header

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33404 - 01/18/14 06:15 PM Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes
MLemelin Offline

Loc: French Canuckistan
What local dishes are considered lethal in the long term?

Two things to clear first;

1- Ian, Carl, this is meant in a lighthearted fashion, if you deam it incorrectly placed in "Survival" please, move away!
2- Vegemite is off bound.

So, I'll start:

The Poutine: also known as the "Heart-attack-on-a-plate"

Originally Posted By: wikipedia

In the basic recipe for poutine, French fries are covered with fresh cheese curds, and topped with brown gravy. In a Quebec poutine:
Fries: Usually of medium thickness, and fried (sometimes doubly) so that the inside stays soft, while the outside is crispy.
Cheese curds: Fresh cheese curds are used to give the desired texture. The curd size may vary but is usually slightly smaller than bite-sized.
Gravy: Traditionally a light and thin chicken, veal, or turkey gravy, mildly spiced with a hint of pepper, or a sauce brune which is a combination of beef and chicken stock, a variant originating in Quebec. The gravy should be thin enough to easily filter down into the mass of fries and cheese curds. These sauces typically also contain vinegar or a sour flavouring to balance the richness of the cheese and fries. Traditional poutine sauces (mélange à sauce poutine) are sold in Quebec, Ontario, and Maritime grocery stores in jars or cans and in powdered mix packets. Recently, some stores have begun to offer vegetarian gravy as an option to cater to ovolactovegetarians.
Heavy beef or pork-based brown gravies are rarely used. To maintain the texture of the fries, the cheese curd and gravy are added immediately prior to serving the dish. The hot gravy is usually poured over the cold cheese curds, so that the cheese is warmed without completely melting. It is important to control the temperature, timing and the order in which the ingredients are added, so as to obtain the right food textures which is an essential part of the experience of eating poutine.

and my favorite, the extra bacon:

A medium poutine is considered to have as much calories as a pound of butter.

laugh

#33405 - 01/18/14 08:03 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: MLemelin]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Mathieu-
OK to post this here. Having poutine at -20F is just good sense as a survival food ...but leathal long-term as you say.

-car;

You are not out of options until you quit.

#33468 - 01/20/14 10:35 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: MLemelin]
wharf rat Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
I still eat bacon by the pound. My grandma lived past 100 and still made biscuits and gravy(from bacon fat), and only used real lard till she was admitted (mind related) around 98 yo.
Lethal smethal
I have to admit, I aint nearly as tough.
Tim

#33487 - 01/21/14 07:02 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: MLemelin]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
That extra bacon looks the goods to me. grin

I'd reckon it's worth cutting a few years off, for the pleasure pf eating that arount the camp fire. laugh

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#33489 - 01/21/14 08:06 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: MLemelin]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Agreed-

It ain't the quantity of life it is the quality of life. Biscuits and sausage gravy with three eggs on top and bacon on the side ...standard country breakfast in winter after three hours of chores. But I do not eat after 4:00 PM. Break the fast (breakfast) and supper ...well, maybe a slice of pie later smile But I work till dark thirty.

-carl

#33491 - 01/21/14 08:49 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: MLemelin]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

The ultimate breakfast for me is a pile of fried bacon, a couple of fried eggs and two large tomatoes fried up in the grease,then snowed with salt. grin

btw, On the way up to Tamworth I pulled in to a truck stop, that I've been going to for years and had a 24 hour breakfast, as well as another on the way home.

They serve up a huge plate of bacon, eggs, chips, sausage and tomatoe with melted cheese over the top, as well as toast.
Enough to kill a Mallee Bull, but I survived it, no problems. grin

#33493 - 01/21/14 09:25 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: MLemelin]
wharf rat Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
Now WE are talkin business!!

Bacon or sausage grease is not to be wasted.

Tim

#33931 - 02/02/14 06:20 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: wharf rat]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Here's one for those cold winter nights.

Kimberly Stock Camp Stew! grin

#33934 - 02/02/14 08:29 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: MLemelin]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Looked fit to eat. Meat go in last or cooked separately?

I like to quick-fry (brown) the meat with a bit of flour and salt and add 30 minutes in (assuming an hour cook time).

-carl

#33935 - 02/02/14 09:52 PM Re: Surviving food. Or post those killer local dishes [Re: MLemelin]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Yeah, that's how my wife does it too.

But in the vid the old camp cook just cooks it altogether.
I used to do the same, without the curry and using Roo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.