header

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#26250 - 08/18/13 02:07 PM Bed rolls
MonkeyBomb Offline

Loc: USA
I think I am going to set up a modern bedroll. I plan on keeping it in the truck and throwing it on the bike for short overnight/weekend trips.

Looking at traditonal bedrolls I'm planning on making a few departures. Instead of an 18 foot long length of canvas I'm going to try and see if a 6 x 8 piece of 10 ounce canavas tarp will do the trick. I will mess around with a paracord closure using grommets and maybe snaps.

I am also going to give polar fleece blankets/home made sleep sack for warmth and an old army insulated pad for the bedroll.

If that doesn't do what I am looking for I will sew together 2 surplus wool blankets if I can find them for a reasonable price. Which locally isn't so reasonable.

So what do you have and what do you like and what didn't work out so well for you?

#26254 - 08/18/13 04:12 PM Re: Bed rolls [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
I use canvas and wool ...but I think it will be heavier than you think. Mine is 12X12, 10 ounce, treated with Filson Oilcloth refresher because of my interest in winter camping.

6X8 seems a bit brief.

I'd use better wool or you will be cold. Merino wool comes to mind. Mine is Merino. And I hate fleece- it holds odors.
-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (08/18/13 04:24 PM)

You are not out of options until you quit.

#26265 - 08/18/13 06:21 PM Re: Bed rolls [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
10x10 foot is the best size for a home made bed roll {swag}.

We have hundreds of shop made swags here starting from the plain basic to the elaborate, almost mini tents. grin

Back in my day a ringer (stockman) would buy a good quality piece of canvas, 10x10 and generally use a good quaility wool square blanket. the old army blankets were cheap and usually fair quality.

A ringer would usually have all of his possesions rolled up in that swag, including a pillow, spare clothes.
I always kept my .303 jungle carbine and som ammo rolled into mine as well. It could be thrown onto the back of a truck and bounced along on the bush tracks with no fear of damage to my belongings.

Even the fine bull dust couldn't penetrate into my swag.

About five or six years ago my wife bought me a new one for xmas, far more sofisticated than any I'd had before. I'll dig up some pictures.

Rolled properly and fastened up with a couple of good quality leather straps a swag would last for many years.

Here's some pics of my new one.

The bottom has an eyelet in case you want to hook it to a tree limb to keep it of your feet, a feature I've never used.

Here's a pic of an old one that I used for many years in the cattle camps.
It had heavy wool horse blanket sewn into it and a fold to keep my pillow and clothes.

My rifle used to be placed cross wise and rolled up into it. Common straps used here are sturrup leathers.

Here's another pic minus the bedding.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#26269 - 08/18/13 07:11 PM Re: Bed rolls [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
That new one you have looks pretty nice Ian. Straightforward and simple. Do you recall what kind it is?

Never Stop Trying

#26272 - 08/18/13 08:07 PM Re: Bed rolls [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Here is something that may be of interest:
swags
-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (08/18/13 08:08 PM)

You are not out of options until you quit.

#26275 - 08/18/13 08:15 PM Re: Bed rolls [Re: Drumrboy]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Drumrboy
That new one you have looks pretty nice Ian. Straightforward and simple. Do you recall what kind it is?

It is a local brand, and very heavy duty. Not sure of the canvas weight, but it's quite solid.

If camping in the cold I generally slip my sleeping bag in there with me, but in the north where the weather is always warm I have a couple of wool blankets that I can kick off when I get too hot. grin

When used to sleeping in a swag, you are snug as a bug in a rug. grin

You just throw it on the ground where there are no rocks, roll it out and crawl in.
The only down side is that you don't want to crawl back out the next morning.

Here's another feature that I've not used, it has a mozzy thingo that zipps into the top, for that you need to use the eyelet on the top end to a branch to keep it all away from your face.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#26286 - 08/18/13 11:02 PM Re: Bed rolls [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
Great link Carl. The biker size would make a nice one for the bag.

Now we just need someone in the States to make those.

Never Stop Trying

#26289 - 08/19/13 03:23 AM Re: Bed rolls [Re: MonkeyBomb]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
DB, you can get them online from here if you want to.
And oddly enough shipping in your direction is about 2 times faster than from US to us here.
If they will not ship to US then let me know what you want and I can help.
Here's some: http://www.mrswagman.com.au/index.shtml
http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product-Listing/Camp-and-Hike/Shelter

#26290 - 08/19/13 04:46 AM Re: Bed rolls [Re: MonkeyBomb]
MonkeyBomb Offline

Loc: USA
I may have underestimated the size of canvas I needed. If nothing else I will have another tarp to use,

I know bedrolls are heavy and aren't going to be something you are going to hike around with.

A 10 by 10 piece of 10 ounce canavas should weight 15 to 20 Lbs by itself.

#26291 - 08/19/13 05:15 AM Re: Bed rolls [Re: MonkeyBomb]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
There's a charity here that buys swags for homeless. Those roll/pack into a large(ish) backpack.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.