header

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#22686 - 06/02/13 12:42 AM End of the World as we Know it?
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: In a phone booth near you
So I was buying ammo at the local SGS and I ran into a guy who works at a think tank. Former congressional candidate. Smart guy. He starts in about how we've got about three years. The economic models his think tank runs show the economy heading for collapse within about 3 years. Non-discretionary spending outstrips annual tax revenue by almost a trillion dollars a year. Add in discretionary spending and we are outstripping revenue by several trillion per year. He then talked about how his firm is now encouraging the government to spend so it hits that wall sooner and we can get on to the next phase--the sooner we collapse the sooner we recover.

That said, he said his think tank is looking at three years until recovery begins. In the interim, he's looking at three years of chaos--like the meltdown in Greece, only on a far grander scale since our economy is bigger and our debt crisis far more deep. His group is advocating 10k rounds per platform, at least a year of food, and a plan to survive as a community.

Now, I don't know him or his think tank but what he said made a lot of sense. So, my questions:

1. Anyone else hearing this?

2. Anyone else putting stock in this?

3. Anyone got 10k in 223, 22, 45, and 9mm they wanna loan me for the next 6 years? grin

Old School Rats

#22715 - 06/02/13 05:50 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Scary stuff, no doubt. I'm getting too old to live off the land, but still do to a significant degree- more by choice than necessity... That said, life could get real hard if there were no other option.

Don't know that I believe the conclusions of the think tank, but have (and am) watching fairly closely. What I mean by this is that things are not getting better IMHO, but worse. That timeline is in question, as are the recommendations. 1K rounds of .22 will feed my family for 3 years (already has). Another 1K rounds of 7.62X39 should defend what I have here. Three additional caches of similar ilk should do me.

But then, I've been a woodsman all my life and stay fairly close to that heritage- so I am odd man out.
-carl

Edited by Carl Theile (06/02/13 06:00 PM)

You are not out of options until you quit.

#22722 - 06/02/13 07:49 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Spoke with a Democrat friend tonight who works in a different think tank who said they'd pretty much arrived at the same conclusion as the other gentleman. That's not the bipartisanship I was expecting...

Old School Rats

#22724 - 06/02/13 07:57 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
The bad thing for you guys is that with all that hardware in US, if people were to fend for themselves and live without shops all animals in the country (and possibly continent) could be brought near extinction rather quickly...

#22725 - 06/02/13 08:00 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

At this point I'm putting all available free cash into precious metals--lead and steel--and food storage. This year will see a lot of canning of meat and making of jerky.

Make a plan. Be prepared. Worst case, you need neither. But better to be prepared for potentials than scrambling with the sheeple to survive when the balloon goes up.

Old School Rats

#22726 - 06/02/13 08:03 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: elof_alv]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

Originally Posted By: elof_alv
The bad thing for you guys is that with all that hardware in US, if people were to fend for themselves and live without shops all animals in the country (and possibly continent) could be brought near extinction rather quickly...

That's what happened in the Great Depression. There were virtually no deer in VA from the 1930s until the 1970s. Fortunately my kids aren't so picky that they won't eat rodents grin

Old School Rats

#22729 - 06/02/13 08:42 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Dogtired
Spoke with a Democrat friend tonight who works in a different think tank who said they'd pretty much arrived at the same conclusion as the other gentleman. That's not the bipartisanship I was expecting...

When the chips are down, partisanship goes out the window if based upon some philosophical difference. Folks get real pragmatic in a real hurry.
-carl

#22730 - 06/02/13 08:45 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: elof_alv]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: elof_alv

...you presume too much, Elof. Most folks really don't know much about hunting here. They think meat comes from the market.
-carl

#22732 - 06/02/13 08:48 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

[quote=Dogtired That's what happened in the Great Depression. There were virtually no deer in VA from the 1930s until the 1970s. Fortunately my kids aren't so picky that they won't eat rodents grin [/quote]

Back then, folks could hunt ...because that was more a part of living. Not so today, though I am not all that sure every living thing might become a target......
-carl

#22735 - 06/02/13 09:13 PM Re: End of the World as we Know it? [Re: Dogtired]
Dogtired Offline
Die Hard Rat

There's still enough of us that hunt that I think things could get bad pretty quick. Especially if we've got nothing else to eat and need to provide for more than just our own.

Old School Rats

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.