header

Page 3 of 63 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 62 63 >
Topic Options
#27940 - 09/22/13 01:13 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Olí Stupid

A few years back we were bear hunting while the deer were dropping fawns. The bear are really hard on fawns in about the first month and this country is loaded with bear. It was getting on in the afternoon and hot, and we really hadnít done a lot of good when of a sudden my main strike dog opened up in a hard strike. I got out to turn her down, thinking, man that bear must be close as hot and dry as it is.

He was close alright. When I stepped out the door of the truck Olí Stupid was maybe fifty feet off the road. He was sleeping under a big yellow pine, and had himself a nice little bed dug out like a dog will. I donít know what heíd been into, but I guess a bunch of tree sap, because when he got up he had dead pine needles stuck all over him topped off with a nice coat of fine dust. He was the ugliest, dirtiest, most comical looking critter I think I had ever seen.

But funny-looking or not he was in the middle of the fawning, and that was not the place for him to be right then. I turned loose on him, and I swear that little bear stretched out and then proceeded to show those dogs how to run! Now a hound is no slouch when it comes to putting miles behind it, but there are some bear that just canít be caught, and Olí Stupid showed us right then and there he was one of Ďem. Whatís the saying, ďThe bear went over the mountainĒÖÖhe did that and then some. I didnít see hide nor hair of him any more that day, and after several hours I finally gathered up dogs and went to camp.

Well the next day I hunted above camp instead. Another day of no action, so along late I dropped down low. About a hundred yards below where we run the bear the day before, my old dog hits and Iím thinking, I sure hope itís not that little runner again. So I turn down and sure enough up on the hill out pops Olí Stupid. Well, the dogs are still ticked off at him from the day before and really set in to catch him this time. I donít know how much ground they covered, but I had to drive a long way around to get them all gathered up. Olí Stupid had outrun them again, and they were really licking their sore feet when they loaded in the box this night.

Now we didnít set out and just intentionally call him Olí Stupid, like an insult to the little guy. But over the next few weeks, and then the following year I ran that bear at least a half dozen times and never could catch him. It got to the point that if you drove that stretch of road, you were going to see ďthat stupid little bear.Ē One buddy would say, ďHe better get off the road or that stupid little bear is gonna get shot,Ē or Iíd say ďI sure hope were not after that stupid little bear again,Ē and then it just got to where we were calling him Olí Stupid. Mostly I guess we were ticked that he just kept putting us in our place.

Although I havenít seen him this year, the last time I saw him he was alive and well, and right in the middle of Ďhisí patch of hillside. I never bothered turning out on him, no way, heíd done educated me. I would really like to think he brained up enough to get back off the road before he met the guy that would just do a drive-by on him. Olí Stupid showed the dogs and me a lot of country, and Iíd really like to think heís out there somewhere right now having a good chuckle at us.

Ol' Stupid on his hillside

My old strike dog

#27948 - 09/22/13 02:32 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Andy the Aussie Online   content

March this year....

#27949 - 09/22/13 02:49 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

What is the deer species, andy? Is that a mature buck/bull???

#27970 - 09/22/13 07:47 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
I would guess Sambar or Red for species (but that is a WAG), and based upon size am leaning toward Sambar ...but the antlers seem a bit strange. Help us out, Andy.
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#27986 - 09/23/13 04:20 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Andy the Aussie Online   content

They are Black Fallow. There are also Menil and Common Fallow roaming the same area. That is a young/small head but mature (that is why he is still walking wink )

This one was a little larger....

And a MUCH better one taken by my best mate in the same area (think same square KM) ...

Edited by Andy the Aussie (09/23/13 04:21 AM)

#28015 - 09/23/13 01:49 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

I would love to take a Fallow deer some day. They have IMO the best looking antlers of any animal. Great pics Andy.

#28019 - 09/23/13 06:31 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Joshua R.]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Joshua R.
I would love to take a Fallow deer some day. They have IMO the best looking antlers of any animal. Great pics Andy.

Josh, just pack your bow, hop on the plane... wink

#28028 - 09/23/13 11:10 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

Black Fallow. They are a really beautiful animal. Thanks.

#28031 - 09/23/13 11:40 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
There's some great hunting stories here, love that with the dogs. cool

Sometimes I sit and wonder why Iím not in a mental asylum ... then I take a look around me and realize maybe I already am.

#28035 - 09/23/13 11:50 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
I agree. There is something special about a good dog on a hunt. My last was with an Irish Wolfhound pair and black and tan for nose. The BT would find it and the Wolfhounds would end it. But that was many years ago hunting big cats with my father. I've not done it since.
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

Page 3 of 63 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 62 63 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.