header

Page 624 of 1352 < 1 2 ... 622 623 624 625 626 ... 1351 1352 >
Topic Options
#31154 - 11/17/13 09:09 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Under your bed
Thank you Carl for the tips laugh I love getting some tips from experienced shooters!

And right now the arrows i have were for a 60# bow.. yet mine is only 40 so there is some "wobbling" in the arrow that i think is due to using the wrong arrow for my bow.

I am keeping my stance, bow hold, sight, draw and release as close to the same on each shot as possible, And the grouping is getting a little better from these 10 yards. My first 12 shots the other day were grouped at 9" from the 2 furthest arrows, this time the 2 furthest were almost 5".

I only have 4 arrows, which again were not bought for this bow or my draw, but they were given to me free so im using what i have for now until i can afford some better arrows. But only having 4 arrows i have to go get them out the target and re-setup my stance and re position my bow and everything. I have noticed the first shot after returning to the shooting line is sometimes not as close to the bulls-eye as the last shot before i moved, but i try and aim my arrows at the last arrow i shot and not the bulls-eye so much. which im not sure is the right technique or not honestly.

I know im not helping myself by using the wrong arrows but i just cant wait until i can afford the proper ones, the bow has been teasing me to shoot it, and i am improving some just after my 2nd try, but i still have a lot of practicing to go.

Thanks again Carl for the tips!!

#31165 - 11/17/13 10:11 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Quote:
WW said: but i try and aim my arrows at the last arrow i shot and not the bulls-eye so much. which im not sure is the right technique or not honestly.

If you really meant 3 subsequent shots at the first arrow shot, OK. It is generally considered better to have the same exact point of aim for all shots. That will give you four "results" at one point of aim. Your way, the first arrow has no point of aim and therefore cannot be considered in your judgement of how well you are improving.

You should be shooting lighter arrows with real fletching- if wood, 5/16 shafts. Yours are likely 11/32 (if wood). That will matter later, but not so much now. What bothers me more is the fletching (Plastic IIRC). Try to get feather'd shafts.

........that said, I'm a bit of a traditionalist so be warned.
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#31168 - 11/17/13 10:23 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

Yes my father is a huge traditionalist as well, we talk on the phone quite a bit about it and he also said the plastic vanes shooting off the shelf traditionally is not ideal.

The arrows im using now are aluminum XX78 SUPER SLAM in 2117, but cut to 26", and they are almost too short to use at all for me but carefully i still do use em for now.

But better arrows with real feathers are on my shopping list, a long with a glove and arm guard, and possibly a "hoyt super rest" or other type of arrow rest to get off the "carpet" "velcro" type rest that came on the shelf.

Edited by worldwood (11/17/13 10:26 PM)

#31170 - 11/17/13 10:35 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Well, you have a great start. Keep it fun, or you might toss it in some corner in frustration. smile
-carl

#31171 - 11/17/13 10:39 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

Will do! Fun is what it is all about for me!!

#31175 - 11/17/13 10:49 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
I have a few traditional bows and I shoot carbons with feathers. I don't have the time now to get as proficient as I'd like. Maybe in a few more years I'll be in a place where I can take these into the field.

Old School Rats

#31176 - 11/17/13 10:50 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
Went the carbon route since tolerances are pretty tight and they are less likely to get damaged or warped. At some point I'll probably switch over to cedar, but probably when I'm a bt older and have a bit more time...

Old School Rats

#31177 - 11/17/13 10:57 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Yup-
Ya have to be old to use cedar (my favorite) smile Carbon/feathered had a good run with me though.
-carl

#31178 - 11/17/13 11:48 PM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
worldwood Offline
Die Hard Rat

Im thinking ill go carbon at first, but im still trying to find out what arrows i need. And most the time it looks like they dont come with the feathers on them and i dont want to glue them myself...

Buying the bow was the easiest part, id think that would be the hard part.

#31186 - 11/18/13 12:33 AM Re: The New Rat Chat Death Chat [Re: Magoo]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Good luck with the archery WW. I'll bet someone here can give you tips on your hold so that you don't get burnt by that string.

Had a nice few days out, and now back to the old grind, literally for me smile

Hope all of you have a good week.

Page 624 of 1352 < 1 2 ... 622 623 624 625 626 ... 1351 1352 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.