Page 65 of 72 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 71 72 >
Topic Options
#50140 - 11/05/17 03:03 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks
I've ate plenty of bambi burgers at home, but I've never seen a 'bambi burger stand' out here grin

They used to set up outside the entrance of the building. There always seemed to be a line up out there, a great little enterprise. laugh

If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

#50151 - 11/10/17 04:27 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Andy the Aussie Offline

HK..... just saw the Elk hunt pics..... great stuff right there !

#50169 - 11/13/17 10:23 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Hard Knocks Online   content

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie
HK..... just saw the Elk hunt pics..... great stuff right there !

Thanks Andy, we had a blast. On the way home from the hunt my behind was dragging, but mom was chatting right along..."I don't know why but I haven't needed a nap today...did you see him go off down the hill...I hope he eats good"...grin

I ran up yesterday and set up the wall tent for a week long hunt that starts with my dad in a couple days. I have a whitetail tag in my pocket and he has a late muledeer buck tag that goes until the end of the month, so hopefully we'll get those filled. I hope I'm still going strong at my folks age and that the young folks take some mercy on me then.

#50175 - 11/15/17 03:45 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Andy the Aussie Offline

Great stuff mate...>!!!

#50222 - 11/30/17 01:05 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]

So both of my folks drew tags for controlled hunts this fall. My father's tag was for antlered muledeer only, in a unit a few hours north near some country we lived in when I was a boy. That part of the world in between the Snake and Salmon Rivers has historically been big buck country, and we see a lot of good muledeer while hunting whitetails there (muledeer can only be hunted there by controlled permit, but whitetail has an open season). We spent the last couple of weeks looking for a buck for my dad and I hoped to fill out on whitetail in the process.

Morning breaking over the rims above the Snake

Both the Salmon and the Snake are wintering grounds for game, being fairly mild climes in the winter. The mountains separating the river, though.....those can be a different story. And you have to cross by road from the Salmon to the Snake over those mountains. Otherwise you're jetboating through the Hells Canyon to get there. We elected to take the wall tent rather than risk pulling a trailer and take a chance if the weather turned bad.

Home sweet home...

My buddy's stove built from a propane tank

The 1111 pulling camp duty....

We began seeing deer before getting camp set up and made sure to check them out just in case.

Edited by Hard Knocks (11/30/17 01:06 PM)

#50223 - 11/30/17 01:06 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]

A section of the road passes through private ground between the two rivers and sometimes you just hate to look because you know a big buck is going to be there taunting you laugh Here's a few that knew they were safe.

And some others a few hundred yards the wrong side of the unit boundary.

#50224 - 11/30/17 01:07 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]

While glassing hard for muledeer, we began seeing a few whitetail mixed in. I realized I'd better start getting serious about a whitetail buck. There was definitely a chance of filling out on one.

Tough to see in this pic that is taken at about a thousand yards through the scope, but there's a muledeer doe and twin fawns that are readily seen feeding above a whitetail doe with twins....

Small buck about 1100 yards out

Lots of deer, nothing big enough to go after, so off to camp.

Found a stand of hedge which is more correctly I believe Osage Orange.

After a few days we decided to make a run South against the Seven Devils to see if the game was moving there. No luck that way, but beautiful country.

After catching our breath away from camp for a day, it was back to it. A few elk were in the valley and a couple of bucks wanting to spar a bit.

Finally, a better whitetail. Nothing huge, but plenty big enough to go after with only a couple days left of my season.

Edited by Hard Knocks (11/30/17 01:09 PM)

#50225 - 11/30/17 01:08 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]

At about 900 yards out, there was no way to approach through the valley for a stalk, or to make a shot attempt simply by trying to close distance through the open country. We watched him until he bedded and then headed up the road for a long stalk that would have to be done climbing and side-hilling over a few ridges. Nothing else for it. But I was able to work within 150 yards of him and make a clean shot when he broke out. I wish the photos would give an accurate feel of the steepness of the country, it's a butt kicker for sure.

#50226 - 11/30/17 01:10 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]

Back to looking for muledeer bucks. Seemed like the whitetail were on the ridges and the mulies lower down confused

A few coyotes hanging around and harassing the herds. We could hear them having a big time in the night.

Without being able to really cover the harder ground by foot, which my dad was not going to be able to do, we began to realize that with the warm weather we were having we were going to really need some luck to score on a big deer. Fortunately we had about forty head down in the valley every evening with several small bucks. On the last evening we had to hunt, my father decided to try for this buck with the double main beam.

He had been coming in steady, and so we snuck out into the field and lay down behind some cover to have a good field of fire. I hope I'm still trying to pull that off when I'm 79 laugh

We couldn't get the deal closed on the funky-horned buck. He came in alright but just wouldn't get clear and about 30 head were feeding into us and going to blow, so dad swung over and took the first buck with no does in behind him, a nice forked-horn. I brought a knife my dad made about the time I was born out of an M2 planer blade. It's passed through my granddad and grandmother's hands and back to me. Seemed like a fitting hunt to bring it along smile

We were really hoping for a mature buck this trip, but man did we have a great hunt. I doubt I'll ever forget laying out there in that field with my old man, or him fidgeting like a kid and asking every few minutes if I could see them coming yet laugh

#50228 - 11/30/17 02:18 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
WOW, great pictures and story, HK.

I love that country around there as well. Is that private land or government owned?
Thanks for sharing that with us.
Ian.

If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

Page 65 of 72 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 71 72 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.