header

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#22753 - 06/02/13 10:13 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
It's one thing on your own. It's quite another with young children.

Old School Rats

#22755 - 06/02/13 10:17 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Originally Posted By: Dogtired
It's one thing on your own. It's quite another with young children.

Boy, don't I get THAT. My kid is 44 now and a better woodsman than I. She grew-up learning everything I could teach, then added to it. I count her an asset (LEO, EMT, Naturalist, Capt. in the fire Dept., etc.).
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#22760 - 06/02/13 10:22 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Nice. I'm working with the two boys now on scouting, tracking, shooting, hunting, fire making and shelter building. The girls are still a little young although they all enjoy fishing.

Old School Rats

#22765 - 06/02/13 10:26 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Nice. I'm working with the two boys now on scouting, tracking, shooting, hunting, fire making and shelter building. The girls are still a little young although they all enjoy fishing.

Great! If the timeline is wrong they also become assets. True preperation is a lifetime effort. Realities change, needs change; one needs to adapt.
-carl

#22767 - 06/02/13 10:28 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Amen. I wouldn't have thought at this age I'd be having as many health issues as I am. But you deal with what life throws, adapt, and move on.

Edited by Dogtired (06/02/13 10:28 PM)

Old School Rats

#22787 - 06/03/13 05:44 AM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Fortunately, we have a creek behind us and a great ceramic filtration system that can keep us going for a while, but I'd like to be storing more water too. Unfortunately, THAT is heavy and space consuming...

Not always, you can easily place a five thousand gallon polly water tank underground, fed from the roof.

I have mine above ground as I don't really have a space problem. My ten thousand gallon tank never gets down to below half full.
Apart from irrigation that is fed from a dam down in the bottom paddock. We rely on tank water for everything else as we're not on town water.

Edit to add:
Here is my place from above, at the back of the house near the bottom of the picture you can see the polly tank hooked up to the house. I have two others also as a standby.

Edited by Trumby (06/03/13 05:49 AM)

If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

#22796 - 06/03/13 03:36 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Ian-
We have considerable advantqage, being "seniors", at having chosen well our place of homestead, and having it set-up like we know it should be set-up. We could hunker down and do real well for quite a spell. Many on this site have a way to go yet. You showing what is possible is a great training tool.
-carl

#22802 - 06/03/13 08:01 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Now that's a right interesting set up Ian. Not sure the HOA (or my wife) would approve the below ground tank. With the pollution here, we'd still need to treat the rainwater, but we've been looking into rainwater collection units (55 gallon or so ones) to keep our garden watered during the hot summers here.

Old School Rats

#22851 - 06/04/13 05:23 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

DT,
Here are some pics of my main tank.

I also have a 1000 gallons in the air for gravity feed when the power grid is down.

I need to pump up to it from the main tank though. With solar hot water it means we can still have a hot shower and have freash drinking water into the house. But less force than the pump that normally pushes it.

IMO, filling drums is like pidling in the wind, you can bury 1000, gals under ground nearly as easily. You do however need a small petrol powered pump to push the water up when the power is out. But normally a small electrical pump is fine under normal times to use the tank water for gardening or whatever.
If it was me it would be the other way around. grin
I hate the taste of chemicles that we get in town water and have spent my life drinking it fresh from the sky.

#22854 - 06/04/13 06:22 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

We could switch the town power of here for six months and the only thing that would suffer is the freezer. grin

The freezer then becomes your refrigerator, Then, I only would keep stuff in it that needs to be cool. I’ve spent half of my life without town power, so I do know how to survive without it.
My wife is a whiz at growing fruit and vegetables, she should be, she grew up with ten other brothers and sisters helping her father with his market gardens, they were in the gardens helping from five years of age.

I’m not much of a gardener; I always reckoned they were sod busters. grin but have spent a lifetime on the land and killing/butchering and it is second nature. It was one of my jobs on the land and we never bought meat from a butcher.
When I was a kid, rabbits were a staple diet and my grandmother knew nearly every way to cook a rabbit. Just to make our food taste a little different. grin

One of my jobs was to take my small Fox Terrier, an axe and a sugar bag to catch rabbits. He became that good at it he not only would find the hollow logs with a rabbit in it, he would stand there with his nose on the spot where it was sitting.
All I would need to do was scarf a bit out of the log and pull the rabbit out. A good tip getting them if they move up the log a little is to have a green stick and poke it into the rabbits fur and twirl it around until it winds the fur up, all you need to do then is pull him out with the stick. laugh

Anyway, I’m rambling again, but if anyone wants some tips on how to live without town power, I reckon I could fill in the answers. grin

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.