header

Page 16 of 33 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
#11007 - 08/05/12 11:39 PM
calemerson Offline

Lately its been a MT Whaleshark, or Spyderco Native 5 with a convex edge, along with a stag Schatt Morgan rail splitter. The rail splitter seems to get the most use while I am at work.

Thanks

Calemerson

#11008 - 08/06/12 12:53 AM
Trumby Online   content
Aussie Bush Rat
Die Hard Rat

Loc: NSW
Originally Posted By: Trumby;8032
Actually I don't fully trust any folder in an emergency.

I guess emergency was the wrong terminology. I was purely using it as a tool. A folder is easier to handle in cattle yards. After doing a run of marking up the race, you fold it and slip it back into your pocket.

We were starting about 6.00 am and working all day marking and branding, doing as many as 900 to a thousand bull calves. You get filthy, your knife gets filthy and as you get tired yo tend to take less care.

The last thing I expected was for the folder to let go and come back onto my fingers. I have a new respect for them now.
A small fixed blade would never fail in that way, but any knife accident is possible under those conditions, fixed blade or folder.

After that I went on to using a small fixed blade, I also tried surgical blades for a while, they are fine if the working conditions were perfect. laugh

Anyway, it's just a thing I have about folders now, if I'm putting any force onto one I remember the one that bit me.

Donít bother walking a mile in my shoes that would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head, thatíll freak you right out.

#11009 - 08/06/12 02:37 AM
Need2Know Offline
Die Hard Rat

For the tasks as you described and the conditions mentioned, I would use a fixed blade as primary with a folder in my pocket.

I have, when doing things, needed a second blade.

Your primary falls, is in need of a wipe down but nothing clean nearby to wipe with, you lend it to a buddy for a moment, and so on.
And as luck would have it, I'd need that knife but it's incumbered or out of reach. That's when the folder would come out to cover for the fixed. And if by some brainfart type event I leave the fixed blade at home or away from where I'd be using it, at least a folder can get me started.

Now for EDC a folder takes primary. But my day is not on a ranch or farm.

This all falls back on my earlier post. I equip with the "proper" gear for the tasks as best I can.

The knife that closed on you was not a frame-lock. These actually allow you to squeeze the lockbar onto the back of the blade and help prevent unwanted closures (while the knife is in your hand during use).
A liner lock or internal locking system does not give you this feature. The open-back design of a Hinderer XM (for example) lets debris and materials pass thru the body of the knife to help prevent gumming the lock with junk.

#11010 - 08/06/12 05:43 AM
Magoo Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Up a Tree
Calemerson....welcome to the Swamp ! wink

All Hail the Magic Blade

#11011 - 08/06/12 05:59 PM
infocus2006 Offline

Welcome from me 2!
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it." ...Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China

#11012 - 08/10/12 11:22 PM
calemerson Offline

Thank You

Calemerson

#11013 - 08/11/12 03:58 AM
elof_alv Offline
Die Hard Rat

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Need2Know;8073
The knife that closed on you was not a frame-lock. These actually allow you to squeeze the lockbar onto the back of the blade and help prevent unwanted closures (while the knife is in your hand during use).
A liner lock or internal locking system does not give you this feature. The open-back design of a Hinderer XM (for example) lets debris and materials pass thru the body of the knife to help prevent gumming the lock with junk.

I know what Ian is talking about, I had a build up of lint in the space between blade stop (at the bottom) and the scales (on the sides), with blade acting as a stopper for that, you get a small ball of fluff that will stop the lock from engaging properly. Linerlocks and framelocks might actually lock with that, but with a backlock the blade will just not lock in place... luckily never got cut because of that...

#11014 - 08/11/12 10:17 AM
Not2sharp Offline

my work EDC

#11015 - 08/11/12 09:58 PM
VANCE Offline

northfield white owl

#11016 - 08/11/12 10:36 PM
Carl Theile Offline
Survivor
Rattus norvegicus

Loc: Outside, anywhere
Quote:

Try that while flopping around with one leg strapped to 1500 lbs of pi$$ed off horse, broken ribs, dislocated ankle and a slight concussion, UPSIDE DOWN. laugh I now EDC a small fixed blade (The Warden)
-carl

You are not out of options until you quit.

Page 16 of 33 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32 33 >

Moderator:  Carl Theile, Joshua R.