header

Page 25 of 33 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
#11097 - 11/05/12 06:26 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

Originally Posted By: elof_alv;11990
I picked up the Micro Commander last week.
Like the blade and size, unfortunately hat to take it apart because the liner was only engaging a fraction, and sending it back from here to have it corrected is a no-go, might get confiscated on the way back...
A few moments with coarse diamond sharpener and it works fine now.
Took some sandpaper to it to adjust the scales, they were not lining up with liners, and took off some of the bite they had... way too coarse to carry in a pocket.
And while I was at it I stonewashed the liners to make them less shiny.

Sorry no pics at the moment, will take some later and post them here.

It is not uncommon to have "issues" with an Emerson. I choose the ones I own carefully, but that's not always realistic for everyone. Since so many of us buy knives before ever holding them.

#11098 - 11/05/12 09:45 PM
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Need2Know;11991
It is not uncommon to have "issues" with an Emerson. I choose the ones I own carefully, but that's not always realistic for everyone. Since so many of us buy knives before ever holding them.

N2K, it's hard to hold knives if there are no real knife shops around. The only treat is somebody else's knives and they didn't have those particular knives.
I knew there are F&F issues with Emersons, picked up Mini A-100 a few months ago and the whole thing is slightly off, in that case liner worked properly, but still cuts and doesn't close on me...
At the moment, to my knowledge, there are just 2 guys in Oz importing 'tactical' folders which from December require a permit to import.

#11099 - 11/05/12 10:56 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

That's what I meant. Some of these knives are so difficult to track down that it's a "buy first, decide if I like it later" type situation.

Many of my buddies own and have carried CQC-7s. I carry the Super with some regularity, but only as a third blade. It's not practical for a primary EDC for my needs.

Ernie is a good guy, I've met him. And many of the knives are fine, just a few occasionally have "issues" of varing degree. I'm not a big liner lock fan, so I don't own a lot of Emerson folders. I do have a pair of small fixed blades and a trio of the autos Emerson and ProTech collaborated to make.

#11100 - 11/05/12 11:09 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

The Red ano. aluminum looks a tad pink in the photo, but..whatever...

#11101 - 11/05/12 11:12 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

I considered buying the little A-100 as a checked luggage companion. It's small blade length made it friendly to areas I may find myself while traveling. But I went with a trio of other small knives, creating options for that role (that do not include the A-100).

#11102 - 11/06/12 02:07 AM
elof_alv Online   content
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I went after Mini A-100 and Micro Commander because of the size, 3" blade is just right for edc, in the city anyway.

#11103 - 11/10/12 04:13 PM
PatrickKnight Offline

Ok N2K I could use some of your advice. I am in the market for a high end folder and think I have it down to a 550 or a 560. I am not at a place where I can handle them before purchase which sucks but it is what it is. Mainly im curious about ELMAX vs S35VN and how they both feel in the hand. I am also open to other knife suggestions but I want it to be a pretty hard use tool which rules out the other I was considering the Sypderco PM2 I can see myself breaking that tip pretty darn soon after I get it.

I really wish I could afford a real Hinderer or even a Strider SNG but the funds just arent there right now for one of those.

#11104 - 11/10/12 04:26 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

Originally Posted By: PatrickKnight;12168
Ok N2K I could use some of your advice. I am in the market for a high end folder and think I have it down to a 550 or a 560. I am not at a place where I can handle them before purchase which sucks but it is what it is. Mainly im curious about ELMAX vs S35VN and how they both feel in the hand. I am also open to other knife suggestions but I want it to be a pretty hard use tool which rules out the other I was considering the Sypderco PM2 I can see myself breaking that tip pretty darn soon after I get it.

I really wish I could afford a real Hinderer or even a Strider SNG but the funds just arent there right now for one of those.

If you want a large flipper, 560 is a great choice. It has far more love than hate of the two ZTs you mentioned. I too snap tips off of my Spydies. And springs eventualy fail on my autos. Now I EDC big beefy knives; mostly of overbuilt and simple / smart design.

Want a Strider or Hinderer???, it not too far out of reach. Look at it this way. A $20 bill set aside each week adds up to $1,000 after 50 weeks.

All the powdered "super" steels serve my needs. I touch up my EDCs every few days on a sharpening steel that lives in the kitchen.
I occasionally resharpen my knives on the Wicked, but only after they come in contact with concrete or some metals, etc. Either Elmax or the S35VN (S30V), and others like CTS-XHP were chosen by reputable knife makers for more than just marketing hype.

#11105 - 11/10/12 04:28 PM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

If you need in hand photos I can do them. I might have some free time for that this evening. Just let me know.

#11106 - 11/10/12 05:26 PM
PatrickKnight Offline

That would be awesome if you wouldnt mind.

And your right I could save to get a Strider but what good would it do me when my wife chops my arm off. I can convience her 400 bucks on a fixed blade is ok because she sees its usefullness but I have tryed to show her how a Strider would be usefull but it hasnt set in yet.

Of the two ZTs which do you personally think is more comfortable in the hand?

Page 25 of 33 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 32 33 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.