header

Page 2 of 66 < 1 2 3 4 ... 65 66 >
Topic Options
#27698 - 09/17/13 10:28 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
bonesmalones Offline

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada
Dog is havin' a smoke! Too funny. Great story Trumby.
I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.
Martha Washington

#27700 - 09/17/13 11:28 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Deefa sounds like she was a real pal. Marbuck couldn't be blamed for that one. smile
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#27721 - 09/18/13 04:49 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Andy the Aussie Offline

From Feb...

#27795 - 09/19/13 02:19 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
This is not exactly hunting, but we were nearly the hunted. grin
I have also shown these pictures before.

This is on a cattle station in the Queensland Gulf, High up and nearly on the Northern Territory border.

Two of us were sent out to look for clean skins (unbranded cattle) near the station border, the purpose was to see whether or not it was worth mustering as clean skins straying across the border usually always became the property of whoever mustered them, the gentlemanís agreement is normally to have representatives from both stations present to share them up in a combined muster. Called border camp.

None of these cattle stations have fences other than holding paddocks, big ones grin and in fact the where we were was called bush paddock, six hundred square miles of nothing except bush, but loaded with cattle, Brumbyís and Buffalo. And the odd wild Donkey.

The two of us set of from a cattle camp about 30 miles east of where these pictures were taken. I owned a decent 35mm camera in those days that I kept in a saddle bag, but unfortunately, it had a short life span as the fine talcum like dust up there (Aussies call bull dust) managed to get into the camera and kill it, even though I kept it rolled up in rag.

Anyway, about mid day I noticed movement well out in the bush so we rode out there to see if there were cattle in the mob, they were only a reasonably sized mob of Buffalo.
So I decided to see if I could get some decent pictures. Being curious as we were on horseback and not on foot I was able to get to about 30 yards off them.

There were a couple of boss bulls among them and in the second picture you can see two of them eying me off, the one on the left broke and charged at me, then the one on the right immediately charged as well.

I guess I wasnít in any real danger as I was on a good horse, unless I fell of the bugger. grin

Here we are first sighting the mob.

The charge, the bull on the right partially hidden in the scrub.

Different day, different place. This big fat old bull was trying to make his mind up if I was worth the energy of a charge. grin

Brumbyís. There was a much larger mob further out, Iíve seem mobs of up 300 out in that country.

If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

#27799 - 09/19/13 09:35 AM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
Those bulls look wicked with their heads thrown back like that, just like they've got you right in the crosshairs. You can definitely tell they're open for business.

#27810 - 09/19/13 01:38 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

This was my first bow kill. Everything that could go wrong on a hunt did but I still managed to take him out.
The hunt started out with me rushing home from work and throwing my hunting clothes on. Completely forgetting cover sent I headed to my stand. Smelling like burnt metal and handle material I made my way across an open field instead of walking the tree line. I got to the creek about 75 yards from my stand and crossed the bridge. Half way across my phone started ringing. I figured at this point my hunt was over so I answered it. I talked for a few min. then decided I would just go sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. I started walking towards the stand when, 50 yards in front of me, right under my stand, this buck stood up. I froze thinking maybe he didn't hear the loud smelly human crashing threw the brush. Much to my surprise he turned and walked right to me. Only problem was that I froze in the middle of a bunch of saplings. I quickly scanned the area to see if there was any place that I could shoot. It turned out that I had one 12 inch lane where I would be able to draw and shoot. Unfortunately he would have to some how drop his head behind a small bush 30 feet from me. Just as he was crossing that point of no return, he dropped his head. I drew back and waited for him to take one more step. Right then the wind shifted, he picked up his head, and he looked right at me. He was quartering towards me so I had a nice shot in front of his shoulder. I also figured that at 30 feet he would not have enough time to react. I was right. He ran about 40 yards and dropped.

#27842 - 09/19/13 11:52 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
Great stories guys. Thanks for sharing.

Never Stop Trying

#27922 - 09/21/13 05:28 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks
Lol. I hate coming out looking like the tomcats have been fighting over you grin I remember those Montana huckleberry patches being full of bear. Luckily, no thorns on huckleberries. The thornberries we have here, however, are another beast entirely.......

You missed a few berries there, my friend. Other berries that grow in Montana (my region) are: Huckleberries, raspberries, tiny wild strawberries and something called thimbleberries. Huckleberries dominate, though. But My protagonist berry patch was a Raspberry bush.
-carl
-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (09/21/13 05:30 PM)

#27929 - 09/21/13 07:34 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Andy the Aussie Offline

Ian, I spent a good bit of time out around Daly River in the mid-1980s, when "Litchfield National Park" was still a cattle station and the Daly River Pub was run by an angry little woman with a revolver on the till...!!!!! I had decent camera with me but all but a few pictures were lots when the exposed film was cooked in the truck.... frown I remember roaming around the bush with a rifle and seeing big mobs of buffalo that defy belief today...!!!!!!

#27930 - 09/21/13 08:33 PM Re: Hunting Pictures and Stories 2013 [Re: Hard Knocks]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

I really don't have much in the way of hunting stories, but there was this time I was hunting a bear that got interesting. That bear had a very distinct track due to an injury of some sort so he was easy to follow. He kept bearing to the left and all of a sudden I came upon my own tracks ...and another set of his. I was following him and he was following me. That got me a bit jumpy because I was running out of daylight had gotten a bit far afield.

I decided to bear to the right, in a large circle, with the daylight I had left. When I came upon my own tracks again there was a third set of bear tracks still following my original route. That gave me the opening to follow my own set of tracks out. Never saw the bear.
-carl

Page 2 of 66 < 1 2 3 4 ... 65 66 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.