header

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#23187 - 06/10/13 09:09 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
Welcome BR. Thanks for the perspective. Please don't confuse my comments about greed, contention, and entitlement with the system of government laid out in the Constitution. Rather, the current parties--one more than the other IMO but both are complicit--garner votes by playing the class card, the race card and whatever other cards they can in order to build up those above mentioned feelings among the electorate. My fear is with so many people dependent on the govt and feeling SOMEONE OUGHT to be providing for them, that could cause issues when the system gets severely stressed.

Our government, or rather our politicians (again, both parties are guilty to some degree), encourage greater reliance on it through the creation of a social welfare state leading us to a situation where "we the people" are subservient to "we the government" rather than vice versa. What happens to the sheep when the shepherd can no longer provide?

Old School Rats

#23193 - 06/10/13 09:49 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
DT-
Feel free to express any opinion as long as it is "homogenized" and smells like sheep(le). smile

We are a diverse group, but I think we agree on three things: disagreement is encouraged here; individualiasm is encouraged here; ________________________ (you fill in the blank).
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#23194 - 06/10/13 09:54 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

One of my favorite quotes:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, while the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to him. Therefore, all progress is made by the unreasonable man.
-carl

#23201 - 06/10/13 11:01 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Black Rifle Offline

Originally Posted By: Dogtired
Welcome BR. Thanks for the perspective. Please don't confuse my comments about greed, contention, and entitlement with the system of government laid out in the Constitution. Rather, the current parties--one more than the other IMO but both are complicit--garner votes by playing the class card, the race card and whatever other cards they can in order to build up those above mentioned feelings among the electorate. My fear is with so many people dependent on the govt and feeling SOMEONE OUGHT to be providing for them, that could cause issues when the system gets severely stressed.

Our government, or rather our politicians (again, both parties are guilty to some degree), encourage greater reliance on it through the creation of a social welfare state leading us to a situation where "we the people" are subservient to "we the government" rather than vice versa. What happens to the sheep when the shepherd can no longer provide?

DT, no confusion was taken and I could not agree more with you on your comments concerning the race card and hand outs. The current political system is motivated on catering to a society bent on self gratification and an attitude "of what's in it for me". Many Americans have lost the ability of self reliance and are dependent on a system that can no longer sustain the masses. My words may have been a bit harsh and far to the right of thinking but all one has to do is look at the world news and events. Our intellectual politicians are jeopardizing our future and if they keep going, will draw this country into a greater depression than what was experienced by our grandparents. There is a scriptural verse about wishing on calamity but America needs a wakeup call to bring back common dignity to all.

#23202 - 06/10/13 11:02 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Black Rifle Offline

I like this place so I guess I'll stick around.

#23203 - 06/10/13 11:20 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
grin Hope you do grin

Old School Rats

#23212 - 06/10/13 11:50 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Good-
Now we have quite a few "unreasonable" men aboard.
-carl

#23248 - 06/11/13 11:37 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Politics according to Carl:
So, the definition of a politician is: One who figures out which way the crowd is running, gets in front, and yells "Come this way".

The observing party(ies) note the popularity of the individual and hop on the bandwagon and make him/her a candidate.

The crowd, pleased to have such an astute leader, invariably votes to put him/her into office.

But the crowd is fickle, has a short attenntion span, is influenced by everything and thoughtful about nothing. They begin to wonder how such an idiot got into office.

And in 4 years we repeat the process.

I jest, of course....
-carl

#23266 - 06/12/13 08:37 AM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
bonesmalones Offline

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada
I don't think any of this can be attributed to one political party or another. Their points of view are just a reaction to what's going on. I happen to be a Libtard - I voted for President Obama twice. I think this "wake up call" is inevitable. Not just for America. I think of it as a natural correction to the fact that there are just way too many of us inhabiting this planet right now and we're straining it's natural resources. Not sustainable is right! That's the really ugly picture that I see. So in the end I agree that preparing for this is very wise.

Now go and have a nice day!
I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.
Martha Washington

#23267 - 06/12/13 08:38 AM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
bonesmalones Offline

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada
And Welcome Black Rifle! The Swamp is a fun place to hang out!
I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.
Martha Washington

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.