Page 60 of 63 < 1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 >
Topic Options
#49077 - 01/06/17 04:28 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Great picture, MtnRat.

Sometimes I sit and wonder why I’m not in a mental asylum ... then I take a look around me and realize maybe I already am.

#49097 - 01/08/17 04:45 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
Well, I'm bad at taking pics...Or more accurately, I'm never thinking about it when I have a night of butchering ahead of me and it's been the 638th deer I've shot, but SF45ACP and I put the hurt on a lot of deer this last year. This time it's been primarily with our 300 Blackouts (speaking of the versatility of the AR platform).

It's become routine at this point. We shoot year round between hunting season (8 months) and a kill permit on a farm. We shoot until there's no room in the freezer and then give away another 5-10 deer a piece any given year. Not complaining, but it's getting harder and harder to do. I find it takes me about 3 days to recover from successful hunting and another 2 to recover from a night or two of butchering.

This year has been a hoot so far. Took two deer in the 230+ pound range--probably well in excess. They filled a very large cooler on their own (usually I can fit 2-3 deer in the thing). Second one was at night when I was hoofing it back to get the vehicle to give SF a hand with a deer one of us had shot (still can't figure out who it belonged to...We both shot at deer in that location...Think he found the other one a few days later frown ).

I was 200 yards from the car and shined my light across the field and shot at one about 150 yards out (missed) and then shined it directly ahead to walk back to the car. There was a massive animal staring at me from about 50 yards. It started charging right at me with the intent of getting to the corn I was next to. I shot it twice--hit both times and spent the next 20 minutes looking. It hit the corn and seemed to disappear. Found it probably 10 yards from where I had been standing when I shot it! It was a MONSTER! Big for a VA deer. Heck, big for deer most places I've been smile

Later, SF and I and my younger son went out one afternoon and it was maybe 40 degrees. Started POURING rain. I threw a poncho over my kid, but he was clearly miserable. I took him back to the car at about 4:30 (hours ended about 5). I had to GO so dropped my pants and did my business while my kid went back to get something for me to clean up with (ahem). Nothing like standing in a field in the pouring icy rain with your "gun" shrinking in the icy breeze. Turns out I had TP in my pack all along...just packed it too well to find it. After I was "decent," my kid went back to he car and I walked back to help SF who I'd heard shoot two deer. As I walked around the bend, two deer took off running for the woods, right toward where my kid and I had been sitting. I took aim and shot the second deer at full run at about 100 yards offhand with my 30-30. Tore both hind legs off at the knees and tore open the chest and stomach. NEVER underestimate the power of a 30-30! Made having wet pants and lost dignity almost worth it!

Last deer I shot so far this season was again with SF...same field. We took out a friend for the first time hunting. Both he and SF shot deer. I shot at two about 100 yards off hand with a 25-06. SF and I found a lot of hair but no blood. We searched all over for one that ran into the woods but no trace. Two weeks later we found it not 20 yards from where we'd been searching. Frost had knocked down a lot of the vegetation frown But while I thought the day had been a loss, SF and I were walking to see if a second deer I had shot at was around in a small thicket I saw it run towards. SF saw the deer bedded down a hundred yards or more out in thick grass. We stalked out to within about 50 yards and I tested my gun on my walking stick and took it down.

Hunting is always more fun with friends! And even better when you can drive your car up to the kill and just quarter it and throw it in the back smile

Keep your guns at the ready and your scent downwind!

Old School Rats

#49098 - 01/08/17 05:06 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Then there was my dad....Day after Christmas, we were all back in the same field--me, my dad, SF, and my oldest. My dad shot one. Every time he comes down, we end up with an all night adventure. This was no different. Think he must have nicked one lung. We tracked it for an hour--great blood at the beginning, then started petering off. I found the trail and started off only to see it jump up and run off 15 yards ahead! We discussed whether to push or wait it out. If it were a gun shot, wait it out would be right, but given it looked like a lung shot, and it wasn't down, we decided to push, so it wouldn't clot up and run off completely. Deer can live a long time with just one lung. Push it, and both are more likely to fill up--at least that was our logic. Besides, we were on the fence line with a park run by a guy our landowner had fired from his farm and who hated anyone hunting the property. We did NOT want that deer running into the park if we could help it. After finding it a third time it jumped the fence into the corn in the park. I cautioned us to stay out and walked the fence, hoping them making noise would push it back over to our side. Instead, the cops showed up...Or park Police, or someone. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was Bubba--the guy that our landowner had fired. Whomever it was, a big SUV came barreling through the corn with a searchlight streaming back and forth.

Although we were completely legal, we hunkered down, waiting for it to pass. Last thing we needed was a run in with cops who may or may not care if we were not doing anything illegal--we were there, with lights, running through the woods at night with guns (we weren't gonna let them get lost in the woods!). Third pass, I saw our deer get back up and come running back to our side. It was that, or get run over. We stumbled out of the woods with no lights, getting cut up by all the thorns. No deer. My dad and SF went back out the next AM. Saw nothing and found no deer. Saddens me, but foxes and vultures gotta eat too, I suppose. At some point you have to say "we did all we could and this one isn't meant to be."

Certainly not the longest tracking job we've had. Several years ago, my dad hit one in archery. We tracked it all night. Slept three hours in the car, hunted for two hours, then tracked it again. 18 hours total. Spots of blood, sporadically at best. That was when I learned I'm a decent tracker. Just when my Dad and SF would give up, I'd find another drop and we'd be off to the races. We tracked it AT LEAST two miles, probably longer, through brush, grass, brambles, fields, thickets, and every sort of imaginable terrain and vegetation. I found it at the end. And it just got up and ran off...No more blood, no more sign. Nothing. Like a ghost. After 18 hours tracking it, I was done. That's also the day I figured out deer can live a LOOOOOONG time with only one lung wink I think it survived that year and possibly beyond. If not, then again, other critters gotta eat too. grin

Old School Rats

#49100 - 01/08/17 07:13 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
To expand a bit on the 300BLK:

300 BLK

-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#49110 - 01/09/17 08:48 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Look into the 6mm Mongoose. That's my next build. 243 out of an AR. That, and a 458 SOCOM--a 45-70 in the same gun.

Old School Rats

#49123 - 01/10/17 12:50 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Have looked into this: It seems a worthy pursuit. smile

-carl

#49133 - 01/11/17 05:33 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

I had not been aware of the 458 SOCOM option- neat! A two-fer!

#49134 - 01/11/17 05:42 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

What I really missed is in 2009, Barnes developed a new bullet specifically for use in the .458 SOCOM, the 300 grain Tipped Triple Shock X, also known as the TTSX or TAC-X.

#49135 - 01/11/17 06:11 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

#49586 - 04/13/17 11:41 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories [Re: Dogtired]
River-8 Offline

Loc: Skamania County, WA
Quote:
Turns out I had TP in my pack all along...just packed it too well to find it.

Yep; that and just being so used to packing bits that one overlooks that one IS packing (useful(?)) bits...

*Slapping forehead*

Old School Rat (#541)

Page 60 of 63 < 1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.