header

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#25066 - 07/18/13 09:04 PM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Bravo Offline

Joshua, you have good loads and a good spotting scope?
I got my start like a lot of guys do, but then decided to try my hand at service rifle competitions. Met a guy there that offered to mentor / coach me, and it worked out really well. That was back when you'd get laughed at if you showed up with an AR15 LOL!
Dunno where you're at, but if you can get into a rifle comp, do so.
I spent a lot of years loading 88 special rounds for every other Saturday.
If you have good fundamentals, I'd recommend an Appleseed clinic. The instructors can tune you up pretty well, typically. I did the instructor thing for a while with them, it's a decent organization, and all across the US.

Carl, last class I did was another shotgun. I love the things, and that's my choice for defensive stuff. People don't give the shotgun nearly enough credit. And before anyone says "but you're limited in range", hitting at 200 was a cake-walk, and that's outside typical self-defense ranges HA!

#25068 - 07/18/13 09:20 PM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Bravo-
As a defensive round, it is hard to beat. I even had one with a reverse trigger (you pulled the trigger to prevent it from firing). So in CQB, if you took a round something/someone was getting blasted. They made me hang that one up. smile
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#25079 - 07/19/13 12:50 AM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Drumrboy Online   content
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
I don't think I've ever seen a gun with a dead man switch on it. That's pretty interesting. What type of shotgun was it?

Never Stop Trying

#25081 - 07/19/13 02:38 AM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Bravo Offline

Ha!
Yeah, I've heard of the release triggers, but I thought those were only on high-end target shotguns.

People don't give the shotgun enough respect.
For instance, trying to get through a car windshield precisely with a 9mm / 45 ACP is doable, but not easy by any means. Ditto with the 5.56 or 7.62 NATO going through standard window glass.
A 12 gauge slug just doesn't much care what's in the way - well, not nearly as much as the other rounds ;-)

Two of the best professional gunslingers I know have told me that the first firearm they'd pick up if they knew for a fact they were walking into a gunfight, would always be an 870. And one of them runs a really pretty 12" Vang Comp custom Benelli M4 as a range queen LOL!

#25082 - 07/19/13 09:00 AM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

Bravo, I will look into the Appleseed clinic. I plan on going to Camp Perry for the national matches this year. I have talked to a few guys that have been and they said that the guys shooting were very good at talking to everyone. I plan on doing a little brain picking while I am there.

#25094 - 07/19/13 12:27 PM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Bravo Offline

I'm with you on Perry, best of luck!
One of the guys I shot with was Presidents Hundred, he tried to get me to head to Perry. I'm a kind of an odd guy..... I don't mind coming in middle of the pack, that just means that other people are better than me. What I can't stand is coming in last - so I don't make the trip until I know I can "be competitive" ;-)

Besides, Perry is a LONG ways from me.

On the good side, that guy, when he was trying to convince me to go, told me about his first time there. He said that he fired his two spotter rounds, made his adjustments, and looked up and down the line thinking "I'm here with the best shooters in the country".
"And I have no idea where those first two rounds went". LOL!

#25096 - 07/19/13 02:51 PM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

That would be an amazing experience. My goal is to compete some day. I still have a few things I need to do before I try. my gun is getting close. I am hoping once I get a chance to see how the best shooters prepare and what they do for adjustments, I will be in better shape. I have come to the realization that just shooting sub MOA is not going to get me anywhere. I am hoping with a new scope and trigger, I will be able to tighten up the groups to be a little more competitive. OH and a lot more practice.

#25102 - 07/20/13 12:38 AM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Drumrboy]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Drumrboy
I don't think I've ever seen a gun with a dead man switch on it. That's pretty interesting. What type of shotgun was it?

DB, here they are called release triggers and must be noted on the side of the gun in competition, or practice in any gun club.
It's just a safety rule.

The ones using them tend to feel an advantage if they have a flinching problem.

The bet Skeet shooter here in Australia uses a release trigger, I've tried a few shots through a shotgun with it, but never felt comfortable with it, it needs getting used to.

If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

#25155 - 07/21/13 10:01 PM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Well, learned something today: There is a real term for and use of "release triggers". I did not know what I had. I just surmised it was a sort of doomsday gun smile
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#25161 - 07/22/13 08:09 AM Re: OT: My baby lives... [Re: Joshua R.]
Drumrboy Online   content
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
You can take my gun from my cold dead hand....just be careful taking it out of said hand!

I can see how a release trigger would be a bit of an advantage in competition. Or even precision rifle shooting. I'd like to try one sometime.

Never Stop Trying

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.