Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#13403 - 07/23/12 04:40 PM
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;7246
They are just mean. I'm talking chase you down mean.

Most of our snakes will try to avoid you, there are a couple of exceptions, the Tiger snake can become aggressive, also the Western Brown (Gwardar) doesn't seem to try and get out of your way either. The death Adder also seems sluggish and will lay around instead of moving off.

I've lost horses, cattle and dogs to snakes over the years, the dogs being the aggressor get bit usually trying to kill the snake, though most of my working dogs tend to steer clear of them.

Sometimes I sit and wonder why Iím not in a mental asylum ... then I take a look around me and realize maybe I already am.

#13404 - 07/23/12 05:01 PM
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
I've never lost an animal to one. My sister always had cats, and I can't even tell you how many times they would bring us a good sized snake to show off. Usually minus the head. They brought all sorts, but mainly blacks and copperheads though. They were good woods cats and weren't afraid of much. Certainly not a 4' copperhead! When we had the copperhead nest, and there were a mess of babies, we would find at least 10 a day on the porch. I'm generally more of a dog person, but I've got no problems with a cat doing snake duty!

Never Stop Trying

#13405 - 07/23/12 06:55 PM
Carl Theile Online   content
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Drumrboy-
Well, I think I might have this figured out.
When I am out and about, I am usually hungry, looking for something to eat. I've eaten more than a few snakes, so they see me as someone to avoid.

You were in their habitat taking their food and saw you as someone to attack or drive off. (I am aassuming you to be a good fisherman. When I fish they just laugh). So quit fishing and the snakes will go away.
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#13406 - 07/23/12 07:31 PM
Andy the Aussie Online   content

If I am out in the bush soemwhere I just leave them be, if they are around camp/home etc then they have to go as the risks are just not worth it. This was a really bad year for Eastern/Common Brown Snakes around where I hunt. Nothing puts a spring in your step like one making good time down a track TOWARDS you (just drove to a gate and was out opening it, my guess is he/she was sunning on the side of the rack and the Landcruiser put the fear into him/her).

#13407 - 07/23/12 08:04 PM
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie;7255
This was a really bad year for Eastern/Common Brown Snakes around where I hunt.

I never seen a brown around home this year.
Though, the electricity guy that came to rid our booster box of a fried Possum recently was telling me he seen a monster Brown near the pole, he said it hi-tailed into the bush and was heading down towards our house. I kept a pretty good watch out for him, but still haven't seen him. He'll be around though. laugh

Sometimes I sit and wonder why Iím not in a mental asylum ... then I take a look around me and realize maybe I already am.

#13408 - 07/23/12 08:12 PM
Drumrboy Offline
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Always on the move
Originally Posted By: Carl Theile;7251

You were in their habitat taking their food and saw you as someone to attack or drive off. (I am aassuming you to be a good fisherman. When I fish they just laugh). So quit fishing and the snakes will go away.
-carl

I've been know to throw out a mean fly from time to time. I had a nice bass (yes, fly fishing for bass) that I lost to a moccasin. I wasn't too happy about that one. But I wasn't about to fight him for it!

Never Stop Trying

#13409 - 07/23/12 09:24 PM
Carl Theile Online   content
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Originally Posted By: Drumrboy;7264
I've been know to throw out a mean fly from time to time. I had a nice bass (yes, fly fishing for bass) that I lost to a moccasin. I wasn't too happy about that one. But I wasn't about to fight him for it!

Well, I am such a bad fisherman I would have tried. I catch a fish and she's mine.mad
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

#13410 - 07/24/12 10:23 PM
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

I once lost a lovely big Suffolk Punch mare to a Western Brown, I managed to find her laying in a bore drain with the typical bite makes to the lips that had turned blue.
Cattle are an easy find as they get it on the tongue, they curl their tongue around their feed and tear it away, where as the horse being a selective feeder sort through the green pick with their lips.

I also lost another horse on that same property, one of the station stock horses, luckily I didn't loose one of my own.

Same place, I returned after mustering and was just making a cup of tea in the kitchen when all of the dogs started barking out the back. I had just stepped out of the fly screen door and witnessed a big western brown strike at and hit one of my dogs on the side of the neck. I kept a .410 shotgun loaded under the settee on the verandah, so I grabbed that and took a shot at him as he was sliding under a concrete slab in the tractor shed. I recon I hit him in the tail section.
I went back to the dog and he was lying on his side quivering, in what seemed about thirty seconds, he was still and dead. I spoke to a vet later down the track about it and he reckoned that the bite probably hit an artery. hence his quick death.

I could go on about snake bite and animals. I lost a stock horse to a Copper Head. (Different to the American Copper Head) I also had a dog survive a bite from, a Blue Belly Black, she was lucky, must have been a poor bite, but she was laid up for more than a week.

Plus I've been bitten on the web between the fingers by a Red Belly Black. (my fault) I must say it was the most excruciating pain that night that I've felt).

#13411 - 07/26/12 09:11 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline

Loc: USA
On the farm. I always had a flat bladed shovel handy. Too many poisonous snakes. Makes it easy to take a snakes head right off. I left most non poisonous snakes alone. The keep rodents down. Unless they got into the chicken coop they were safe. Of course the SOB's would eat eggs and try to leave through a knothole etc. A few wooden eggs catchs them pretty quick. I absolutely hated reaching under a hen to check for an egg and finding a snake.

#13412 - 07/27/12 02:45 AM
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Rattus norvegicus

Originally Posted By: MonkeyBomb;7456
On the farm. I always had a flat bladed shovel handy. Too many poisonous snakes. Makes it easy to take a snakes head right off.

They're fairly harmless once the head is missing. laugh

A lot of farmers her keep a doubled over piece of eight gauge wire handy near the back door, they break their backs with it. They are still dangerous with broken backs though.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.