Page 13 of 16 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#26057 - 08/15/13 11:17 PM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Originally Posted By: Dogtired
Not a recipe but DANG it is good! Even my wife ate it and liked it! I need to try to replicate it. Something like:

-- 2 lbs venison sliced thin
- 2-3T garlic powder
- 1-2 T onion powder
- 1 t powdered ginger
- 2 T raw sugar
- 3-4 T soy sauce
- 1 T (or less) salt
- 1 T black sesame oil

These proportions are wild guesses. I rarely use recipes, which is a real shame sometimes when I like how it turns out grin

Gonna try that, assume T is Tablespoon and that it aint a rub. What volume of water? Just enough to dissolve ingredients and cover the venison laid flat?
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#26075 - 08/16/13 09:30 AM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

Sounds awesome, need more info Dt.

#26770 - 09/01/13 11:31 AM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
JeremyA Offline

What's your definition of a "bugout"?

Bugout and survival are different, and should be planned for accordingly. My personal definition, and yours may differ, is that bugging out is getting from Point A to a predetermined Point B as soon as possible. You traveling by foot? By off road vehicle (ATV or motorcycle)? By road vehicle? The core of my bugout bag does not include tons of ammo and my wilderness survival gear. I have food, clothes, first aid, some shelter material in case of weather, and of course water. My focus is not on hunting and gathering. It's getting to my location ASAP safely. Remember ounces = pounds and pounds = pain.

In saying all this, I do have my EDC of a Glcok 19 and Glock 26. Handguns are not my preferred self defense modality, but a great backup. I would personally recommend a tactical 12 gauge shotgun (Mossberg 590 or Remington 870). If you are the AR type, I would go with a .308 or a 7.62. I do not own a .223/5.56 AR. I live in Florida and you cannot hunt with this caliber. So to me, a .308 or 7.62 AR is multipurpose for any Bugout OR Survival needs. A 22LR is a great SURVIVAL choice, as is a .270 or 30.06, just not for bugging out. Ammo is plentiful for these latter calibers, but I am not focusing on "plentiful" and carrying large amounts for bugout, I want speed. I have a huge stash of .22 and and .270 when I arrive at "Point B".

My 2 cents.....

#26771 - 09/01/13 03:09 PM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
Drumrboy Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Always on the move
Jeremy, welcome to the Swamp. Glad to see you jumping right in here. Feel free to look around and join in with us. We are a friendly bunch here.

Edited by Drumrboy (09/01/13 10:32 PM)

Never Stop Trying

#26783 - 09/01/13 08:31 PM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

JeremyA-
Welcome to the swamp. I will respond to your post shortly.
-carl

#26785 - 09/01/13 08:58 PM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Carl Theile]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
Originally Posted By: Carl Theile
Originally Posted By: Dogtired
Not a recipe but DANG it is good! Even my wife ate it and liked it! I need to try to replicate it. Something like:

-- 2 lbs venison sliced thin
- 2-3T garlic powder
- 1-2 T onion powder
- 1 t powdered ginger
- 2 T raw sugar
- 3-4 T soy sauce
- 1 T (or less) salt
- 1 T black sesame oil

These proportions are wild guesses. I rarely use recipes, which is a real shame sometimes when I like how it turns out grin

Gonna try that, assume T is Tablespoon and that it aint a rub. What volume of water? Just enough to dissolve ingredients and cover the venison laid flat?
-carl

No water. T is tablespoon. t is teaspoon. mmmm....

Try 1 T garlic and 2 t onion. It should all dissolve in the soy sauce.

Old School Rats

#26786 - 09/01/13 09:05 PM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
Welcome Jeremy. Sometimes you may not have a predetermined point b. I suppose it does depend on the scenario. 223 may not be legal to hunt with, but in a shtf scenario, legality of the caliber is one of my least concerns grin If you can't get to point b and you don't have points c-m like Carl, you need to decide what 5o roll with. Bug out can turn to survival pretty quick. I'm all over the board here...

Old School Rats

#26787 - 09/01/13 09:42 PM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Bugout is an abused term. But rather than try to fix a definition to it, I can at least add to the discussion from my personal perspective.

First, I tend to disagree with your initial statement: "Bugout and survival are different and should be planned for accordingly". Here is why.

I have never planned to be in either mode. That is, I have never planned to bug-out nor planned to have to survive (employ previously obtained knowledge and/or gear to that end).
There I was, minding my own business sipping tea with the ladies and the SHTF with such force I felt it imperative to be elsewhere. To survive, I had to bug-out (get outta dodge) and then I had to figure out if there was a point "B" or any other point (Maybe the SHTF there too?).

Now I have been displaced (read: not with the ladies sipping tea) and I am without the normal means to maintain status-quo.
If I was very clever I might have anticipated this and prepared a grab-it-and-go "kit" that enabled my survival- whatever essential tools I needed to augment previously obtained knowledge. The kit chosen would depend upon intel that is at best frail (how much, how long, how far) so I have developed 2 kits. One anticipates me never being able to return for tea. It is a Bug-Out-Bag. The other anticipates me being able to return and it is also a Bug-Out-Bag. Both make the assumption I am on my own for the duration (I am a skilled scavenger). I have used both and both enabled survival. Both enabled getting outta Dodge with minimal delay (under 30 seconds).
-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (09/02/13 12:21 AM)

#26788 - 09/01/13 09:47 PM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

DT-
Got it. T and t. Will try that now that the fire spared my Point B. smile

#26790 - 09/01/13 10:12 PM Re: Bug Out Gun Choices [Re: Dogtired]
JeremyA Offline

Thanks for the welcoming party smile I could not agree with you more. Every scenario is so different and each one needs to be looked at individually. There is no clear answer, but you have to have a plan. So many people like to assemble bugout bags, or survival kits without knowing their plan to use it. A failure to plan is a plan to fail.....and plans always change smile , so what do you do? In order to plan for everything people buy enough "stuff" for a bunker, which is no longer bugging out, but hunkering down. If you have a bugout situation and you know where you're going, great. If you just need to leave and no clear direction of where you might be going, that warrants a whole new mindset and preparedness, and more than likely you are just running....not judging right or wrong, sometimes it just is...I would consider this a survival situation.

I guess the main idea from my post was to get people thinking of their plan by putting a definition on a situation (yes, this can get blurry quickly). If I need to leave, where would I go? How would I get there? How long would it take under normal conditions? How long do I think it would take if everyone was bugging out and the roads are packed? These questions not only to make you think of how much food, water or gas, you might need, but also the caliber of your firearms. I live in hurricane country and I have been through many. Each hurricane has me evacuating in different directions, but we plan for each as the approach, and are always prepared to adapt.

Plan, prepare, be flexible to adapt your plan.

Page 13 of 16 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.