Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#31697 - 11/30/13 09:32 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Tim-
How do you like the one you have? I still tend to resist aids for navigation, but a Personal Locator Beacon might be a good idea....

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#31725 - 12/01/13 09:12 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
wharf rat Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
Carl,
So far I really like it. I have not had to use it yet, but it is small and light enough that I don't mind carrying it around. I will look at some of the acr models next time around. They have both done some improvements. YOU CAN check out some reviews by Doug Ritter over on Equipped To Survive website. I have had it for a few years and will either have to send it back for a battery change or buy a new one soon. Have not decided which yet.

I certainly do like the piece of mind that comes with having it.

Tim

PS-I would post links more often but have a new compututer and it is WAY SMARTER than me.

#31728 - 12/01/13 09:54 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Tim-
I've been watching the reviews on that site (also a member).
PLB's were a hot topic for a while, and I've asked several SAR types what they like- yours has been mentioned several times.
-carl

#31732 - 12/01/13 10:25 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
wharf rat Offline

My original purchase was based partially on price. It was a few bucks cheaper and at the time, it was the smallest. I also looked at all the reviews and I think, that they are all pretty good products and it is hard to make a bad choice if you stay within real life saving stuff. It was pretty much unanimous that the spot line was not in the running. Better than nothing though.
I also fish on an inflatable pontoon boat with 2 oar propulsion and white water rated. Use it mostly on lakes but when out by myself, I got the edge that lets me relax and enjoy. Be interesting to know what influences other folks' decisions.

Tim

Edited by wharf rat (12/01/13 10:27 PM)

#31735 - 12/01/13 10:40 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Tim-
Isn't this the one you have? McMurdo FastFind 220 Satellite GPS PLB Personal Locator Beacon. Ritter liked it.
-carl

#31770 - 12/02/13 11:43 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
wharf rat Offline

No sir, I am a dinosaur. I still have one of the 210 models, from rite around 2010. It does not float so instead of a neoprene case, I put a cord on that will attach to a belt loop. got a 2015 expiration and thinking that I will probably upgrade rather than change battery. Haven't quite decided yet.

Tim

#31813 - 12/04/13 12:40 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: wharf rat]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: wharf rat
No sir, I am a dinosaur. I still have one of the 210 models, from rite around 2010. It does not float so instead of a neoprene case, I put a cord on that will attach to a belt loop. got a 2015 expiration and thinking that I will probably upgrade rather than change battery. Haven't quite decided yet.

Tim

All of us "old-timers" is a dinosaur ...but sometimes we get a piece of gear before they "improve" the quality out of it. Hope so with yours.

-carl

#31816 - 12/04/13 02:09 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Carl Theile
Tim-
How do you like the one you have? I still tend to resist aids for navigation, but a Personal Locator Beacon might be a good idea....

-carl

Another dinosaur here! grin

I have an EPIRB in the shed that I bought around 1979. It was designed to go in a boat but I had it behind the seat of my truck while still out living in the Gulf.

I never got to use it, but the fella at the place I bought it reckoned that you didn't need to be out at sea for it to save your ass. grin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, worn out, shouting 'holy $hit what a ride'! cool

#31936 - 12/08/13 04:23 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

I used to shun these electronic aids, including compasses and GPS, thinking a fella ought to be able to navigate without them. That notion served me well for so many years I just stuck with it.

Then I ran into a few situations where rescue might have been a better option than getting myself out. That led to investigation of personal beacons that would, at minimum, tell them where to find the body. But that begged the question: did I want the body found? After all, if I could live off the land, why not let it live off of me?

Indecision caused delay. Investigation caused further delay. But nature still beacons and I still go. I am beginning to wonder, now, if I will ever invest in one, carry one, and activate it if I need it.

I guess once a dinosaur always a dinosaur........
-carl

#31937 - 12/08/13 04:25 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

I used to shun these electronic aids, including compasses and GPS, thinking a fella ought to be able to navigate without them. That notion served me well for so many years I just stuck with it.

Then I ran into a few situations where rescue might have been a better option than getting myself out. That led to investigation of personal beacons that would, at minimum, tell them where to find the body. But that begged the question: did I want the body found? After all, if I could live off the land, why not let it live off of me?

Indecision caused delay. Investigation caused further delay. But nature still beckons and I still go. I am beginning to wonder, now, if I will ever invest in one, carry one, and activate it if I need it.

I guess once a dinosaur always a dinosaur........
-carl

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.