header

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#31583 - 11/26/13 04:03 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Under your bed
Yea man if you can feed yourself with it, then that is indeed what matters!!

I plan on continuing to practice with fingers right now, but i think i also will want to try a release at some point, is there one you would recommend josh? And does it make a difference using a release on a recurve or compound? Im just shooting recurve, i dont really have any intention of getting into compounds. Maybe one day if i start hunting a whole lot i may decide then its better to use a compound for that but for now i love my recurve. This samick sage is a great bow in my opinion for the price, its not a high dollar one but works and looks great to me.

I will indeed give myself some time to figure out what works for me and trying to keep all 5 shots grouped together without any flyers!

Thank you guys for the tips, its nice to have some people with experience helping out, im doing all this on my own so it can be hard to fix mistakes when you dont which mistakes you could be making.

#31584 - 11/26/13 04:21 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
The main thing is to have fun and to get outside. Thing is, we need to keep inventing new excuses to do that because there are so many folks out there who just don't get it...

I have a sling (two 36" thongs and a pouch for throwing rocks). One day I was practicing and a teenager came by asking what I was doing. I said getting ready to hunt. With absolute contempt he said I would never be able to kill anything with that sling. I did not argue. That night I dined on duck killed with that sling.
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#31585 - 11/26/13 04:29 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

that is awesome Carl!!

#31586 - 11/26/13 05:08 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

I don't think of it as such, but thanks. I've been "playing" with the sling since I was a brat, only becoming truly impressed with its potential when I threw a golf-ball sized rock right through the side of a barn. (Boy, Pop was not happy with me)

Since then I have been finding ways to hunt with it, and there have been several. It is not inherently accurate (target is a tire, 16" rim size) hung from a tree. I can hit that hole consistently, but never got more accurate than that.
-carl

#31589 - 11/26/13 05:17 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

WW, you may want to try video taping yourself shooting. You may be surprised what you can see yourself doing and not doing. Slight changes in stance or how far you pull the string back can make a huge impact on your shot.

Carl I would love to try a sling. Might just have to look that one up.

#31594 - 11/26/13 07:29 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

We lived near a lake. There was an island about 100 yards off shore, and at dusk the ducks would migrate there for safety. The island only raised about 18" above the water and the ducks- some 50 or more- would sorta roost there overnight.

I used to go there during daylight and practice bouncing rocks off the water to land on the island (like skipping rocks, only there was only one bounce). After getting fairly consistent, I'd go there at night and throw a rock or three. Then I'd paddle out to the island and collect dinner. Often one rock would yield two ducks. smile

No-one ever believed I got them with a sling, but it was like shooting fish in a barrel.
-carl

#31595 - 11/26/13 08:07 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
We as kids used to nail rat traps onto a floating log and spread some mash over the traps that we had nicked and mixed up in a jam tin, then push it out into the billabong with a cord tied to it.

Then just sit back in some bushes and wait for our victims to come along.

We never missed getting a feed of ducks. grin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, worn out, shouting 'holy $hit what a ride'! cool

#31597 - 11/26/13 08:18 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

That is, after all, the name of the game- GETing game smile

-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (11/26/13 08:45 PM)

#31607 - 11/26/13 10:22 PM Re: Archery fun! [Re: worldwood]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

I have used slingshots for years, I love the "flippinout" brand scout model. Very accurate and built very well. I ended up trading it for a sheath though as it started collecting dust. But i had some powerful hunting bands on that thing that i ordered from a custom maker and i would put nice sized holes in cans with ease.

Edited by worldwood (11/27/13 05:47 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.