header

Page 27 of 33 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
#11117 - 11/10/12 06:44 PM
PatrickKnight Offline

Yea they do thank you very much. Which would you say would be a tougher knife. Reason I ask is I have been "asked" to stop carrying a fixed blade at work so now I need to try to find a folder that can take what I dish out on my ESEE 3. As I said I would much prefer a Strider but that just isnt in the budget right now and I have heard these knives are pretty darn tough. Question is which one would be as close to as tough as a Strider SnG.

#11118 - 11/10/12 06:56 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

As to which compliments a SNG, it's obviously the 0550 because it has no flipper and is opened with a thumb. Overall size is similar too.

But, for me...I'm flipper biased. So, if I had to choose one over the other I'd give a slight edge too the 0560. If the 0550 had a flipper...this would be very difficult to decide.

If the bosses want you to get rid of the fixed blade, and you want a knife that opens more like and is sized more like the SNG...0550 is the one.

You are aware that mine is an early version, there is an updated version and recently a limited run with black DLC blades?

I'm pretty sure "Kershawguy" over on BF mentioned he's got them for sale. I don't know the guy, have never purchased anything from him, but I haven't heard anything negative.

#11119 - 11/10/12 07:08 PM
PatrickKnight Offline

I checked for the DLC bladed ones but it seems like most of those are gone already. I did however find out they made the Gen-2 which has the 560 deep carry clip with I like and they redid a little pieces on the frame lock that allows the blade to deploy much easier than the first gen did. Both of which I really like not to mention I found a store where I can snag one up for 160 shipped for the Gen-2 non blem brand new in box which seems like a heck of a deal for a knife of that quality. Thing that sucks though is this is cutting into my Swamp Rat fund.

#11120 - 11/10/12 07:57 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

Did you notice my 0560 rocks an XM clip?

I'm not fond of deep carry. I don't give a rats ass if others can see a bit of my knife, I need to be able to grab it and deploy it when it's needed. A lanyard helps with either clip choice.

Most deployment issues on the Gen 1 were operator ignorance. And a few that traded hands had blade play because some of them fell again to ignorance as some folks fiddled with the pivots and lockbars.

At $160 it's a buy.

#11121 - 11/10/12 08:02 PM
PatrickKnight Offline

Now I just need to see if I can get a cool orange scales for the Gen-2.

Normally I dont care who sees my knife either but if I am being asked not to carry a fixed blade I dont want to give them any reason to tell me I cant carry a folder either. I dont care if customers see it but id rather my boss not just so he doesnt try to say anything to be about it.

Also how about the different steels? Are they pretty similar or is the ELMAX a good upgrade over the S35vn.

Btw thanks for taking the time to help me here im pretty far off from knowing what a good folder is.

#11122 - 11/10/12 08:39 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

I would not consider Elmax an upgrade to other powdered super steels, its "on par" with them. For example, is a Ferrari that much nicer then its Lamborghini counterpart?

Hinderer textured Orange scales are a hard to find item. I get e-mails and such asking if I'll part with mine. I know the frag was offered, but don't know how available it is.

And the aftermarket has several "unofficial" option. I stay away from unofficial parts partially for the obvious warranty interference and out of respect for the makers.

You are welcome. I feel this is what forums are for.

#11123 - 11/10/12 09:11 PM
PatrickKnight Offline

Originally Posted By: Need2Know;12193
I would not consider Elmax an upgrade to other powdered super steels, its "on par" with them. For example, is a Ferrari that much nicer then its Lamborghini counterpart?

Hinderer textured Orange scales are a hard to find item. I get e-mails and such asking if I'll part with mine. I know the frag was offered, but don't know how available it is.

And the aftermarket has several "unofficial" option. I stay away from unofficial parts partially for the obvious warranty interference and out of respect for the makers.

You are welcome. I feel this is what forums are for.

I know you said that a regular joe like myself cant order direct from Hinderer but is that only knives or anything they sell. Reason I ask is that it appears the orange scale for a 550 is listed on there site.

I also looked into the frag scales but I think I like the texturing on the Hinderer scale a bit better, it doesnt appear to be quiet as aggresive while still being a very good upgrade in grip over the stock scale (which imo is just damn ugly I wish they would use the 560 type scale on the 550).

#11124 - 11/10/12 09:22 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

Don't know where you see the scale for sale. Please PM me a link. I'm not in the market, but on Hinderer's site all I see are XM parts.

Anyone can buy pieces that are in stock. It's the knives that are difficult to buy.

Oh, since we're talking about Hinderers....if you tuck away the $20/week (like I mentioned), you're only about 30-35 weeks from being able to afford a XM (3.5" or 3") on the open market.

I'm no fan of the original ZT 0550 scale and own no frag (even though I've had many, many chances to buy it; even a shot at very early runs since I was at Blade 2011 when it was introduced for XMs).

#11125 - 11/10/12 10:58 PM
PatrickKnight Offline

Sent you that pm buddy.

#11126 - 11/11/12 01:12 AM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;12202
Sent you that pm buddy.

Cool, but on the pull-down menu where you choose your color...it's Green, FDE or Pink only. Orange, as I understand it is very difficult to find.

I have heard from some people that asked (the company) directly via e-mail if the orange would be made again, and no timeframe can be estimated for when.

Page 27 of 33 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 32 33 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.