header

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#25675 - 08/06/13 11:01 PM What would you do?
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
So, I've had something come up recently that got me thinking.

What would you do if you were in an emergency situation and you couldn't take care of yourself?

For example, I might be facing some shoulder surgery coming up soon, and if so I'll be out of action for a few months. Granted, in a true emergency, you tend to push through pain and do what you have to do to survive, but what if you couldn't?

A few years ago while out on tour, I ruptured a disk in my back. That was pain that pushed me beyond what the body can handle. There came a time when my body shut down and no amount of will power would change that.

Or, if you were out on a trail and had a broken leg or in a similar situation.

So, in a situation where you could be a bit helpless, what did, or would you do?

Never Stop Trying

#25677 - 08/06/13 11:33 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
DB-
That is the story of my life. What to do? Never stop trying smile in your words, or You are not out of options until you quit- In mine.

Broken tibia on Lost Johnny Creek- alone, scouting for an elk hunt. After cursin myself for a fool, I began to use my head for something besides a hat-rack and built a splint, crutch, and gathered spare parts for the long, steep, walk out.

Broken ankle (both sides) while climbing in Utah Canyonland doing some photography. Everything vertical, water out of the question, temps in the 90's. Only two miles to help, but none of them had any clue where I was or how to find me. Two vertical (over 200' drops between me and the "trail" in). Calling the only dog in the group (because echos drove human ears crazy) got me help.

What I am saying is that while one might pass out from some trauma- or the pain of it- one is likely to awake with the realization that the best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm. The real question is what is that hand to do?

This is not the worst situation I've been in by a long shot and I am still here ...by using my head and never quitting.

Is this what you are getting at?
-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (08/07/13 12:12 AM)

You are not out of options until you quit.

#25681 - 08/06/13 11:56 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

That's what I'm getting at. Being stuck in situations where it may look like options are few and far between.
There are hundreds of different scenarios that could lead to these situations. Making due (and knowing what to do) are all you can do sometimes. But being mentally prepared is a good first step.

Never Stop Trying

#25686 - 08/07/13 01:40 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Private Klink Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: S/W Missouri
Right on Brothers! wink

#25688 - 08/07/13 01:45 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Spider-Pig Offline

Loc: The Republic of Texas
As much as I love to be alone, stories like Carl's are why its always best to head out with at least one other person.

My Dad had a story similar to Carl's. I don't have all the details. The very short version: My Dad was on horseback in the California mountains when the horse lost his footing and they both went sliding down an outcropping of loose shale. The horse ended up on top of my Dad's leg when they got to the bottom of the canyon. His leg was shattered but thankfully the horse was uninjured and didn't bolt like some do. He was able to pull himself up onto the horse and ride out. Not exactly a life or death situation but it wasn't far from it. The horse could've been injured, or bolted. My Dad could've ended up with a more severe injury.

Stories like these have to make you wonder if you are ever really prepared.

#25719 - 08/07/13 04:11 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Well, being alone was not my choice. You are absolutely correct, of course.

Part of my somewhat unique situation is that I like to go hard into hard places ...and being able to find other idiots with the same passion has proven difficult.

I head into the mountains when storms are predicted, for example, and most folks want the sunny weather after the storm. When I ask, people look at me like I have two heads. I have a reason to do this: I want to be challenged and through challenge, learn and through learning grow my skills. As an aside, I like (or have come to like) being able to prevail no matter what Ma Nature throws my way. This is kind of a personal contest where I compete against myself. An additional benefit is that I get to see nature in her most raw form ...and I like that very much.

One friend who used to accompany me on these trips died. He died doing what he loved. If I die on one of these trips I will have matched him.
-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (08/07/13 09:01 PM)

You are not out of options until you quit.

#25721 - 08/07/13 06:17 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Iíve had a few in my day. One injured when I had a young horse get its tongue over the bit and bolt, I tried to get him to gallop into a dam without any luck and ended up having to bail out meters from a five strand hi-tensile barbed wire fence onto rocky ground.

There was a two and a bit mile crawl on my hands and belly back to the homestead where I was living alone at the time, bugger all food in the house and no one expected to call in for nearly a week. grin

Even the phone line was out as a semi trailer loaded with hay had pulled the overhead line down a couple of days before.
I think it was a Sunday when it happened and I had a casual stockman lined up to work with me the following Friday.

By the time he arrived I was nearly well enough to drive my truck into a hospital that was about 45 miles away. grin
Anyhow I went in style as he drove back to town and called an ambulance.

Miraculously I wasnít too seriously injured and after a week at Tamworth base hospital I was released to go home.
During that week though, I fed myself some stale bread, half a packet of weetbix and some stale biscuits. I was able to get to the tap for water to drink.
My belly had though my throat was cut I was that hungry. The dogs were fine, I had a bag of dog biscuits on the back verandah and they were able to help themselves. grin

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#25722 - 08/07/13 07:21 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Another time I was out shooting pigs for a couple of weeks for blood samples, it was a government requirement to collect them and send them off to the laboratories to test for brucellosis (an abortive disease) and tuberculosis.

I was caught in a big storm, even though it was out of the wet season and spent 11 days bogged to the ass. grin
This time I had my food box with some groceries a 44 gallon drum of water, a 44 gallon drum of diesel and my trusty .303 Jungle Carbine.

After eleven days I managed to get myself out without worrying about lighting a night fire for detection. We had a golden rule out there after it was obvious that we were missing, and in my case it would have been after a couple of weeks.

My closest connection to human beings would have been the cattle camps about eighty miles to the north and the main station a little further to the east, so there was no running for help.
We were to light a night fire and a plane or chopper would look at night, it would be sent from Lawn Hill station just over the Northern territory border, but would not happen until someone was missing to the extent where it was obvious that something was badly wrong.

I didnít fair too badly, I managed to shoot a steer not far from where I was bogged so had plenty of meat.

The worst part was the solitude and the mud as well as bloody mosquitoes, every step I took in the wet black soil seemed to have you standing another couple of inches taller. grin

Very rarely on these cattle stations are you working with company, the cattle camps always have six or seven workers there, but most other duties are one person jobs. They include bore running and checking of fences. Bearing in mind that cattle stations in those areas are all around 1000 square miles with some much larger.

I mentioned to the manager that I had been bogged for eleven days when I eventually got back to the station, but he only nodded and grunted, no big deal to him. grin

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most................."

#25756 - 08/08/13 07:39 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Hard Knocks Offline

Loc: SW Idaho USA
DB,

I'm not sure how to combat all of the 'what-ifs' that a guy can get into, but you've definitely touched on a biggie, mental preparedness. Be strong mentally and go over your options in your head before acting on them.

I would also say keep an upbeat attitude when things seem at their worst. Don't get defeatist. Death is waiting if a person gives into the negativity. Also, it's amazing what a little rest and hot food will do for the attitude when you're at your wits end.

I have hunted all over the NW United States behind a dog or with a rifle over my shoulder, usually by myself. My mother-in-law is convinced I will disappear one of these days, and she has a valid point. In my defense, I will say this: When I'm hunting/scouting, etc. alone, I am disciplined and careful about what I am getting into. With others, even good people, I lose some of my edge.

Cheers to you for a good question and making us think.

#25761 - 08/09/13 02:12 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Drumrboy]
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Well, the whole point of this question was to get everyone to think.

We have some guys here that have seen it all and done it all, but there are also a lot of people that might not have given it much thought.

Like HK said, you can't plan for every "what if", but you can have a plan going in to things.

Never Stop Trying

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.