header

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#23701 - 06/20/13 05:32 AM Rodent 5 Reviews
On The Rocks Offline

Hello.

I have been looking at what high end knives to buy now for a very, long time. I am pretty much settled on Busse knives and Rats in particular.

I want one for camp duties and the other for field dressing.

The field dressing knives I am looking for are: an Elmax 375, BDLE or a Weiner Dog. Those mudder handles are pretty sweet! I am looking at a Mud Puppy as well right now waiting to see if it is still available. I think the Max would be my first choice but hard to find.

As for the camp knife I have gotten into this debate about size being bigger is better. I was looking at the R6 but it is a tank of a knife and I just don't see myself using it to its full potential. I am certain the R5 is a more exacting fit for my uses. However, I have found no reviews and very little talk about this knife anywhere. I am certain many of you have this knife so was hoping maybe someone could post up a review. I am not hard on knives at all. There would be little to no battoning of wood just simple tasks. However, I would like to know what this baby could handle.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

#23702 - 06/20/13 06:48 AM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
RobStanley Offline

Loc: Straya
I reckon the Scrapyard 411 might be more suited to your needs. I nice comfy mudder handle, and just enough guts in the blade so you can be rough with it without worrying about damaging it.

They're available right now and they're the same steel as the Swampies - SR101. If you would prefer a Swamprat, the Rodent 4 is pretty much a full tang handled version of the SYKCO 411. Both are tough as hell, but fine enough to do small chores and food prep.

I have both, and both are awesome!

Edited by RobStanley (06/20/13 06:49 AM)

#23703 - 06/20/13 07:18 AM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
On The Rocks Offline

I am certain I am going with the two knife combo with the slicer just being used for field dressing and nothing else. I want thin for this knife so the Elmax 375 I feel is ideal (just a matter of finding one now though!!)

I like the R4 for certain and who knows down the road will probably wind up like the rest of you with the whole collection and then some!

I think for camp chores the smallest I would look into is a 5" as originally that is what I was looking for was a 5"-6" blade. Others said to go much bigger like 7"-11" but for me this is just way overkill (at this time of course).

So I think the R5 is right for me just hoping to hear from people who like to get out there abuse the hell out of their gear and tell the rest of us all about it.

Just curious why is the choil square like that on the 411?

Also, of topic, but what does SPF mean when looking at a post of somebody selling knives??

noob, I know.

Edited by On The Rocks (06/20/13 07:24 AM)

#23704 - 06/20/13 08:13 AM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
meluck Offline

SPF sold pending funds. May want to look at the RMD, but it sounds like your set on the R5. Don't have one, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

#23705 - 06/20/13 08:26 AM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
Joshua R. Offline
Die Hard Rat

The Rodent 5 is a great choice from what I believe you are looking for in a camp knife, it will do the job with no problem. You may want to baton it through some wood once in a while just to let it know that you still care.

#23706 - 06/20/13 08:27 AM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
SPF means Sold, Pending Funds.

The square choil is the Scrap Yard trademark of sorts.
Mud Puppy, Scrap Muk, Vex, and hollow ground variant of Rodent Solution should be good alternatives to ScrapMax 375 for field dressing, if Crazy Squirrel comes along he's probably going to vouch for War Dog as well.
I'm also in the larger camp knife group, R6, 711 or 911, Chopweiler or TGLB will be riding in my pack whenever I'm out in the bush. I'm also tempted to give B10 a go, lotsa knife in a light package.
There are no reviews of R5 yet because its been only a few weeks since the first batch was delivered.

#23712 - 06/20/13 09:47 AM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
On The Rocks Offline

I have looked a lot at the RMD vs. the R5. A lot of people love their RMD. However, without actually getting to hold them both and going just from everything I have read about both I think the R5 is more in line with what I would like. Could be wrong of course but I think from the sounds of it can't go wrong with either knife.

There are a few Muks for sale right now but that shape is very different from anything I have ever used before. I am used to super thin and narrow blades so that is why was thinking the BDLE or the Weiner Dog. The Elmax 375 is under 0.10 so nicely thin.

Impossible to find a BDLE or WD though eh?? How about a 375??

SPF. Now that you say it makes perfect sense. Should have come up with that on my own.

#23713 - 06/20/13 10:02 AM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
There was a War Dog HACK (the Busse version) on exchange today, I think Legaleagle. The HACK WDs are hollow ground so they have a nice edge and solid spine.

#23715 - 06/20/13 03:24 PM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
aaaa_cccc Offline

Could you try to list exactly which tasks you see yourself performing?

Reason I ask is this is the only way to tell which knife fits your needs best. All of the knives mentioned are well made (obviously), but not necessarily the best choice for YOU.

#23717 - 06/20/13 05:00 PM Re: Rodent 5 Reviews [Re: On The Rocks]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Welcome to the swamp "On The Rocks" cool

I agree, the R5 would be about perfect for a camp/bush knife, with a thin drop point for game prep as a second knife.
Ian.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.