years.

I don't have any pictures that I've taken of this, but below is a link to their website with plenty of pictures and their description of the piece.

http://www.ottegear.com/catalog-detail.php?p=65

Edited by Drumrboy (02/08/14 10:34 PM)

Never Stop Trying

#34100 - 02/08/14 09:27 PM Re: Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
DB-
Looks like a great product and, while not cheap seems to be a "can-do" piece of gear. My only concern is campfire sparks as every time I go for this type of gear I end up having holes burnt into it.

Might add it to my bike gear though....

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#34115 - 02/09/14 12:46 AM Re: Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak [Re: Drumrboy]
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

Please let us know how it serves you over time.

N2K RMD = FFG Comp Finish INFI w/ black canvas micarta @ .187 or less.
MOAR = Swamp's answer to the MOAB.

#34138 - 02/10/14 11:34 AM Re: Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak [Re: Drumrboy]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

Also very interested in how you like it after some long term wear.

#34218 - 02/12/14 12:40 PM Re: Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak [Re: Drumrboy]
MonkeyBomb Offline

Loc: USA
I have appreciated and had anoraks since th early 70's. Thats a pricey bit of gear.

My anoraks have been used for warmth and a just in case rain jacket. I didn't see a hood on that one.

#34246 - 02/13/14 09:20 PM Re: Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak [Re: Drumrboy]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
They have a different model with a hood on it. They were out of those in my size or I would have gotten the hooded version.

Never Stop Trying

#34252 - 02/14/14 04:22 PM Re: Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak [Re: Drumrboy]
Andy the Aussie Offline

I have never warmed (no pun intended wink ) to Anoraks, not sure why I just haven't, that looks like a bloody well made bit of gear though. I tend to lean to the British style windproof smocks in lightweight materials, I ummm, have "one or two" ... wink

This is the one I use most now when I first got it. A few small changes (mostly getting rid of Velcro that is just a PITA..!!

Edited by Andy the Aussie (02/14/14 04:33 PM)

#34260 - 02/14/14 06:00 PM Re: Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak [Re: Drumrboy]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
It shure looks like it's built to last, DB.

I've never owned anything like that, opting for driza bone short coats.

I always had one rolled up behind my saddle, now it;s rolled up behing my truck seat. grin

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#34314 - 02/15/14 07:55 PM Re: Gear Review: Otte Gear Sentinel Anorak [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
I like drizabone or Filson oiled "tin" as well. But I do a lot of "bushwhacking" (off-trail) and nylon just doesn't cut the mustard in most cases.

-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (02/15/14 09:36 PM)

You are not out of options until you quit.

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.