header

Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 ... 62 63 >
Topic Options
#27594 - 09/15/13 09:41 PM Hunting Pictures and Stories
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
With hunting season upon us, post your pictures and stories as they come in over the next few weeks and months. Thanks to DT for sharing the hunt with his boy.

#27595 - 09/15/13 09:43 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

I'll start. Here's a recent catch and release.

#27598 - 09/15/13 10:04 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks

I understand that release part. What released Who? smile

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#27599 - 09/15/13 10:05 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Those dogs look like they are having a good time.
-carl

#27603 - 09/15/13 10:16 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Carl Theile]
Hard Knocks Offline

Originally Posted By: Carl Theile
Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks

I understand that release part. What released Who? smile

-carl

Ha ha! Sometimes you get the tiger by the tail, no pun intended. smile And yes, that's what those dogs live for.

#27604 - 09/15/13 10:18 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

I got cornered in a berry patch by a bear once. You should have seen that berry patch when I got through (with) it ...and I think I might have stood a better chance with that bear. smile
-carl

#27610 - 09/15/13 10:32 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

Lol. I hate coming out looking like the tomcats have been fighting over you grin I remember those Montana huckleberry patches being full of bear. Luckily, no thorns on huckleberries. The thornberries we have here, however, are another beast entirely.......

#27679 - 09/17/13 12:01 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
Well, opening day I took my son out--same place he got one last Saturday. Had a doe come in just like the deer he shot. He was trembling far too hard and when he got the shot off he missed it entirely at about 30 yards with my 25-06 (we're saying he grazed the leg wink ). I gave him every chance to get off a second shot--it was a stupid deer and hung around after getting blasted at. When it was out of his sight but not quite out of mine I dropped it offhand at about 80 yards with my 45-70 guide gun. It had been a while since I'd shot that gun, but it quickly reminded me who was boss. Almost knocked me out of the tree stand (note to self--sit down when shooting that gun grin ). Doesn't matter where you hit a deer with a 325 grain bullet. It goes down and doesn't get back up. Small, but tasty. I ground the whole thing up and turned it into 14 pounds of bratwurst--nine pounds venison, five pounds pork trimmings, 14 pounds of deliciousness...

Old School Rats

#27681 - 09/17/13 02:24 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
A pig hunt

This is going back a while. I was hunting in a well known wild pig area, the Pilliga Scrub.

Pilliga has a small village 105 km west of Narrabri in the North West Plains of NSW.
I was a little west of that on a sheep and cattle property, large for NSW, 100,000 acres and was staying in the shearer’s quarters out there.

I had floated my stallion there, (Marbuck) and had decided to spend a couple of weeks in the bush shooting pigs.

My rifle was a 30-06 cavalry carbine that fitted into my saddle scabbard nicely. grin

From memory, the second day out, early morning, I was riding into scrubby country on my own only about 7 miles out from the station with a small Whippet dog, (Deefa). Not your likely choice for a pig dog, but he was a game little fella anyways.
Coming into lignum country, my horse started pricking his ears up and coming up onto his toes a little, a sure sign he was smelling pigs before I was. Just a little further I noticed a reasonably large clay pan and two trophy sized boars having a domestic on the other side. I slipped off the horse and slid the carbine out of my scabbard and with the reins in the crook of my arm slowly walked up to the opening in the lignum.

The two boars were about sixty – seventy yards out on the other side of the clay pan I lined up on the largest of the two and hit him in what I thought was a shoulder shot, then worked the bolt and shot the other boar, taking my eyes off the first one.

I noticed movement and looked back at the first pig, he’d got up and was charging straight at me, my little dog raced out at the pig head on and latched onto his ear, the only problem was that he looked like a piece of rag flapping off the ear of the boar who only had eyes for me and the horse. grin

In panic I suppose, I tried to work the bolt of the rifle two quickly and managed a jam up, by this time the boar with my dog still flapping off its ear looked a moral to get me, I tried to get the reins back over the head of my horse and vault onto him, still holding my rifle in my right hand. Then it all went south grin the stallion broke and started running backwards.

Even though it was only a couple of seconds to go I remember letting go of the horse and deciding to try and jump the pig when he got to me. Crazy things go through your mind at times like this and I remembered a fella getting raked by a boar up over the Queensland border a few years earlier, I was working on the station there at the time and transported him to an airstrip for the flying doctor to pick up. He ended up with 126 stitches up the inside of his leg and was nearly gelded as well. grin

The boar made it to within eight feet of me then just dropped and slid towards me. My dog ended up half buried under him but came out of it fine after I dragged the pig off him a bit. It turned out that I had shot the boar through the heart and he had bled out when he came crashing nearly up to me. My horse was standing back about thirty yards away watching the whole disaster so I walked up and caught him, removed the bullet still jammed in the breach of my rifle, it came out easy now there was no rush. grin

I climbed aboard him and decided that that would do me for the day.

I don't have pictures of the hunt, but here are my two companions that were out there with me.

Marbuck

And Deefa the Dawg grin

Sometimes I sit and wonder why I’m not in a mental asylum ... then I take a look around me and realize maybe I already am.

#27693 - 09/17/13 04:07 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

Awesome Trumby, thank you!! Sounds like your dog was giving it all he had.

Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 ... 62 63 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.